Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
when that was posted before I think it did happen like right after he was elected and was traveling around with his media team for publicity which is why it looks so professional.

I think he was still considered pro peace then too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

speng31b posted:

oh my god

western world made this guy their mascot

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia is simply on a path to being a Chinese puppet. Nothing more.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

we should all be so lucky

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

euphronius posted:

how can a dictatorship like Ukraine even have a corruption scandal

that's easy - ukraine isn't a dictatorship. all the recent changes in leadership are due to a genuine responsiveness to the ukrainian people's frustration at corruption plaguing their government.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia's despotism looking attractive is simply more proof the dirtbag left must never take power in the west

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2kYTf5Zs38&t=24s

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

that gunter guy is my favorite of all the weirdos posting about the war
like a euro-pervert mixed with a guy who has a truck 90% covered with decals

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Russia's despotism looking attractive is simply more proof the dirtbag left must never take power in the west

:twisted:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
The whole human wave thing is doubly funny in context of that US military paper saying "Russians are way more casualty averse than us Americans, and thus to fight Russia we should charge headlong and overwhelm them with superior numbers, shocking them into indecision because they can't believe it how many casualties we are willing to sustain"

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

This leading to the end of the sino-soviet split would actually be hilarious.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

You also can’t sit around for years in a war, particularly since France had territory occupied, nearly all of Belgium was occupied. It’s not politically tenable, would destroy morale and public support, you need to fight to evaluate the new weapons and tactics anyways.

Even if the correct solutions - medium and heavy artillery, the tank, infiltration tactics - had been identified in 1914 there was no way to implement them without the growth of war industries, and again, it’s not feasible to wait around during a war.

By way of example, when in 1942 it was determined that the American Army would not be ready to fight the Wehrmacht head on in Northwest Europe until at least 1943, they were sent into combat in North Africa, then Sicily and Italy, instead. This was the correct decision, particularly compared to just sitting around in the UK for two years getting demoralized.

You also have to keep trying in case the last failure were just due to a lack of élan.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Anyway, as soon as one side figured out the right combination of tactics, the other side would compensate, the First World War ended because the Entente simply had too much of an industrial and manpower advantage because of the US.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Probably the place to ask. I'm soberizing and would like a good military history book about North Preston and our Black Loyalists

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

Probably the place to ask. I'm soberizing and would like a good military history book about North Preston and our Black Loyalists

I believe Calvin Ruck wrote some stuff on that and there’s a panel at the War Museum this week as well.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

shell https://twitter.com/noelreports/status/1622649699944566784

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, as soon as one side figured out the right combination of tactics, the other side would compensate, the First World War ended because the Entente simply had too much of an industrial and manpower advantage because of the US.

Like Alvaro Obregon figuring out trenches and barbed wire and artillery and machine guns from the news then immediately destroying Villa's cavalry. One side got the new war

E: thanks FF

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

he clearly brought a crew to have this filmed, and then he released it? how did this footage he took, that makes him look bad, get out there? was it his decision?

Here's a Kyiv Post write-up on this for a bit more context, from 2019 (though original video links are now dead, curious that). Lmao at these in particular:

quote:

However, the biggest argument erupted when someone informed Zelensky that the veterans had illegal arms, which they allegedly stored under their beds. The president then demanded they remove the weapons from Zolote.

When one veteran, Denys Yantar, said they had no arms and wanted instead to discuss protests against the planned disengagement that had taken place across Ukraine, Zelensky became furious.

“Listen, Denys, I’m the president of this country. I’m 41 years old. I’m not a loser. I came to you and told you: remove the weapons. Don’t shift the conversation to some protests,” Zelensky said, videos of the exchange show. As he said this, Zelensky aggressively approached Yantar, who heads the National Corps, a political offshoot of the far-right Azov volunteer battalion, in Mykolaiv city.

“But we’ve discussed that,” Yantar said.

“I wanted to see understanding in your eyes. But, instead, I saw a guy who’s decided that this is some loser standing in front of him,” Zelensky said.

Captured on video, the incident sparked significant criticism on social media. Many claimed that Zelensky should have spoken more politely to war veterans. Shortly after the conversation, Zelensky admitted on social media that some of the talks were “emotional.”

quote:

Andriy Biletsky, head of National Corps and the Azov Battalion, threatened Zelensky on his YouTube channel that more veterans would head to Zolote if the president tried to evict them from the town. “There will be thousands there instead of several dozen,” he said.

quote:

Singer Sofia Fedyna, who is a lawmaker with the European Solidarity party of former President Petro Poroshenko, which has 27 seats in parliament, was particularly aggressive in her response. She issued physical threats against Zelensky.

“Mr. President thinks he is immortal,” she said in a video shared on Facebook. “A grenade may explode there, by chance. And it would be the nicest if this happened during Moscow’s shelling when someone comes to the front line wearing a white or blue shirt.”

Zelensky has previously visited the front line dressed in civilian clothing, rather than military fatigues.

Kyiv Post 3 years later - "Russian propaganda has failed to sell the "Nazis in Ukraine" narrative almost anywhere abroad."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

now i'm not an expert in shellcrafting, but it seems to me that you could have a more efficient setup than this

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Here's a Kyiv Post write-up on this for a bit more context, from 2019 (though original video links are now dead, curious that). Lmao at these in particular:

Kyiv Post 3 years later - "Russian propaganda has failed to sell the "Nazis in Ukraine" narrative almost anywhere abroad."

it's more like NATO propaganda has an obvious home advantage and the powers that be decided we should like nazis now, and so it goes

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i wonder if they're doing that thing where "anywhere abroad" actually means "the us and its vassals"

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

now i'm not an expert in shellcrafting, but it seems to me that you could have a more efficient setup than this

To me, it seems slow. How many guns are supposed to be fed at this rate? Is the final step we saw the total output for the factory? If yes, it's like 6 shells a minutes top. It's under 9k a day even if every single one of them goes to Ukraine and the plant runs 24 hours a day non-stop.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

russian propaganda is powerful enough to overturn us elections, but not powerful enough to convince anyone that the guys with SS tattoos are bad news. it's got a very specific operating window

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

You also can’t sit around for years in a war, particularly since France had territory occupied, nearly all of Belgium was occupied. It’s not politically tenable, would destroy morale and public support, you need to fight to evaluate the new weapons and tactics anyways.

Imagine if Ukraine said "ok, we're just going to sit in defensive works for the next 3 years while we receive enough western material/training and develop a whole new doctrine for how to push Russia out". Aid would dry up to 0 within the month and Zelensky would probably get himself couped and killed in less time than that.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

supersnowman posted:

To me, it seems slow. How many guns are supposed to be fed at this rate? Is the final step we saw the total output for the factory? If yes, it's like 6 shells a minutes top. It's under 9k a day even if every single one of them goes to Ukraine and the plant runs 24 hours a day non-stop.

The simplest way I can explain this is that trends in the arms industry have focused on minimizing labour cost rather than maximizing output. So, it comes back to two conflicting definitions of "efficiency". More generally, is the main purpose of the industry to produce munitions or to generate profit?

Orange Devil posted:

Imagine if Ukraine said "ok, we're just going to sit in defensive works for the next 3 years while we receive enough western material/training and develop a whole new doctrine for how to push Russia out". Aid would dry up to 0 within the month and Zelensky would probably get himself couped and killed in less time than that.

Exactly. Plus, it's almost impossible to stress how traumatic 1871 was to France and the French Army. It was far more disruptive than 2014 to Ukraine, it deeply shook the nation. The French Army and state had to attack, not only because of their own evaluation, in military terms, of the defeat at Sedan, but also for a variety of powerful institutional, political and cultural forces.

Hell, even the Dreyfus Affair can be traced directly to the shock of 1871. The relationship between the French Army, government and public. There were so many things wrapped up in that defeat and the lost territories that to not only fail to reclaim them but also not reclaim additional territory lost in 1914 was not tenable, at any level of French society. British involvement on the Continent, which was not the typical British way of war, was also a result of 1871 insofar as the military alliance between Britain and France was contingent on Britain committing to fight the battles that were ideologically, if not practically, required in any European war after 1871.

Imagine US forces sitting around after Pearl Harbour until they were able to build up enough forces, develop appropriate doctrine and produce the equipment to just steam towards Japan in 1945. That was never in the cards.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Feb 6, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/maria_drutska/status/1622635073194401792

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's a step up from the video of the British factory. Well "factory", more like artisinal workshop. Or well, more like shitshow.

That said, yes, it's still not industrial scale production at all. The machines are still primarily cost-cutting by cutting out labour rather than increasing throughput.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

doesn't this imply that putin is such a titan of history that he is worthy or replacing lenin once he eventually croaks?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is the ideal armaments factory. You may not like it, but this is what profitable shellcrafting looks like.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

It's a step up from the video of the British factory. Well "factory", more like artisinal workshop. Or well, more like shitshow.

That said, yes, it's still not industrial scale production at all. The machines are still primarily cost-cutting by cutting out labour rather than increasing throughput.

Link?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

if Putin wasn't there to focus their attention these people would be murdering kittens

and that's why Putin ftw

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's the one from BAE on 155mm production at their new plant.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj8KjjZVZYw

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

oh my god they hand paint the shells

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
only the finest bespoke artisanal munitions, hand-forged by master smiths

no orc can stand against such weapons of legend

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Literally one of the things I saw the US do better in the US video, yes. Though still painting them 1 at a time and taking a bunch of seconds each is very lolworthy if you know anything about what modern industrial production can look like.

I'm real curious to see a Chinese shell factory now tbh. I mean, let's just say this is what a Chinese port looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtGDRhXWvng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

By way of comparison,

National Filling Factory No.4 – Georgetown

William Weir, the Director of Munitions in Scotland, was given the task of overseeing the building of The Scottish Filling Factory or National Filling Factory (N.F.F.) No.4. The site selected for the factory comprised 250 acres of agricultural land at Fulwood near Houston in Renfrewshire. The site was chosen due to its close proximity to Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock although daily commuting distance for such a large workforce as expected still necessitated the building of new housing adjacent to the factory for the labour force.

Other factors influencing the site’s location was the availability of an abundant river and domestic water supplies plus ready access to the railway network via the nearby Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway. It had two railway stations and its own branch line.

The factory was to be responsible for assembling 40,000 items of quick firing ammunition and 200,000 lbs of breech load cartridges on a weekly basis. It comprised ammunition assembly rooms, cartridge filling areas, workshops, power station, offices, canteens, shift changing rooms, boiler house, staff accommodation and a railway station. Its estimated construction costs were £160,000.

Sir Robert McAlpine construction company were selected to build the factory. Construction commenced on 25th September 1915 with production starting in January 1916 with 200 women assembling cartridges. By the end of June staff numbers had grown to 3,229.

After a visit to N.F.F. No.4 by David Lloyd George it was re-named “Georgetown” in his honour.

By February 1916, there were problems supplying sufficient TNT explosive, so Lloyd George authorised the factory to use amatol, an 80/20 mix of ammonium nitrate and TNT. The first Georgetown factory had not been built to conduct this type of filling, so a second factory had to be built. Construction of the No 2 factory started in March 1916. It was located to the west of the first factory, and was designed to fill 160,000 18-pounder, 15,000 60-pounder, 50,000 4.5-inch, and 15,000 6-inch high explosives shells per week, along with 285,000 fuses and gaines required for these shells. Construction of the second factory brought the total site area to 540 acres within a 5-mile perimeter fence. Final construction costs for the finished site were calculated to be £1,451,354.

By June 1918 the factories workforce reached 11,088 of which most were women. In the latter respect Georgetown was no different from the majority of the other N.F.F.s. However, it was unique in that it had female technical managers. From June 1916, Miss Agnes Borthwick was the Works Manager of the BL Works, where breech-loaded cartridges were filled. She became Works Manager of No.1 Factory in July 1916, which included the filling of QF (Quick firing) cartridges. In April 1917 she took over the Works Manager post for the No.2 factory which filled shells. In April 1917 her post at the No.1 factory was taken over by Miss Jean B. Kyle and later by Miss Phoebe Duncan in May 1918.

The factory had a lively social life, and even had its own magazine, the Georgetown Gazette. This featured photographs of as many workers as possible, included sketches of the filling operations within the factory, and covered the visit of a young Winston Churchill to Georgetown.

Peep some of the workforce numbers For the filling factories Here

e: a paper on how factory no. 13 exploded gives you an idea of the scale, and is interesting in its own right

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Feb 6, 2023