Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I have to wonder if stuff was this whacked out in Rome in the 60s BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

East Palestine, Ohio could go boom very shortly:

https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1622409784593993729

this is basically what the derailment looked like, as the vinyl chloride is burning enough that 400 gallons of water hasn't put the fire out, so the firefighters have been told to back off:

https://twitter.com/ismithKDKA/status/1621941466355441665

Is 400 gallons right? Doesn't seem like much

Midjack posted:

Someone post the Pompeii tweets

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is 400 gallons right? Doesn't seem like much

woops, 400K gallons. Missed the K!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

tbh 400 gallons of water wouldnt have put it out either

~technical correctness on a forum~
*guitar sting*

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

No idea if it's real

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Guarantee they’re thinking about it, even if it wasn’t done/photographed.

Real enough.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

Seeing as how Julius Caesar founded the Triumvirate and had effectively destroyed the Roman Constitution (which had been under repeated assault for over a generation), and violent purges had become something of a norm, I would argue that things were more hosed up in 60 BC Rome.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Crossposting from the ME thread:

Flavahbeast posted:

huge quake in SE Turkey, I think 7.8 would be the largest magnitude on record

https://twitter.com/USGS_Quakes/status/1622407107416043520

Brown Moses posted:

There's just been a second earthquake
https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/status/1622548650034401280

This film crew was broadcasting live when it happened:
https://twitter.com/oztrk_aydn/status/1622548031366221826

So at first there was a strong earthquake in southern Turkey/northern Syria at night while people slept in their homes, then there was a second strong earthquake in the region as people were searching in the rubble and the already damaged buildings. Pretty much the worst case scenario. Erdogan said Turkish deaths alone are over 900 after the first earthquake, but considering the second one and the frail state of buildings and civil society in Syria, it wouldn't surprise me if the number of casualties reaches five figures. This is just terrible all around :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
An earthquake woke a bunch of people up in Buffalo less than an hour ago. Epicenter is within the metro area, a few miles east of downtown.

USGS estimates it at 3.8±0.2 on the moment magnitude scale, three kilometres deep.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us6000jlqv/executive

e: Bad post timing. To be clear, this one isn’t generally devastating.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 6, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So, the Turkey situation.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

Monster quake hits. Eleven minutes later, there is an aftershock that would be significant on its own, almost in the same place.

Nine hours after that, there’s another major quake centered a hundred kilometers to the north.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Old man yells at cloud blimp

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1622364859076677633

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

what on earth that’s confused even for him

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Complex pattern… of a straight line?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Nothing a Sharpie can't fix!

Also: I love how EVERY deal he makes is somehow the greatest deal ever.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The amount of people I've seen talk about it "maneuvering" or "loitering over sensitive areas" is insane.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I got a sensitive area it can loiter over

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

VSOKUL girl posted:

whereas DS9 you can only sometimes watch out of order

I bounced off DS9 season 2 a number of times. I loving hate everything about the maquis. So stupid. So when I was IK in SciFiWiFi I ran a competition to show me the very best of DS9. Didn't care about spoilers or order or anything. Each poster got a few sentences to set the stage for the episode if they wanted to.

Doing it that way was the only way I could get interested in the show enough to watch past season 2. Which I eventually did (Except the stupid baseball episode because baseball is stupid).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Alright then, where's the body of the pilot?

CommieGIR posted:

Nothing a Sharpie can't fix!

Also: I love how EVERY deal he makes is somehow the greatest deal ever.

He's lost sight of the fact that he wouldn't be the one making the deal and that giving Dark Brandon credit for the best deal ever would run counter to Donnie Safbrains' messaging.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CainFortea posted:

I bounced off DS9 season 2 a number of times. I loving hate everything about the maquis. So stupid. So when I was IK in SciFiWiFi I ran a competition to show me the very best of DS9. Didn't care about spoilers or order or anything. Each poster got a few sentences to set the stage for the episode if they wanted to.

Doing it that way was the only way I could get interested in the show enough to watch past season 2. Which I eventually did (Except the stupid baseball episode because baseball is stupid).

This about sums up my experience with DS9 as well.

For whatever reason the show never "clicked" for me. I can see why others enjoy it. I just don't.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ASAPI posted:

For whatever reason the show never "clicked" for me. I can see why others enjoy it. I just don't.

It did click, but I had to watch the best of the best first. Then go back and fill in the rest of it by watching it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
When I was a kid DS9 seemed like a lame knockoff of TNG and I never caught it except randomly in the middle of seasons. Watching it from the beginning changed my mind real quick

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ASAPI posted:

That’s fair, I was watching during the original run and got invested in the characters and story arcs and felt they paid off well, but would understand trying to watch 25 years later and dealing with some of the clunkier eps. I still think the two part ep with changelings on earth and how the Federation must contend with trading democratic freedoms for security theater, and how that is shown to be a way for a free society to destroy itself as a completely disproportionate response is a masterful take on 9/11, and it aired in 1996.

I had a similar experience with Babylon 5, had been hearing for years it was comparable to DS9 so gave it a try but couldn’t get invested and bailed mid way through season 1. I liked some parts but not enough to keep watching.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 6, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s fair, I was watching during the original run and got invested in the characters and story arcs and felt they paid off well, but would understand trying to watch 25 years later and dealing with some of the clunkier eps. I still think the two part ep with changelings on earth and how the Federation must contend with trading democratic freedoms for security theater, and how that is shown to be a way for a free society to destroy itself as a completely disproportionate response is a masterful take on 9/11, and it aired in 1996.

I had a similar experience with Babylon 5, had been hearing for years it was comparable to DS9 so gave it a try but couldn’t get invested and bailed mid way through season 1. I liked some parts but not enough to keep watching.

Yeah Babylon 5 is rough. I've tried multiple times to get into it but so much of it is so dated that it's hard to get into.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That whole bit about the changeling menace was one of the things I really didn't like about DS9. The Federation is supposed to be better than us. Yes it's unrealistic but I don't care. It's space ships, it's okay to not be real.

Edit: yea, B5 is rough to start. Still one of the best payoffs in TV though. Especially if you enjoy the Dominion War or the aformentioned "how much is our safety worth" things from DS9. It goes hard on that stuff.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
"hey, so your dad was kinda famous right?"

"well, sorta"

"well, what did he do?"

"it wasn't really about what *he* did"

https://twitter.com/PGourevitch/status/1622646384779198468

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fbi-arrests-2-suspects-accused-planning-attack-baltimore-power-grid-rcna69324

Two Neo-Nazis accused of plotting to attack power substations in and around Baltimore. One of them is one of the founders of Atomwaffen. This is a pretty significant and serious threat.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CainFortea posted:

That whole bit about the changeling menace was one of the things I really didn't like about DS9. The Federation is supposed to be better than us. Yes it's unrealistic but I don't care. It's space ships, it's okay to not be real.

Edit: yea, B5 is rough to start. Still one of the best payoffs in TV though. Especially if you enjoy the Dominion War or the aformentioned "how much is our safety worth" things from DS9. It goes hard on that stuff.

That’s fair, although I appreciate DS9 writers take on the federation in how it’s shown as flawed and makes mistakes but overall still a good place to live. Little things like how Sisko’s dad runs a restaurant cooking non replicated food to preserve New Orleans culture, new books are being written, and many people aren’t in starfleet and that’s fine. I liked how the maquis offended Sisko by how he’s gotten so much from the Federation that he doesn’t understand why anyone would leave even if they have defensible reasons.

Also excellent (if not perfect) takes on the Ferengi where Quark notes his people are greedy but at the same time never committed a genocide against other Ferengi, or how there’s a Klingon restaurant on the station populated by a guy who’s not constantly at war with everyone.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fbi-arrests-2-suspects-accused-planning-attack-baltimore-power-grid-rcna69324

Two Neo-Nazis accused of plotting to attack power substations in and around Baltimore. One of them is one of the founders of Atomwaffen. This is a pretty significant and serious threat.

Good thing they're just lone wolfs.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Edit: Guess I gotta be quicker on the draw in these parts!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Two Neo-Nazis accused of plotting to attack power substations in and around Baltimore. One of them is one of the founders of Atomwaffen. This is a pretty significant and serious threat lone wolf attack by someone with mental illness that was luckily thwarted by authorities.
FTFY, since the US absolutely refuses to admit we are involved in a decades-long right-wing terror campaign.

Here's some fun context: https://www.businessinsider.com/electrical-power-grid-attack-us-infrastructure-terrorism-2023-1

quote:

An Insider investigation has found that attacks against the electrical grid nationwide are at an all-time high — and experts say the greatest threat comes from right-wing extremists seeking to sow chaos and accelerate the devolution of the social order. The investigation, which includes an analysis of newly released Department of Energy data, visits to substations, a review of law enforcement records from nine jurisdictions, as well as neo-Nazi propaganda, and interviews with six power industry and extremism experts, found that attacks on the grid spiked dramatically last year, with a 72 percent increase over 2021.

According to Department of Energy statistics, human attacks were responsible for 171 "electric disturbance incidents" around the country in 2022, compared with 99 in 2021. (Insider's review of the data counted incidents that the Department of Energy labeled as the result of vandalism, sabotage, actual physical attack, cyber event and suspicious activity.)

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 6, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Antifa yet again destroying our cities

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
oh no, AI did a transphobe again

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1622669190497964032

#1 thing driving all of my thinking with all of this poo poo is that venture capital bros just took every mention of "crypto", replaced with with "AI", and we're back in the same dumb cycle again. We're even back to the Microsoft AI chatbot Tay proving it had the reich stuff at the slightest prompting.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked how the maquis offended Sisko by how he’s gotten so much from the Federation that he doesn’t understand why anyone would leave even if they have defensible reasons.

That's the thing, though. The Maquis don't have defensible reasons.

"Hi! We're going to settle these planets in a disputed zone! Thank you for fighting a war in defense of our territorial claims! Wait, what, some of these planets were ceded to Cardassia in the peace treaty? We demand you go to war over those planets! What do you mean no?! My family has lived on this planet for part of an entire generation! This is our ancestral home! We don't WANT you to move us to a new planet and set us up there! gently caress you, we're breaking off and are going to attack the Cardassians until we get what we want!"

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Looks like they moved back to a simpler AI when it happened which didn't have to content moderation tools necessary.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

dammit who showed the AI the Michael Richards standup routine

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McNally posted:

That's the thing, though. The Maquis don't have defensible reasons.

"Hi! We're going to settle these planets in a disputed zone! Thank you for fighting a war in defense of our territorial claims! Wait, what, some of these planets were ceded to Cardassia in the peace treaty? We demand you go to war over those planets! What do you mean no?! My family has lived on this planet for part of an entire generation! This is our ancestral home! We don't WANT you to move us to a new planet and set us up there! gently caress you, we're breaking off and are going to attack the Cardassians until we get what we want!"

Also the maquis have bigly "Traditional Values" vibes with Eddington going on about how replicated food just isn't as good.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The Maquis were the good guys

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grip it and rip it posted:

The Maquis were the good guys

Maquis are the same kinds of people who go winter hiking on mountains and then die, while putting hundreds of other people at risk searching for their stupid rear end.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That poo poo in Turkey is loving horrible. Earthquakes are so scary.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Were the Maquis also involved in that TNG S7 episode where they have to go deal with a land dispute involving Space Native Americans and the Traveler shows up at the end to kidnap Wesley? I distinctly remember that involving the disputed colonies along the Cardassian border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Kazinsal posted:

Were the Maquis also involved in that TNG S7 episode where they have to go deal with a land dispute involving Space Native Americans and the Traveler shows up at the end to kidnap Wesley? I distinctly remember that involving the disputed colonies along the Cardassian border.

Same issue, but they weren't involved with the Maquis.