Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

hallo spacedog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T9QpjjXzyg
Interesting video about the oldest Japanese restaurant in Los Angeles.

charming little nook, but a friend went and the lady literally pulled out a frozen day-lee foods sukiyaki mix out of the freezer :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Development posted:

charming little nook, but a friend went and the lady literally pulled out a frozen day-lee foods sukiyaki mix out of the freezer :negative:

That's hilarious

Development
Jun 2, 2016

been doing some home konro grilling! I wish we had room for a bigger grill but it is what it is. really need to buy some teppo skewers though...

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Looks delicious. Definitely get some teppogushi.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Folks, I am based in the UK and have been unable to find Japanese short grain rice for ages. I'm talking about the bog standard rice that I am used to having with anything Japanese, which has lovely short grains and a delicate flavour. I normally get stuff from Wing Yip which does have Asian foods besides Chinese, but I have not seen any such rice there. Is there a place I can order it online? What should I be looking for? Since I think "Japanese rice" is a bit too vague.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Calrose

Alternate option: arborio :italy:

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, any short grain "japonica" rice is what you want, those might sound like jokes but they are related to Japanese rice. Koshihikari is I think the most common cultivar in Japan itself.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Scythe posted:

Yeah, any short grain "japonica" rice is what you want, those might sound like jokes but they are related to Japanese rice. Koshihikari is I think the most common cultivar in Japan itself.

Japonica was what I'd heard before, but didn't know if that was a specific type, or just referred to any Japanese rice.

So can I really treat arborio just like I would any other of these options? Might be a silly question but I only ask since obviously I've only used it for risotto and I didn't know to what extent the consistency was a result of the rice itself or the technique.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

So can I really treat arborio just like I would any other of these options?

I think that going to be a matter of opinion. I think Arborio doesn't clump together in the same way, or perhaps better to say, at a comparable magnitude.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I wouldn't sub arborio for "normal" rice. Incidentally, I switched to carnaroli for risotto. I like it more than arborio.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Folks, I am based in the UK and have been unable to find Japanese short grain rice for ages. I'm talking about the bog standard rice that I am used to having with anything Japanese, which has lovely short grains and a delicate flavour. I normally get stuff from Wing Yip which does have Asian foods besides Chinese, but I have not seen any such rice there. Is there a place I can order it online? What should I be looking for? Since I think "Japanese rice" is a bit too vague.

Have you tried looking for koshihikari rice? just googling for "koshihikari UK" gave a ton of online shops.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Development posted:

Have you tried looking for koshihikari rice? just googling for "koshihikari UK" gave a ton of online shops.

I'll get some of this, thanks.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
You can order Nishiki rice from Sainsburys; some bigger stores have it in stock. https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/nishiki-medium-grain-rice-45kg

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

midori-a-gogo posted:

Got a ton of unripe greengage plums today so I'm gonna leave half to ripen to make faux-umeboshi from and throw the rest into some vodka with sugar for umeshu.

Update: This has been a much more successful experiment than the miso. Gonna let it age for another 6 months before removing the fruit but I had a little sneak taste and the faux-umeshu is very, very good. I'm sure most people won't find it much easier to get unripe greengages than to get ume, but if you're in western Europe or near a Turkish or Iranian community, they should start to be available around April.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hi, UK here. Honestly just get some royal umbrella jasmine rice for anything that isnt sushi. Its what the extremely good Japanese restaurant close to me does

Risotto rice is definitely very wrong

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Spuckuk posted:

Hi, UK here. Honestly just get some royal umbrella jasmine rice for anything that isnt sushi. Its what the extremely good Japanese restaurant close to me does

Risotto rice is definitely very wrong

Please don't use jasmine rice for Japanese food. Risotto arborio might be wrong but at least its closer than that.

As noted before just look for japonica, that should help

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Even Calrose is closer than jasmine rice.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

https://www.japancentre.com/en/categories/689-rice

Might be your best bet?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Japanese food thread, please advise. I've got a batch of Japanese curry that's watery AF, but can't take any more reducing or the flavors will just be too overwhelming.

Curry being yoshoku, it should just be fine to throw some unsalted butter and flour into another pan and make up some non-curry roux to thicken, right? Or should I look at a different thickener instead?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Japanese food thread, please advise. I've got a batch of Japanese curry that's watery AF, but can't take any more reducing or the flavors will just be too overwhelming.

Curry being yoshoku, it should just be fine to throw some unsalted butter and flour into another pan and make up some non-curry roux to thicken, right? Or should I look at a different thickener instead?

Curry roux is just roux with curry and garam masala, pretty sure.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

SwissArmyDruid posted:

can you try making a potato starch slurry with cold water and adding a bit at a time to thicken it?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Development posted:

can you try making a potato starch slurry with cold water and adding a bit at a time to thicken it?

I'd use potato starch as a thickener as a last resort. I don't like the texture the leftovers get. But that's entirely subjective and corn/potato starch slurries can be a great thickener. Just have to make sure the sauce gets over 203 F (it needs to get near boiling, doesn't need to boil though) for the starch to gelatinize and the sauce to thicken.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Hello. I want to get into incorporating more japenese curries into my life. I got some golden curry, and it should arrive soon. I was wondering if it would be possible to make like simple "drop in" packets of japanese curry for instant pot where I just cut up some raw carrots and potatoes and onion, and then portion them out with a block of the japense curry roux, and then dump them all into an instant pot to cook for a super quick stress free curry night. Obviously I'd make some rice and katsu or something as well.

Is this a good idea?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Scoop some the curry potato chunks into a food processor and blend them into a paste, then mix back into the curry. That's a really common way to get the desired thick Japanese curry texture.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Kwolok posted:

Hello. I want to get into incorporating more japenese curries into my life. I got some golden curry, and it should arrive soon. I was wondering if it would be possible to make like simple "drop in" packets of japanese curry for instant pot where I just cut up some raw carrots and potatoes and onion, and then portion them out with a block of the japense curry roux, and then dump them all into an instant pot to cook for a super quick stress free curry night. Obviously I'd make some rice and katsu or something as well.

Is this a good idea?

At that point, you could just batch cook a large amount and freeze several portions for thawing later. Why bother with raw veg?

zone
Dec 6, 2016
Can someone direct me to any books or otherwise online resources where I can learn more about japanese pickles and pickling? Bonus, but not necessary, if there's something good about the history of food preservation in japan thrown in.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

zone posted:

Can someone direct me to any books or otherwise online resources where I can learn more about japanese pickles and pickling? Bonus, but not necessary, if there's something good about the history of food preservation in japan thrown in.

hallo spacedog posted:

I have this book which is pretty good. Looks like it's out of print again but it should eventually come back in print.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Thanks! this looks good. Time to get hold of a copy.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Looks like there are a few reasonably priced used copies. Might be some on abebooks too

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Has anyone used the Mr. Bento lunch containers by Zojirushi? And if so, any tips/ideas? Bought one forever ago, never used it, but now I'm starting a new job and figured it would be a good opportunity to use it. I have a book on bento recipes, but I've seen some posts on Reddit mentioning that the heat retention from the design makes some recipes turn out bad due to it essentially steaming the food.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

BadOptics posted:

Has anyone used the Mr. Bento lunch containers by Zojirushi? And if so, any tips/ideas? Bought one forever ago, never used it, but now I'm starting a new job and figured it would be a good opportunity to use it. I have a book on bento recipes, but I've seen some posts on Reddit mentioning that the heat retention from the design makes some recipes turn out bad due to it essentially steaming the food.

I have a Ms Bento (smaller version with one fewer container, but an optional in-container divider), though I rarely use it anymore now that I eat more lunches at home.

It’s great for its intended use, but you really do need to use it for one big relatively sauceless thing (rice, typically) and one soupy thing you want at the same temp as each other (either hot or cold), and then one or two room temp things; it won’t work if you try to use a room temp container for a hot/cold thing or vice versa, or if you try to mix hot and cold.

So Japanese lunch stuff works great of course. You just put hot rice in there, misoshiru or clear soup, and then whatever side/s you want (something salty/sweet/sour/fermented enough that it won’t spoil at room temp for a half-day). Karaage, tonkatsu, tamagoyaki, edamame, kimpira, carrot-hijiki, random suimono or sunomono, tsukemono, etc, all work great, as you’d expect.

The problem is that a lot of other cuisines don’t have that two-hot-plus-two-room-temp meal structure. Middle Eastern or Mediterranean stuff is a good candidate if you go all-cold and don’t mind a cold pita/bread/whatever, since you can use the rice bowl for that and the soup bowl for tzatziki/labneh/muhummara/hummus/etc (or actual soups, like gazpacho), then grape leaves or beets or spiced carrots or whatever in your side bowls. Probably even shawarma or kofte or whatever if you’re aggressive enough with your marinade/etc. Or you can go hot, with like mujaddara and harira plus sides.

I bet Indian stuff would work too, but I never tried it.

I couldn’t figure out how to make it work for other cuisines though, since a lot of American/Euro/Latin stuff doesn’t have a soup, or wants the protein to be the hot thing (and if it’s saucy you can’t put it in the rice bowl because it’ll leak, or if it’s supposed to be crispy it won’t be anymore as it steams itself in the rice bowl).

Development
Jun 2, 2016

on a recent trip to LA I got to try a lot of great cooking with spring ingredients.

this rice had salted cherry blossom tsukemono (these darn pickles were SO good)

kanto style sakura mochi with cherry blossom scented bean paste

roasted bamboo

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Going out for some Tonkotsu ramen on the weekend. I didn't know this previous times but I have heard you should choose "harder" / less cooked noodles with Tonkotsu?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's just personal preference. Have your nudes as hard as you like.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Would there happen to be a good cookbook that focuses on Japanese street food/comfort foods?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Would there happen to be a good cookbook that focuses on Japanese street food/comfort foods?

I have and like “Japanese Soul Cooking” by Ono and Salat as a starting point. You don’t really need to be precise with measurements for a lot of the dishes though, so don’t be afraid to start tweaking recipes as you get comfortable with them.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Scythe posted:

I have and like “Japanese Soul Cooking” by Ono and Salat as a starting point. You don’t really need to be precise with measurements for a lot of the dishes though, so don’t be afraid to start tweaking recipes as you get comfortable with them.

I second this recommendation, it's a really good book that has basically all the comfort recipes you could want to start with.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TheKingslayer posted:

Dunno if pub food counts as close enough but if so you might check out Robinson's Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook. There's also another book called Izakaya with no author published by Hardie Grant Books.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Robinson's Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook.

second this. also don't sleep on The Japanese Grill by Ono and Salat as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Thanks for the recs, y'all. These look like exactly what I was hunting.