Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Tomn posted:

I haven't used NVGs myself but if they're like any other kind of goggles even if not directly wearing them they'd be a bit uncomfortable and in the way to keep on you. Why do so when you don't need them? Especially if you're in combat conditions where they might get scuffed, dirtied, or shot up if you're keeping them on your helmet or something. Better to keep them in a safe container until the time comes to actually use them. After all, it's not like night is going to suddenly creep up on you by surprise requiring you to strap them on in a hurry.

Yes, modern ones click onto a bracket on the helmet, takes 30 seconds. You can then fold them up and out of the way or down in front of your eyes, but they make the helmet somewhat front heavy and are also fragile, so having them attached outside in daylight is generally pointless and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Comstar posted:

https://twitter.com/MalcontentmentT/status/1621392655342264320

Is the ground frozen enough for heavy armour operations? I really hope they do something dramatic like drive to the sea of Azoz or take back all the ground lost in the last month or something.

I mean, this could be related to the Chinese balloon(s?) as well.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Tomn posted:

I haven't used NVGs myself but if they're like any other kind of goggles even if not directly wearing them they'd be a bit uncomfortable and in the way to keep on you. Why do so when you don't need them? Especially if you're in combat conditions where they might get scuffed, dirtied, or shot up if you're keeping them on your helmet or something. Better to keep them in a safe container until the time comes to actually use them. After all, it's not like night is going to suddenly creep up on you by surprise requiring you to strap them on in a hurry.

Iirc nvgs are mounted onto an arm that then locks into the helmet, so they probably are kept in bags during the day by most people who have them. No sense having an expensive paper weight hanging off your helmet.

With respect to availability, I actually wonder what doctrine is for who gets a pair. You can commercially but decent NVG. It won’t compare to the export controlled cutting edge stuff, but it’ll probably help you not fall into a hole at night. Although then again in don’t know anything about night operations in general.

E: lol brutally beaten by leaving this thread open for a couple hours

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rad Russian posted:

EU: You can't sell your $10 widget for more than $2!

Russia: Ok, my widget now costs $1 (plus $10 for shipping and handling)

EU: Who could have foreseen this?

Ah yes the EBay gambit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Comstar posted:

Is the ground frozen enough for heavy armour operations? I really hope they do something dramatic like drive to the sea of Azoz or take back all the ground lost in the last month or something.

Both sides have had a strategic breather, with only some very localized fighting. This means that both Ukraine and Russians have fresh reserves so who ever takes the initiative knows that the enemy will have something to throw in their way or launch an assault on another sector of the front. IMO this will limit their willingness to start anything too rash. Maybe they have located weaknesses and will exploit those, we don't know. We might also see some indecisive feint attacks first as the armies try to pin the other side's reserves into combat and probe the defenses.

Also counter-attacking the precise locations where Russians have the strongest concentrations of troops and artillery would be counter-productive, it's better to attack where Russians are weak and then have to scramble to hold the lines.

The Kherson-Kharkiv offensive is a good example to look for: make some moderate local advances against Russians in one part of the front where they have a difficult logistical situation but still lots of experienced troops, meanwhile keep quiet about your elaborately planned offensive on the opposite part of the front where the defenders are much thinner stretched, finally forcing the enemy to withdraw on both sectors to plug the breaches. It's going to be hard for us to distinguish the ruses from the main thrusts, which is the intent because it is also hard for Russia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cantorsdust posted:

I mean, this could be related to the Chinese balloon(s?) as well.

Why would Ukraine's top brass hold a meeting over a stray weather balloon at the other side of the world?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Why would Ukraine's top brass hold a meeting over a stray weather balloon at the other side of the world?

What if Zelensky is now operating on Trumpian principles and lets Fox/OANN talking points dictate his agenda?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

steinrokkan posted:

I’m sorry, this was my mistake, I thought it was Biden’s top brass.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

What if Zelensky is now operating on Trumpian principles and lets Fox/OANN talking points dictate his agenda?

Ha. You should have known this is not a place of levity. The thread is only to be serious dammit.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

RoyKeen posted:

Ha. You should have known this is not a place of levity. The thread is only to be serious dammit.

chaos reins

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
To be honest I expected to be probed. Now I feel bad, jerk.

E: I'll offer a 12 hour probe for me to free the Horse. Even though I know it was self imposed.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 4, 2023

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Earlier in the thread it was mentioned Russian casualties are approaching/passed 200k. Has there been any upsurge in disabled Russian veterans being put back into the population? I haven't really seen any media of that so far. A couple of possible explanations IMO

1) A media blackout is preventing these veterans from voicing their thoughts/being shown to the population.
2) Disabled soldiers are being sequestered away (like in the early bits of the war wounded soldiers being sent to Belarussian hospitals)
3) Disabled soldiers mostly coming form poorer parts of Russia where there is smaller media presence.
4) Casualties skew more heavily towards KIA than WIA and subsequent disabled soldier, so they just aren't returning home at all.

The largest media presence I have seen so far is deserters (unsure if this is the most appropriate term for them) speak with media sources about how they gtfo of the army. There hasn't been many folks that have come back at all.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Donkringel posted:

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned Russian casualties are approaching/passed 200k. Has there been any upsurge in disabled Russian veterans being put back into the population? I haven't really seen any media of that so far. A couple of possible explanations IMO

1) A media blackout is preventing these veterans from voicing their thoughts/being shown to the population.
2) Disabled soldiers are being sequestered away (like in the early bits of the war wounded soldiers being sent to Belarussian hospitals)
3) Disabled soldiers mostly coming form poorer parts of Russia where there is smaller media presence.
4) Casualties skew more heavily towards KIA than WIA and subsequent disabled soldier, so they just aren't returning home at all.

The largest media presence I have seen so far is deserters (unsure if this is the most appropriate term for them) speak with media sources about how they gtfo of the army. There hasn't been many folks that have come back at all.

The only thing I remember is a video of a presumed veteran in a wheelchair trying to get on a bus. He was bitching at a bus driver for being a prick while the bus driver told him to go gently caress himself, wheelchair not his problem. That was several months ago at least.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There was a story in the local news here a couple of weeks ago about Russian citizens seeing Wagner convicts who had committed crimes against them on Russian TV after they returned from Ukraine, and the images from the interview that went with the story showed all five Wagner men had variously missing arms or legs. I don't think that kind of interview would have been allowed to show if Russia was trying to have a media blackout on injured soldiers returning, otherwise trying to hide them.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

The hiding wounded in Belarus thing seemed like a beat up to me, The closest available hospitals to some of the heaviest fighting were often in Belarus so it stands to reason that lots of wounded got sent there.

For the profoundly wounded, I imagine they are still in rehab wards or freshly out, stuck at home and not out and about (because newly profoundly disabled people aren't the most mobile) is probably the biggest part of why they aren't being seen. I think you are right that the KIA to WIA skews more KIA than for US operations where their ability to keep lots of war wounded soliders alive is massively better than anyone else, let alone Russia.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I can't read it because it's behind a paywall, but according to Norwegian media this article talks about China helping Russia by delivering gear / equipment for EWar / fighter plane parts / navigation systems

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-aids-russias-war-in-ukraine-trade-data-shows-11675466360

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TheRat posted:

I can't read it because it's behind a paywall, but according to Norwegian media this article talks about China helping Russia by delivering gear / equipment for EWar / fighter plane parts / navigation systems

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-aids-russias-war-in-ukraine-trade-data-shows-11675466360

https://archive.is/C6fi7

Haven’t read it yet but you can usually paste paywalled stuff into archive.is and get a readable version. I’m sure there are other ways too but this one consistently works for me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://archive.is/C6fi7

Haven’t read it yet but you can usually paste paywalled stuff into archive.is and get a readable version. I’m sure there are other ways too but this one consistently works for me.

That one works well but takes a while if the page isn't already archived. I usually try 12ft.io first, it's real easy just 12ft.io/<full url here>

I don't think it works on wsj though :v:

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
If anyone remembers the Russian dude doing a Hamlet with an "Azov" skull. Well, seems he got a 9mm round to his own skull at point blank range. This happened not on the battlefield.

quote:

Z-channels report that a Russian volunteer, who, as he claimed, performed with the skull of a military man from Azovstal , was shot in the head.

“02/04/23 at 00:30, the captain of the 4th brigade of the 2nd Army Corps of the 8th Army of the RF Armed Forces, the commander of an anti-UAV platoon and a member of the OPSB Igor “Bereg” Mangushev was taken to the neurosurgery in Stakhanov, LNR with a blind gunshot bullet wound to the head.

According to the nature of the wound, information from the doctors: it was made from a short-barreled weapon, a bullet, presumably 9 mm, at close range, the occipital-parietal region, the wound channel from behind down at 45 degrees. The circumstances of the incident are being investigated by the competent authorities, who are informed and work on the ground. In the interests of the investigation, we are not disclosing additional information yet. At the moment, according to information from doctors, the condition is stable and serious, with a negative trend, ”writes the Prizrak Novorossia channel and publishes a photo of the allegedly wounded Mangushev. There is no official confirmation of this information.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Donkringel posted:

The answer is 5, you’re not reading outlets reporting on this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Some more tank news.

-Canada is already transporting their first Leo-2 to Europe
-Portugal has announced over the weekend to send a small number of 2A6 Leo-2s
-Spain is still dithering, but it'll probably end up sending a small number of 2A4s, eventually
-Several other countries, including the Netherlands, haven't really announced any concrete numbers yet
-So far, there are confirmed 2A4s from Poland, and confirmed 2A6 from Germany, Portugal and Canada, the other countries haven't nailed all the details down yet

Edit:

More tanks! Germany has announced it now also wants to supply Ukraine with Leo-1 tanks, since Ukraine needs more tanks faster and yeah, a Leo-1 is still better than zero Leos.

Some context to the other article. The German Bundeswehr scrapped their last Leo-1s ages ago, the tank hasn't actually been in official use since 2003. But like with the Gepard (scrapped since 2012), there are still some kept by our MIC, and the government has allowed them to deliver the tanks into Ukraine.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 5, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ukrainian Pravda reports that Oleksii Reznikov, Ukrainian Minister of Defense is going to leave his post soon, most likely as a result of a recent corruption scandal

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/02/5/7387980/

The outlandish thing here is that the source claims that his replacement is Kirill Budanov, head of GUR MO (military intelligence) who, by all accounts, is a competent person (compared to, say, the leadership of SBU), but kinda a weird guy who loves attracting attention to himself (not really a good quality for a spook).

Reznikov provided a comment:

quote:

"I have not had any conversations regarding my resignation from this position. I will repeat my answer to other media: ‘Every official should realise that they are not in office for life. They have to begin a stage and finish it’.

So, I am ready for any turn of events. I am not ashamed of what I have done at all. I will definitely have something to show [from the things] I have done. And we'll see what happens. But every time I talk to Ukrainska Pravda something really happens, it's an interesting sign."

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 5, 2023

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is Bakhmut getting encircled?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kraftwerk posted:

Is Bakhmut getting encircled?

Slowly yes.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I seems like Russia has been attacking at all points in and around Bakhmut for the past ~24 hours at least. It's very possible they will end up capturing the city, but personally I would be surprised if they are able to exploit it into any kind of operational maneuver. We're in wait-and-see mode at the moment. Say a prayer or two for the Ukrainians and allies defending the city. It's been a particularly awful part of the front since last Spring, and is probably even harder at the moment.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Someone spotted a column of GAZelles with mounted machine guns somewhere in russia
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1622173656343355393?t=kKIU87oNKHGhiKpGPg261g&s=19

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's a column of tanks on road, so what?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

fatherboxx posted:

Ukrainian Pravda reports that Oleksii Reznikov, Ukrainian Minister of Defense is going to leave his post soon, most likely as a result of a recent corruption scandal

The outlandish thing here is that the source claims that his replacement is Kirill Budanov, head of GUR MO (military intelligence) who, by all accounts, is a competent person (compared to, say, the leadership of SBU), but kinda a weird guy who loves attracting attention to himself (not really a good quality for a spook).

What's weird about Budanov?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Willo567 posted:

What's weird about Budanov?

He can't shut up about Putin's super-ligma and body doubles, and is the source for Zelenskyy doing the “we aren't even sure if he's alive bit” earlier in January. In general, he definitely has a vibe going on, and it's absolutely not “your average Sovietosphere millenial”.

fatherboxx posted:

To my mild surprise, this ended up being a cabinet reshuffle that didn't increase the distance between Reznikov and the public funds at all. Mind you, I'm not particularly convinced that Reznikov is the malicious party here, but I sure hope he's got more going for him than the “well actually” statement about food prices and legal details that he, lawyer, did lawyerishly put out on the first week of the scandal. Anyway, the reshuffle:
1) Budanov – minister of defence
2) Reznikov – minister of strategic industries
3) Malyuk – head of SBU (this is a de jure change only, he's been the acting director of SBU since Bakanov was fired for the early invasion failures)
4) Klimenko – minister of internal affairs

Edit: Funnily enough, Reznikov has just gone on some late night news to say that he does refuse to accept such rotation, and it's news to him at all. https://www.ft.com/content/511b0e27-f001-41d3-9248-68614d731005

Edit2: Lmao, reshuffle is cancelled now, only formalizaiton of Malyuk and Klimenko promotionst his week. https://t.me/David_Arakhamia/201

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 6, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Now that's not to say these CLU things live forever, I'm sure those get lost, damaged, blown up, etc. But they probably live a lot longer than they would if attached to a launcher tube.
A CLU with a charged battery is also an extremely useful thing to have around even with no rounds available.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
This could probably go in a handful of different threads, but interesting piece of investigative reporting from OCCRP released tracking russian payments to european politicians and journalists in exchange for favorable coverage and proposing pro-russian bills. Also mentions the program to bring in election observers under questionable pretenses, which I know has been remarked upon in this thread previously.

https://www.occrp.org/en/investigat...ation-of-crimea

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This could probably go in a handful of different threads, but interesting piece of investigative reporting from OCCRP released tracking russian payments to european politicians and journalists in exchange for favorable coverage and proposing pro-russian bills. Also mentions the program to bring in election observers under questionable pretenses, which I know has been remarked upon in this thread previously.

https://www.occrp.org/en/investigat...ation-of-crimea

Should have done it through the Wagner group then it would have just been normal lobbying

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cantide posted:

Should have done it through the Wagner group then it would have just been normal lobbying

In some countries this is in fact normal lobbying

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He can't shut up about Putin's super-ligma and body doubles, and is the source for Zelenskyy doing the “we aren't even sure if he's alive bit” earlier in January. In general, he definitely has a vibe going on, and it's absolutely not “your average Sovietosphere millenial”.

To my mild surprise, this ended up being a cabinet reshuffle that didn't increase the distance between Reznikov and the public funds at all. Mind you, I'm not particularly convinced that Reznikov is the malicious party here, but I sure hope he's got more going for him than the “well actually” statement about food prices and legal details that he, lawyer, did lawyerishly put out on the first week of the scandal. Anyway, the reshuffle:
1) Budanov – minister of defence
2) Reznikov – minister of strategic industries
3) Malyuk – head of SBU (this is a de jure change only, he's been the acting director of SBU since Bakanov was fired for the early invasion failures)
4) Klimenko – minister of internal affairs

Edit: Funnily enough, Reznikov has just gone on some late night news to say that he does refuse to accept such rotation, and it's news to him at all. https://www.ft.com/content/511b0e27-f001-41d3-9248-68614d731005

Edit2: Lmao, reshuffle is cancelled now, only formalizaiton of Malyuk and Klimenko promotionst his week. https://t.me/David_Arakhamia/201

Edit2 sounds like a huge deal given recent US finger-wagging about perception of propriety. Is this like those guys arguing behind closed doors and Zelensky changing his mind? I feel like I am missing some context that makes this smaller than it kinda sounds?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

Edit2 sounds like a huge deal given recent US finger-wagging about perception of propriety. Is this like those guys arguing behind closed doors and Zelensky changing his mind? I feel like I am missing some context that makes this smaller than it kinda sounds?

Zelenskyy's party wants to retain Reznikov as a minister because he's on friendly terms both with the domestic audience and the Ramstein courtiers. However, they want him removed from the ministry of defence – his storytelling on it simply doesn't offer any tolerable outs on the scandal, given, you know, the existential war for survival going on and all. Reznikov is not following along with any of that, however, saying that he's not fit to lead another ministry. While he's been saying for days that he's at peace with the theoretical scenario of Zelenskyy asking him to resign, I feel that there's a bit more going on than meets the eye here.

The unwritten Edit3 here is that now a different member of the Zelenskyy faction is saying that MoD reshuffle specifically is suspended to avoid accidental damage through leadership vacuum on February's Ramstein meeting/guesstimated Russian offensive slated for soon™. https://meduza.io/feature/2023/02/0...-kirill-budanov

All in all, Zelenskyy is doing fair strides against corruption – mainly not due to select Republicans posturing, but EU doing the typical EU things after they give you 50 billion euro to spend on specific goals, you being a membership candidate state no less. Reznikov is simply going to be the litmus test on where Ukrainian general population's perception of corruption stands right now, and what Zelenskyy will do when continued friendship is incompatible with the national objectives. The last time he had that situation was with the now-fired SBU boss, but it took months to resolve properly (hard to blame him for having competing priorities in the early months of this invasion).

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 6, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1622602875338629120?t=NvbgGpcntDNfQQ654eGnZg&s=19

New Kofman thread on the frontline status. Still marks the repeat of grand march to Kyiv as unlikely,.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I’ve seen plenty of discussion of Ukrainian corruption over the last year, both in this thread as well as in popular videos like Perun as well as CivDiv and WillyOAM’s interviews with Ukrainian soldiers and international volunteers.

But now I’m seeing this corrupt Ukraine narrative everywhere in conservative media as a critical deciding factor in our military support of Ukraine.

The cynic in me thinks this is just Republicans trying to sow doubt because they already tried messaging about abandoning Ukraine because of the cost and it didn’t go over over well.

But, if I were to take these critics at their word, I suppose they’re being triggered by the Ukrainian stories of graft and incompetence because it reminds them of the Iraqi and Afghan government failures.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I’ve seen plenty of discussion of Ukrainian corruption over the last year, both in this thread as well as in popular videos like Perun as well as CivDiv and WillyOAM’s interviews with Ukrainian soldiers and international volunteers.

But now I’m seeing this corrupt Ukraine narrative everywhere in conservative media as a critical deciding factor in our military support of Ukraine.

The cynic in me thinks this is just Republicans trying to sow doubt because they already tried messaging about abandoning Ukraine because of the cost and it didn’t go over over well.

But, if I were to take these critics at their word, I suppose they’re being triggered by the Ukrainian stories of graft and incompetence because it reminds them of the Iraqi and Afghan government failures.

They've been a bit more vocal about ever since they figured out their House leadership, but it doesn't feel like it's a particularly omnipresent story. Russia, of course, is fanning the flames of the ongoing scandal, but it'll too pass.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I think there's been a pretty concerted push for RU propaganda to time with what looks to be their latest offensive (or at least ramping up) rather than the usual Russian "throw everything out there and see what sticks" kind of propaganda. Especially in response to escalating Western aid with regard to tanks, which is also something I've been wondering about for a few weeks - I'm still waiting to see what happens this month but I'm wondering if the go ahead for tanks came because Russia is looking comparatively more dangerous than in previous months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Zelenskyy's party wants to retain Reznikov as a minister because he's on friendly terms both with the domestic audience and the Ramstein courtiers. However, they want him removed from the ministry of defence – his storytelling on it simply doesn't offer any tolerable outs on the scandal, given, you know, the existential war for survival going on and all. Reznikov is not following along with any of that, however, saying that he's not fit to lead another ministry. While he's been saying for days that he's at peace with the theoretical scenario of Zelenskyy asking him to resign, I feel that there's a bit more going on than meets the eye here.

The unwritten Edit3 here is that now a different member of the Zelenskyy faction is saying that MoD reshuffle specifically is suspended to avoid accidental damage through leadership vacuum on February's Ramstein meeting/guesstimated Russian offensive slated for soon™. https://meduza.io/feature/2023/02/0...-kirill-budanov

All in all, Zelenskyy is doing fair strides against the corruption strides – mainly not due to select Republicans posturing, but EU doing the typical EU things after they give you 50 billion euro to spend on specific goals, you being a membership candidate state no less. Reznikov is simply going to be the litmus test on where Ukrainian general population's perception of corruption stands right now, and what Zelenskyy will do when continued friendship is incompatible with the national objectives. The last time he had that situation was with the now-fired SBU boss, but it took months to resolve properly (hard to blame him for having competing priorities in the early months of this invasion).

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the additional context.