Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I for one am enjoying my open world magic based game.

That's right,

Forspoken is where it's at!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mr Hootington posted:

I wonder if dead island 2 will be good. I hope so

I went on a Dead Island 2 gameplay watching binge again recently and I can’t wait for it :D

e: not that there’s a ton of footage. Didn’t want to get any hopes up lol

Ineffiable posted:

That's right,

:sickos:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ineffiable posted:

That's right,

I'll get it this fall on sale.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I went on a Dead Island 2 gameplay watching binge again recently and I can’t wait for it :D

e: not that there’s a ton of footage. Didn’t want to get any hopes up lol

:sickos:

I've been goofing around in dead island fun and it is enjoyable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am going to play Dead Space 2

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I am going to play Dead Space 2

If they remake this one too I'm gonna bust

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mr Hootington posted:

I've been goofing around in dead island fun and it is enjoyable.

I keep thinking about grabbing the PS4 versions of them. I would like to revisit. The combat is so fun.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

There's a trans character in the game?

:thunk:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Uh oh!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Thank god we have something else to talk about besides ethical consumption.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the harry potter thing isnt really a practical thing (ie: rowling will still have money to do her bullshit even if the game flops) but rather an aesthetcis argument. the game has become publicly associated with insane transphobia and rowling is extremely, extremely loud about her opinions. obviously shes not the only figurehead of a major ip to have awful opinions, or be associated with weird poo poo. like the pokemon devs visited a shrine that mostly commemorates dudes who did war crimes on the chinese in ww2. so it isn't really about harry potter being the one questionable game ever.

its about, like i said, aesthetics. and i dont mean that to be dismissive. rowling is so publicly hateful that everything associated with her becomes part of that image. what people are really expressing is the hurt that comes with realizing how many people who both know about rowling's bullshit and pretend to be woke straight up dont care about them enough to just not buy a video game.

obviously there's trans people who don't give a poo poo either, but its easy to understand why a lot do, and those people have friends and associates who are fully aware of what's going down and straight up dont care and just sorta get defensive and dismissive when called on it. which is hurtful.

arguments about whether other devs are worse or material effect kinda miss the point. its a conversation about the personal hurt that comes with a major public figure spewing hate constantly and her brand basically continuing unabated, not about the personal morality of buying wizard game. people are seeking comfort and reassurance for that hurt and being told 'no ethical consumption under capitalism' and 'well call of duty is bad too' when that isnt really whats going on here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh no

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait is that even a trans character? she just says that people mistook her for a guy. that could be just her being a tomboy/androgynous.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

the harry potter thing isnt really a practical thing (ie: rowling will still have money to do her bullshit even if the game flops) but rather an aesthetcis argument. the game has become publicly associated with insane transphobia and rowling is extremely, extremely loud about her opinions. obviously shes not the only figurehead of a major ip to have awful opinions, or be associated with weird poo poo. like the pokemon devs visited a shrine that mostly commemorates dudes who did war crimes on the chinese in ww2. so it isn't really about harry potter being the one questionable game ever.

its about, like i said, aesthetics. and i dont mean that to be dismissive. rowling is so publicly hateful that everything associated with her becomes part of that image. what people are really expressing is the hurt that comes with realizing how many people who both know about rowling's bullshit and pretend to be woke straight up dont care about them enough to just not buy a video game.

obviously there's trans people who don't give a poo poo either, but its easy to understand why a lot do, and those people have friends and associates who are fully aware of what's going down and straight up dont care and just sorta get defensive and dismissive when called on it. which is hurtful.

arguments about whether other devs are worse or material effect kinda miss the point. its a conversation about the personal hurt that comes with a major public figure spewing hate constantly and her brand basically continuing unabated, not about the personal morality of buying wizard game. people are seeking comfort and reassurance for that hurt and being told 'no ethical consumption under capitalism' and 'well call of duty is bad too' when that isnt really whats going on here.

yeah pretty much this

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vikar Jerome posted:

Uhh uhhhh

Wait! I got you:

Awww yeah that's the stuff

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Don't see a thread for Harry Potter so thought I'd ask here. Should I play it on my PS5 with OLED and 5.2.4 surround or my PC with ultrawide OLED and bonus Steam Deck if needed?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
finally. theres a bad aaa game with a trans character in it. take that jk rowl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

finally. theres a bad aaa game with a trans character in it. take that jk rowl
tbh its probably better than the one in the last of us 2

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They're not truly a trans character in an "AAA" video game if they don't tell you their deadname immediately.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jimbot posted:

They're not truly a trans character in an "AAA" video game if they don't tell you their deadname immediately.

i think this is only Bioware

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

acksplode posted:

"There's no ethical consumption under capitalism," the quote meant to explain why you shouldn't blame people for buying gasoline or cheap clothing in order to live but instead the corporations which have created the conditions where you require gasoline and can only afford sweatshop produced garments, has become No Ethico Consumptio, a magic spell that wards away any responsibility you might feel for buying frivolous entertainment products. I love it
Oh man this post made me laugh so hard, thanks for that. I needed that after chiselling out that monolith of a rant earlier on.

Augus posted:

you know, purely mathematically you’re probably doing a lot more to fund drone strikes on civilian populations by purchasing any random game that has an assault rifle in it than you are contributing to TERFism by purchasing the dumb wizard game.

does that mean buying shooting games makes you a child murderer? yes.

I wrote a big post about this but I see it as basically a huge difference in scale. Argue against the military industrial complex and modern military shooters as much as you like, but it's like shouting at a hurricane that's been going since generations past. It's like trying to fist-fight a mountain. Anti-trans rhetoric is a conversation you can have, and argue against, and get activists and politicians to talk about in ways that hopefully matter.

I forget who the old Vietnam era quoteis by, but it's something like all artists coming together against the war, to find their combined efforts are as powerful as a custard pie dropped from six feet. Arguing that a game's sales supports drone strikes feels a little like that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching a video review of the wizard game and it looks like it has some cool elements and I would be totally down for a good new open world game, but Harry Potter sucks rear end so I won't be playing it. gently caress that TERF JK Rowling and the world she created.

DC Murderverse posted:

Kanye West was, at one point in my life, one of my favorite artists. I thought he was a genius. Now, Kanye is such a terrible human being that there’s not a chance in hell I’d ever buy an album or go see him live or whatever. It sucks when someone who made these things you love turns out to be a helldemon and I sympathize with HP fans who still want their memories of the books to not be tarnished, but there are so many HP fans who deal with those complex thoughts regarding the things they love and also know not to give her any more money for new poo poo. That’s the easy part!

But some motherfuckers will twist it around in their heads trying to justify it, adding phrases that they’ve seen people use in arguments like this before and tell themselves that they’re all the same. It’s so easy not to pay $70 (or more! Jesus Christ!) for this game and people are flunking it like a biostats exam
:agreed: Kanye used to be one of my faves too. I haven't listened to one of his songs voluntarily in a long time. I was mad when I watched Black Adam recently and one of the needle drops in it was Power. I don't want to hear that poo poo anymore!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The only aesthetic thing about buying Harry Potter is that you’re an infantilized adult who only read 1 book (maybe not even read and just watched the movies) and made it your whole personality imo. The rest is just very online stuff.

gently caress JK Rowling but a normal everyday person who grew up with it doesn’t know any of that stuff they want to be a in a wizard high school triple A rpg / action game

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1580639051774054404

Straight from the ghouls mouth.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Thank you for posting JK Rowling's twitter account op I was wondering what she had to say

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

KingKapalone posted:

Don't see a thread for Harry Potter so thought I'd ask here. Should I play it on my PS5 with OLED and 5.2.4 surround or my PC with ultrawide OLED and bonus Steam Deck if needed?

No one gives a poo poo about your specs dude, you don't have to keep posting them in every thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The only aesthetic thing about buying Harry Potter is that you’re an infantilized adult who only read 1 book (maybe not even read and just watched the movies) and made it your whole personality imo. The rest is just very online stuff.

gently caress JK Rowling but a normal everyday person who grew up with it doesn’t know any of that stuff they want to be a in a wizard high school triple A rpg / action game
please reread my post again. i mentioned specifically 'people who know about rowling's bullshit and pretend to care but still buy the game.' people who dont keep up with that stuff are entirely separate.

that said rowling's views are very public knowledge in the uk, its not 'very online' stuff it comes up on the news and poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
why aren't we discussing the REAL issues, like fujoshis harassing Genshin Impact voice actors

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Pls dont post jk rowling Twitter in this thread pls I beg you

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Endorph posted:

please reread my post again. i mentioned specifically 'people who know about rowling's bullshit and pretend to care but still buy the game.' people who dont keep up with that stuff are entirely separate.

that said rowling's views are very public knowledge in the uk, its not 'very online' stuff it comes up on the news and poo poo.

Sorry I’m phone posting so I didn’t mean to come off as adversarial to your post. Public knowledge in the UK I don’t think translates to public knowledge in America. Like idk how it is over there but the people over here (at the border of US/Mexico) don’t ever talk about that or choose to ignore it. But that’s just anecdotal.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
The only people I've seen making arguments that they weren't aware of Rowling's toxic bullshit were obviously making the claim in bad faith. The "tell me one bad thing Trump did in office" kind of ignorance.

The children who read those books are adults now and they're all quite aware. Every single goon posting in this thread that they're going to buy it knows exactly who she is and how many lives she's ruined/taken. You're all intimately aware of the criminalization of trans rights across this country, right this second, at a breakneck pace. You're all aware it's Trump's current entire platform. gently caress JK, and gently caress anyone who buys this game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

man just fuckin pirate it why is everyone so handwringy. if you want to play the game do it, and then write a review of it and put it on your fridge with a magnet, and dont give them any money, and idk. donate to mermaids or something

honestly this is probably why resetera banned the topic, because people would make such a tedious affair of it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why aren't we discussing the REAL issues, like fujoshis harassing Genshin Impact voice actors

I don't even know how Ian MacKaye got into a beef with Genshin Impact to begin with but he should tell his band to lay off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tbh it was really funny when genshin fans decided one of the characters was a racist stereotype of middle easterners so they harassed her va. who is middle eastern. enormous brains.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Sorry I’m phone posting so I didn’t mean to come off as adversarial to your post. Public knowledge in the UK I don’t think translates to public knowledge in America. Like idk how it is over there but the people over here (at the border of US/Mexico) don’t ever talk about that or choose to ignore it. But that’s just anecdotal.
its not nearly as much of common knowledge in the us yea but like, idk why the us should take priority over other countries or anything. the idea that 'normal people dont know about rowlings views' is only partially true in parts of the world.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Endorph posted:

tbh it was really funny when genshin fans decided one of the characters was a racist stereotype of middle easterners so they harassed her va. who is middle eastern. enormous brains.

its not nearly as much of common knowledge in the us yea but like, idk why the us should take priority over other countries or anything. the idea that 'normal people dont know about rowlings views' is only partially true in parts of the world.

I mention the US because that is where I live. I don’t live in the UK or even visited it so I have no frame of reference for it outside of music and movies.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i can understand people not wanting to hear about the game because it is associated with bad poo poo i am just extremely jaded about the association of the purchase of consumer products with personal morality

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

everyone should be talking about zeno clash 3 instead, coming march 9th

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i can understand people not wanting to hear about the game because it is associated with bad poo poo i am just extremely jaded about the association of the purchase of consumer products with personal morality

This! It’s not gonna do anything if you buy or don’t buy. Other than probably it being an online scarlet letter.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

As Endorph said, it's not really a personal morality thing. It's really just (mostly) trans people saying please don't.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’m thankful for the discourse in this thread, I live in the US and legitimately didn’t know that Rowling was such a monster until I saw it come up here. I guess I just was never exposed to it despite having some friends in the transgender community. So I looked into it myself and yeah, Rowling can to gently caress herself.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to explain the issue, you helped educate at least one person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i dont really associate the purchase of it with personal morality its more just like. ign's review has a paragraph going 'well rowling said some transphobic stuff... thats bad... anyway 9/10.' like gently caress off. you dont care. if you cared at all youd actually take a stand lol

or seeing people handwringing about how they wanna buy it but they heard rowling was bad... can anyone weigh in... like if you cared at all for real this wouldnt be a question