Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I would hate it if my grocery store went to single queue. I’ve been going there at roughly the same time every week for over 9 years now, and I know which cashiers pack groceries the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Did Genesplicer change his username?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
FTX is sending letters to all the politicians it donated to and demanding the money back.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ftx-debtors-send-messages-to-recipients-of-avoidable-donations-301738948.html

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

:justpost: the list publicly, FTX. You both deserve each other.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BonerGhost posted:

Military commissaries use this model and it's quite nice. The line also doesn't extend into the aisles because it has a specific space that's perpendicular to the aisles and the checkouts.

Yeah the Fort Myer commissary in Arlington is the gold standard for efficient queuing and checking out. The number of people and the average amount of groceries people buy there is impressive.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Baba Oh Really posted:

:justpost: the list publicly, FTX. You both deserve each other.

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1622339655013392384?s=20

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Lol, where's all the dark money donations to the Republicans that SBF promised?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Maybe I'm the last to notice, but it seems like more and more grocery stores are shutting down their self-checkouts, now that inflation is getting really visible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Groda posted:

Maybe I'm the last to notice, but it seems like more and more grocery stores are shutting down their self-checkouts, now that inflation is getting really visible.

that does not track with my local market experience at all, it seems like fewer cashier lanes are open which I guess is due to labor pressures

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Phanatic posted:

FTX is sending letters to all the politicians it donated to and demanding the money back.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ftx-debtors-send-messages-to-recipients-of-avoidable-donations-301738948.html

L, and I don't know how to make this any more clear, MFAO.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Groda posted:

Anecdotally, I’ve never seen a self-checkout get uninstalled.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Blue Moonlight posted:

Anecdotally, I’ve never seen a self-checkout get uninstalled.

My local grocery store's self-checkout area is mostly shut down, while the others in the area have shut down most of theirs.

There's also one chain (Ica) which previously had portable scanners for members and regular self-checkout, and the location nearest me just removed regular self-checkout permanently.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
All the local grocery stores and Wal-Marts near me have dramatically expanded their self-checkout in the last year.

Wal-Mart even has some advanced new self-checkout with cameras that detects when you move something past the scanner without scanning it or if the item you are weighing isn't the item you selected.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

All the local grocery stores and Wal-Marts near me have dramatically expanded their self-checkout in the last year.

Wal-Mart even has some advanced new self-checkout with cameras that detects when you move something past the scanner without scanning it or if the item you are weighing isn't the item you selected.

I had to flag for help checking out a store because the camera didn't recognize bananas at a local grocery store.
I was check out of Costco, and it complained about a single item not matching, the person working there and I didn't figure it out until he noticed that one of the cans in the package had leaked out, so the thing didn't weigh as much.
I went back to replace it, and found that had dripped a nice trail of cold brew coffee. There were people getting ready to clean it who were very worried what this brown liquid was and were very relieved it was just coffee.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Groda posted:

My local grocery store's self-checkout area is mostly shut down, while the others in the area have shut down most of theirs.

There's also one chain (Ica) which previously had portable scanners for members and regular self-checkout, and the location nearest me just removed regular self-checkout permanently.

Ica as in Sweeden? Yeah, that's not what's happening in the US. At least nowhere I've been lately.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They opened a Target near me that only has self-checkout. It is very cyberpunk dystopia.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Groda posted:

I haven't noticed anything of the sort, but then again I basically only shop at three places and only two of them have self-checkouts. (Uppsala)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Everywhere I go self checkout is always full and the preferred way to checkout for most. At least it is for me, since people with a 90 item cart seem to avoid it. Not all, but most. I can get a handbasket of items scanned, paid for, and bagged within 2 minutes and I greatly prefer it that way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They don't let you take beer through the self-checkout here, I'm always amazed at the number of people apparently going grocery shopping without buying any booze.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Each grocery chain is allowed 2 stores with alcohol in my state. The rest can do a store within a store with a separate checkout. Or they go without, and most go without.

Wegmans got rid of their smartphone checkout. That was the best, since you could bag as you went. If there was a line for the scale, you could type in the codes and queue it up for later. It would tell you to weigh your onions or whatever else at the self check after loading your order.

At least they removed the weight sensors in the bagging area, and added cordless hand scanners.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

dpkg chopra posted:

I wouldn’t give a poo poo about seat priority if airlines actually enforced overhead baggage limitations.

Oh man. I mostly fly United and that airline is just nonstop road warrior business travelers who all have a "carry-on" that's basically a suitcase (and absolutely pushing the size limit to the breaking point) and a "personal item" that's basically just a second carry-on (but it has a shoulder strap). You absolutely had to get the priority boarding, because if you weren't one of the first 50% of people on the plane then there was not going to be any overhead compartment space for you. Of course, both the United staff and all the business travelers knew this, and most of those bags ended up getting gate-checked. It was basically a big dance done to have a checked bag but get around checked-bag fees.

One byproduct of this dance, though, is that if you get on a United flight towards the end of boarding, the jetway looks like this:

(And this picture only really captures about half of what was being gate-checked that day.)

I don't know if this situation has changed post-pandemic, as I don't fly much anymore, but it was just wild back then.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the secret to not caring about that poo poo is to fly with only a personal item sized backpack so you can ignore the overhead compartments

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

LanceHunter posted:

Oh man. I mostly fly United and that airline is just nonstop road warrior business travelers who all have a "carry-on" that's basically a suitcase (and absolutely pushing the size limit to the breaking point) and a "personal item" that's basically just a second carry-on (but it has a shoulder strap).

man when I travel for work I check my bags whenever possible. I keep my (admittedly sizeable) laptop backpack with me, but that's all.

If someone else is paying the bag fee, you can bet your rear end that I'm not going to drag any more than I have to through my inevitable ATL layover.

edit:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the secret to not caring about that poo poo is to fly with only a personal item sized backpack so you can ignore the overhead compartments

This just means my carry on goes above and I actually get to enjoy some amount of legroom. I'm selfish that way, but also 6'2" so gently caress 'em.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 6, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

man when I travel for work I check my bags whenever possible. I keep my (admittedly sizeable) laptop backpack with me, but that's all.

If someone else is paying the bag fee, you can bet your rear end that I'm not going to drag any more than I have to through my inevitable ATL layover.

I literally do not care about bag check fees. But I will drag my travelmax rollaboard through the airport between layovers every drat time because it means avoiding the baggage carousel where all the amateur travelers make messes of themselves. I'll be in a cab long before their bags even start coming down.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

I guess I'm jaded, this seems kinda small? Trump's pillow guy goes all out, but the dems grifter is just tossing them couch change.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

I literally do not care about bag check fees. But I will drag my travelmax rollaboard through the airport between layovers every drat time because it means avoiding the baggage carousel where all the amateur travelers make messes of themselves. I'll be in a cab long before their bags even start coming down.

also it gives you freedom of action when poo poo goes wrong

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

DaveSauce posted:

I hate checking bags not because of the wait at the carousel but because of lost or delayed luggage, and in my mind a layover doubles the odds of it happening. Getting a million miles on American was fantastic because I'm now lifetime gold, and even though I don't travel for work any more I still get priority boarding.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also it gives you freedom of action when poo poo goes wrong

This too. But as a road warrior I've always got a change of clothes and enough hygiene/whatever in my backpack which absolutely never leaves my direct control even if I have to check the rollaboard due to not getting on soon enough/CRJ bullshit flight.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edit: Beat the 10 second post timer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Baddog posted:

I guess I'm jaded, this seems kinda small? Trump's pillow guy goes all out, but the dems grifter is just tossing them couch change.

Those were just the direct contributions via the company PAC.

They also gave about $23 million to Republican Super PACs and 501(c)4 groups and about the same amount to Democratic PACs.

SBF alone donated about $40 million in personal money. His two top executives also donated big amounts.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Welp, guess I'm in the minority!

Still hate dragging multiple bags through airports tho.

At least my important stuff was only ever in my backpack. I've had to travel with techs/mechanics in the past who would have to check multiple boxes of tools just to be able to do their job. Then drag it back to the hotel. Then drag it to/from the job site.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Baddog posted:

it's really sad how relatively little money you need to bribe a politician. like they're not even selling us out for millions, it's "give me $20K and i'll get you a couple hundred million"

are your constituents not worth more for you to sell out for?

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

withak posted:

They opened a Target near me that only has self-checkout. It is very cyberpunk dystopia.

Is it an Urban Target? I was reading up on them when they put one in near my apartment a few years ago. They have four sizes of stores, Super Target, regular Target, City Target (we have one in downtown Seattle), and Urban Target, very small footprint stores with basics that people in urban centers need. The Urban Target near me only has self checkout.

And yeah other grocery etc stores near us in Seattle have only been expanding self checkout.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

Welp, guess I'm in the minority!

Still hate dragging multiple bags through airports tho.

At least my important stuff was only ever in my backpack. I've had to travel with techs/mechanics in the past who would have to check multiple boxes of tools just to be able to do their job. Then drag it back to the hotel. Then drag it to/from the job site.

My thing is just that I have to carry at least a couple changes of clothes in the carryon. I've been screwed by having my underwear go to the wrong continent in the past.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
New BWM just dropped:

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1622307191087665155

lololol posted:

Amateur trader Omar Ghias says he amassed roughly $1.5 million as stocks surged during the early part of the pandemic, gripped by a speculative fervor that cascaded across all markets.

As his gains swelled, so did his spending on everything from sports betting and bars to luxury cars. He says he also borrowed heavily to amplify his positions.

When the party ended, his fortune evaporated thanks to some wrong-way bets and his excessive spending. To support himself, he says he now works at a deli in Las Vegas that pays him roughly $14 an hour plus tips and sells area timeshares. He says he no longer has any money invested in the market.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

quote:

For the qualities and energies which lead a man to achieve the first are, too often, the very cause of his ruin in the latter case.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Groda posted:

It sure seems like the plan for every Krogers is to take out half the checkout aisles to add a second or even third bank of self-checkout machines near every entrance, then have them all roped off and deactivated between 75-100% of the day, then complain about how they don't have enough employees to properly run the store because nobody wants to work anymore.

They also were trialing the handheld scanners for scan as you go but I assume the shrink rate was off the charts because they disappeared pretty quick.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Respectfully, I think the emphasis should be elsewhere.

quote:

To support himself, he says he now works at a deli in Las Vegas that pays him roughly $14 an hour plus tips and sells area timeshares.

Also here's the article:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-retreat-of-the-amateur-investors-11675486817

The entire thing's solid gold.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

in extremely odd news, Bed Bath and Beyond just announced they're trying to sell $225m of preferred stock

buying it would seem to be a very, very stupid idea. i'm wondering if they're just taking a stab at seeing how much money dumbasses on reddit have they're willing to part with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I mean it’s preferred stock, that means you’ve got to prefer it to other stock. They wouldn’t let you call it that otherwise.