Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oldstench posted:

What are the good demos to try? There are too many games for Next Fest.
it's gonna be difficult to recommend demos until I've actually played them, but also, it'll depend on personal taste. Someone who's into Megaman might like the Gravity Circuit demo, for example, but someone who isn't might be turned off. I'm downloading as many as I can that interest me but I probably wont be able to play them and give my thoughts until tonight.

What I've downloaded so far: Astra: Fading Stars, Boxes, Bzzzt, Cosplay Club, Crystals of Irm, I Am Future, Koa & the Five Pirates of Mara, The Last Case of Benedict Fox, Mr. Saitou, PictoPull, Pixelshire, The Ramsey, The Repair House, Scene Investigators, Shadows of Doubt, A Sister's Journey, SunnySide, Unmurk, Zid's Journey, Grim Guardians: Demon Purge, Full Void, Afterimage, Prison City, Teslagrad 2, Slave Zero X, Schism, Coven, Radio the Universe, Vividlope, End of the Sun, Valfaris, Glitch Busters, Star Hearts

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cook Serve Forever demo is light on content but it's pretty fun

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

Hi-Fi Rush solves a lot of parry problems by having all actions land on the beat. So you never really have to guess which enemy has some wildly unsynced windup attack because you know it'll always come out with regular timing.

I see you have not yet faced the haiku bots

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have and they were no match for me.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Next Fest I’ve found is the perfect time to just give in to the algorithm, choose a genre you like and select the first recommendation.

That said I’m looking forward to trying out Planet of Lana, Inkbound and Afterimage.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

KazigluBey posted:

Awards season this year is going to be wild unless TGA and the like just decide to freeze it out.

How is resetera taking this lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ready your grim-voiced narrators.

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1622642005095636992

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Really digging Planet of Lana.

sebmojo posted:

How is resetera taking this lol

All talk of the game is banned there lol.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ayy a goon friend has been writing for this, she's real good so looking forward to it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I hope this one has tighter pacing than the first one. I really liked the aesthetic and writing of the first one, but it just felt too drat long for its own good. I played it for some five hours, got to the point where I kinda felt like I had seen most of what it had to offer and should be about to head into the endgame, but then when I checked the ingame progress counter it was like "lmao you barely even completed a quarter of the game". Even accounting for purely optional content, that's just too drat much.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I've only been able to get one demo to successfully download so far, but I will say that Dungeon Drafters is a real fun one, being somewhere between a Mystery Dungeon game and a deckbuilder (unsure how much of the latter thus far, it's giving me classes who have specific colored cards to choose from and I don't know how much you build between runs). An interesting mix, though, it kinda reminds me of the chaos of Roundguard's "Every turn, your skills randomize" modifier.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Perestroika posted:

I hope this one has tighter pacing than the first one. I really liked the aesthetic and writing of the first one, but it just felt too drat long for its own good. I played it for some five hours, got to the point where I kinda felt like I had seen most of what it had to offer and should be about to head into the endgame, but then when I checked the ingame progress counter it was like "lmao you barely even completed a quarter of the game". Even accounting for purely optional content, that's just too drat much.

If the metaprogression isn’t too arduous/required to win I’m thinking this one should be better about it because the format has been changed to roguelite runs instead of a single long campaign. I’m interested in this one because DD1 was an incredible coat of paint around one of the worst and most luck-based gameplay paradigms I’ve played and this one seems to have addressed a lot of that (more effects are guaranteed to have results in fights, losing a run just means losing that run and not a set of heroes you’ll have to spend 5 hours of grinding to replace, etc). also, if you told me “they applied darkest dungeon’s art style to 3D graphics” I’d expect that to be a terrible change but in reality the animations are :discourse:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

Probably for the best. The demo I played a while ago didn’t do much at all to distinguish it from the first game, so I hope they’ve put a bunch of work into it since then.

The date is 6 April 23 in case you’re not a psycho that gets tiny bits of information through YouTube videos

I mean at the core its the same 6-DOF shooter, not really a full-on space shooter. Dont really know where the demo was at but the core gameplay didnt change and wont for the final release either. Neihter will the subpar story/characters/vo tbh, its not the selling point imo. Combat is fun enough and locations are very varied. Its a good game, but still a 6-DOF playing like a TPS in space, not the next Freespace or whatever.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

if you told me “they applied darkest dungeon’s art style to 3D graphics” I’d expect that to be a terrible change but in reality the animations are :discourse:

Oh, the transition to 3D for Darkest Dungeon has been downright nearly flawless on the visual side. The animators had a ton of fun and the art is unmistakably DD but even more refined.

It's been a few months since my brother and I have played it, but progression is a hell of a lot better (although at the time, it almost gets harder at times by the nature of all the negatives that get unlocked with the positives). Dealing with getting your band of miserable idiots to not hate each other or have their love triangles backfire while dancing on and off death's door constantly in the endgame is uniquely fun (but frustrating in that roguelike way). We played it enough to eventually pull a Dark Torch run through to the end after completing all the present content, so I guess it does play better for me personally.

No idea if they've fixed it, but the only real mechanical gripe I have is how the random subclasses can really screw up a run. It's a real pain to get a subclass on a character that makes them nigh unusable without the abilities it's specifically made for, which you so happen to not even have unlocked yet. I wish there was an optional take vanilla version option.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Last night I finished Homeworld 1 for the first time ever. I loved it so much, the story, music (ESPECIALLY THE MUSIC), and now its time to play Homeworld 2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

Last night I finished Homeworld 1 for the first time ever. I loved it so much, the story, music (ESPECIALLY THE MUSIC), and now its time to play Homeworld 2.
Don't let other people tell you what to think, just listen to me instead: HW2 is actually the better game even if the story isn't as good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That Homeworld: Cataclysm has a really cool story.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

Don't let other people tell you what to think, just listen to me instead: HW2 is actually the better game even if the story isn't as good.

Yeah and honestly neither are that long of games anyways. So ready for Homeworld 3.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyways I played some of the Meet Your Maker demo and it commits one absolutely cardinal sin that I hope they can fix: you die in a single hit to everything and there's a not-insignificant loading screen when you restart a run. Unacceptable.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Why DO the wizards dodge roll instead of having a magic teleport?

are you a teen wizard in this game? in the books they make a big deal out of teleportation magic being NOT FOR KIDS!!!! because if you do it wrong/badly you can leave parts of your body behind. maybe the grownups were like absolutely not it is too dangerous, you should be fine just rolling around on the floor

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Got really excited when I saw a demo of an Uncharted Waters game in Next Fest but it turns out it's a port of a mobile MMO :argh:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 6, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Weedle posted:

are you a teen wizard in this game? in the books they make a big deal out of teleportation magic being NOT FOR KIDS!!!! because if you do it wrong/badly you can leave parts of your body behind. maybe the grownups were like absolutely not it is too dangerous, you should be fine just rolling around on the floor

If only it was a world where everything is made up and you can write any bullshit reason you want for cool things to happen. Alas. Rolling around is the only way to respect the source material

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm trying the demo for Phantom Brigade and it looks like blurry muddy garbage. This is what things look like off the center of the screen:

What is this poo poo and how can I disable it? Some kind of DOF?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GhostDog posted:

I'm trying the demo for Phantom Brigade and it looks like blurry muddy garbage. This is what things look like off the center of the screen:

What is this poo poo and how can I disable it? Some kind of DOF?

Chromatic Aberration

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

big cummers ONLY posted:

If only it was a world where everything is made up and you can write any bullshit reason you want for cool things to happen. Alas. Rolling around is the only way to respect the source material

The end result was wizards rowling all over the place

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jack Trades posted:

Chromatic Aberration

Oh of course. How do I kill it?

How do I kill it so good it will never be used in another game again?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh goodness this seems problematic for sure

https://twitter.com/PistolRick/status/1622606193481994240

Ragequit posted:

Yer a wizard, Parry!

absolutely yes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1622550945442791426

Current twitter conspiracy is that this is actually a bad review that
1- the guy who wrote it is a HP crypto facist so blind for his love for the series that he overlooks the many flaws he listed in his article
2 - reviewers are afraid of angering gamergaters and are thus giving this game really good reviews despite it's many many flaws.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

GhostDog posted:

Oh of course. How do I kill it?

How do I kill it so good it will never be used in another game again?

If you can get to the game's Engine.ini you should be able to modify it so that these effects are disabled - probably somewhere in the game's AppData folder.

code:
[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
If these lines aren't there, try adding them.

Scene fringe is Unreal's term for chromatic aberration: https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/RenderingAndGraphics/PostProcessEffects/SceneFringe/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

3 - games journalists are easily amused by shiny things. You can probably jiggle some keys in front of one and they'll give you a 7/10 at the very least.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i cant believe game journalists gave an AAA game with a lot of cinematic polish a good score this is a conspiracy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

3 - games journalists are easily amused by shiny things. You can probably jiggle some keys in front of one and they'll give you a 7/10 at the very least.

I'm just repeating things I've seen, but this implies that games journalists never give bad reviews

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i cant believe game journalists gave an AAA game with a lot of cinematic polish a good score this is a conspiracy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

1- the guy who wrote it is a HP crypto facist so blind for his love for the series that he overlooks the many flaws he listed in his article
2 - reviewers are afraid of angering gamergaters and are thus giving this game really good reviews despite it's many many flaws.

I was really hoping more people would quit twitter for their own sake. Twitter brain is a very serious disease

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

To be clear, if this game had gotten bad reviews, we would currently be reading about an SJW conspiracy to squash what is the finest game ever made.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

zoux posted:

As people have pointed out elsewhere, it reads a little schizophrenic. It kinda goes like "Performance is garabage, bugs are common, controls are bad, enemy variety is nonexistent, story is dumb, 9/10 love it"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Didn't IGN give overwatch a 10/10 in their 2020 re review? Isnt that already the lowest possible level a website could sink to?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

zoux posted:

To be clear, if this game had gotten bad reviews, we would currently be reading about an SJW conspiracy to squash what is the finest game ever made.

I'm honestly looking forward to hearing all these gamergaters frantically trying to justify how it's a masterpiece of a game.

Anyways game reviewer interacts with media in the most shallow way possible, news at 10

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perestroika posted:

As people have pointed out elsewhere, it reads a little schizophrenic. It kinda goes like "Performance is garabage, bugs are common, controls are bad, enemy variety is nonexistent, story is dumb, 9/10 love it"

Oh he doesn't have anything good to say about it at all?

e: comments section is, well, it's exactly what you'd think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm honestly looking forward to hearing all these gamergaters frantically trying to justify how it's a masterpiece of a game.

Anyways game reviewer interacts with media in the most shallow way possible, news at 10

I'm not looking forward to any of that OP