Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mordja posted:

I haven't played Apex since near launch (keep thinking I should get back into it tho), what's wrong with "the meta"?

Every squad is the same comp of a handful of Legends because they outperform all the others so much.

There's a map with a zone that 60% of the server just drops on and dies and it messes up the flow of the rest of the map.

There are too many guns that are either "be an aim god or don't pick it up"

The matchmaking was really bad despite having huge numbers that should have made it good. They supposedly fixed it recently.

Arenas was either getting stomped or stomping. They finally ditched it in this new season.

The cosmetics got lazier and lazier.

The numbers were still good but lots of people (including several people that still play on my friends list) were grumbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BR was the hotness when it was new and got a free life extension when everyone was locked indoors for 2 solid years...but it's been half a decade, poo poo will eventually decline and go out of fashion. Hell, like 10 live-service games announced permanent closure in the last 2 weeks. Time marches on, new capital horizons must be located, new vessels for Mammon.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I think it's less of the genre and more that it's really hard to keep these Live Games going for more than 5 years. After 4+ years of constant content they've had a lot of the core experience diluted. Meanwhile Counterstrike and Team Fortress 2 just keep going.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's kinda crazy how certain games locked in the goods early and have just spent a decade+ enjoying a regular player base. The last time I played Left for Dead there were plenty of people online and jumping in took no time at all. Contrast that with the 'new' L4D, Back 4 Blood which was haemorrhaging players the day after release when most players quite rightly realised it was poo poo.

What are the other eternal FPS games?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Team fortress 2 is still chugging along last I heard, haven't played in years though.

I got to play a couple attrition games today! No lag or getting dc'ed or anything and it only took a few minutes to find a game. It made me happy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's kinda crazy how certain games locked in the goods early and have just spent a decade+ enjoying a regular player base. The last time I played Left for Dead there were plenty of people online and jumping in took no time at all. Contrast that with the 'new' L4D, Back 4 Blood which was haemorrhaging players the day after release when most players quite rightly realised it was poo poo.

What are the other eternal FPS games?

Doom Eternal. Duh. ;)

Seriously though if you define eternal by 10 years old or greater it's Counterstrike and Team Fortress 2 and that's pretty much it. We're coming up on 10 years for 7 Days to Die and Payday 2, they're still doing ok.

Check the charts here for any I missed:

https://steamdb.info/charts/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not an FPS but as far as I know Warframe is still going strong. It's the anti-Destiny in that instead of deleting content they just keep adding more and more onto that Frankenstein of a game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, Rainbow Six Siege is still big, though I don't know how much new content they're adding. HUNT Showdown is kind of an anomaly in that it rose from the near-dead to maintain a remarkably consistent playerbase, and that's BR adjacent I guess.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mordja posted:

Oh, Rainbow Six Siege is still big, though I don't know how much new content they're adding. HUNT Showdown is kind of an anomaly in that it rose from the near-dead to maintain a remarkably consistent playerbase, and that's BR adjacent I guess.

The term I heard was "extraction shooter" but the genre succeeded because, like BRs, they gave players something else to do besides shootmans.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I put a sickening amount of time into Siege over the year and a half that I played it, end of year 2 to end of year 3, and I got decent. The technology behind that game is and was so loving cool, but the onboarding process for it was extremely rough even 2 years in. The sheer esports level of player skill that veterans have, and the level of team shaming and griefing that went on...I dunno. I look back on that game and wonder why I ever put up with so many angry people. I never want to hear the sound of a flashbang again.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Mordja posted:

Not an FPS but as far as I know Warframe is still going strong. It's the anti-Destiny in that instead of deleting content they just keep adding more and more onto that Frankenstein of a game.

I've played Warframe for a good 50 hours or so and I have no fuckin clue what's going on most of the time still.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I put a sickening amount of time into Siege over the year and a half that I played it, end of year 2 to end of year 3, and I got decent. The technology behind that game is and was so loving cool, but the onboarding process for it was extremely rough even 2 years in. The sheer esports level of player skill that veterans have, and the level of team shaming and griefing that went on...I dunno. I look back on that game and wonder why I ever put up with so many angry people. I never want to hear the sound of a flashbang again.

Exact same experience I had, except I never got to decent. The amount of outplaying and fun crazy stuff you could do reminds me a little bit of Titanfall. Wild stuff would happen with explosions, peeks, clutches, etc. The highs were very high. The social aspect was some of the most toxic poo poo I'd ever seen.

Like every other non-co-op game I just got sick of being put it matches with crazy talented no-lifers who ended me like it was nothing and being unable to solo it with toxic racist maniacs. There was no future for me in that game but being a bullet catcher for another 200 hours while I chatted with my friends - I just didn't have what it took to git good - and my video game time is just too precious.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Loved Siege but I feel they’ve also hit character overload, which then messes with balance. There’s something to be said about just letting a game be (eg CS and team fortress) rather than making it a live service. But that’s not a money maker and I think gamers also expect to get constant new content.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Does Counter-Strike get new content? You can add every other FPS up on Steam in the top 100 and I think it just about equals Counter-Strike. It's amazing what a monster hit that game has been, like, forever. And it's just part of the landscape.

Also, some Titanfall 2 stuff:

You can use a jailbroken PS4 to play on the Northstar servers, if you have one. Cool! Cross-platform without the publishers, what a time to be alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdOu4GCh8iA

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Exact same experience I had, except I never got to decent. The amount of outplaying and fun crazy stuff you could do reminds me a little bit of Titanfall. Wild stuff would happen with explosions, peeks, clutches, etc. The highs were very high. The social aspect was some of the most toxic poo poo I'd ever seen.

Like every other non-co-op game I just got sick of being put it matches with crazy talented no-lifers who ended me like it was nothing and being unable to solo it with toxic racist maniacs. There was no future for me in that game but being a bullet catcher for another 200 hours while I chatted with my friends - I just didn't have what it took to git good - and my video game time is just too precious.

Yeah, it's kind of indicative of the mental state I was in at the time, just insanely overworked and stressed, so having a lifestyle game that I could just sink into at the end of the day was too easy. Here are two good memories captured by a nice goon. Gonna choose to remember my time with it this way.

https://giant.gfycat.com/RapidImaginaryAvians.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJVCmPmQR0

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Not too many gaming highs as high as pulling an Ace in siege but the map knowledge and pressure of being always on can be a lot. I stopped around when they really started getting kinda goofy with the characters (so 2-3? years ago)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I never got an Ace, even after 70 hours or so. Got close a couple of times but that game gave me horrible, horrible nerves and the fact that I usually IRL knew my teammates or was gonna get "clutch or kick"d really messed with me. Like I said, I just didn't have the juice for that game.

Great clips Beanpole and yeah I know what you mean about a sort of "stress dump" lifestyle game.

edit: checked my play time and I was way off.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 6, 2023

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, it's kind of indicative of the mental state I was in at the time, just insanely overworked and stressed, so having a lifestyle game that I could just sink into at the end of the day was too easy. Here are two good memories captured by a nice goon. Gonna choose to remember my time with it this way.

https://giant.gfycat.com/RapidImaginaryAvians.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJVCmPmQR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1RM5Uf2DII

Who can? Kapkan

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao. kapkan owns

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Field Mousepad posted:

I've played Warframe for a good 50 hours or so and I have no fuckin clue what's going on most of the time still.

I played it first a long time ago and kinda understood what was going on. It was a good, fun and fairly simple space ninja game. There was ship invasions and space dojos at that point.

Then I stopped playing for years and when I went back to it there was an entire loving open world section and a dozen new systems. There's a lot going on in that game that makes it virtually impenetrable for a noob :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Every time I find myself playing Warframe it's like for an hour every year and I come to realize I don't understand what the game is. I always stop playing after a day. It's so bloated with crap. Like any game that's been getting a constant stream of content for way too god drat long.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I tried getting into Warframe just after the open world stuff dropped. It just expects you to know everything.

Destiny kinda does the same thing except they straight up deleted the story content so when I got into it I actually couldn't play the story. loving wild

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ex-apex-legends-and-titanfall-leads-form-new-studio-wildlight-entertainment/

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Guess we know why that Apex campaign got canned now.

Pleasedon'tsuck

Edit: Also please no "Epic funded this and it's an exclusive" monkey's paw. I can't stand the thought of giving them money after what they did to Unreal.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That is at least the second studio formed out of a bunch of former modern warfare/respawn titanfall+apex people now.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I hope this is a "We want to make Titanfall so we're gonna go out and do our own very similar take with a different name" situation and not a "We're just sick of working on Apex Legends so here's a roguelike pinball dating sim" type situation. Respawn lost a bunch of Titanfall people years ago as well, so I hope this new studio can get them back too.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That is at least the second studio formed out of a bunch of former modern warfare/respawn titanfall+apex people now.

Jesus. Vince really hosed up so badly. Sad because the whole reason they went with Activision and made COD in the first place was to get away from EA and then he goes right back, Respawn nearly dies before releasing their first game and Microsoft has to save the day. It's gone to poo poo and now he's... overseeing Battlefield? Great for him rising up through the ranks at EA and stuff but he doesn't seem to have cared much for everyone who joined him in leaving Activision. Is a single one of them still at Respawn?

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 17, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I found a match on pc today. It took me ten minutes and it was pilot vs pilot without a full server but we were able to play the full match.

However, my game has started to minimize randomly, I think when clicking m1 while technically “off” the primary monitor. I think it’s something to do with the new ea store front

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Is the dude doing the ddos attacks again? I keep getting booted to the original screen when I que up

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Couple grains of salt since it’s Reddit but I saw a few comments there saying the disconnects were from matchmaking taking so long to find a match. Tracks with what I experienced yesterday. Ten minutes to find a match and was kicked to main menu twice. Once I got into a match no DC or lag

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Two great tastes that go great together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26dTSW7tx5E

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love it :allears:

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes. Not only did EA fix something and let me start the game, I've managed to play two whole attritions. Feels good. Hope it wasn't a one-off stroke of luck.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Jim DiGriz posted:

gently caress yes. Not only did EA fix something and let me start the game, I've managed to play two whole attritions. Feels good. Hope it wasn't a one-off stroke of luck.

What console are you playing on? I long since gave up on the PS4 version working

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Shnag posted:

What console are you playing on? I long since gave up on the PS4 version working

PC. Launching from Steam crashes the game btw, but from the EA app it works fine now. Got some disconnects today, but also got into two attritions and a frontier defence, which I've never tried but it's fun.

It's still a gamble, but when it works, my god. This game is still amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

crosspost

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Thank you Beanpole!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
He says Titanfall 3 a few times but I don't see it goddamnit

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Wow! Double plus gently caress Apex!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's just such a weird thing to find out...that it wasn't EA who cancelled it but the devs themselves and they didn't even tell EA and Zampella basically covered for them and ate poo poo in the boardroom. I mean, yeah I'm happy they found success and made a money-printing machine, but gently caress, I absolutely hate that the world just irrevocably turned the page on such a cool concept.

Tf2 burned too bright, it burned off everyone's eyeballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
By the interviews words it was not going to innovate much, mostly iterate and polish what was there. Signs of doing what Apex did with more hero classes and not a buncha mooks in helmets and jump kits.

Respawn, if the issue was folks getting burned out on multiplayer just look at the elements of the first game that worked to keep folks from getting too intense. Smart Pistol as a main lets you focus on parkour over maximum accuracy while flying through the air. More grunts running around as a legit source of points lets less skilled players farm up points without necessarily getting involved in deathmatches. Maybe the old Rodeo was fine, let a player mess up a Titan if they didn't preserve their smokes. Maybe fix hop sliding and add a piece of kit to re-enable it in a more intuitive to use way, like straight up infinite zero friction sliding.