Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

bedpan posted:

can't spell "fart" without "art"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tree Reformat posted:

i honestly think a lot of the backlash from artists that isn't about the material conditions caused by the emergence of this tech is a reaction against the idea that anyone opinions about a work other than the creator's matters at all

As other artists, the viewing public and critics have always existed, and historically most art was made on commission, I don’t see how that could be true. Every Renaissance painter’s livelihood relied on their patrons’ opinion of their work.

Art as a medium for individual self expression is a recent trend and probably still doesn’t encapsulate most art made today.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

My point is that this is a fairly basic test for replicating art according to conventions of style and it still does not deliver consistently.

brother the entire AI is a grid

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Tree Reformat posted:

okay. is this meant to imply they therefore have no value

(the probability engine part, obviously the tech bro part invalidates all this poo poo by itself)

I am curious though, what is the net value add to Humanity from text-to-image models and who stands to benefit?

what are the upsides from this tech, in the best scenarios?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

do you think machine learning can do

Tree Reformat posted:

We can already make bespoke models trained on specific types of images, and things like ChatGPT and Character.AI both use secondary ai to police the output of the generator AI. It's entirely possible to put those ideas together to create AuthenticEgyptianAI or whatever other style you'd want. You'd probably have to do a lot of specific training on images of each glyph and their exact meaning to get readable writing in there, but I'm not seeing anything that a generative system could never do given enough R&D.

and then go "i'm going to make something different from that"?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

As other artists, the viewing public and critics have always existed, and historically most art was made on commission, I don’t see how that could be true. Every Renaissance painter’s livelihood relied on their patrons’ opinion of their work.

Art as a medium for individual self expression is a recent trend and probably still doesn’t encapsulate most art made today.

I mean, is that the case? Depends what you qualify as "art"; are peasants making art when they sew a bit of a pattern or colored threads into their garments? Is Roman graffiti art? There's all sorts of folk art through history that is art for art's sake, it's just not regarded in the same was as a typical "masterpiece" is. People have been expressing themselves for thousands of years in ways that would be considered art by most people, just not as complicated or skilled as a marble statue. "Art" as a profession, though, absolutely, especially in mediums that don't have a commercial appeal like garments.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

webcams for christ posted:

I am curious though, what is the net value add to Humanity from text-to-image models and who stands to benefit?

Putting the smug fucker who made this meme unironically on the street where he belongs!! :hehe:

(and everyone else, but when you chop wood, chips fly)

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

what is the best-case scenario or upsides of remix culture, of cheap image and video editing software allowing the creation of a flood of low-effort memes and youtube poops

because these generative systems are like the logical endpoint of that concept

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I think your stick figure is nice :)

It's not recognizably Egyptian Art, which is my point, even if it shares a subject.

What makes Being Egyptian Art so important. Why should "it is Egyptian Art or not Egyptian Art" matter to anyone but you?

Basically as far as I see it you're making a big argument about the results being INACCURATE and then assuming everyone else should agree that being inaccurate makes it Not Art as a matter of course.

You haven't actually presented anyone with any argument WHY being inaccurate would make it not art though, leaving people who don't already agree with you fairly unconvinced.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Tree Reformat posted:

what is the best-case scenario or upsides of remix culture, of cheap image and video editing software allowing the creation of a flood of low-effort memes and youtube poops

because these generative systems are like the logical endpoint of that concept

Is the argument that humans aren't capable of creating anything better than an AI, while simultaneously being what the AI tries to replicate

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

What makes Being Egyptian Art so important. Why should "it is Egyptian Art or not Egyptian Art" matter to anyone but you?

Basically as far as I see it you're making a big argument about the results being INACCURATE and then assuming everyone else should agree that being inaccurate makes it Not Art as a matter of course.

You haven't actually presented anyone with any argument WHY being inaccurate would make it not art though, leaving people who don't already agree with you fairly unconvinced.

I mean I don't fully agree with him, but I was able to understand what he was saying pretty easily.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Tree Reformat posted:

i honestly think a lot of the backlash from artists that isn't about the material conditions caused by the emergence of this tech is a reaction against the idea that anyone opinions about a work other than the creator's matters at all

This is both a funny and bad take imo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the ideal of art is the least interesting thing about all this and debating it detracts took from the material consequences in a way that benefits Big Capital

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

the ideal of art is the least interesting thing about all this and debating it detracts took from the material consequences in a way that benefits Big Capital

Especially because a lot of it hinges on "well, it doesn't quite look right" as if that's not something that can and likely will change (and perhaps rapidly). AI-cloned voice and TTS always sounded a bit wonky until it didn't with the Elevenlabs bot released a few weeks ago. It is SHOCKINGLY good.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

big capital is going to win and boil the world no matter what, might as well generate some ascii butts and debate irrelevant philosophy while we wait for the hammer to drop in the meantime

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
There doesn't seem to be much of a debate. A debate would imply some kind of argument being put forth that has merit and can be reasonably defended. To say "well the human brain is basically a computer... and you had to look at a tree to know what it looked like so your eyes and brain basically googled and stole the image..." demonstrates such a profound lack of understanding that it precludes any other premise from being taken seriously

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Futanari Damacy posted:

There doesn't seem to be much of a debate. A debate would imply some kind of argument being put forth that has merit and can be reasonably defended. To say "well the human brain is basically a computer... and you had to look at a tree to know what it looked like so your eyes and brain basically googled and stole the image..." demonstrates such a profound lack of understanding that it precludes any other premise from being taken seriously

everyone who thinks the mind is a computer either is or becomes a nazi

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

But I like debating the ideal of art

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Justin Tyme posted:

I wonder if there's a point in the future where something is developed that creates so much backlash AI research is banned or blacklisted in the same way human cloning is banned

Deepfakes with no interlocutor between the thing that makes them and the people who want them

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
and human cloning isn't universally banned, it's just no one does it because it's not very useful and much more expensive for capital than just letting people make new babies for the meat grinder the old fashioned way

although if civilization somehow lasts long enough for the global population to peak, we might see a sudden interest in artificial human generation tech in the upper classes

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Tree Reformat posted:

although if civilization somehow lasts long enough for the global population to peak, we might see a sudden interest in artificial human generation tech in the upper classes

I love the recurring fantasy that the world is somehow in danger of running out of humans, humanity is going extinct, etc. There's no way Children of Men broke that many people's brains

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Justin Tyme posted:

Especially because a lot of it hinges on "well, it doesn't quite look right" as if that's not something that can and likely will change (and perhaps rapidly). AI-cloned voice and TTS always sounded a bit wonky until it didn't with the Elevenlabs bot released a few weeks ago. It is SHOCKINGLY good.

It's almost as if art is about meaning things, which are reflected in how it looks, and not just how it looks.

But I see Zodium and Futanari Damacy 's point about how that doesn't mesh with people who see the world in beeps and boops.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Computer, take everyone's posts about how AI isn't art and have them be spoken by a soy wojak. Take all of my posts and have them be said by a Chad.

Then generate a nude a-list Hollywood actress telling me I'm the coolest guy around

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Computer, take everyone's posts about how AI isn't art and have them be spoken by a soy wojak. Take all of my posts and have them be said by a Chad.

Then generate a nude a-list Hollywood actress telling me I'm the coolest guy around

can't wait for the ads where my likeness is generated as a soy wojak as i'm walking past a bus station to tell me i'm cringe for not drinking Monster

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

can't wait for the ads where my likeness is generated as a soy wojak as i'm walking past a bus station to tell me i'm cringe for not drinking Monster

lmao

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

After being alive, nothing,so, pretty much it's just food, and shelter, what does anything else matter to the human body?

But also -
People get the pictures they want to see for a cheaper price.
For the person who makes pictures, that is horrifying.
For everybody else it's a boon.

Mass Production
People get the clothing they want to wear for a cheaper price.
People get the computer parts they want for a cheaper price
People get the more interesting foods for a cheaper price
For the person who makes that stuff it is horrifying.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

you can tell its real art cause when people dont like my ai art i get upset

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

After being alive, nothing,so, pretty much it's just food, and shelter, what does anything else matter to the human body?

But also -
People get the pictures they want to see for a cheaper price.
For the person who makes pictures, that is horrifying.

Mass Production
People get the clothing they want to wear for a cheaper price.
People get the computer parts they want for a cheaper price
People get the more interesting foods for a cheaper price
For the person who makes that stuff it is horrifying.

Lowered barrier to entry to mass production of higher quality images/videos/music/whatever else should be a boon to creativity and satisfaction of higher level needs. The main issue, of course, is capital capture of these production gains to the material detriment of some or most everyone else.

Anything beyond that is a philosophical discussion of what the rest of society owes those who create the works in the first place, such as attribution of the work, attribution for derivative works, and what level of creative control should be reserved for the creator's sole digression and for how long they should be allowed to have that monopoly of control.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Art inheres in interpretation, not in the intention of the creator.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tree Reformat posted:

Lowered barrier to entry to mass production of higher quality images/videos/music/whatever else should be a boon to creativity and satisfaction of higher level needs. The main issue, of course, is capital capture of these production gains to the material detriment of some or most everyone else.

Anything beyond that is a philosophical discussion of what the rest of society owes those who create the works in the first place, such as attribution of the work, attribution for derivative works, and what level of creative control should be reserved for the creator's sole digression and for how long they should be allowed to have that monopoly of control.

a lot of people seem to be treating ai generation as just a black box where you put a prompt in and a complete image comes out which you must use wholesale
which is understandable since it's still new and inaccessible and mostly being used by non-artistic computer nerds doing exactly that

but its most impactful use in the future will probably be as just one tool among many sitting in the photoshop tool palette for image & photo editing and digital art
https://files.catbox.moe/vn5jed.mp4
used for redrawing small sections of an image, adding background details you don't care too much about behind the main subject, adding texture or coloration to stuff, etc

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

a lot of people seem to be treating ai generation as just a black box where you put a prompt in and a complete image comes out which you must use wholesale
which is understandable since it's still new and inaccessible and mostly being used by non-artistic computer nerds doing exactly that

but its most impactful use in the future will probably be as just one tool among many sitting in the photoshop tool palette for image & photo editing and digital art
https://files.catbox.moe/vn5jed.mp4
used for redrawing small sections of an image, adding background details you don't care too much about behind the main subject, adding texture or coloration to stuff, etc

yep

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Wow, this AI generated "art" is terrible, it looks like a loving urinal

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I think the only real question, at the end of the day, is whether or not AI output is "good enough" (or "plausible enough") to replace human output. If it can, it will replace humans, at least in some domains. If you refuse to use it, someone else will, and they'll be so much more productive the bespoke artists will simply be swamped.

I've been a little surprised at how moderately negative, or at least ambivalent, the reaction to AI Art has been among lay quarters on the Internet, largely, from what I can tell, rooted in the notion that art is an expression of a particular subjective experience and an act of communication between thinking and feeling beings. But, at the end of the day, that doesn't matter--if it's good enough, it will be used, especially, at first, in cases where most people aren't even thinking about the agent behind the content (voice acting or background art in a videogame, for example).

All that said, I think part of the very genuine and intrinsic pleasure to art (broadly defined) is in the act of communication between people that happens after--the chat in the theater lobby, the the debate on the discussion forum, even the incendiary hot take on Buzzfeed. If AI content is so genuinely stimulating, titilating, fungible, but also so idiosyncratic and myriad, that everyone can just watch their own custom My Little Pony in the 30 Years War But They Also Have Huge Boobs movies in their dank bedrooms Forever, what happens to that critical social component (the end state of this kind of content is clearly some kind of fully immersive and responsive videogame/simulation that consistenly offers up the user's most pleasurable stimulation of course). But maybe humans are so broadly similar that the AI will just be able to churn out The Best Movie You've Ever Seen every couple hours on Twitch and 60% of people will agree, it is the best movie they've ever seen. Until the next one comes out.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
"Eventually there will probably be some benefit" is not a convincing sell as to why it should exist in the first place

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

has anyone read The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction by Walter Benjamin? it seems like it would be relevant to consider but I haven't read it. maybe I will but not now.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

porfiria posted:

I've been a little surprised at how moderately negative, or at least ambivalent, the reaction to AI Art has been among lay quarters on the Internet, largely, from what I can tell, rooted in the notion that art is an expression of a particular subjective experience and an act of communication between thinking and feeling beings. But, at the end of the day, that doesn't matter--if it's good enough, it will be used, especially, at first, in cases where most people aren't even thinking about the agent behind the content (voice acting or background art in a videogame, for example).

Part if it is that the artist reaction against it has been mostly limited to art twitter, and especially digital art twitter. Talk to, say, a painter or sculptor who isn't terminally online, and they probably might not even be aware generative bots are a thing now, much less care about what they're doing.

quote:

All that said, I think part of the very genuine and intrinsic pleasure to art (broadly defined) is in the act of communication between people that happens after--the chat in the theater lobby, the the debate on the discussion forum, even the incendiary hot take on Buzzfeed. If AI content is so genuinely stimulating, titilating, fungible, but also so idiosyncratic and myriad, that everyone can just watch their own custom My Little Pony in the 30 Years War But They Also Have Huge Boobs movies in their dank bedrooms Forever, what happens to that critical social component (the end state of this kind of content is clearly some kind of fully immersive and responsive videogame/simulation that consistenly offers up the user's most pleasurable stimulation of course). But maybe humans are so broadly similar that the AI will just be able to churn out The Best Movie You've Ever Seen every couple hours on Twitch and 60% of people will agree, it is the best movie they've ever seen. Until the next one comes out.

A lot of people thought streaming on-demand services and time-shifted viewing would be the death kneel of social viewing. And while yes, the monoculture is dead and everyone has some streaming show they've never seen, there's still a big social component around seeing TV shows when they release, or tuning into (para)socially interact with streamers and other chat participants. I don't think the desire to interact with other humans will ever really die.

The more interesting question is how much will generative systems be able to provide the illusion of humanity to humans, and how accepting and willing to engage with such facsimiles most people will turn out to be.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

they'll be very accepting at first, and then increasingly less accepting, because generative art converges and human art diverges. it would take a very different kind of process than "ai" to produce output that is "different from this" instead of "like this."

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

"Eventually there will probably be some benefit" is not a convincing sell as to why it should exist in the first place

don't say this around Blockchain enthusiasts

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Zodium posted:

they'll be very accepting at first, and then increasingly less accepting, because generative art converges and human art diverges. it would take a very different kind of process than "ai" to produce output that is "different from this" instead of "like this."

Maybe, but it seems as though AI can be very quickly trained to emulate particular artists or modes.

https://restofworld.org/2022/ai-backlash-anime-artists/

Obviously none of that AI stuff is as good as the Real Kim Jung Gi, but the point is that there's a possibility that, whatever new original thing some human thinks up could be quickly assimilated and reproduced by the system.

Tree Reformat posted:

Part if it is that the artist reaction against it has been mostly limited to art twitter, and especially digital art twitter. Talk to, say, a painter or sculptor who isn't terminally online, and they probably might not even be aware generative bots are a thing now, much less care about what they're doing.

Oh sure the twitter artists are scared, but I meant more even from the lay audience who react against the idea of consuming art made by a machine--since the machine doesn't "understand" what it's doing or its output isn't "meaningful" in the way that something produced by a human must be. Which is fair enough, but I think ultimately doesn't matter, since, as I said, I argue that art inheres in the interpretation; it doesn't much matter what the creator thinks. Or if it can think.

porfiria has issued a correction as of 23:26 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

wow a labor-saving device what a revolutionary concept