Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm in a situation that I haven't been in before, which is that I've been terminated from my job and I don't know how to handle this in interviews.

I felt that their demands were unrealistic; they're very new to the world of data, and they wanted a fully automated salesforce ETL pipeline in a month, scripted entirely with python and MySQL. I was the only data engineer in the org, and I had no team and no one to consult with or bounce ideas off of. When I did my job interview with the supervisor, I told him that I didn't have any practice with python programming in my last job, so he should have known that I wouldn't be able to whip out code like a pro. The only other python guy there was too busy and my manager told me not to bother him. I was only with them for four months.

On my last 1:1 my manager gave me a 4/5 and my resume shows that I've received promotions at other jobs in the past.

Anyways!

I'm sure an interviewer isn't going to want to hear all of that, but I just wanted to give some background. This is going to be an obvious question in interviews so I'd like to know the best way to deal with it. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you were set up to fail. I might be too cynical but I wonder if your employer wanted to patch a budget hole and the newbie was easy to justify getting rid of.

If it’s just a 4 month gap you could just leave your last job off your resume if you don’t have other gaps. Could also spin it as the company shifting priorities since it sounds like they just did a 100% RIF on the data engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks for your reply! I think there's probably too much of a LinkedIn paper trail to just pretend the job didn't exist. Mind you, some employers probably don't check but I have no way of knowing that.

The RIF angle sounds interesting though - I will mull over how to spin that during an interview. Thanks again.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm in a situation that I haven't been in before, which is that I've been terminated from my job and I don't know how to handle this in interviews.

I felt that their demands were unrealistic; they're very new to the world of data, and they wanted a fully automated salesforce ETL pipeline in a month, scripted entirely with python and MySQL. I was the only data engineer in the org, and I had no team and no one to consult with or bounce ideas off of. When I did my job interview with the supervisor, I told him that I didn't have any practice with python programming in my last job, so he should have known that I wouldn't be able to whip out code like a pro. The only other python guy there was too busy and my manager told me not to bother him. I was only with them for four months.

On my last 1:1 my manager gave me a 4/5 and my resume shows that I've received promotions at other jobs in the past.

Anyways!

I'm sure an interviewer isn't going to want to hear all of that, but I just wanted to give some background. This is going to be an obvious question in interviews so I'd like to know the best way to deal with it. Thanks in advance!

Its pretty nuts to terminate someone for performance 4 months into the job. That's VERY fast. I'd be very careful getting into any discussion about why because you might not really know what was at work there and the speculation will sound bad.

How big is the company? How many software devs work at the company?

If small and less than 10: I'd handle this by saying that you can only speculate on partial information but it seemed like they hired you to build this ETL pipeline exclusively then changed their mind once they understood what that'd take better.

IMO this is a business situation that happens all the time and an honest representation of the situation based on what data you have shared...and assuming that you're correct about that data.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Its pretty nuts to terminate someone for performance 4 months into the job. That's VERY fast. I'd be very careful getting into any discussion about why because you might not really know what was at work there and the speculation will sound bad.

How big is the company? How many software devs work at the company?

If small and less than 10: I'd handle this by saying that you can only speculate on partial information but it seemed like they hired you to build this ETL pipeline exclusively then changed their mind once they understood what that'd take better.

IMO this is a business situation that happens all the time and an honest representation of the situation based on what data you have shared...and assuming that you're correct about that data.

This is the company: https://www.linkedin.com/company/fusionspan/

Still small by relative standards. There's some other developers, but a lot of it is 'data analysts'. Almost nothing in their environment is automated.

From what I'm gathering, it sounds like my best bet is to say that there were shifting priorities at the org and they decided that RIF was the better option.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Anyways!

In this case 4 months might help you. I'd say something like "I came in there with an impression they needed one thing, and in reality they needed something else. It was a good company but unfortunately a bad fit. It made sense for us to part ways". It'd be worse if it was like 18 months, but a 4 month stint looks more like "They hired the wrong person" vs "you're a fuckup".

CarForumPoster posted:

Yeah I also like this, and again, these comments are not falsehoods. This was a mistake on the companies part.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thank Lockback, that makes a lot of sense.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Seventh Arrow posted:

This is the company: https://www.linkedin.com/company/fusionspan/

Still small by relative standards. There's some other developers, but a lot of it is 'data analysts'. Almost nothing in their environment is automated.

From what I'm gathering, it sounds like my best bet is to say that there were shifting priorities at the org and they decided that RIF was the better option.

This is small, though it lacks the "they have no experience hiring or managing developers" part I was hoping for. I'd suggest thinking over different responses and acting them out in a mirror or with friends. The goal is to plant and semi-confirm these elements in someone's mind without explicitly stating them.:

Element 1) You're a bright dev, <---- You'll do this in the rest of the interview, dont try to do it in the same breath.
Element 2) who speaks accurately and truthfully.
Element 3) You simply don't know that much about why you were terminated, but want to be helpful.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Those are some good things to think about.

Although they have experience hiring/managing developers, they don't have a lot of experience with data analysis/engineering. A lot of companies think that they want to be a part of this "BIG DATA" thing and find out that they don't need or aren't ready for it. A job interviewer might not have an understanding of that, though.

I was mulling over the aspect of playing up the whole "I thought I was going to be part of a ~*TEAM*~ because I really value ~*TEAMWORK*~ but then I found out I didn't have a ~*TEAM*~, I was the only data engineer in the org."

Of course, employers value teamwork but I think I'm better off emphasizing the notion that they had a shift of focus and I was (for all intents and purposes) the odd man out.

Also, is there anything else I can do other than fire out resumes all day? Usually I will check a job posting on LinkedIn to see if the hiring manager and/or person listing the job is mentioned and send them a message. But other than that, are job fairs/meetups still a thing? Is there any kind of networking that I can do?

I'm quite the introvert but I need to focus on effective solutions before my rent money runs out (I have a number of months before that will happen, fortunately)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Mostly firing off resumes, but go through your network and if you know anyone at a place that's hiring, have a chat and see if you can get a recommendation through. That's way to shortcut.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My resume has the city, state of where I work. Does this typically change for remote workers? The company is based out of Maryland, I live in Texas and work 100% remotely. Do people just keep where they live or do they put remote? I suppose either works I'm just curious what others do

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

My resume has the city, state of where I work. Does this typically change for remote workers? The company is based out of Maryland, I live in Texas and work 100% remotely. Do people just keep where they live or do they put remote? I suppose either works I'm just curious what others do

The company will decide if they care about where you are located. I'd maybe not list <Remote> explicitly, just let the company decide if they want to talk to you or not.

If you're getting lots of contacts that dry up when you mention remote you can list it, but otherwise you might get yourself filtered out of jobs that might be open to remote after they see who you are.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Do whichever will benefit your application. It doesn’t really matter.

If you’re applying to jobs in the DMV, leave it as Maryland. If you’re applying for remote jobs, put it as remote. If you’re applying to TX jobs, put your TX location in parentheses. As in “Jobstown, MD (remotely based in Jobsville, TX)”

Don’t lie if someone asks though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I just don't bother and when recruiters approach me I tell them I'm not going into an office ever again. Sorts it out real quick.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Right after the new year I applied for an internal position at my small-company employer that looked like such a perfect fit it could have been tailored to my experience and skills. Then, two days before my interview, I accidentally found out (someone left a printed email out where I happened to see it) that the position was already earmarked for a particular not-me person and the interviewing process was a formality. Standard bullshit.

But a funny thing happened. Knowing I wasn't getting the job no matter what I did (and also that I was already well along with another company, anyway) put me into a genuine Peter Gibbons headspace where I felt no pressure at all, didn't care about the outcome, and so I just went into it as relaxed as could be. Little more than kicking back and shooting the poo poo, practically. And I killed it. I walked out of there knowing that was probably the best interview performance of my life. It helped that the position was so well suited to me and I knew both interviewers, of course, but the total freedom from giving a poo poo about it was definitely a factor.

They scheduled a second interview with me for last week, which turned out not to even be an interview at all. They skipped straight to offering me a different position they decided to create for me after the first interview, with a 30% pay bump that was pro forma negotiated to 40%. I wonder how much of their decision to do that was because I'm awesome, and how much was because my happily cavalier attitude during the first interview made them think "poo poo, we're about to lose this guy aren't we" even though I never actually said anything to that effect.

I've observed for years that Not Giving A gently caress is actually really powerful in any kind of persuasive or negotiating environment, but I think I reached a whole new appreciation for it this month. If you can work yourself into that blue mental sky where you go into an interview not caring about the outcome, because gently caress it you're awesome and gonna be just fine regardless, it's like a superpower.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've observed for years that Not Giving A gently caress is actually really powerful in any kind of persuasive or negotiating environment, but I think I reached a whole new appreciation for it this month. If you can work yourself into that blue mental sky where you go into an interview not caring about the outcome, because gently caress it you're awesome and gonna be just fine regardless, it's like a superpower.

I think like 80% of the value of experience is actually mostly this.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I explained it to a co-worker getting ticked off with a micromanaging boss as "just don't care". He tells you to do something stupid? Just don't care. Forget about it entirely. He's mad at you for not doing the stupid thing? Don't care about that either. Eventually he'll learn to stop expecting you to care and just let you do your job.

I was there two months before the boss stopped asking me to do stupid dangerous poo poo. Co-worker had been there five years.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The only advice i've heard on this front is dont explicitly list your home adress/zip/personally identifiable information.
Some resumes get binned for being too identifiable/too much anti-segregation policies; others for skimming personal info to sell to ad netwworks.

Tldr, don't list #state, zip, address - list #state, city if you have to.

It sounds like you're ahead of that front tho.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Moved from negotiation thread coz I think it belongs here instead:

I have a final round interview with HR coming up shortly for a role at a new company. I have already met all the relevant business stakeholders.

I am unsure what this will involve as in the past the HR interview has always come at the start of the process as a screening measure: is this just another name for the meeting to negotiate an offer, or are there substantive questions I should expect from an HR director? Tech company, international role but likely they’ll expect me to relocate to one of the usual US tech hubs after the first year.

It just feels really weird to me to see HR after everyone who will have interact with me has already gone “yup, ok.” But from googling it seems a lot of places do this?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Beefeater1980 posted:

I have a final round interview with HR coming up shortly for a role at a new company. I have already met all the relevant business stakeholders.

I am unsure what this will involve as in the past the HR interview has always come at the start of the process as a screening measure: is this just another name for the meeting to negotiate an offer, or are there substantive questions I should expect from an HR director? Tech company, international role but likely they’ll expect me to relocate to one of the usual US tech hubs after the first year.

It just feels really weird to me to see HR after everyone who will have interact with me has already gone “yup, ok.” But from googling it seems a lot of places do this?

It’s common and for me has been the part where they make an offer, yea. Be ready to negotiate and make decisions.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’ve had this sort of thing so they could walk through benefits ahead of an incoming written offer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

The only advice i've heard on this front is dont explicitly list your home adress/zip/personally identifiable information.
Some resumes get binned for being too identifiable/too much anti-segregation policies; others for skimming personal info to sell to ad netwworks.

Tldr, don't list #state, zip, address - list #state, city if you have to.

It sounds like you're ahead of that front tho.

This will get your resume tossed frequently too. It's better just to list that info. If the company needs someone local, getting your resume tossed for not being local isn't a problem, you get nothing for wasting yourself and everyone's time.

If you're trying to relocate then there's some things you can do to improve those chances, but if you don't want to relocate list your address.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I do this. It'll be an offer and walk through benefits.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Last job started 12/2021 and I was laid off 7/2022.
Next job started 10/2022 and I was laid off today.
Is there anything I can put on my resume to indicate these were layoffs and I'm not a serial job-jumper or should I not worry about it? I do have a brief elevator pitch paragraph on my resume, but I try to keep it concise about my skills with just a final sentence about why I'm in the job market.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Friend posted:

Last job started 12/2021 and I was laid off 7/2022.
Next job started 10/2022 and I was laid off today.
Is there anything I can put on my resume to indicate these were layoffs and I'm not a serial job-jumper or should I not worry about it? I do have a brief elevator pitch paragraph on my resume, but I try to keep it concise about my skills with just a final sentence about why I'm in the job market.

I’d worry about it. Post your resume. Everyone fired for incompetence says they were laid off. If you were the new guy caught in a >10% reduction in force, aight. I’d make that clear in one sentence for each. I might even go so far as to link to a news article about it if one existed and I could do so without it seeming like overcompensating.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Heck just put "start date - end date (RIF)" and let them look it up if suspicious. It'll be trivial to check via googling.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

No lie the interviews I've done best at are the ones where I really, truly was not concerned whether I got the job or not.

Does anyone even know what those letters mean

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 4, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

melon cat posted:

"Reduction In Force", aka a fancy way to say 'laid off'. I'm not sure what areas it's well-known in.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

melon cat posted:

No lie the interviews I've done best at are the ones where I really, truly did not give a gently caress whether I got the job or not.

Removed for Irradiating Fish.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Quackles posted:

"Reduction In Force", aka a fancy way to say 'laid off'. I'm not sure what areas it's well-known in.

HR will know the term.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Alright! Got my first "I accidentally left another company's name in my cover letter for a job I was actually qualified for" of the year out of the way.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh boy I have an initial phone interview on Wednesday yaaaay

It’s for a position incredibly similar to mine now but different industry, and likely different workflow.

I’ve heard about applicants interviewing companies - is that something worth considering at this stage, or at all?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What do you mean exactly? The interview is a two way street. You should be asking questions that you want answered regarding the company's position, strategy, goals, how it operates, your team, etc. You should also do some pre-research on the company to learn some of these things so that your questions are not completely unanchored and that you can get to a level of useful detail in your interview.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

m0therfux0r posted:

Alright! Got my first "I accidentally left another company's name in my cover letter for a job I was actually qualified for" of the year out of the way.

*points to head* Can't heck up a cover letter if you never send a cover letter.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You are never obligated to take or grovel for a job. Politely removing yourself from consideration after an interview will not give you a black mark anywhere that's worth working for. That's what interviews are for and it's not at all a problem.

It's not like taking a job and then pulling out. If you "waste" an interview your just using time they have set aside to find a candidate. When a candidate accepts a position and then backtracks you need to restart the entire hiring machine again which is significant and may have screwed over other candidates who were cut loose, hence why that usually is a problem (though there are situations where it might be the right move regardless).

Finally, if you go into an interview with the mindset that you are interviewing them as much as they are you, you are almost certainly going to do a better job in general.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Does anyone have some tips or advice on what to expect for a third (final) interview and facility tour on an entry level IT help desk job? After looking up the names of the people I am scheduled to meet with on LinkedIn (split over two hour-long meetings with a 30 min campus tour in between), it looks like it is going to be with what would be my peers (if hired).

Quick timeline:

quote:

This past Wednesday, my first interview was over the phone with HR where they asked me specific questions to gauge my technical aptitude for the position (got all of them correct according to her) as well as to talk about myself. Took about half an hour and they said that they had a good time speaking with me and that they would definitely recommend me to the hiring manager. Got a call from the same HR person saying that the hiring manager would be excited to meet with me for the second interview over video conferencing the next day.

Thursday, I meet with the hiring manager over a video call. I learn that this is who I would work under directly if hired. We talk about each other's histories and other interests while they asked me more open ended questions related to the job. At 50 minutes, they stopped me and mentions that the meeting was only scheduled for 45 minutes and asked if we could go longer. We end up talking for an hour and a half total. They ended the interview by saying that they really "had a lot of fun" talking with me and that they think I am a good fit from what he's heard and hopes to speak with me again soon.

Friday, I get a phone call from the initial HR person saying that both she and the hiring manager really liked me and that they are both excited to meet me in person, inviting me next week to the (final) onsite interview with a facility tour.

I'm kinda nervous because I've never had a job in IT before and I've also never had a job where I'd had to go to a third round of interviews. I wrote out the timeline above mainly to try and give myself confidence because it does seem like they do want me?

Edit: Also as a side question, what should I be wearing if I was told that the office has a casual dress code and that I should wear something comfortable and presentable?

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 11, 2023

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ihatepants posted:

Edit: Also as a side question, what should I be wearing if I was told that the office has a casual dress code and that I should wear something comfortable and presentable?
Slacks, closed toe leather shoes, and something with a collar.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It’s IT help desk - you probably would be fine with recently laundered clothes without stains or ahegao faces on them.

But yeah decent slacks and a collared shirt plus boring but comfortable shoes will definitely do the trick.

If it’s an interview with peers they probably want to get a feel of is this guy going to make my job harder or not and is this guy going to be lovely to work with. Show interest, be polite, ask some work related questions, ask some non work related questions, and try to convey that you are a competent and helpful person that they will at least not hate working with.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

I’d worry about it. Post your resume. Everyone fired for incompetence says they were laid off. If you were the new guy caught in a >10% reduction in force, aight. I’d make that clear in one sentence for each. I might even go so far as to link to a news article about it if one existed and I could do so without it seeming like overcompensating.

Thanks, I got my first rando recruiter message on linkedin and sure enough she asked why my jobs were so short, so I added a sentence in my linkedin experience and put "(Layoff)" after the years on my resume. Hope that works

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Right now I'm participating in the hiring process for entry level (like $14/hour) staff and you would not believe how bad the resumes are. Like google docs has templates that just prompt you for info and make the resume for you, how can you make it look this bad and sound this much like it was dictated by a second grader.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

You say that like PhD resumes aren’t just as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Eric the Mauve posted:

Right now I'm participating in the hiring process for entry level (like $14/hour) staff and you would not believe how bad the resumes are. Like google docs has templates that just prompt you for info and make the resume for you, how can you make it look this bad and sound this much like it was dictated by a second grader.

Yea $14/hr was livable here 10 years ago. Now it’s what Dunkin donuts pays. You’re gonna be getting resumes from people who were fired from Dunkin’ Donuts.