Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

deoju posted:

Speaking of gun noobs, Sam's gun wasn't fully loaded. I have to think that was a deliberate artistic choice rather than an error since kids with guns was adressed earlier in the episode.

:goonsay:

At least he's holding the revolver correctly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

freebooter posted:

Really liked the set/costume/general feeling of this one. When America fractures into a Midwestern insurgent civil war in the next 10-20 years I imagine it'll look like this, a real Belfast circa 1980 vibe.

I always thought when you see the Mad Max esque post-apocalyptic raiders with skulls on their cars it's a real "are we the baddies?" moment, but actually, the suburban warrior caste with the wrap-around shades and AR-15 that they probably go to sleep with would absolutely be spraypainting "RUN" on their snow plow death mobile, going out there and massacring travellers just passing by, and then returning home to their wife and kids to go to sleep without a care in the world.

1980s Belfast was grim but not that grim. Compared to a lot of US cities at the time you were statistically less likely to get shot in Belfast.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

deoju posted:

Speaking of gun noobs, Sam's gun wasn't fully loaded. I have to think that was a deliberate artistic choice rather than an error since kids with guns was adressed earlier in the episode.

Couldn't he just not have that many bullets?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The beaverton hits it real right now and then

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

So this weeks discourse is gonna be gun lovers talking about how they would have survived?

man I love this thread.

it being a zombie show always invites this stuff

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

Joel and Ellie talking it out right after the shootout was the high point for me. Pedro Pascal was effectively conveying at least three things at once, trying do the adult thing and get her to talk irrespective of how bad he was at it, struggling with his own horror at the world kids are growing up in now, and alternating between pride and relief that she saved him and his irritation that she had a secret gun. It was a hell of a scene from both of them and he correctly chose a lesson on the gun instead of a lecture.

Maybe my bar is just really low after hate-watching TWD for years and witnessing not one single moment of normal human dialogue. I don't really care if these writers don't know their guns to be honest, as long as the words coming out of peoples' mouths are interesting or at least not infuriatingly stupid.

its also great to see people who have watched poo poo zombie media react to good ones.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I’m not convinced this show isn’t a comedy and they made ep 3 by mistake.

In the first episode their solution to too many cars/people was to drive into the city center and predictably get overrun by cars/people, although that did give us the comedy video game moment of “oh no now the alleyway is blocked somehow, we’ll meet you later at location x”

In this last episode their solution to a blocked bridge on the interstate was not to attempt to drive around it but instead to drive straight into downtown Kansas City lmao. This is is after having a discussion about how people are the real danger.

Dude is supposed to be a tough, experienced, do-what-it-takes apocalypse survivor? Lol these people are dumber than the walking dead characters.

Also they’re going from Boston to the north of Wyoming. What the gently caress are they doing in Kansas City?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

I mean didn't someone get shot and killed onset just recently because they weren't jumping through enough hoops?

Point is the chances of getting shot on set by a convincing fake gun are exactly zero, but a small but vocal fraction of the audience will be triggered by the appearance of even a convincing fake.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

Also they’re going from Boston to the north of Wyoming. What the gently caress are they doing in Kansas City?

I mean, the route works and they are staying near population centers so they can stay near enough vehicles to reliably siphon gas.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I think the AR-15 boom started a little earlier, like in the mid 90s, but regardless, you know who has a lot of 5.56? FEDRA and the military. So even if the boom didn't happen in this universe it would still be the most plentiful ammunition by far, and from episode 1 we know there's a factory in Atlanta that still makes it.

Okay, fair enough, but just hire someone that does and get their feedback on it. I understand that never everyone is into guns but in a show where they matter it a lot I don't think it's unreasonable to pay a little bit of attention to them in way that doesn't need to bog the story down. One was suggested in this very thread, just have them load the car up, and make it so they have to abandon them. You see this in war movies/shows a lot too, if they had just asked someone with knowledge in that field they could avoid what are really easy L's to avoid. It's why The Hurt Locker is so disliked by the veteran community. What's the big deal, Bulky, haven't you heard of suspension of disbelief? There's zombies! Sure, but the more you ask your audience to suspend disbelief, especially over stuff there's no real reason to have to make that ask, the more you risk a fictional world that gets rejected.

I find this stuff to be jarring when I'm asked to believe Joel is a beast at post-apocalyptic survival. Ditto for his decision to go directly through Kansas City instead of driving around it where it's much harder to get ambushed by infected or survivors. His biggest reason for it seemed to be that he chose to go into the city because the plot needed him to.

But of course there's the moral/political angle to this topic as well, so people get fired up about in a way that wouldn't happen if the next Jurassic Park decided to show T-Rex as a cuddly herbivore or a show about the American revolution where everyone wore 20th century clothing.

does anyone have an emoji of a gun nerd

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

And yeah Joel made a bad decision to not go the long way, but you could see why. He didn't want to waste the time and resources, and the other side of the highway was clear.

So yeah he made a risky choice which turned out to be the wrong one, but it wasn't done from being stupid. Sometimes people make bad choices.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

deoju posted:

I caught that too. The shot is framed in a way that they seemingly want you to see the empty chambers. I suspect it could potentially be a plot point, because Joel would have noticed it wasn't loaded. I can't remember how this encounter went in the game. Either way, we've got some really goddamn good examples as to why gun safety on set needs to be taken seriously, so people that get triggered by that stuff aren't worth engaging.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

And yeah Joel made a bad decision to not go the long way, but you could see why. He didn't want to waste the time and resources, and the other side of the highway was clear.

So yeah he made a risky choice which turned out to be the wrong one, but it wasn't done from being stupid. Sometimes people make bad choices.

He also visibly turned around earlier from another route, so maybe his paranoia double crossed him and he took a worse route because he assumed a better one was a site for an ambush. He's not picking routes based purely off minimum travel time.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

withak posted:

I will always :lol: @ Hollywood having to jump through all those gun-related safety hoops just to keep some portion of their audience from flipping TFO when they see a safe, inert, gun-shaped prop on the screen.

IIRC after doing some reading after the Baldwin situation they often aren't using gun-shaped props, they're using actual guns that are either modified or just unloaded because it's hard to mimic the weight/feel of a real gun without Basically Just Making a Gun, and it's much cheaper and there's significantly more access to just use existing stuff. And if they do just use props that don't simulate the weight then audiences tend to clock it because it looks like they're running around with toys.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Regarding route chat: They should have done St Louis instead because then they could have been trapped by trying to get over the Mississippi River. “We have to go this way to get to the only standing bridge we can get the car over.”

Also, according to google maps, it’s 22 hours from Boston to KC, so in the apocalypse times when you can’t gas up at the Shell station and you probably don’t get up much past 35 miles an hour even on the Interstate, it had to have taken over a week. Ellie’s “my second day in a fucken car” line doesn’t work.

I honestly don’t care but it did pull me out in a way that gas chat, gun chat, and “10 miles west of Boston” chat didn’t.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm not familiar with US geography, but looking at a map, Kansas City doesn't make sense. Was one of the writers from there, maybe?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The incorrect use of guns and ammo is ruining my immersion in this mushroom-zombie show! :argh:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Could it be because of the time of year? Maybe they're heading through KC to avoid worse weather farther north.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I hope there's a scene this week of Joel listing off every major US city and specifically why they didn't go to it

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Tommy compiled a list of cities with the best pizza while he was heading west and Kansas City was at the top, hence the detour and Joel's expression when he saw the QZ.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Joel should have just Google mapped it for the most efficient route.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ShowTime posted:

I've known gas goes bad forever, but is it true that you can actually still use some gas? Does it just not work as well over time or does most of it turn to waste, with only a little still salvageable?

Good episode though. I last said that this was gonna be the episode where Bella Ramsey kind of has to win me over as Ellie and she sure did. And again, i'm a fan of the actress, I just wasn't digging her as Ellie in the first 2 episodes. This episode she did way better imo and I'm behind her as Ellie going forward. The little jokes between her and Pedro were fantastic. Not only the pun books, but the bit in the car with the coffee made me actually laugh.

Edit: Oh, and the Baldwin gun incident would never happen on an HBO production. That production he was in where it happened was cheap, rushed and everyone was overworked. HBO pays well enough and with all the money behind it, they are gonna take their time and make sure that never happens. Also, with all the guns we saw this episode, I imagine they have a meeting basically at the start of every day about it and go through all the motions. I've worked on a couple movies where firearms are involved and before every encounter with one, they called everyone around, explained whats going on and asked if anyone would like to inspect the weapon beforehand to verify that it was safe. The weapons master was always around during them as well, like just out of frame. Whenever it wasn't being used, the weapons master took it and held onto it until it needed to be used again.

Hear me out here: plastic guns.

- no risk of injury
- no training needed
- looks as realistic as you want them made
- 99% of the people watching won’t notice a difference
- 90% of the 1% that do notice won’t care

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

People will complain no matter what when it comes to an adaptation. One of the points of the gameplay was extreme scarcity of ammo, melee is often a way better choice for ammo conservation and noise reasons. Add to this the standard video game need to slowly improve your arsenal over the course of the game, and the result is that Joel's main rifle throughout most of the game is a bolt-action hunting rifle. I'm pretty sure you kill or come across people who have semi-autos multiple times without taking one.

Give Joel an AR-15 for :911: realism and people will complain that it loses the feeling of Joel being equipped with basic household weapons, because in media wooden grandpa guns are for regular people and scary black guns are for hardcore operators. Bolt-action visually and aurally emphasizes the 'make every shot count' feeling.

But of course, give Joel a basic gun like he has in the game and then it won't make much sense, because it never made sense in the game either. It's interesting which things stand out much more in a different medium though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

LLSix posted:

As someone who lived in Kansas City, it's pretty obvious that they picked Kansas City without knowing much about it. I've never been to Philly, so I can't comment on if the switch makes more or less sense, but in a vacuum it doesn't make much sense.

look let's just be glad that there's slightly less gun violence in the post apocalypse

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

withak posted:

Point is the chances of getting shot on set by a convincing fake gun are exactly zero, but a small but vocal fraction of the audience will be triggered by the appearance of even a convincing fake.

This is such an amazing thing to choose to post right now

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Hollywood should just use Blue Guns then use blue screening to make them all look real.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
frankly anything beyond finger guns and yelling pew pew is unnecessary

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Toaster Beef posted:

Laura Dern saying 'pew' made it into the final cut of The Last Jedi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw7Q4MqmX0g
Honestly, I think it is cute, funny and memorable. Also I am sure there is some Extended Universe explanation for it by now. Like 'pew' is some ancient curse in her native language.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Toaster Beef posted:

Henry V opens with a speech explaining that they can't afford to actually have horses or a thousand armed knights on stage. (O, for a muse of fire that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention!) For Henry VIII, Shakespeare had actual cannons on stage, and one of them burned down his theatre.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
By the sacred principle of Chekov's Gun, I expect Ellie to have shot her drat rear end off by the end of this season.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Toaster Beef posted:

This reminds me of one of my favorite "gun" fights of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEkybsx2kB8

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
car dudes who only commute to work, sports fans who say 'we' and gun guys reacting to media... monsters, all of them.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/benjisales/status/1622716443925118989

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Are the Grammy's really competition for dramatic television? lol. Glad it's doing well though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The fourth episode was easily the weakest so far.

It’s far from the worst hour forty minutes of television I’ve watched, and it’s handicapped by being largely setup for episode five, but I wouldn’t be surprised if viewership drops next week Friday.

Speaking of, just blame it on the interrupted schedule.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mantis42 posted:

look let's just be glad that there's slightly less gun violence in the post apocalypse

Fair and funny.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bugblatter posted:

Are the Grammy's really competition for dramatic television? lol. Glad it's doing well though.

Entertainment industry people wildly overestimate the popularity of awards shows.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Surprised no one's mentioned yet the extremely video-gamey bits where Ellie had to climb through a small gap to open a bigger door for Joel to get through. I assume that's an actual thing from the game that they included specifically so people who've played it would recognise it. It's not that it's impossible for a situation like that to ever come up, of course, but twice in one episode?

Paddyo posted:

As long as it's kept clean and dry it will still work. The light ends evaporate away over time so it will just be difficult to start and run like crap.
Not even really knowing anything about how cars work, it did occur to me when he made the point about it not working well that their car seems to be running incredibly smoothly on this supposedly lovely petrol.

Platystemon posted:

The fourth episode was easily the weakest so far.
I thought it was about on par with the previous one. Too little happening, but a few good bits throughout. In this case, it seemed like too much time spent on not really telling us enough about the latest set of bad guys, who are probably not going to be around for more than about two episodes.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
The episode was fairly average, really. Nothing to complain or write home about. Watchable though - the landscape scenes were nice (but fleeting), a bunch of character development, as much action as everyone predicted after last episode, and I don't remember this part of the game (if this was even in the game) which makes it a little more interesting. All those dark scenes helped justify my purchase of an OLED TV though so that was good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Toaster Beef posted:

There should just be verbal guns. Where the characters say they have a gun and are going to point it at someone and shoot them. "If I had a gun right now, which I do which is a very fine gun with large bullets, I am going to retrieve that gun and shoot it at you!" "My squad has five guns pointed at you right now, do you think your gunning can gun down all of my team?" "Watch me, or give me the gold, right now!" "Ok, ok, here is the gold!"