Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

Calling this done. I've gone over that drat mask so many times it's a miracle it's not blobbed to hell and back.

Very nice, digging the improvements you finished this one up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

After buying a 40k starter set (and a bunch of extra's) and finishing the Space Marines i have now also finished the Necron. Did a lot of dry brushing in different brass colours with some silver on top to brighten it up. And figured out how to use gemstone paints, tesseract glow and contrast paint for the details. Pretty happy with the results!

Been using some of these models while playing DND as enemies and my players really like them. If you ever want to run White Plume Mountain you can very easily make it a necron tomb!

engessa fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 5, 2023

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

more gallowdark terrain completed!

I cant believe I'm saying this, but I'm 75% finished with Gallowdark Terrain! I'm only a few big wall pieces away from being totally done! and just in time for Soulshackle! now I can focus on finishing the units!

Look good, I'm looking forward to the post with them setup. So many other people paint this style of terrain very dark, I think the colors you've picked look better than everything being dark.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Finecast can suck my ballls. Mold lines were more like huge mold slips, bendy sword, and gaps all over the place. But it was all sadly worth it for Commissar Severina Raine

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Check out what I'm going to try out, someone lent me their metallics

Edit

Same, there's a huge difference in quality between their resin and plastic

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Edit

that's a lot of air bubbles on the shoulder, mold line on the feet and hands that you missed

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Edit

I'm not sure if you know, but those liquid gold metallics need to be thinned with alcohol.

I have a 10+ year old bottle of gold I continue to not open.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

that's a lot of air bubbles on the shoulder, mold line on the feet and hands that you missed

Honestly, I hadn't noticed, and I'm not quite sure how I'd fix the bubbles, sanding would strip further details.

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm not sure if you know, but those liquid gold metallics need to be thinned with alcohol.

I have a 10+ year old bottle of gold I continue to not open.

We discussed using only the junkiest of brushes for them, and maybe isopropyl could be used with it?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I think if you're using junk brushes you won't need to thin.

I really should open my bottle so I could give usable advice.

edit: I guess we should be specific. If you introduce water to the paint it rusts instantly, so clean and thin with 99% isopropyl and use a junk brush.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 6, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Honestly, I hadn't noticed, and I'm not quite sure how I'd fix the bubbles, sanding would strip further details.

We discussed using only the junkiest of brushes for them, and maybe isopropyl could be used with it?

Any gap filler like liquid green stuff fixes the bubbles. And with these resin kits you need to go through them with a microscope as there's so many flaws with them that dont seem noticeable until you start painting

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

drybrushing a finecast model is a really great way to see the ten bazillion flaws you missed during assembly

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Finecast models belong in a microwave.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
"maybe this one will be different. Maybe this one will have a sword that won't be bent. Maybe this one will have a sword that's only slightly bent and when I heat it and set it, it'll stay in that position for more than an hour. Maybe this one won't have a 0.5mm mold slip along most of the pieces. Maybe I won't have to be a green stuff surgeon for this one" - me, a total loving moron, said a week ago

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ijyt posted:

Finecast models belong in a microwave.

now you have me googling if it's safe to put resin in a microwave.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I want to give my black spray can a 21 waaagh salute, after successfully priming all of my recruit edition, into the dark, and octarius terrain your life on this earth has come to an end. You have served the emperor well :orks101:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm blocking in the colors for Eisenhorn now, and I can't see the bubbles at all :hb:

I go to look at the bullshot for eisenhorn to get some ideas for reference and the example image is a resin print and it has more defined detail.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 6, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have reached four years of painting miniatures now, and it's only taken off maybe 12 years of my life from the stress. Totally worth it. :peanut: I still love painting miniatures, but I don't think i'm ever going to like actually playing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lookit them paint pots!!

(WD AUG2006)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That cat lost 1 Wound shortly after the picture was taken.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I have reached four years of painting miniatures now, and it's only taken off maybe 12 years of my life from the stress. Totally worth it. :peanut: I still love painting miniatures, but I don't think i'm ever going to like actually playing.

Just do what I do and paint what looks fun, buy cheap rules for a bunch of indie games, look through your collection and go "wow, I have most of what I need... But I but I could have everything..." Then buy a bunch more to maybe paint but definitely never play.

Also always tell yourself that this time will be different. I mean, Mörk Boll is only $10, and I'm sure I got most of a team - maybe just a couple more for star players, a ref or two, maybe some Random Idiots if I need to sub them in...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
and even though it hadn't been invented yet, it somehow knocked over a pot of Nuln Oil.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AndyElusive posted:

That cat lost 1 Wound shortly after the picture was taken.

Don't worry, they've got 8 more to go

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

Lookit them paint pots!!

(WD AUG2006)

Not pictured: the pliers need to unscrew those lids after they inevitably glued themselves shut with dried paint.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Trying my hand at this...it's a lot harder than they make it out to be

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I don't get the draw of non metallic metals. It seems like a lot of work to get something that looks worse than just using metallic paints?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you do it right it can look amazing. Problem is, the only person that does it right is flameon miniatures, and then other golden demon type dudes like Richard Grey etc does it well but not as astonishingly accurate. Everything else just looks kinda uncanny to me

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chainclaw posted:

I don't get the draw of non metallic metals. It seems like a lot of work to get something that looks worse than just using metallic paints?
It's fun to do! You can get some incredible results and you have complete control of the reflections and look, but even a small mistake can ruin the effect.
It's just another way to paint metals, but I feel like it's still in the early stage of adoption, like when everyone made insanely blown out highlights with airbrushing.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Yeah, when it's done well, it lets you create accurately scaled reflections given your surface and the direction of your hypothetical light source. But it's also easy to end up with something looking like a cheesy chrome effect out of a 1980s action film poster.

e: that's not to knock it, I do prefer NMN, but it's a thin line between realistic reflections and uncanny chromed effect and man is it a pain to get right

Loden Taylor fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 6, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Electric Hobo posted:

It's just another way to paint metals, but I feel like it's still in the early stage of adoption, like when everyone made insanely blown out highlights with airbrushing.

NMM for miniatures began in like the 90s because metallic paint sucked back then so I don't think it's quite in the early stage anymore

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

NMM for miniatures began in like the 90s because metallic paint sucked back then so I don't think it's quite in the early stage anymore
No, but I don't remember seeing people actually doing it until a few years ago. The earliest I remember seeing was Rackham miniatures, I think?
But what I meant was that it feels pretty new as a mainstream technique, at least to me.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's a fun way to push yourself as a painter, and allows you to better control reflections and color variations in your model. This moreso lends itself to single miniature, display piece, diorama type painting for 99.99% of people. I would not recommend, and don't know anyone on IG, that paints entire armies in NMM. I've done a few small bits myself as sort of testing into the concept of NMM and plan to do more in the future but I'm very much a baby at it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Electric Hobo posted:

No, but I don't remember seeing people actually doing it until a few years ago. The earliest I remember seeing was Rackham miniatures, I think?
But what I meant was that it feels pretty new as a mainstream technique, at least to me.

It was a thing in 2009 when it was all the rage here.

And Snakebite Leather was a paint color, and washes were newfangled things and people kept priming their minis in gesso.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

My man, the Rackham nmm craze was like 23 years ago. I remember because everyone on rec.mini-painting was obsessed with it :v:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Jonny Nox posted:

And Snakebite Leather was a paint color, and washes were newfangled things and people kept priming their minis in gesso.
Oh, gods, fuckers going on and on about priming their miniatures in loving gesso like it was some kind of wizardry.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Nox posted:

It was a thing in 2009 when it was all the rage here.

Holy poo poo, well just disregard what I'm saying, I'm apparently completely out of the loop, and have no concept of time!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You're probably getting tripped up by the pandemic causing an explosion on people getting into hobbies combined with the high visibility of instagram painters and YouTube tutorials leading to people trying their hand at NMM and sharing it on social media readily because everyone has a 10 megapixel camera in their pocket.

But yes everything old is new again, people are busting out the oil paints and model vehicle techniques and Marco Frisoni is trying to get viewers to look up 17th century masters for ideas on how to conceptualize and play with light on your models.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Eej posted:

and Marco Frisoni is trying to get viewers to look up 17th century masters for ideas on how to conceptualize and play with light on your models.

If you're not watching Marco Frisoni and Baumgartner Restoration videos I question what are you even doing on youtube these days :v:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

You're probably getting tripped up by the pandemic causing an explosion on people getting into hobbies combined with the high visibility of instagram painters and YouTube tutorials leading to people trying their hand at NMM and sharing it on social media readily because everyone has a 10 megapixel camera in their pocket.

But yes everything old is new again, people are busting out the oil paints and model vehicle techniques and Marco Frisoni is trying to get viewers to look up 17th century masters for ideas on how to conceptualize and play with light on your models.

That's probably a part of it. I also didn't start painting until 2013-ish, so I have no memory of anything mini related before that.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Eej posted:

Speaking of which, shat on another model. Astaroth the Soulforged

e: I'm probably going to go back and do something with a few of the details on the armor, tbh. That's for tomorrow, though.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

That's probably a part of it. I also didn't start painting until 2013-ish, so I have no memory of anything mini related before that.

This July? will be two years for me :baby: