Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Macaluso posted:

The Teen Titans Go movie is so great

It's so loving good. It has my absolute favorite Stan Lee cameo. :allears:

You can tell that everyone working on the movie just had a wild time making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neeksy posted:

It's American Dad for kids. It rules.

I always thought of it like a modern Animaniacs, but you’re also not wrong either.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Waffle! posted:

I agree, and it wasn't until I watched some videos on Smiling Friends that I realized it. There's a lot of shows that use being an rear end in a top hat as a shortcut for character development, and after a while it stops being funny. It's like trying to watch a movie with someone that went to film school, and all they do is point out the director's mistakes. Just tiring to listen to.

yeah. smiling friends works because its hosed up and weird and crosses lines but its never really mean or punching down in the way it does them, its more like weirdly larry david like with lots of weird realistic cringy moments mixed with weird hosed up surrealism.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vandar posted:

Teen Titans Go is great and way better than it has any right to be and I'll keep hyping it up and trying to get people to watch it and oh the De La Soul episode is kind of incredible and wonderful.

https://slate.com/culture/2021/02/de-la-soul-teen-titans-go-streaming-rights-tommy-boy.html

yeah, i keep hearing that and the weird poo poo i have seen reminds me alot of brave and the bold bat mite type stuff.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
Count me in as another person who has seen Velma and thinks its reputation is pretty overblown.

Yes, it has some cringey low-hanging fruit jokes and characters that can sometimes be huge assholes but so did Inside Job and it never got anything close to this kind of scorn. I think the fact that its an adaptation of a long running cartoon franchise that really only had maybe 2 or 3 good versions in its 50-some year run did more to hurt it than anything else.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Vandar posted:

Teen Titans Go is great and way better than it has any right to be and I'll keep hyping it up and trying to get people to watch it and oh the De La Soul episode is kind of incredible and wonderful.

I have only ever watched one Craig Of The Creek episode, and it was the one where Del The Funky Homosapien shows up as his 2001 concept album character Deltron Zero for absolutely no reason. Easily one of the best celebrity guests in animation history

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bob Quixote posted:

Count me in as another person who has seen Velma and thinks its reputation is pretty overblown.

Yes, it has some cringey low-hanging fruit jokes and characters that can sometimes be huge assholes but so did Inside Job and it never got anything close to this kind of scorn. I think the fact that its an adaptation of a long running cartoon franchise that really only had maybe 2 or 3 good versions in its 50-some year run did more to hurt it than anything else.

There's that (and there can be a long debate of how many good versions there are), but also, Inside Job styles itself as a comedy first and does a lot of work to humanize some of the main cast starting in episode 3. It also didn't initially advertise itself as something edgy, meta, and subversive.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
Advertising aside, the show is still primarily a comedy too though. There's an ongoing plot, but it doesn't change the fact that pretty much everything that happens is ridiculous and shown to be that way on purpose and not as the result of badly flubbed dramatic writing.

I'd also argue that they do try and humanize the cast in Velma too - the characters aren't 100% flat, and they do change around a bit from episode to episode. I'm not saying that I like it as much as Inside Job, but I'd argue that its really not that much lower quality-wise in terms of writing and characterization. Velma can be pretty abrasive, but not really any more than characters like Bojack or Rick Sanchez who are also lead characters that are written to be pretty much in the wrong most of the time and the architects of their own problems like she is.

I'd say the flattest main cast member would be Fred, but its not like Glen Dolphman or Magic Myc from Inside Job are any more complex as characters and are equally than if not more repulsive in general.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bob Quixote posted:

I mean honestly nothing could match the hype (or whatever the reverse of hype is) that Velma built after the first couple of reviews and episodes. It was one of those cases of the internet going all in on hating on something because it was just the thing to do at the time.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I had a real hard time starting Bojack. I hated the first six episodes so much it took me years for another try. But I think what ultimately sets the moral tone of those shows is that they have the "pure" character from the get-go to juxtapose how miserable the cynical main makes themselves. It's the same for R&M, and as Morty becomes more dubious in his morality, the show supplements by having the rest of the world increasingly call Rick out. Always Sunny didn't really find its footing with this until after Devito came on and I probably wouldn't have stuck with it if I'd started with the first season. It's fun to watch assholes self-immolate.

I legitimately wasn't sure in the first episode if the narrative was supporting Velma or not. It's becoming increasingly clear it's not, but... I guess I'm not really certain what the show believes in as opposed to everything it's comfortable making GBS threads on. I'm still kinda hung up on Velma being anti-MeToo, what the gently caress was that line.

Anyway, Velma has kinda made it clear it doesn't want me as an audience member, so I'll leave it to speak to whoever is.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Das Boo posted:

I had a real hard time starting Bojack. I hated the first six episodes so much it took me years for another try. But I think what ultimately sets the moral tone of those shows is that they have the "pure" character from the get-go to juxtapose how miserable the cynical main makes themselves. It's the same for R&M, and as Morty becomes more dubious in his morality, the show supplements by having the rest of the world increasingly call Rick out. Always Sunny didn't really find its footing with this until after Devito came on and I probably wouldn't have stuck with it if I'd started with the first season. It's fun to watch assholes self-immolate.

I legitimately wasn't sure in the first episode if the narrative was supporting Velma or not. It's becoming increasingly clear it's not, but... I guess I'm not really certain what the show believes in as opposed to everything it's comfortable making GBS threads on. I'm still kinda hung up on Velma being anti-MeToo, what the gently caress was that line.

Anyway, Velma has kinda made it clear it doesn't want me as an audience member, so I'll leave it to speak to whoever is.

Always Sunny I tried to watch at least a dozen times before finally starting with season 2 after someone said to in 2020. It's very hard to set out to do a show about bad people who get what is coming to them.

I honestly think Rick and Morty fails at this, while Rick is called out for being an rear end in a top hat he's usually right, and people tend to say he's right. Always Sunny the characters are wrong and fail Frank just has enough money to keep the fun going and they normally blame the wrong thing and learn the wrong lesson but they fail. Rick and Morty is even aware of this being a problem with season endings often being Rick finally getting what is coming to him, only for it to be torn apart in the season opener because Rick actually planned to get caught so he could finally take down the authority that had a problem with him this time.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

I'm sorry but if you don't agree that this

is the only good Snarf, you are beyond help.

Do you know that Snarf isnt his name? Its his race, but snarf in TC is named osbert.

Which means thundercats are racist against snarfs

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

This version of Velma's judgemental and conspiracy prone, with a tendency to make snap judgements and stick to them. The joke's meant to be on the character, it's an endorsement of the movement by depicting the kind of reactionary who wouldn't.

e: in context, Velma's just been called out on exactly this behaviour; the line is designed to undermine her defense of herself.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

This version of Velma's judgemental and conspiracy prone, with a tendency to make snap judgements and stick to them. The joke's meant to be on the character, it's an endorsement of the movement by depicting the kind of reactionary who wouldn't.

e: in context, Velma's just been called out on exactly this behaviour; the line is designed to undermine her defense of herself.

I sincerely could be understanding it poorly, but that quip seemed to make more sense for Fred than Velma. She wasn't striking me as the "men need to be protected from FEMALES" sort.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Koala Man is pretty fun.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ups_rail posted:

Do you know that Snarf isnt his name? Its his race, but snarf in TC is named osbert.

Which means thundercats are racist against snarfs

Do you think Snarf is ever haunted by being the last of his kind?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Noam Chomsky posted:

Koala Man is pretty fun.

unfortunately not about the ugly americans character :(

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I Am Fowl posted:

Do you think Snarf is ever haunted by being the last of his kind?

No because later on the show thundera reforms and theres a valley of the snarfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQMu5ZCHvxE

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bro Dad posted:

unfortunately not about the ugly americans character :(

Such an amazing show. Especially literally any scene with Leonard.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ups_rail posted:

No because later on the show thundera reforms and theres a valley of the snarfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQMu5ZCHvxE

I know but like, before that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AFTER ALL THE GUTTING AND MEMORY HOLING. lollll

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1623319554641330178

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So basically they've memory holed a bunch of stuff off HBO Max and they're not even getting Discovery+ 'content?' This is why they make the big bucks.

Edit: Oh, wait, no, they're just keeping Discovery+ as a standalone PLUS adding its stuff to HBO Max. So possibly even weirder a move.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

So basically they've memory holed a bunch of stuff off HBO Max and they're not even getting Discovery+ 'content?' This is why they make the big bucks.

Edit: Oh, wait, no, they're just keeping Discovery+ as a standalone PLUS adding its stuff to HBO Max. So possibly even weirder a move.

Discovery+ is a powerhouse in europe, while hbomax has barely four countries. They would have to keep running it anyway.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

What the gently caress Gary and his Demons got a second season!? And it all came out in October?! Why didn't anyone tell me?!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What the gently caress Gary and his Demons got a second season!? And it all came out in October?! Why didn't anyone tell me?!

When!? Where!? What the gently caress???

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Noam Chomsky posted:

Koala Man is pretty fun.

Cusack has been killing it this year. The new season of Yolo (Silver Destiny) slaps.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Looks like season 2 of GAHD was on Amazon in 2020. Not anymore though :negative:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I liked learning about showbags from koala man. I'm generally a fan of watching these types of comedies to learn about random small bits of culture like that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

readingatwork posted:

When!? Where!? What the gently caress???

I stumbled upon it on one of the illegal sites, but now that I'm trying to find a legit way to watch it I can't.

So, yeah, the entire second season of Gary and His Demons has leaked online (and it's really good) but there doesn't seem to be a legal way to stream it yet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Never expected to ever hear about that show again.

Going to have to hunt it down now. Season 1 was very much my jam.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The newest episode of Harley Quinn is quite good, but also amazingly horny in ways I couldn't imagine animated on American TV.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neeksy posted:

The newest episode of Harley Quinn is quite good, but also amazingly horny in ways I couldn't imagine animated on American TV.

I thought you were joking.......you werent....the giff potential of that episode.

Clay face was talking to his own butt!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

readingatwork posted:

Looks like season 2 of GAHD was on Amazon in 2020. Not anymore though :negative:

This is the one time being in Canada made media more accessible - it's still on Canadian Prime.

Thanks for the recommendation, thread, this has made my time in the kitchen far more amusing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This is the one time being in Canada made media more accessible - it's still on Canadian Prime.

Thanks for the recommendation, thread, this has made my time in the kitchen far more amusing.

Glad to hear someone else out there is enjoying Gary and his Demons. It had a fantastic first season, and a fantastic second season, but sadly it received basically zero advertising and so I doubt a third season is coming (but then I didn't think a second season would ever happen so who even knows anymore).

Speaking of shows receiving a second season: Velma! That's right, the first season of Velma has officially finished airing and a new season is already in production. Now this isn't a sign of how poplar and/or successful it is, but rather a sign of how long it takes animation to be produced so it's more cost effective to order a second season before the first one even airs. Still, as someone who has been tepidly defending Velma throughout its run I have to say I continue to stand by my "It's not as horrible as everyone says it is!" stance and I'm interested in seeing how the next season plays out. Well they do more of the things I liked? Or double down on the stuff I didn't enjoy? Or will the whole thing be shelved as part of a tax write off? Only time will tell!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I wager a second season wasn't ordered, per se, but just part of the contract and just split like so many other shows. So the threshold there is more that it didn't do appallingly abysmal so it at least gets to finish out its order

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So did the dog show up or what?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warbird posted:

or what

I didn't mind the show in the end, but it really needed to be funnier / less on the nose about things.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Warbird posted:

I don't think they ever had permission to use Scooby.

There were throwaway easter egg lines and the mystery van at the end.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Open Source Idiom posted:

or what

I didn't mind the show in the end, but it really needed to be funnier / less on the nose about things.

Yeah the "just state a thing" meta jokes were really a low point in the writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Snuffman posted:

I don't think they ever had permission to use Scooby.

There were throwaway easter egg lines and the mystery van at the end.

ah, the Surf Dracula strategy