Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i was wondering how the BJP alternate reality creaton machine would be spinning the stuff on modi's oligarch buddy getting in trouble and well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
in case you don't know what i'm talkin about

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/chartbook-190-the-adani-crisis-is

The Adani conglomerate, the business group most closely associated with Modi’s India, is under serious attack in the stock market, following a damning report by researchers at Hindenburg the outfit that specializes in short-selling overhyped tech stocks.

[...]

Since 2020, the surge in Adani’s stock price has easily topped all of the madness in America’s equity markets.

[...]

Modi was elected in 2014 on a slate to overcome the corruption of the previous administration. But instead, the entanglement between the Gujurat business clique, headed by Adani and Ambani, and the Modi regime became ever more intense. So intense did it become that it escaped generic categories of corruption or cronyism and put in question the historic model of India’s development. As the FT noted back in 2020.

Some argue the concentration of economic power in family-run conglomerates is a way to fast-track India’s economic development, like the chaebol did for postwar South Korea. But critics say the rapid consolidation of state assets is creating monopolies and stifling competition. “Is India going to move towards the east Asian model or the Russian model? So far the tendency looks towards the latter [more] than the former,” says Rohit Chandra, assistant professor of public policy at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi. “It’s not clear whether India’s concentration of capital will lead to the long-term benefit of Indian consumers.”

[...]

Banaji argues that the rise of groups like Adani signifies the fact that “the business families who formed the mainstay of industrial capitalism in the country for a whole three or four decades after Independence have either disintegrated or have been disintegrating and will soon cease to exist as coherent entities, let alone cohesive ones.”

[...]

Adani clearly belongs amongst what Banaji calls the “New Capitalists” group, who as he notes are “the most fervent supporters of Prime Minister Modi. This is the case among both bigger groups (Ambanis, Adani, Sunil Mittal (Airtel), Anil Agarwal (Vedanta), the Hindujas, and Sudhir Mehta of the Torrent Group) and some smaller and less solid ones (e.g., the media tycoon Subhash Chandra who recently lost control of his flagships, with Zee Entertainment passing to Sony).”

[...]

They are the key figures in the process through which old power blocs within the Indian capitalist class are dismantled and remetabolized. The new Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) of 2016 has created an arena in which business groups with easy access to capital, amongst which the Adani’s figure prominently, can snap up the assets of ruined competitors

[...]

Were Adani to find itself in real trouble, there can be little doubt that the real anchor would be the state. Adani’s rise and the fortunes of Modi and the BJP are closely tied.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hindenburg is a great name for that type of firm

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
loving hell, that earthquake is horrifying.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

mila kunis posted:

i was wondering how the BJP alternate reality creaton machine would be spinning the stuff on modi's oligarch buddy getting in trouble and well,

yeah its boring. They are cribbing off US sorosposting and saying poo poo like Bill Gates is a Globalist!?!

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

estimated 2000 dead

jesus every video of a building collapsing is essentially a michael bay scene but basically a snuff film with no gore

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Oglethorpe posted:

estimated 2000 dead

jesus every video of a building collapsing is essentially a michael bay scene but basically a snuff film with no gore

Happened at 4am too so everyone was at home asleep. :(

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
an absolute disaster god help those poor people :smith:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Oglethorpe posted:

estimated 2000 dead

idk who these guys are but an order of magnitude difference sounds realistic to me. 2000 is sadly an obvious undercount

https://twitter.com/risklayer/status/1622633336878542848

in 1999 around 20,000 died officially but people have said it's more like 40,000-60,000.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
RIP

Is this the deadest earthquake since when?

Also this is mess up
https://twitter.com/UpwardNewsHQ/status/1622576962777620480?s=20

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

stephenthinkpad posted:

RIP

Also this is mess up
https://twitter.com/UpwardNewsHQ/status/1622576962777620480?s=20

gently caress. And all the buildings that are still standing are also hosed up and too dangerous for habitation.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

RIP

probably 2008 Sichuan earthquake? Something like 50k deaths there.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

GlassEye-Boy posted:

probably 2008 Sichuan earthquake? Something like 50k deaths there.

2010 Haiti was estimated to be well over 100k

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Does that include everyone killed by the cholera outbreak started by the UN

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does that include everyone killed by the cholera outbreak started by the UN

doubt it

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

kind of a low body count compared to some of Hillary's other adventures as secretary of state

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

yellowcar posted:

they knew it was a weather balloon and were intent on "proving" it was a spy balloon by blowing it out of the sky. bringing it to the ground intact and then finding out "oh oops it really was a weather balloon" deflates (heh) the whole narrative. blowing it up to smithereens is pretty much a fait accompli as far as the spy balloon narrative pushing goes

it was the option that had minimal consequences and maximum posturing,

who knows what they thought they were gonna gain from this though. probably making sure there's no off-ramp and for hostilities to keep increasing.

yeah I think that’s it. it reminds me of the Russian oil pipeline getting blown up in some sense, contextually very different of course, but in both cases you could argue the goal is to preclude the possibility of de-escalation.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Jesus. I didn't know it was that bad.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the 2004 boxing day tsunami killed more than 200k people

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
still the same joke lmao

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Truga posted:

still the same joke lmao

reddit brain

many such cases!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm a simple man. I see the bear, I like

(what are awards called on reddit again?)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:whitewater: https://twitter.com/usaidsaveslives/status/1622592825530454018?s=46&t=

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm so sorry you have to deal with this right after an earth shattering quake

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Only good thing about the US MIC is that we can airlift almost anything anywhere without too much notice. If Turkey requests help from Brandon, they'll get it and it'll show up fast.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

Only good thing about the US MIC is that we can airlift almost anything anywhere without too much notice. If Turkey requests help from Brandon, they'll get it and it'll show up fast.

Supposedly, the Russians sent at least one jet over.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nknewsorg/status/1622519476091555840?s=20&t=kBPeOjs0Z1s910SJB6nn5g

Is there no end to this airborne aggression?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

don't they send propaganda balloons at each other all the time for like the past 60 years?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Holy poo poo this NK balloon need to get extra points for swagger.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

no flame of juche, 7/10

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Rogue Balloon Regimes

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

What a cutie

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

praying for South Korea in the hopes that they won't lose another plane in the sorti to bring the balloon down

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

found this balloon thing interesting

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Genetrix

quote:

Project Genetrix, also known as WS-119L, was a United States Air Force program designed to launch General Mills manufactured surveillance balloons[1][2] over China, Eastern Europe, and the Soviet Union to take aerial photographs and collect intelligence. The Genetrix balloons reached altitudes of 50,000–100,000 feet (15–30 km), well above any contemporary fighter plane.

In 1955, a number of AN/DMQ-1 gondolas were launched from Lowry Air Force Base in Colorado as a test of the system. One was recovered years later in New Brunswick.[3]

Between 10 January and 6 February 1956, a total of 516 high-altitude vehicles were launched from the five different launch sites Gardermoen, Norway; Evanton, Scotland; Oberpfaffenhofen and Giebelstadt, West Germany; and Incirlik, Turkey;[4][5] 54 were recovered and only 31 provided usable photographs. Numerous balloons were shot down or blown off course, and the flights led to many diplomatic protests from the target countries.[6][7] MiG fighter pilots learned that at sunrise the balloons had dipped into shooting range because the balloons floated to a lower altitude. The lifting gas cooled at night and became denser, reducing lift, so the balloons descended to lower altitudes where the air was denser.[8]

Authorized by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on December 27, 1955, Project 119L was the first espionage use of the balloons that had been tested in previous projects, such as "Moby Dick High". Project 119L was a follow up to Project Skyhook, Project Mogul, and Project Grandson. The balloons were used to monitor the Soviet Union for such things as nuclear tests, and returned photography of more than 1.1 million square miles (more than 2.8 million square km) of the Sino-Soviet bloc.[7] Top-secret high-altitude balloon programs such as Moby Dick, Moby Dick High and 119L may account for many of the UFO sightings starting around the mid-20th century. The U-2 spy plane was later developed to replace the Genetrix balloons.[citation needed]

The Soviets recovered many of these balloons and their temperature-resistant and radiation-hardened film[8][9][10] would later be used in the Luna 3 probe to capture the first images of the far side of the Moon.

:raise:

quote:

General Mills, Inc., is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of branded processed consumer foods sold through retail stores. Founded on the banks of the Mississippi River at Saint Anthony Falls in Minneapolis, the company originally gained fame for being a large flour miller. Today, the company markets many well-known North American brands, including Gold Medal flour, Annie's Homegrown, Lärabar, Cascadian Farm, Betty Crocker, Yoplait, Nature Valley, Totino's, Pillsbury, Old El Paso, Häagen-Dazs, as well as breakfast cereals under the General Mills name, including Cheerios, Chex, Lucky Charms, Trix, Cocoa Puffs and Count Chocula and the other monster cereals.[3]

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Watch them call THAT a spy balloon (I know they will)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mawarannahr posted:

found this balloon thing interesting

General Mills

:raise:

Who was manufacturing the most airtight polyethylene bags in the 1940s? Breakfast cereal companies. So it makes sense, even though it's a big logical jump.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

changing the topic !https://twitter.com/chinadaily/status/1622769618753572865

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
amazing how american hubris got themselves caught hook, line, sinker, reel and rod by something out of sheer accident

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Antonymous posted:

I'm a simple man. I see the bear, I like

(what are awards called on reddit again?)

Empty quotes and golden manbabies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Telluric Whistler posted:

Empty quotes and golden manbabies

china bad = instant 1 billion upvotes

next headline: ccp owned reddit is swamped by pooh bots