Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is SAS. It's important we wait for the tired gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Islanders are entirely reliant on Sorokin being one of the best goalies in the world every single game in order to have a chance at the playoffs. They're not sniffing the top-5 in the conference any time soon. My guess is they're going to do just well enough to keep their draft pick this year, and then next year they'll gift Vancouver a high draft pick. Part of it is I don't think the Islanders are very good, but I also think Florida and Buffalo will clearly be better than them next season. They probably already are even though they're close in the standings. Ottawa, Detroit, and (to a lesser extent) Montreal are getting better. I could easily imagine the Islanders being in the bottom 3 or 4 of the East next season.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

.Spec posted:

The Kraken just got Jaycob Megna for a song (4th round pick) and this feels like a sneaky good business for someone who can log minutes and costs next to nothing.

Agreed. 20ish minutes a night, some offensive contribution, drives play and decent expecteds, has had good actual outcomes this year as well, and league minimum contract. Nice depth pickup that won't kill you.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I spat out my take on the Islanders back a bit ago but I think they have some good pieces and under Trotz they had those runs during the covid shortened seasons and that got everyone including Isles management up their own asses about how good their team really was.
One, they just managed to play Trotz style hockey excellently under him for those short periods of times when it mattered and Lambert is not Trotz. Two, people bought into the "playoff style hockey!" thing and figured the Isles could grind their way to both the playoffs and through the playoffs.

But they lack real depth and there's not enough coming to help them out, and on top of that their real high end forward skill is basically one player.
To me they're a bubble team that needs to figure out how to add good young pieces to carry them forward. Maybe Horvat pushes them into "low seed" category for a bit but there's just pieces missing

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'm excited to see how they follow up these blackjack and Miami Vice all star games with a Toronto themed one. I hope they capture the essence of the city: traffic jams, hot dog carts, and a tower.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

My guess is they're going to do just well enough to keep their draft pick this year, and then next year they'll gift Vancouver a high draft pick.

While I certainly don't disagree with any of your points, it's important to remember at the same time that nothing good is allowed to happen to the Vancouver Canucks so the Islanders will be in the finals either this year or next.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'm excited to see how they follow up these blackjack and Miami Vice all star games with a Toronto themed one. I hope they capture the essence of the city: traffic jams, hot dog carts, and a tower.

Go full on Toronto and sell all the tickets to the ASG to corporate sponsors who won't show up.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Marino is back for NJ tonight

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Oh man Isles/Flyers tonight. Getting straight into. Excited for some bad boring hockey between 2 evenly matched teams.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Spelling Mitsake posted:

- Shoot the puck at a gallery of garbage bins (regular size) and green bins (smaller, for organics). Hit every target and dunk a player into a tank of hungry raccoons.
- Players ride the streetcar to the game, only to have it randomly short turn three times and leave them stranded in front of Kessel's second favourite hot dog stand.
- Take your hardest shot at any designated piece of Toronto's crumbling infrastructure; whoever takes off the largest chunk wins a no-bid maintenance contract.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

- Shoot the puck at a gallery of garbage bins (regular size) and green bins (smaller, for organics). Hit every target and dunk a player into a tank of hungry raccoons.
- Players ride the streetcar to the game, only to have it randomly short turn three times and leave them stranded in front of Kessel's second favourite hot dog stand.
- Take your hardest shot at any designated piece of Toronto's crumbling infrastructure; whoever takes off the largest chunk wins a no-bid maintenance contract.

Province to grant John Tory the power to select the entire all-star game roster. Rice Group CEO Michael Rice a surprise choice as starting RW but Tories insist his strong play warranted his inclusion.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

All star game will be held in the green belt wetlands. Guess we have to pave over them now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

This is SAS. It's important we wait for the tired gimmick.

I’ve been in a depressive episode. gently caress you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No part of that was sarcastic.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Oh man Isles/Flyers tonight. Getting straight into. Excited for some bad boring hockey between 2 evenly matched teams.

Can't wait for Horvat to tally a natural hat trick in the first before his ankles explode in the second and he retires forever

https://mobile.twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1622627794919256064

Mr. Fish fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 6, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

They added Horvat and it really isn't that much more inspiring in confidence. How very Islanders.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

All of the Islanders players just seem like different shade of the same dude.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Mr. Fish posted:

Can't wait for Horvat to tally a natural hat trick in the first before his ankles explode in the second and he retires forever

https://mobile.twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1622627794919256064

At least Lou has stacked the cupboard with prospects ready to replace all of these guys in their mid-30’s

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Agreed. 20ish minutes a night, some offensive contribution, drives play and decent expecteds, has had good actual outcomes this year as well, and league minimum contract. Nice depth pickup that won't kill you.

Yeah agreed. He'll be nice on the PK, probably play a bit better than Fleury, and if he works out they can let Soucy walk at the end of the year and slot him right in.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

ThinkTank posted:

All of the Islanders players just seem like different shade of the same dude.

Lou walking out of the Kinkos with 20 Xeroxes of Josh Bailey

"It's called MAKIN MOVES."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I've not seen any evidence that Casey Cizikas and Cal Clutterbuck are different people.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I've not seen any evidence that Casey Cizikas and Cal Clutterbuck are different people.

It's the moustache, that's about all there is. Clutterbuck has a great one, Cizikas looks like he forgot his shaving kit.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why did the Isles hire Lou? They actually looked like a rebuilding team with promise a few years back.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
It's an old boys league and Lou is the oldest of the boys.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Once you are an islander you're an islander for life. Matt Martin tried to get away one time but they just dragged him right back.

I just looked it up and they have six players with a decade of seniority or more. Several more have been with the team for 8 seasons.

The longest serving Canuck is Brock Boeser who was drafted in 2015.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Would you pass up a chance to hire a guy with 500 years of experience?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Furnaceface posted:

Why did the Isles hire Lou? They actually looked like a rebuilding team with promise a few years back.

I mean, he did replace Garth Snow

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Islanders will be paying Rick DiPietro through the end of the decade. He last played a game for them in 2012.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

kill me now posted:

I mean, he did replace Garth Snow

A bar so low you have to dig down to trip over it, and the Isles almost did hiring him.

Just hire Rotten Cookies as GM. Cheaper, 100 years younger, and susceptible to SAS influence. :v:

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Didn't Garth Snow have one decent off-season where he brought in a few good players?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I enjoy the exercises like could this potato be a better GM than X if they follow three pretty basic rules for drafting/signings and the answer is almost always yes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

I enjoy the exercises like could this potato be a better GM than X if they follow three pretty basic rules for drafting/signings and the answer is almost always yes.

If a head of cabbage can outwit and outlast a prime minister a goon can definitely run a professional hockey team.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
im glad we're sticking with this thread, a new thread every month is stupid

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Furnaceface posted:

If a head of cabbage can outwit and outlast a prime minister a goon can definitely run a professional hockey team.

I would absolutely take the cabbage over Liz Truss as Isles GM

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

One of them accidentally killed a guy and is sorry about it while the other is still trying and only sorry he hasn't succeeded yet.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Koth posted:

Didn't Garth Snow have one decent off-season where he brought in a few good players?

I remember hearing that DiPietro's contract was being pushed by the owner at the time, Charles Wang. The previous GM Neil Smith (?) didn't like the idea and got poo poo-canned. Then Snow came in with the assumption he'd have to do it to get the job. Dunno if that is true though.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

deoju posted:

I remember hearing that DiPietro's contract was being pushed by the owner at the time, Charles Wang. The previous GM Neil Smith (?) didn't like the idea and got poo poo-canned. Then Snow came in with the assumption he'd have to do it to get the job. Dunno if that is true though.

My favourite part of the DiPietro thing is the Islanders giving up on Luongo after like one season and trading him away.

Related:

https://twitter.com/TheFalconer/status/1621679855879479296

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1622661379722297345?s=20

this letter to the fans stuff is getting old.
"hey we know we're dog poo poo but we're trying real hard please keep giving us money and we promise we'll get better"

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
These own.

Fun fact: Until DiPietro being taken #1 overall, Luongo was the highest goalie taken at #4. Previously, Tom Barrasso was taken at #5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

another fun DiPietro fact

he is still on the Isles payroll for the next 6 years despite not having played for them in a literal decade