Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Predictably, there's been another fight video that's been making the rounds:

Summary: Two middle school aged kids are pummeling an elementary school aged girl on a bus. At least one of the kids is facing assault charges. Thr mom of the white girl says they have been bullying the girl for several weeks. This video is perfect chud bait, as it is older black boys beating up younger white girl-nobody appears to stop them and in fact another black kid joins in the pummeling at one point.

The video itself is disturbing, and nobody should excuse an older boy attacking a younger girl unprovoked. But it is interesting that we see this dynamic all over the place and not the other way around. It makes you wonder if there had been nearly as much outrage if a white boy was pummeling a younger black girl. There's also tons of post hoc arguments "why isn't the bus driver doing anything?" "This is an example of how society is falling apart!" etc instead of people genuinely curious about things like context or what everyone involved had to say about the situation.

While I have no proof of this, I have a conspiracy theory of my own that there's some right wing group out there that just scours the news for stories and videos like this. As I've mentioned before, tort reform lobbyists pulled this to get people to vote in favor of tort reform. They'd gather up all the examples of "frivolous" lawsuits to get everyone outraged about them and treat suing a company as an attempt to scam them for an easy payout.

People are sitting on a jury, voting for a local DA, arguing about the penal code, and attending school board meetings. Their judgement is influenced (or simply reinforced) by seeing video after video like this. It takes our voyeuristic tendency to witness drama from the safety of our home and twist it to serve a racist agenda.

I'll have a baconator and large frosty please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know about top-down directed efforts, but 4chan, reddit etc definitely function as aggregators of anything that might make racists horny. Just take a look there twice a month and you’ll get the knockout game’s greatest hits.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FFT posted:

I'm on my phone so ehh but there is definitely a video where the guy (purported to be Hunter and the voice is similar enough) taking the video is trying to get a woman to say he didn't abuse her. The provenance? Who can say.

So, "No, I do not have a source for this", then?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t know about top-down directed efforts, but 4chan, reddit etc definitely function as aggregators of anything that might make racists horny. Just take a look there twice a month and you’ll get the knockout game’s greatest hits.

When I'm in a particularly spicy mood it makes me wish I could just flood them with the opposite, just dozens of videos of some crazy white people wailing away on some black person to show how often it happens that way around. But then I take a moment to come to my senses and realize it is a losing proposition to try to 'dilute' the racial angle of these videos:

Because the same people that show dozens of black on white attacks will simply assume a white person beating a black person is wholly deserved and will be very quick to play devils advocate. It isn't like piling a bunch of stuff on the other side of a scale to balance things out, these people have already made up their mind, the well has been fully poisoned at that point.

I do believe there is a top down effort because it lines up with how astroturfed everything else is, particularly the right wing boogeymen you keep hearing about. More often than not someone is getting rich, famous, or passing legislation through signal boosting otherwise benign occurrences.

Like getting back to the video, this isn't the first time a kid got beat up on the bus. But I can't remember the last it made the news or got spread so rapidly on social media. It reinforces a lot of racist bias in the intended audience - that the children of PoC parents are poorly behaved, violent, and running amok in a leftist society that ignores or possibly encourages such antisocial behavior. It's really convenient that a video that "checks all the boxes" of right wing outrage keeps popping up all the time.

Something that also backs this up is learning about how a lot of negative videos of Antifa/BLM and similar footage of vandalism, looting, or assault by masked protestors were covered by only about six "journalists" in total, that would travel around the country hoping they could see an antifascist throw a molotov at a cop car, punch some grandma in the street or loot a Foot Locker during all the chaos. Untold thousands of hours of protest footage but the Andy Ngos were making drat sure people got to see the proverbial "Money Shot" of what their audience already believed at the time.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Neito posted:

So, "No, I do not have a source for this", then?
Dunno what to tell you. I've seen it but there's too much chaff to find it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

C2C - 2.0 posted:

What exactly is even actionable from the laptop? There’s no evidence of crimes that I’ve seen from the vids that have been released.

Hoo boy. I listen to more right wing radio than any person should, so here's what's "actionable" from what I understand. Keep in mind that very little, perhaps none of this, is actually truthful, but if you assume that everything in this explanation is 100% accurate, it would be evidence of crimes. Crimes that the right wing ignored when Trump and his family did it, to be clear, but still.

The laptop contains emails of Hunter Biden's from him and his business partners. In one of his emails, Hunter tells one of his business partners to remember to set aside 10% of the money they're being paid for "the big guy." "The big guy" is clearly Joe Biden. This means that when Joe said that he was not profiting off of his position as Vice President, he was clearly lying, as he was getting paid from his son's business dealings that he only got because he was part of the Biden family. Because in an interview on some news program, Hunter was asked why he got the job at Burisma, since he didn't speak Ukrainian, wasn't knowledgeable about oil and gas production, and had no experience running a company. This, combined with the fact that Hunter in other emails complained about having to give Joe money for rent as well as money to raise some family member of Joe's (I forget which one specifically, this particular part of the conspiracy theory hasn't been mentioned in a while) proves definitively that Joe was profiting off of his position as Vice President through his son's business deals. This also means that Joe lied when he said he was unaware of Hunter's business dealings, as not only are there photographs of Joe meeting with Hunter and his business partners, but Joe had to have known that Hunter was involved in business dealings because of charging Hunter rent.

So there you have it. The right wing claims for why the laptop is important, and should be grounds for impeachment for Joe Biden. Of course, keep in mind that the people saying this is the greatest scandal in American history (bigger than Watergate!) have absolutely zero problem with Don Jr. and Eric (as well as Don himself) openly and blatantly profiting off Trump's position in office.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wasn’t Biden out of office when all of this would have happened

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes. A private citizen.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Murgos posted:

Yes. A private citizen.

Also, last I checked the Burisma stuff didn't even have a reply from Hunter Biden. Just some random email some disinfo operative put onto the hard drive to try and make it all look shady. Non-partisan forensic looks into it have ascertained that it could have come from anywhere as there's no meta-data attached and it was clearly copied and pasted onto the hard drive* and that it's not proof of anything other than some corporate rep wanted to eat lunch with Hunter Biden and (if we go off of data on the pre-revamp of the revamp of the revamp etc etc of why this is totally bad and not a really lovely psy-op) and that Hunter Biden never even replied as far as anyone could tell.

It's telling that it's taken this many false starts that have been debunked for them to even forge a basic connection this to Joe Biden. Hell, one of the earliest so called "gotchas" was literally just Joe Biden telling his son he loves him and he knows he can turn his life around or something to that effect. And this was supposed to be incriminating because ???? (the real reason is probably that all the people in the first year or so of attempting to forge a conspiracy were sociopaths who don't get why human affection for family is a good thing). Obviously that was dropped like so many other routes of attack that all failed due to the people claiming they caught one of the Biden's being debunked or being wildly out of sync with even the barest dregs of human decency.

* As there's no evidence of an actual complete email log. Just incoming emails that seem to have been copied onto the hard drive (with no associated metadata or anything else attached) with the intent to make Hunter look bad or act as building blocks to construct a hare-brained conspiracy for conspiracy theorists and Republicans.

Which again, it must be reiterated, makes no sense, since why the gently caress would only a selection of incoming emails designed to make Hunter Biden look bad be on the drive and not actual full email records or even just a proper log of all the emails from the incoming box if this was a laptop used by Hunter Biden and just afsljdsalkj the whole loving thing just makes no sense as anything other than a botched attempt to slander President Biden through his son that they're going to ride until the next election to try and make it into a low info voter's Hillary's emails sort of deal.

It's like they know they don't even need to try to get their dumbass base of supremacists and facebook conspiracy theorists about the liberals on the hook for whatever crazy horseshit.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 5, 2023

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not all of it, no. Hunter joined the board of Burisma in 2014. This is also a vital part of the conspiracy theory I forgot to mention. There's that video of Joe talking about how he wasn't going to give Ukraine a billion dollars of US aid unless they fired the prosecutor who was investigating Burisma before he left. It has been proven in the past that the demand was made because the prosecutor wasn't doing his job and properly investigating, but the right wing claim is that Joe wanted them to fire the prosecutor because he was worried the prosecutor would find all the evidence of Joe being involved in Hunter's business dealings. If the right wing claim was true, Joe using his position as VP to deny aid to Ukraine unless they stopped investigating his son would be pretty corrupt...but again, if it was true. And of course, they had absolutely no problems and actively defend Trump using his position as President to deny aid to Ukraine unless they gave him information to help him win the election.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Panfilo posted:

While I have no proof of this, I have a conspiracy theory of my own that there's some right wing group out there that just scours the news for stories and videos like this. As I've mentioned before, tort reform lobbyists pulled this to get people to vote in favor of tort reform. They'd gather up all the examples of "frivolous" lawsuits to get everyone outraged about them and treat suing a company as an attempt to scam them for an easy payout.

This isn't a conspiracy theory. Breitbart and other right wing sites have "Black Crime" verticals that run only this stuff. They do it and feel righteous in doing it. It predates the tort reform example you're comparing it to.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not all of it, no. Hunter joined the board of Burisma in 2014.

This isn’t the time from those emails about cutting in the “big guy”

quote:

This is also a vital part of the conspiracy theory I forgot to mention. There's that video of Joe talking about how he wasn't going to give Ukraine a billion dollars of US aid unless they fired the prosecutor who was investigating Burisma before he left. It has been proven in the past that the demand was made because the prosecutor wasn't doing his job and properly investigating, but the right wing claim is that Joe wanted them to fire the prosecutor because he was worried the prosecutor would find all the evidence of Joe being involved in Hunter's business dealings. If the right wing claim was true, Joe using his position as VP to deny aid to Ukraine unless they stopped investigating his son would be pretty corrupt...but again, if it was true. And of course, they had absolutely no problems and actively defend Trump using his position as President to deny aid to Ukraine unless they gave him information to help him win the election.
That the whole step in to help move forward the prosecution of Burisma event was extremely public, requested by the UK and strongly endorsed by a majority republican recommendation from congress.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I don't think most people have watched a lot of videos of children being beaten, so I would imagine the reason these videos skew racist is because they are primarily posted, shared, and consumed by racists

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ErIog posted:

This isn't a conspiracy theory. Breitbart and other right wing sites have "Black Crime" verticals that run only this stuff. They do it and feel righteous in doing it. It predates the tort reform example you're comparing it to.
That's what I figured. Though in this particular case it is videos, which have the advantage of being easier to consume and having even less context. It's also one thing to read about violent crime or behavior and actually see video footage of it, so these clips are more emotionally charged.

Dubar posted:

I don't think most people have watched a lot of videos of children being beaten, so I would imagine the reason these videos skew racist is because they are primarily posted, shared, and consumed by racists
I think you underestimate the reach of social media. Plenty of people that saw Rodney King getting beaten and George Floyd get murdered didn't watch it to reinforce their racial biases. Lots of people will see footage in discussions about school bullying, accountability and support of school staff "why didn't the bus driver stop them/we should have policies to prevent this from happening". Plenty of people were the victims of violence in school as well, which will draw attention to these videos. There's already a known trend about how people of color are disproportionately shown in the media acting violently/hysterical, which also predates the internet- the populace has a voyeuristic streak and a tendency to gawk at crazy things on video.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Caught a little bit of Ben Ferguson on the way home tonight. Apparently the Hunter Biden laptop story has changed a bit in an attempt to better incriminate Joe.

So apparently there's an email from the laptop that was conveniently just revealed recently, you know, after the classified documents stuff came out. The email is supposedly from Hunter, talking to an American aluminum company and offering them information on Russian oligarchs for 55k. He offers detailed analysis of these oligarchs and their contacts as well as their networks, stuff that can't be found easily on Google, which is why an aluminum company might pay 55k for this information. And of course this email seems oddly very well written, for man who's addicted to crack. And of course, we do know Hunter was staying in Joe Biden's homes...which had classified material in them. And the email is dated from earlier than 2014, when Biden was VP.

So yeah, the claim is that Joe purposely let Hunter have access to classified material to sell to companies which Hunter then paid to him, proving that the Biden syndicate is the most corrupt family in the history of US politics.

As a side note, I'm really tired of the phrases "Biden syndicate/Biden regime."

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Hunter's laptop is a multiverse singularity. Files meticulously documenting crimes of all Joe and Hunter Bidens in all their incarnations across the infinite universes can be accessed through it. It's thus entirely reasonable that new incriminating stories about Hunter and/or Joe emerge from it every single day, despite the laptop being in Republican hands for years. They are, after all, searching through literally infinite records.

EDIT: I thought they usually went with 'Biden Crime Family'?

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 6, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Twelve by Pies posted:

And of course this email seems oddly very well written, for man who's addicted to crack.
Not to detract from your larger point, but crack is just "cocaine, but all at once".

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Which is just a rehash of the more alliterative Clinton Crime Family.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nice assonance in Biden and crime tho

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Hollandia posted:

Which is just a rehash of the more alliterative Clinton Crime Family.

Dropping the ball. Clinton Crime Clan. Clinton Crime Cartel. Clinton Crime Clique.
Go full alliteration! Plus you can compare them more to the KKK - they're the CCC!

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

So yeah, the claim is that Joe purposely let Hunter have access to classified material to sell to companies which Hunter then paid to him, proving that the Biden syndicate is the most corrupt family in the history of US politics.

So, based on "every accusation a confession," this tells me trump sold the classified info he stole.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It depends on the host and context. When they're talking about crimes, it's Biden syndicate or Biden crime syndicate. When they're talking about laws and government, it's Biden regime. Hannity seems to be the biggest user of syndicate of all the hosts I hear, but all of them definitely use regime when talking about anything related to government doing things.

FFT posted:

Not to detract from your larger point, but crack is just "cocaine, but all at once".

Look man I don't write the right wing talking points, I'm just saying what they say.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Meatball posted:

So, based on "every accusation a confession," this tells me trump sold the classified info he stole.

I thought we'd all pretty much just assumed this already.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Well, I expected it and RWM is delivering because man oh man was the most repeated word so far this week ever "balloon"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It really is incredible how literally every media outlet, even the supposed "liberal" ones like CNN (I know it has a new owner), the NYT and Washington Post are calling it a "spy balloon."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

It really is incredible how literally every media outlet, even the supposed "liberal" ones like CNN (I know it has a new owner), the NYT and Washington Post are calling it a "spy balloon."
They pretty much stopped ever questioning whatever the military says years ago

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1622453614009630722?t=RKIwX8XfU58uyM1nW-Fhtw&s=19

So because the ones that allegedly flew by during the Trump administration didn't have wall to wall coverage they must be making it up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1622453614009630722?t=RKIwX8XfU58uyM1nW-Fhtw&s=19

So because the ones that allegedly flew by during the Trump administration didn't have wall to wall coverage they must be making it up.
The funniest thing to me is this person throwing Fox in with all of those other things including the loving Disney Channel

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Panfilo posted:

I thought they didn't trust the Mainstream Media?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Chinese statements that it was a meteorological balloon should be taken with the exact same level of seriousness as the US State Department press release in 1960 that made the same claim about the U2 that was shot down over Russia.

Hopefully the analysis of the recovered debris is published.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It doesn't matter what the analysis says because if it's just a weather balloon the military is not going to admit that, they'll make up some poo poo and say "See this proves it was a spy balloon!"

Because you definitely want your spy method to be completely and utterly useless if the breeze changes direction, that's just good espionage.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

It doesn't matter what the analysis says because if it's just a weather balloon the military is not going to admit that, they'll make up some poo poo and say "See this proves it was a spy balloon!"

Because you definitely want your spy method to be completely and utterly useless if the breeze changes direction, that's just good espionage.

The US admitted the U2 flights were for surveillance when confronted with evidence. Having a pilot helped.

In case this changes things for you: balloons can be steered.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
To be clear: are you suggesting it /was/ a spy balloon?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I myself doubt it was launched by the chinese government. I believe it originated from china because 1)the us govt claims to have tracked it from there and 2)the chinese govt admits it originated there.

I dont expect any unusual instruments and zero weapoms to be found in the wreckage. Im skeptical that its even any 'more advanced' than any of the other science missions globally that gently caress with balloons.

I think the remains of the infamously co-ordinated 2016 sockpuppet armies used this common occurrance to drive mistrust and undermine us/china relations, exoloiting and reinforcing the (now dwindling, fractured) qanon crowd, and trolling the biden administration to blow up a chinese vessel legally doing what weather balloons all over the world do and cancelling a state visit.

E: also, earlier in this thread credible doubt was raised about whether a modern military even can shoot down a balloon.

Now we know just a tad bit more about us military capabilities, and they spent a million dollars to show us.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 7, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Or rather, that the Chinese don't have keyhole-equivilant satellites and need high-altitude balloons to do their collection?

E: sorry I meant to post this before you responded

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We cannot afford a balloon gap!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VitalSigns posted:

We cannot afford a balloon gap!

Count Zeppelin was right!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
It seems perfectly credible to me that nation-states may employ balloons for certain niche purposes, but by and large the appeal of balloons is the relative affordability of them. Ive only done a few minutes googling, but i think we could assemble parts, build, and launch a balloon that stands a good chance of circumnavigating the globe for tens of thousads of dollars.

Id wager the flight path is likely to cross over parts of china and parts of the continental united states, if it survives to circumnavigate, regardless of where it launched - but this is uninformed speculative guesswork. And it might only have an x% chance of success.

With the low low cost, i'd expect academic institutions and public safety departments operate way, way more balloons than militaries and spy agencies.

Its cheaper than a kit helocopter.

Why would anyone start with the assumption it was the chinese /government/ that launched it? Is every balloon launched in china launched directly by the communist party?

Also, there were rumours that this one was somehow miraculously "steerable", and people argued that it went "off course" (as though balloons follow a course)... and that reinforced the "spy" take.

Like, an actual journalist needs to be researching how many balloons are in the air and how far on average they drift and so on. It seems to me like a total nothingburger built on our collective ignorance about methods of atmospheric research and use cases for ballooning

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

To be clear: are you suggesting it /was/ a spy balloon?

Nope, I'm suggesting that it is a plausible explanation.

I'm also suggesting the people who are absolutely confident that it wasn't spying based on things like balloons are "utterly useless if the breeze changes direction" are overly credulous.

Like I said, I hope the results of the analysis are released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm no expert but it seems to me like the primary advantage a balloon would have over a satellite as a spying tool would be to gauge both how long it takes your enemy to notice their airspace has been violated, and how high an altitude their jets are able to engage a target. In which case "wait more or less as long as possible before engaging, if engaging at all" is absolutely the correct move because that's the only information that silly thing can collect that isn't already being collected by satellites.

So naturally the Republicans demanded it be engaged and shot down ASAP.