Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or future-proofing.

They were anticipating the weight of the Gauss Rifle dropping as the technology was refined and wanted to make sure the SLDF could field refit to one if that ever happened.

It's not the worst gently caress-up on an official record sheet. I think that prize still goes to the Von Luckner's rear-mounted LRMs.

nah it's the Puma's side-firing LRM's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Campaign is off to a good start. Player realized getting 1500 WP isn't so good when you have to blow all of it on repairs, and the archer can't literally stand still in the open without even partial cover and dump LRMs at people with no consequences. Still, he got a total victory, and we managed to wrap our game in 2.5 hours. It's really nice playing against someone who knows the rules.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I forgot about that.

The best thing about the Puma is: the original art doesn't have LRMs on it at all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rorahusky posted:

I mean, they weren't wrong, I guess? Just that said reduction in size and weight only occurred after the Star League vomited blood all over and died.

The 12-ton GR was almost done when the League fell. Clan weapons are all Star League homework that they put their names on.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

kingcom posted:

Theres a genuine swarm of weird 3049 era mechs that have CASE shoved into xl mechs or mechs with no real help from it that I love. I assume they are all supposed to be battlefield refits or engineers trying to panic fit as much lostech as they can into line mech units now that it's plentiful again.

I figure CASE in xl torsos is for lore/campaign reasons. It will still be out of the current fight, but the pilot has a chance of survival and there's a possibility of salvaging the mech.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

The 12-ton GR was almost done when the League fell. Clan weapons are all Star League homework that they put their names on.
Also the Marauder II is a 3012 Wolf's Dragoons design anyway.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Floppychop posted:

I figure CASE in xl torsos is for lore/campaign reasons. It will still be out of the current fight, but the pilot has a chance of survival and there's a possibility of salvaging the mech.

The CASE on the Marauder II is protecting absolutely nothing, it has a standard engine.

CASE in torsos with XLs are absolutely for salvage/pilot survival, though you could reasonably call it a downside since generally if you're losing 'Mechs to ammo explosions your enemy might well be the one salvaging them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ever since she salvaged that firestarter she's been running it up to stuff and trying to force heat nonsense. I tried to make the tactic backfire by fielding a Hunchback, but alas the dice failed me on gimmie AC20 rolls.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 6, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

kingcom posted:

Theres a genuine swarm of weird 3049 era mechs that have CASE shoved into xl mechs or mechs with no real help from it that I love. I assume they are all supposed to be battlefield refits or engineers trying to panic fit as much lostech as they can into line mech units now that it's plentiful again.

There's a thin slice of timeline there right after Clan Invasion Panic and during the Mass Inner Sphere Refittening that I think is rife for contractor fraud and snake oil lostech stories.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GD_American posted:

There's a thin slice of timeline there right after Clan Invasion Panic and during the Mass Inner Sphere Refittening that I think is rife for contractor fraud and snake oil lostech stories.

Pentagon Wars but it's about the development and acquisition story of the Fireball.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

GD_American posted:

Are there any book or stories about that the period of the clan invasion panic? Where it was all very unclear who these guys were and what they actually wanted? The impression I got was it was all over in one book or something.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CASE in the side torso with an IS XL isn't a bad in-universe choice. It's bad if you're optimizing for a standard one-off game because it doesn't prevent a tactical loss, but on a strategic level it saves the hugely expensive engine (replacing a side torso and repairing 3 engine crits is not a super challenging repair) and the mech, or at least anything you want to salvage from it, which would have otherwise gone up (CT getting cored by ammo explosions or area effect weapons leaves nothing behind.) This can be a worthwhile choice for a campaign game and not a bad choice for someone in-universe to insist on when purchasing new hardware or upgrade packages.

The one thing that is a little sketchy are the one or two designs with IS CASE in the CT. That stops the mech from going up entirely, but you still can never bring that mech back because the CT is its irreplaceable "soul" and you lose the engine. Definitely a lot worse than putting it in the sides.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 6, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Comstar posted:

Are there any book or stories about that the period of the clan invasion panic? Where it was all very unclear who these guys were and what they actually wanted? The impression I got was it was all over in one book or something.

a whole rear end cartoon actually

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

a whole rear end cartoon actually

You dare refuse my defamation lawsuit?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Owlbear Camus posted:

You dare refuse my defamation lawsuit?

I challenge you to a trial of--wait, this is already a trial. poo poo.

*gets tackled by the bailiff*

Nicolai Malthus is canonically one of the few people Clan Neural Implants didn't kill by 35. I like to joke that he was already so hyper-aggressive the implants burned out his aggression centers and he kinda chilled out in his old age.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BattleMaster posted:

The one thing that is a little sketchy are the one or two designs with IS CASE in the CT. That stops the mech from going up entirely, but you still can never bring that mech back because the CT is its irreplaceable "soul" and you lose the engine. Definitely a lot worse than putting it in the sides.
I was idly toying with the Blackjack, as mentioned, and trying to fit RAC2s into it. Turns out it's pretty easy, so I went on autopilot mode and left the ammo in the same location and threw a CASE on.

Yeah... :negative:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I challenge you to a trial of--wait, this is already a trial. poo poo.

*gets tackled by the bailiff*

This little blurb in whatever Legendary Pilots book it was in is one of my favorites. The fact it kept dumping on him non-stop was perfection. “The Malthus depicted in the holovid would’ve been immediately recognizable to anyone who ever knew him and wasn’t really much of an exaggeration” never fails to make me giggle.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I want to know what gang he joined while he was in prison.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"I am now a bondsman of the Aryan Brotherhood and hope to earn my place as a true warrior. I have issued a BatChall to MS13 for the use of the free weights."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Recently, thanks to this thread, I decided to buy the Beginner's Box and tried to find out where the gently caress I left my old GW-colors 5+ years ago, when I just one day stopped doing anything related to models.

Turns out I still have some colors, but they're basically the consistence of granite now. Can I save them somehow, maybe by mixing some water in? Or can I throw my old colors into the trash now?

Also, are there primers that can be used like normal colors, e.g. not in spray cans? Looking at my tiny apartment and my very active young cat, I decided using anything in spray cans to be a Bad Idea. Normal colors and poo poo I can at least emergency cover with some reserve sheets of paper until she calms down.

Not putting the brush down on the miniature also seems widely more possible to my slow reflexes then magically sucking a cloud of toxic primer back into the can if she makes a rather ill-timed jump

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah you really don't want to use spray cans indoors. It's not just the risk of overspray, it's more that the fumes are real fuckin bad and they linger. The Miniatures Painting thread probs has a ton of brush on primer opinions that I ignore bc I always prime with an airbrush.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Libluini posted:

Turns out I still have some colors, but they're basically the consistence of granite now. Can I save them somehow, maybe by mixing some water in? Or can I throw my old colors into the trash now?

Once they harden, they’re trash. I use them out of sheer inertia at this point, if my whole paint collection disappeared I’d be asking the painting thread what’s a better option.

e: painting thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660745&perpage=40&noseen=1

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Libluini posted:

If you can grind them up fine enough they'll probably be somewhat rescuable but the effort really isn't worth it if they've dried beyond being gummy.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ever since I got back into minis I’ve been using the brush-on primer by Army Painter since it came in the hobby kit they sell. Great for mechs since you don’t have hundreds of minis to prime.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

a cyborg mug posted:

Ever since I got back into minis I’ve been using the brush-on primer by Army Painter since it came in the hobby kit they sell. Great for mechs since you don’t have hundreds of minis to prime.

look at this idiot who's never laid out 1500 mapsheets and spend a month of 12 hour shifts running a battalion-on-battalion game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips and the link, I'll look into that. Welp, I guess hoarding my old colors was pointless after all, ha ha :v:

At least most of them were stuff like ugly browns and greens, as I was painting Skaven back in the day. Not exactly the paint scheme I had in mind for battlemechs!

I'll also probably take one of the new minis arriving soon to train painting a bit. My Skaven didn't even look that great and I've nearly forgotten everything about painting by now. (I'm planning to keep abusing mechs I don't like from this and future mech packs for painting experiments, they'll end up as different pirate OpFors and poo poo.)

Libluini fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 6, 2023

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Owlbear Camus posted:

look at this idiot who's never laid out 1500 mapsheets and spend a month of 12 hour shifts running a battalion-on-battalion game.

that's not even 75 mechs.

Amateur.

Anyway, here's my dioarama of the entire Battle of Luthien....

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 6, 2023

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Libluini posted:

Thanks for the tips and the link, I'll look into that. Welp, I guess hoarding my old colors was pointless after all, ha ha :v:

At least most of them were stuff like ugly browns and greens, as I was painting Skaven back in the day. Not exactly the paint scheme I had in mind for battlemechs!

I'll also probably take one of the new minis arriving soon to train painting a bit. My Skaven didn't even look that great and I've nearly forgotten everything about painting by now. (I'm planning to keep abusing mechs I don't like from this and future mech packs for painting experiments, they'll end up as different pirate OpFors and poo poo.)

It’s like riding a bike, all of my (meager) skills came back to me pretty quickly after like 15 years of not painting anything :)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Speaking of:

Free app (store says there's IAP but nothing that keeps it from being functional and no nagging that I've seen): Army Painter Pro.

Very easy to use: You configure it with which paint brands/sets you own, import an image, tap a spot, and it finds you the closest color matches from your collection.

I don't have a stake or get a kickback, honestly I stumbled on it randomly in the app store. But it's really, really handy for streamlining the process of going from camospecs to the table.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Owlbear Camus posted:

If you do movement by Lance you'll get it done in an evening :shrug:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

If you do movement by Lance you'll get it done in an evening :shrug:

or maybe try usong popular gaming assistamt Flechs Sheets. anyone itt heard of this?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I use it, but I print out record sheets off it. I don't have a tablet and it's way too small to use on a phone.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

or maybe try usong popular gaming assistamt Flechs Sheets. anyone itt heard of this?
I dislike it on principle because one of the shitlords who used to play in Dublin would turn up with four of the same mech and use to hide the fact that he simply wasn't marking damage on his mechs by claiming "you hit the other one last turn".

This is a very specific problem but I am absolutely fine with dying on that hill.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My head-canon is that 75% of the mech designs are a young fan mailing in their "totally awesome" custom build, to which someone at FASA/Catalyst says "yeah I guess that got built"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

For one,

SkyeAuroline posted:

Even more "refusing to paint Warhammer by instead burning through my Battletech backlog".

Happy with how the eyes came out, another image for a slightly clearer view (this is from earlier in the wip process):

For two: Fortress Miniatures is running a sale on some of the Death Ray Designs vehicles and infantry, and I'm vaguely considering some combined arms in the future. Any recommendations on good entry points for armor? It looks like the ones I can actually recognize and am interested in are are Goblins + infantry, Bulldogs, Manticore(s), Schrek(s), or Pattons. I've heard good things about all five; a bit concerned about the Goblin option for bringing in infantry rules at the same time (and being the most expensive option, probably, as a result) but nothing I don't think I can deal with.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Accept that the Goblin can only transport a single squad and you normally want to deploy platoons and write off that ton of cargo bay as wasted. Or just run the "Sealed" variant and have fun with a Snubbie.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirPhoebos posted:

My head-canon is that 75% of the mech designs are a young fan mailing in their "totally awesome" custom build, to which someone at FASA/Catalyst says "yeah I guess that got built"

They tried to get over "WarBear" as a character and everyone looks at everything he did that way. Thankfully now he's dead.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Comstar posted:

Books no. Which I've complained about before; Stackpole spent a few pages on ALIENS? before quickly dispensing with it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Want to ask the brain trust of lore-heads here before I commence to painting:

I've decided a good bulk of my Mech's I'm going to do up as an overstrength SLDF company vs its contemporary Taurian Concordat for something a little different than the usual.

Is anything grossly anachronistic in either line up? I already swapped an Annihilator out of the SLDF guys realizing I was way wrong on its vintage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Hatchetman doesn't show up until 3023 but other than that I think it looks fine. I think the SLDF were still fielding homogenous companies at the start of the Taurian war if that makes any difference to you, but this could easily be a unit that's already pretty worn down by the fighting and making do with salvage from whatever is around.