Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

yeah, comparing Hogwarts to Forspoken is absurd as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah Hogwarts has decent voice work lol

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

yep

it's only february and already we've got one of the tentpole releases of the year out. and Ishin later this month, and Atomic Heart. and next month is Wo Long, the PC port of Last of Us, Jedi Survivor, and the RE 4 Remake

there's no lull anymore so there's nothing for people to rest on unless it's something once-in-a-generation like Elden Ring or BOTW

Jedi Survivor got delayed to late April :smith:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Jedi Survivor got delayed to late April :smith:
i mean honestly that's fine, it goes into a less crowded month since Redfall is May and there's no way Starfield comes out in the first half of this year

e: i dont even know where to begin to unpack "HL will be talked about as much as Elden Ring". ER generated evergreen discussion based on its world design, its beautiful vistas, its incredible and unforgettable setpieces and fights. HL is just if you took an Ubisoft game and put a sorting hat on it. i mean it could generate evergreen discussion, in the culture war. but if that happens here i will pull off all of my limbs and eat them

i'm not even trying to poo poo on the game right now, it's just that TO ME, the IP attached is the only thing that makes it distinct from any other league-average AAA game like an Assassins Creed Valhalla or an Outriders or a Callisto Protocol. and the IP is what is carrying the discussion primarily because nerds have been waiting for a decent HP game. do I think HP fans will talk about it forever? probably. do i think the mainstream will talk about the game forever, when there's a new AAA game coming out every month or even more frequently than that? no

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 7, 2023

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Sequel to Forspoken where Chandler goes through the portal and the final boss is The Nanny.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Anno posted:

Wizard game is going to be a near-Elden Ring level of event, I don't think it's going away so easily.

It had over 400k people watching on twitch. It's massive.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Honestly I don't even understand why people care so much about an inferior Pottergame knock-off. Does it even have beans?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

It had over 400k people watching on twitch. It's massive.

And Avatar is the highest-grossing movie of all time. The fact that it's popular now means nothing in the long term.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

lunar detritus posted:

And Avatar is the highest-grossing movie of all time. The fact that it's popular now means nothing in the long term.

That is a terrible example because despite all the years of twitter mockery and naysaying, Avatar 2 was also huge. Jimmy C don't miss.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lunar detritus posted:

:dafuq:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lunar detritus posted:

I mean, maybe a century from now, but you can bet it will remain a relevant franchise in the west for the next few decades if the third film isn't Matrix 3 bad. And I am saying that as someone who hasn't bothered to watch the second film because I found the first one boring. I am not the target audience, but James Cameron is somehow making do with like a billion people instead.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 7, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

lunar detritus posted:

yeah this is definitely a thing everyone was saying before avatar 2 came out

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

movies are not a great comparison anyway since they're a passive experience, and what generates discussion for a game long after its initial release, is all of its active elements. people looking for help/strats, reminiscing about an amazing fight, complaining about a mechanical/design issue they don't like, etc

i think the only time i've seen passive (like story) elements of a game generate discussion long after the fact, is say, a big twist, or the game's ending. i know people talk about Joel's decision to rescue Ellie in the Last of Us Pt 1, a LOT. the bae vs bay ending of Life is Strange. the Would You Kindly twist of Bioshock, and the much worse twist of Infinite. Spec Ops' twists and loading screen messages. Ted Faro in Horizon, who is not even part of the actual main plot but the backstory. just stuff like that

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 7, 2023

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm just waiting until the first Beautiful Faces mod for Hogwarts Legacy is out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Instead of watching this trainwreck of a bad game I've been playing noted very good game Waves of Steel

my bote gonna flex on you

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

dis astranagant posted:

Instead of watching this trainwreck of a bad game I've been playing noted very good game Waves of Steel

my bote gonna flex on you

drat this screenshot does not do it justice, this game looks kinda awesome

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

explosivo posted:

the steam page description's 1st sentence posted:

If you like warships but wish they could kickflip
well it has my attention now

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dark and Darker is such a bad game everyone should play it at least once. It's so terrible, it will make all other games seem better. As a fun forum game, we can post how many times we died before figuring out how to attack. I only died twice before learning how to cast spells as a wizard.

explosivo posted:

Did they update Dark and Darkest for this demo since the beta? I thought it seemed neat in beta but obviously real early days and still felt jank as hell. I know it's still going to be jank as hell but have there been any updates or is it basically the same game as the beta? Going to try my damnedest to drag a friend or two into it while the demo is available regardless.

Steam comments say yes.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Played the demo for The Tartarus Key, a PS1 flavored escape room puzzle/horror/thriller game. Really short demo but I enjoyed the visuals and the dialogue. Really looking forward to it. Sucks that the release date is TBA.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

explosivo posted:

This better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMXOiwvro5Q

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

holy aural torture batman

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

You bitch you unleashed the souls of the damned with that fucknasty foghorn

I'll take two please, on the grounds I leave this here:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SavageMessiah posted:

Played the demo for The Tartarus Key, a PS1 flavored escape room puzzle/horror/thriller game. Really short demo but I enjoyed the visuals and the dialogue. Really looking forward to it. Sucks that the release date is TBA.
yea it's cool but I hope there's some update on the game's progress soon

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Waves of Steel is a goon-made game! TooMuchAbstraction posted in the glitch thread about a bunch of weird little bugs he came across while making the game. The camouflage one is pretty great.

I'm still hoping happy that "your ships can wear hats" makes made it into the game at some point.

edit: the camouflage bug: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3493510&pagenumber=240&perpage=40#post505799194

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 7, 2023

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mordja posted:

That is a terrible example because despite all the years of twitter mockery and naysaying, Avatar 2 was also huge. Jimmy C don't miss.

Yeah, but no one talks about it. That's what I meant. People talk about Elder Ring because it's an incredibly good game. Sure, HL may, unfortunately, be a success now but I really doubt people will be talking about it in 6 months. Maybe in GOTY season it'll make a reappearance in the media circuit but it'll all be centered on the controversy rather than the game itself.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 7, 2023

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

beats for junkies posted:

Waves of Steel is a goon-made game! TooMuchAbstraction posted in the glitch thread about a bunch of weird little bugs he came across while making the game. The camouflage one is pretty great.

I'm still hoping "your ships can wear hats" makes it into the game at some point.

Hats are in. You can see a cat ear headband in the middle of my flexamaran.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

dis astranagant posted:

Hats are in. You can see a cat ear headband in the middle of my flexamaran.

That rules, the game deserves to do well because the dev took stupid suggestions from the glitch thread and put them in his game.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

Awards season this year is going to be wild unless TGA and the like just decide to freeze it out.

Why would they? Overwatch 2 and Call of Duty got nominations and those games had controversies around the actual development studio.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Dungeon Drafters demo on steam Next Fest is pretty fun, the pixel art is good as hell. Feels like a ton of work went into the game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like Dungeon Drafters but it feels so slow, even with the game speed cranked up to 175%. Hopefully for full release they make it all much snappier and cut down on time spent watching animations - not specifically the game speed but things like transitioning between enemy turns and player turns should be instant goddamnit :argh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dont have time for this nerd poo poo for babies when we're about to get wild hearts, wo long fallen dynasty, and the probable steam release of Final Fantasy: Origin: Stranger of Paradise: Jack Chaosman's Chaos Quest (NOT nerd poo poo for babies)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Stoneshard these days? I remember in 2020 people said it was conceptually neat but unfinished as gently caress, and the dev guessed it'd be in EA for two years... but fast forward to 2023 and most of the reviews I'm finding say "Neat idea, very little meaningful improvement over 3 years". So is it actually worth considering, or is it one of those permanent tech demo/EA casualty guys?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Between the people who will buy hogwarts because they aren't terminally online and know nothing about jk Rowling but have loved Harry Potter their whole lives and been waiting for this game forever

And the people who are gonna buy it to own the libs

And the people who are gonna buy it even though they said they won't

And the people who are gonna buy it cause they don't give a poo poo about anything except arry pottah

That game is gonna sell a few copies probably

It's one of the biggest media properties in decades. In online echo chambers it's easy to think that everyone is gonna avoid it cause Harry Potter is lame/dumb/whatever or jk Rowling is a piece of poo poo but probably not so much in real life

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean it's been Steam's #1 seller for pretty much a month straight, that was never in doubt

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Baxate posted:

Why would they? Overwatch 2 and Call of Duty got nominations and those games had controversies around the actual development studio.
dont the TGAs kind of rely on recency bias anyway. like they allowed GOW:R to be eligible and it won a bunch of awards because it was the most recent game anyone on the jury had played (i'm sure the game is fine but that had to have played a factor)

i'm off work now so i can finally play demos...

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Despite being based off of a...questionable series...the demo for Grim Guardians Demon Purge is up for Next Fest and provided some classic and solid character-swapping Castlevania 3/Bloodstained Curse of the Moon fun. But if you thought games like Forspoken were a bit too talkative and quippy, then perhaps stay away: the characters are absolute chatterboxes, repeating the same barks for every single action they do and I was getting sick of it fast, haha (and no quip-reducing option in sight unfortunately)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ok it's time to talk demos.

Unmurk

This one's kinda cool, it's basically a 3d jigsaw puzzle where you put together voxel objects. You rotate the item around to find the right orientation to place the pieces, and each angle has its own shapes, so you get kind of that Fez/Crush flattening aspect. Could lose a lot of hours to this while listening to a podcast.

Boxes: Lost Fragments

It's basically The Room... so after The Room had so many successful games, other devs started throwing in, like House of Da Vinci, and Machinika Museum, and here's yet another on the pile. Like the other also-rans, it is lacking in personality, but if your favorite part of The Room games was just opening the intricate boxes.. that's what this game offers. No frills, just latches and switches and levers.

End of the Sun

Another one I place in the 'kinda cool' category, but needs some work on its voice acting/dialog to sound and feel more natural. A Slavic fantasy mystery game where you have the ability to observe the past and even alter it by placing items in certain locations. The mysteries in the demo were not substantially special (I would call them lighthearted) but I'm interested to see if things ratchet up eventually.

The Repair House

Seems like another solid "take it apart, buy replacement items and put it back together" simulator game, by the creator of PC Building Simulator, but please. Please devs. I'm begging one of you to have a budget larger than 5 cents. It's not like these games don't sell! It's a whole cottage industry! Can I just have a loving crumb of budget and polish. Please???

Bzzzt

I learned today that there's a Cinemax that's a game publisher and not a movie channel. Also that scientists are dicks I guess. Bzzzt's closest parallel I think would be Sunblaze, with its similarly sharp art direction and time-trial platformer focus. This is probably one for a bundle purchase as it's not anything novel or new, just highly competent. Also the music is way too loud in the default mix.

I also tried to play the PictoPull demo but it is not working currently. The SunnySide demo is apparently just a character creator demo with no actual gameplay, so there went my interest in that. That leaves me 28 demos to play from the first batch that I downloaded. But I think for tonight I'm gonna just lay down and play more Grow: Song of the Evertree until I fall asleep.

Tomorrow I will likely try: Shadows of Doubt, Afterimage, Koa & the Five Pirates of Mara, Mr. Saitou, Prison City, The Ramsey, and Scene Investigators, bare minimum. The more retro ones tend to be very short (like 5 minutes short) so if that is the case, I'll tack on A Sister's Journey, Star Hearts, and Vividlope. Of the demos I played today, I wishlisted End of the Sun and Unmurk.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 7, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Stoneshard these days? I remember in 2020 people said it was conceptually neat but unfinished as gently caress, and the dev guessed it'd be in EA for two years... but fast forward to 2023 and most of the reviews I'm finding say "Neat idea, very little meaningful improvement over 3 years". So is it actually worth considering, or is it one of those permanent tech demo/EA casualty guys?

The lead designer and some of the team are from Ukraine so there have been understandable delays. But AFAIK it's still coming along.

Dark and Darker: took me ages to find a group, a good while to start the round and I'm usually dead within few minutes. Need to look at controls to see if my rogue has stealth or any other way to dodge than walking away.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 7, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

FutureCop posted:

Despite being based off of a...questionable series...the demo for Grim Guardians Demon Purge is up for Next Fest and provided some classic and solid character-swapping Castlevania 3/Bloodstained Curse of the Moon fun. But if you thought games like Forspoken were a bit too talkative and quippy, then perhaps stay away: the characters are absolute chatterboxes, repeating the same barks for every single action they do and I was getting sick of it fast, haha (and no quip-reducing option in sight unfortunately)

It's also excruciatingly anime / sexualized prepubescent girls, incase anyone else downloads that demo without knowing. Hard pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow, this year's Steam Fest has endless amount of treepunchers and Dead Cells wannabe's.