Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Since making that post, Greedier 3 streak on diff characters with 100+ coins donated each of the first two times, and 40somewhat the 3rd. Now comes the part where I need to reset/die like 10 or 15 more times before I will get a good run again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I cheated and force unlocked all the greedier stuff because that mode is just completely awful to play through. No regrets.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

tainted keeper is just What if greed mode was fun

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Found this rather comprehensive review and ranking of a whole lot of mod characters, in case someone's looking for new characters to try out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/10q09ij/my_mod_character_tier_list_second_edition_check/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1awc-NKOxq09egamieEw0zoYx6JTkpK2kO8yaaJI-PwI/edit?usp=sharing

In fact, has anyone here tried some of these characters?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I've played most of those characters and the ratings are fairly accurate. I'd personally drop Andromeda down several tiers but only because I really cannot stand tiny planet and the other gimmicks aren't enough to make it fun for me.

I'd also recommend skipping Tama entirely as it's rather problematic, even if the character is fun.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Speaking of terrible characters god drat does Tainted Cain suck to play. I'm glad that Mama Mega is still a fixed recipe so I could cheese my way into Boss Rush/Hush.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I have a run in which I have Money=Power, Deep Pockets, IV Bag and Swallowed Penny for money, and Placenta to regen health from the IV bag. If I sit around activating IV bag once per minute, I can achieve maximum damage from Money=Power in about. . . seven hours I think? No, wait, Placenta only has a chance of triggering every minute; I have no idea what the probability is but lmao

The worst part of this game is how sometimes playing optimally means doing something really boring, and this is the epitome right here.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Seems like it would be a better use of your time to IV bag down to a half heart, leave, and come back and do the same thing every few hours. I don't see the point in sitting there monitoring the game so you can do it with perfect efficiency.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

just console command yourself in a dollar and pretend you did all that instead of actually spending that ridiculous amount of time

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Ariong posted:

Seems like it would be a better use of your time to IV bag down to a half heart, leave, and come back and do the same thing every few hours. I don't see the point in sitting there monitoring the game so you can do it with perfect efficiency.

Well, I only had one red heart container at the time.

But instead of doing any of that I just kept playing normally; I got Little C.H.A.D. and by a couple floors later I had hit about 400, maybe 450 coins by iv-bagging constantly plus getting some great chest drops. Then I found a 2 of Diamonds and hit 999 coins pretty easily. Absolutely annihilated the bosses with the power of :10bux:.

I just found it funny that on floor 4 or so, the "optimal" play is to sit around pressing a button every 1-2 minutes for several hours.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DontMockMySmock posted:

I have a run in which I have Money=Power, Deep Pockets, IV Bag and Swallowed Penny for money, and Placenta to regen health from the IV bag. If I sit around activating IV bag once per minute, I can achieve maximum damage from Money=Power in about. . . seven hours I think? No, wait, Placenta only has a chance of triggering every minute; I have no idea what the probability is but lmao

The worst part of this game is how sometimes playing optimally means doing something really boring, and this is the epitome right here.

if i knew anything about modding, a mod that specifically sped up 'optimal' play that involved idling is the one i've wanted for a long time. just something that goes 'if you haven't moved in 15 seconds or so, grant these buffs if you also have these items' until you move again. placenta has its heal roll every second; gnawed leaf massively boosts damage, etc

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i’ve said it before but there’s a few cases where the existence of a very boring optimal play makes the game significantly worse to actually play

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Like so many other elements of Isaac it comes back to resource management, the resource here being "your level of self respect". I'm not above doing some goofy tedious poo poo to achieve some big power spike but sometimes there's a point where it's just too silly and time consuming and I have to say no, I'm not going to do that.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Managed a 3 win streak with t lost!! Then lost it instantly on the first floor to a spider.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah time based regeneration is a weird effect to have in the game given that there's no time pressure for most runs. Gnawed Leaf is the other effect that can lead to absurdly slow strategies (and technically the two together is infinite health...)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i have placenta-scummed like twice in all of my time with this game and it's definitely the worst tiny aspect of the game. sometimes a run is just too good to lose but you gently caress up and almost die, and you have the placenta, so...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I Gnawed Leaf scummed for two TCain runs because that item is weirdly low quality in his tables and I really wanted to get the character out of the way as soon as possible

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What's the easiest way to beat stuff as the Lost? Just unlocked him

I know there are probably no complete freebees, but what is the "tankiest" you can get him in theory? Extra Lives, protection, etc

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Holy mantle and a prayer

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Extra lives like Dead Cat
Orbitals
Active defenses like Psi Fly
Chance based damage prevention like Infamy
Immunity to certain damage types like Pyromaniac
Timed invincibility like Algiz
Extra layers of Holy Mantle like Blanket

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

BabyRyoga posted:

What's the easiest way to beat stuff as the Lost? Just unlocked him

I know there are probably no complete freebees, but what is the "tankiest" you can get him in theory? Extra Lives, protection, etc

gotta donate 879 coins in Greed/ier mode to have The Lost rewarded with a permanent Holy Mantle, makes it a lot easier to survive.

Always take any extra life stuff like Dead Cat, Guppy's Collar, 1UP.

Take every devil deal (that's worth taking anyway) since they're free.

Learn to dodge good. Since you have flight and spectral tears, attack enemies through obstructions and plant yourself inside some rocks or something to lessen the chance of damage (but obviously watch for projectiles that can go through solid objects)

Anything that can reduce or negate damage risk like Pyromaniac, Host Hat, Infamy, etc., all good.

Book of Shadows is really helpful, especially if you can get a 4.5 Volt and do enough damage to recharge that sucker asap.

Doing the Greed Donation Machine is very very important though, getting that perma Mantle makes The Lost at least somewhat bearable.

bucksmash fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 7, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah there is no playing the Lost until you unlock Holy Mantle

Don't even bother.
That's harder than playing T Lost

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I do not recommend playing naked Lost at all. Without the Holy Mantle, the game is much harder, and his unlocks aren't that vital to the game to unlock ASAP. But if you insist, basically look for any defensive item you can. Holy Mantle and Dead Cat are the big ones. Use the Eternal D6 to roll away worthless items like health upgrades or anything relating to spectral tears and flight. If you have Birthright unlocked, grab that because it automatically filters out all the useless items for you.

However once you do get the Holy Mantle, most of that advice still applies. It's just that the game is just a lot more forgiving when you can take 1 free hit per room. Holy Mantle on any other character is genuinely absurd since it's effectively a massive HP increase.

Sockser posted:

Yeah there is no playing the Lost until you unlock Holy Mantle

Don't even bother.
That's harder than playing T Lost

Tainted Lost at least has a holy card, a 30% damage boost, and can snowball more easily compared to mantle-less Lost because of the way his item mechanics work.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

No one said it, but once you get Mantle unlocked, obviously go into every curse room as well.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lol I forgot you have to unlock the Mantle. You also have to beat Delirium with original Lost for Tainted Lost to be able to have more than 2 health over the course of the entire run

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I have a Switch and PS4 file that are about at parity, most hard completion marks/challenges done on the base characters and it's so tedious to even unlock the new ones, and most of them are boring or annoying to play that I just haven't bothered to grind them out. Have way more fun playing on a 100% save on PC with just Isaac.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
As far as I know, T.Lost just acts as if you have holy card unlocked while playing as them, and getting it unlocked just lets other characters grab it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

the game should just automatically declare a win the instant you get gnawed leaf + any passive damage dealer. there's no point in playing through the rest of it when it's a done deal

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Theotus posted:

I have a Switch and PS4 file that are about at parity, most hard completion marks/challenges done on the base characters and it's so tedious to even unlock the new ones, and most of them are boring or annoying to play that I just haven't bothered to grind them out. Have way more fun playing on a 100% save on PC with just Isaac.

Yeah I got most things unlocked on Switch but then gave up. If I had it on a PC I'd play with mods. As is Ive just left it with a chunk of them left alone. Could download a fully unlocked save (modded console) to get the things I'd never get but oh well.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Closing in on 300 unlocks and starting to get to tainted chars. Which of these characters actually aren't nightmares to play? It seems like a lot of the secret and tainted chars have gimmicks that make the game unfun.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

BabyRyoga posted:

Closing in on 300 unlocks and starting to get to tainted chars. Which of these characters actually aren't nightmares to play? It seems like a lot of the secret and tainted chars have gimmicks that make the game unfun.
The really bad one is tainted jacob, tainted Eden is basically disliked, tainted lost is too frustrating for me. But most of them are awesome. Tainted Lilith is op in a very straightforward way. Tainted Maggie is the greatest character in isaac.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah the majority of the tainted characters are actually really, really strong.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah the large majority of them are at least fun for a few runs even if you might get sick of them by the time you've hit all the completion marks. I would say in general the designs are much cooler than any non-tainted DLC characters.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Out of the 5 I've played through I've despised Tainted Cain and ???. Haven't even gotten to the really bad ones like Lazarus, Eden, Forgotten and Jacob yet. I think they have the same issue as a lot of Repentance content where there was definitely a lot of work put into it but no-one ever stopped to think "would this be fun to actually play".

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jacob owns, though. Using the pocket item to slingshot Esau around is fun as hell.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

My evaluation:

Tainted Isaac - fun, having more options alleviates some run RNG, shows how powerful you can get with a small subset of items
Tainted Magdalene - fun, just make sure you stay above the threshold for losing deal chance and always take health ups, can chew through dense rooms like nobody's business
Tainted Cain - Blah. Ended up abusing the R key to clear everything in one shot outside of Greedier (remember you have to save Beast for last, and if you have a bad coinflip on Mega Satan you get to do it all over again) and abused multiple Steam Sales to cheese through Greedier. Set aside a day for this.
Tainted Judas - fun, very easy, dark arts is absurdly OP
Tainted ??? - The worst. The WORST. Not being able to bomb at will SUCKS and I can't stress this enough. You're basically hoping for poop RNG to work in your favor and it often doesn't. I think it took me more attempts to full clear his post-it on this character compared to all the other Tainted characters. gently caress Tainted ???. Once I cleared him I was sure I was going to get Dead God.
Tainted Eve - fun, snowballs once you have enough clots out
Tainted Samson - fun, berserk club does a lot of work
Tainted Azazel - decently fun, properly chaining his vulnerability makes him about as easy as az
Tainted Lazarus - Ugh. Terrible character, the switching mechanic really stinks until you're able to stumble onto an early Birthright, then it becomes a strictly better Jacob & Esau as long as you're not stupid with the flips. Don't play this character until you unlock Birthright at bare minimum.
Tainted Eden - fun, as long as you pick up a couple of quality 4 items and are mindful to pad your health with soul hearts, the constant item flipping isn't that much of a downside at all
Tainted Lost - surprisingly fun, somehow I had an easier time clearing on this character than regular lost, esp in regarding clearing greedier (lost used 8/9ths of a dead cat, t.lost was able to soak 4 hits with holy cards)
Tainted Lilith - fun, very easy, just chain whip all day
Tainted Keeper - fun, snowballs fast because of all the extra money you pick up but the low health is admittedly annoying
Tainted Apollyon - annoying at first until you get enough locusts, then gets fun
Tainted Forgotten - extremely fun, fast movement through the maze and also get to pick up curse rooms for free
Tainted Bethany - very fun, snowballs once you have enough wisps out, occasionally you get laughably overpowered wisps and the run flies
Tainted Jacob - ultimately fun, surprisingly not that hard once you figure out you can manipulate dark esau into doing big damage for you, just don't back yourself into a corner or otherwise find yourself unable to get out of the revenant's way

So yeah, most of them are fun except for the nightmarish slog of ???, the very drawn-out crafting gameplay of Cain, and the needs-a-specific-shop-item-to-not-suck gameplay of Laz.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
man, you shoulda been there for original tainted laz.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I still haven't unlocked normal the forgotten. Tried one time, thought it was horrible after a few rooms of stompy feet, haven't tried again. It's probably not as bad as it seems, and I assume you probably just use the feet to kill everything for you. There's probably some cheese for it, I bet.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

I still haven't unlocked normal the forgotten. Tried one time, thought it was horrible after a few rooms of stompy feet, haven't tried again. It's probably not as bad as it seems, and I assume you probably just use the feet to kill everything for you. There's probably some cheese for it, I bet.

Azazel can fly above all the floor obstacles and starts out with strong brimstone attack to easily kill the first boss in less than a minute. Boss rush is the only hurdle if you don't get any good items on the way to it, but the boss rush timer is disabled as long as you hold the shovel piece, so take your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, with Azazel you literally just have to keep moving. It’s not trivial but for an experienced player it shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Honestly it’s mostly a matter of keeping the stipulation in mind.