Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ace's breakdance spin 360 shooting, and Azuma hitting a dude with one sword while charging the finisher with another with his shoulder/neck was rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Buffa melted a mook with his own dang henshin.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man I swear sometimes having nostalgia in this fandom can be just plain painful, like I kind of want to fulfill some old childhood dreams of having proper fully transforming & combining toys of the Megazords from MMPR(primarily for Seasons 1 & 2 though Season 3 wouldn't be unwelcome) and it's loving impossible to find anything that's actually being sold for a remotely reasonable price(particularly anything that's actually complete and not some junked or "parted out" listing), though I imagine this isn't being helped by Hasbro being oddly allergic to doing much of anything in the way of proper Zord toys(heck for Dino Fury they apparently only did like maybe half of that season's Zords for some reason) so it's probably artificially increasing the scarcity or something

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Now Jet & Cannon is an early show upgrade I can get behind.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The constant tag team attacks and the moving/running shots in Geats are great and we get them at least once every two episodes I'm sorry you people are wrong the action is good.

There are cool moments but the vast majority of the fighting in this show I’ve seen so far has been hitting mooks to no effect.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Deleter posted:

Buffa melted a mook with his own dang henshin.

Is that the first time someone in toku managed to weaponize a transformation (though I recall something similar happening in Kyoryuger and an episode of Power Rangers RPM)?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Larryb posted:

Is that the first time someone in toku managed to weaponize a transformation (though I recall something similar happening in Kyoryuger and an episode of Power Rangers RPM)?

Kabuto's CAST OFF knocked dudes on their rear end if they were too close

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Kabuto's CAST OFF knocked dudes on their rear end if they were too close

And in a few cases flat out killed worms.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Larryb posted:

As far as Sentai/PR goes, Flynn in RPM is probably the first to do it, but "Turn around and explode a dude with your post-transformation pose" seems to be the go-to ability whenever the legacy-Sentai gimmick teams break out Dynaman.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 5, 2023

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Larryb posted:

Don't forget that the buckles in Blade would shoot out a giant card that was purposely designed to knock Undead on their asses, and they did it quite a bit.

Also I take back my earlier complaint, they did allow Keiwa to be cool in episode 19. So while they definitely poo poo on him a bit the show certainly doesn't actively hate him and they don't seem to want to make him useless. It's just that his personality means he's not going all out like the others are so he comes off as weaker a lot, and he's definitely kind of a goof on top of that. Although, that may change after the ending of episode 19 I suppose...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://mobile.twitter.com/SailorHannibal/status/1622285204348887042

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Honestly the character beats in Donbrothers are so good. In this episode alone we got:

-Tarou completely ignoring Jin but still ordering his favorite tea and preparing it for him just as he likes it
-Saruhara taking charge as the voice of reason/the person who actually leads the Donbrothers even though doing so, like, really harshes his vibe, man
-Kijino being openly hostile instead of just passive-aggressively hostile
-The Cerebran trio (ex-Cerebrans, I guess?) showing genuine character growth
-Tsubasa trying to appear cool and aloof even though he might possibly incur a massive penalty of some sort after saving Sononi
-Haruka and Sonoza geeking out over manga story conventions

And all of it was the result of believably written characters who grew and changed over the course of the series.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Disappointing to hear that Shout Factory partially used a fansubber's work for their Dekaranger DVDs:

https://twitter.com/thedex1998/status/1622038964231192585
https://twitter.com/BerndadeltaSubs/status/1622100173844267010

And the first trailer for KingOhger:

https://twitter.com/KRSentai/status/1622041076445093888

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SilentChaz posted:

Disappointing to hear that Shout Factory partially used a fansubber's work for their Dekaranger DVDs:

https://twitter.com/thedex1998/status/1622038964231192585
https://twitter.com/BerndadeltaSubs/status/1622100173844267010

And the first trailer for KingOhger:

https://twitter.com/KRSentai/status/1622041076445093888

Didn’t something similar happen with their Ohranger release?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They could have had the decency to steal from OT so I could say that my work was in a retail product

Hell, I would have bought it for that lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Happy Valemtines, have a King-Ohger presser

https://twitter.com/King47_toei/status/1622777415641534465?s=20&t=zgDF-jwoIgeDSfQfp0i_rg

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Larryb posted:

i remember it happening a bunch of times in the train sentai one where the mobs or sometimes even the boss might try to attack them, but get knocked away by the rails and stuff.
I think it happens a lot in the more modern sentais where the enemy tries to attack them mid-transform and just get repelled or counter'd

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Go off, Kings.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Got to episode 15 of Geats. I like that the game is breaking down, I like that Geats expected and planned for this, I like that the players are figuring out stuff about the nature of the game. I'm expecting/hoping that soon the story will firmly leave the bounds of the game.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

GateOfD posted:

i remember it happening a bunch of times in the train sentai one where the mobs or sometimes even the boss might try to attack them, but get knocked away by the rails and stuff.

That first episode where the grunts obey the "Please stand behind the white line" warning except for one dude who looks around confused while all the others are going "NO NO NO GET OVER HERE HURRY UP" in mookspeak was gold.

Probably the most best one though was during the ToQger/Gaim crossover where they're fighting the other's enemies, the Inves can't even comprehend the warning and charges anyway so it gets absolutely clobbered by the trinket trains as they come out to do the helmet wraparound.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Kamen Rider Geats 16 - huh. I mean, that makes total sense and I probably should have expected it, but I didn't

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1623318706335129600?s=20&t=1CP0TZqgE6Tbp5ClaLY4vA

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

MachuPikacchu posted:

Honestly the character beats in Donbrothers are so good. In this episode alone we got:

-Tarou completely ignoring Jin but still ordering his favorite tea and preparing it for him just as he likes it
-Saruhara taking charge as the voice of reason/the person who actually leads the Donbrothers even though doing so, like, really harshes his vibe, man
-Kijino being openly hostile instead of just passive-aggressively hostile
-The Cerebran trio (ex-Cerebrans, I guess?) showing genuine character growth
-Tsubasa trying to appear cool and aloof even though he might possibly incur a massive penalty of some sort after saving Sononi
-Haruka and Sonoza geeking out over manga story conventions

And all of it was the result of believably written characters who grew and changed over the course of the series.
Honestly, Im amazed that they also treated the issue of forgiveness and earning redemption with the proper gravitas. Its not something the show presents as something easy to get or at least something that is pointed out having consequences.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/KadamsEdits/status/1623335783296905222?t=2Exm6c5Hby3ipBN9X3wR5Q&s=19

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why on earth would there be a complete list of fonts used by power rangers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I didn't realize how problematic RPM was.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was rewatching the bits of Kingohger we see and I recognized that one 'vaguely European-looking medieval village' set-the one where Haruto/Wizard fights with the Drago Knight Hunter Z lieutenant in the Ghost/Ex-Aid Pacman movie-is used

Which makes me wonder if, with the knowledge of the characters we have so far, this is a whole rear end Sentai series set somewhere other than modern Tokyo. Or at the very least the Kingohgers head back and forth between their kingdoms and Earth. Or maybe it's just a prologue and the group ends up in Tokyo by episode 1.

Still, I've never disliked the fish-out-of-water Sentai set-ups.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tbh the cards loving rule

https://twitter.com/sunguts/status/1623581522501701632?s=61&t=glRw3C-9S4MtjL0WS6BClQ

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUcK-59_ykI

This trailer ratcheted up my hype a fair bit

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

OnimaruXLR posted:

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUCK!!!! ✨🙀✨

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

OnimaruXLR posted:

The trailer is clearly being atmospheric here, but what little it shows of the action looks very Cutie Honey 2004.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Schwarzwald posted:

The trailer is clearly being atmospheric here, but what little it shows of the action looks very Cutie Honey 2004.

My only exposure to this is a few gifs and I can’t imagine a higher compliment.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah cutie honey 2004 rules.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I’m still behind on Geats but I saw a picture of the new Kamen Rider and it’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
turn your monitor on

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cutie Honey 2004 is fun movie and probably the best live action Cutie Honey but it also suffers from the fact Re: Cutie Honey came out as a companion show and it's arguably the best Cutie Honey series ever

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I bought the hardcover anniversary edition of Kamen Rider, and man, Hongo is loving brutal. He just straight loving impales Bat Man with a gigantic cross. And in another scene where he's trapped in a field and can't transform, he steals Hayato's gun and shoots another assassin in the face. In the face.

And now, spoilers I guess because this is a major plot point and also kind of insane, Hongo has literally died, and is now a brain in a jar, who is electronically connected to Hayato's brain.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm just stoked to see Kamen Rider on a motorcycle again

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Really cool episode of Donbrothers this week showing everyone's growth, especially Sonoi's and Saruhara's (god is it weird to see people call him by his first name) but wow Jirou's arc was just a complete afterthought, huh? He gets five secs to make peace with himself and then appears in the giant robot battle where he does nothing special (but Tarou gets a power up for...reasons). It's a shame, the setup was neat but the payoff was non-existent, which is my worry for this series in general now, though at least Sonoiniza got exactly the ending they deserved and very well-done too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
He got a power up because he got to see all his friends work together and that made him happy because that was his plan the whole time