Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Milsurp stores sell gas masks and replacement canisters.

I imagine every milsurp store within 100 miles of the fire is sold out by now though.

make your own smoke escape hood with a heavy-duty garbage bag and a few cans of dust-off

fake edit: i googledBing-ed 'exit bag' when i couldn't remember what smoke escape hoods were called and well they're not quite the same thing :v:

edit edit: Bing™ed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it’s a good thing they intentionally released all that horrible toxic gas because otherwise it all would have been released by the fire, which would have been worse for some reason.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
how can people look at this and not see the transparent pretend made up control the government is fabricating. “don’t worry guys; this is on purpose”. *ten billion tons of pitch black toxic smoke covers surrounding hundred miles*. “this is all under control”

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

i hope everyone downwind from that toxic plume is washing their hands to protect themselves

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's good to know that there's apparently absolutely nothing at all we can do about train crashes involving toxic chemicals except release them directly into the atmosphere

That's very reassuring

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

It's good to know that there's apparently absolutely nothing at all we can do about train crashes involving toxic chemicals except release them directly into the atmosphere

That's very reassuring

maybe we could give the executives and investors of the company who caused this disaster more money?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the solution to pollution is dilution!*

*unless you are in the red zone** where YOU FACE THE GRAVE DANGER OF DEATH

**the red zone is earth

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Feb 7, 2023

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Paradoxish posted:

That's very reassuring

if consumers did not want their trains and chemicals exploding, they should have purchased from more reputable brands

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there's nothing that could have been done about this, or anything. chaos reigns. consume and then die

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

bedpan posted:

which is why we are attempting to destroy the river by robbing it of the water

One never mugs the same river twice

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Stereotype posted:

. chaos reigns.

Almost certainly an improvement compared to earnestly building a machine to shepard us and the rest of the world as we know it it into annihilation.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Lmao phosgene gas.

Come on baby let's do another bhopal

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

BRJurgis posted:

Almost certainly an improvement compared to earnestly building a machine to shepard us and the rest of the world as we know it it into annihilation.

don't be an rear end in a top hat. all the rest of us are working hard on the machine and we're just about done with one of the greatest works of engineering possibly ever. do your part and nobody will ever have to worry about toxic black fog again.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

[biosphere] anyone still in the red zone FACES THE GRAVE DANGER OF DEATH
e" lol extremely beat like the dead horses

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I piss on a rag and tie it over my face before entering the mal to loot valuable relics of the old world. The goggles themselves are priceless heirlooms. This work will kill me, but it will be worth it if our clan can recover advanced technology such as the secret method of producing interchangeable parts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/power-switch/2023/02/06/climate-disasters-displacing-millions-in-the-u-s-00081297

1.4% of americans were forced to leave homes due to natural disaster last year (including 11% of Louisianans)

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

1% is very small. I don't see the big deal

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
1% straight up died of covid so yeah 1% having to peel their sagging pock-marked flesh from their stained plastic recliner and leave their houses for once doesn't seem like a big deal at all

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stereotype posted:

1% straight up died of covid so yeah 1% having to peel their sagging pock-marked flesh from their stained plastic recliner and leave their houses for once doesn't seem like a big deal at all

It was .1% died of covid, and about 2% crippled so badly that they can't work.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

silicone thrills posted:

I can't even begin to grasp how much of an evironmental disaster this is lol

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/06/us/east-palestine-ohio-train-derailment-fire-monday/index.html

But im sure as soon as the flames go down the whole area will just keep doing their thing and in a few years someone will buy a house, plant a garden and unknowingly start poisoning themselves with some fresh home grown tomatoes.

This is about 2.5 miles from the olde 'family farm' on my mother's side.
Spent many days down there with my legit BAMF grandpa (and also grandma) growing up.
A sad, broken and depressing place - surely this will help

I know its just one of an seemingly infinite number of insane realities, large and small, now and to come... but it makes me feel like a scene from a half remembered movie some two decades old https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BI1dT1F3qY

I am so very glad that it was 'contained'

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

War Never Changes

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/power-switch/2023/02/06/climate-disasters-displacing-millions-in-the-u-s-00081297

1.4% of americans were forced to leave homes due to natural disaster last year (including 11% of Louisianans)
Those are rookie numbers. Show me 5% displaced in a year and then we can talk about these so called, "climate related population relocation challenges".

kater
Nov 16, 2010

still waiting for the formal declaration Louisiana has been reclaimed by the sea

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

5% is still a very small number. Talk to me when we hit double digits.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
migrated with climate change, not from climate change

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mola Yam posted:

the solution to pollution is dilution!*

this is becoming a powerful intrusive thought for me

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rip

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Sequestered at last.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Chamale posted:

It was .1% died of covid, and about 2% crippled so badly that they can't work.

Officially 1.2M have died in the US and the population of the US is ~330M, that puts it at ~0.4% if everyone has gotten it, which they haven't (though it's close).

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Death is certain

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/qjAC64Y.mp4

Crazypoops has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Feb 7, 2023

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I like how the orange is"long term injury" not "protracted suffering and also death"

Crazypoops has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Feb 7, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol if you still surgical past 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mawarannahr posted:

lol if you still surgical past 2020

that was the point of the post mawarannahr... it was nostalgia...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shave your beard you goon! :argh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Clouds of cringe held down by inversion layer

Crazypoops posted:

I like how the orange is"long term injury" not "protracted suffering and also death"

New cancer cluster just dropped. America loves dropping cluster munitions.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
IT'S JUST A CLOUD, jeeze

people are like

You'll breathe it in and you'll like it.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i've got a new friend who has moved into the woods around my house, and they finally stood still long enough for me to get a blurry phone picture:

it's a pileated woodpecker! they haven't lived around here in decades but this big guy has been swooping around this winter and seems to have finally moved in close by

two years of consistently providing food and especially water seems to have been providing some stability for local birds, both migratory and overwintering ones. the ongoing drought has dried up all the little ponds and creeks around here, and the last summer saw lots of little critters so desperate for water that i had to build little escape ladders out of all my rain-barrels after some unfortunate drownings

this fall and winter has seen a real population explosion in the spruce copse beside my house. there's a mated pair of blue jays, a mated pair of whiskeyjacks (one of my faves), at least two pairs of ravens, endless numbers of hairy and downy woodpeckers and a few different models of owls, along with swarms of feathered riff-raff. also a family of red foxes moved in behind the garden the year before last and boy are they noisy in the mornings during spring

bonus action shot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

tiberion02 posted:

War Never Changes

I haven’t had a legit crack ping in months, maybe years.

Thank you, Enormous Death Cloud