Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mordiceius posted:

Also - her story quest in the Inazuma chapters is just a long string of "OOOOH AYAKA AND THE TRAVELER SHOULD FALL IN LOVE. SHE LOOOOOOOVES YOU." which I felt didn't land at all.

The Yoimiya story quests was S-tier lighting fireworks with friends. The Ayaka story quest was D-tier boring girl simps for you.

And that's why Yoi is best girl and will probably be the only outfit I actually spend money on (once she gets one, 7 years from now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My wife doing the Jade Chamber questline "I don't want to talk to that loving bird. She talks too much."

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Just wait until they make her playable.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The injustice of losing Guizhong while bird will be playable.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Characters in this game are too perfect for me to care about. Gods, paragons and prodigies don't have anything to really risk since they're all too competent for any of their set-backs to last. For the longest time I thought Ganyu and Shenhe were the same character because all of their involvement was neatly sequestered to the time mihoyo was pushing them. Ditto Ayaka and Kokomi. Ganyu being a 3000 year old pushover killed any investment I had in her character development, she might as well be a seinfeld character trapped in infinite syndication.

Once I get a character and start using them they begin to grow on me since they start actually doing things instead of reciting their ad-copy. Nahida has been the stand-out, if she's on my team I have a very real chance of being distracted by picking flowers. Superb in game characterization.

It would be easier for me to care about anyone if they were demoted. Gorou should be a scout, not a general. Raiden should be a fanatical retainer, not the big show itself. Ningguang an actuary or a reeve. Xiao can stay where he is, his job is over and he's waiting by the hotline for the next big crisis.

Give me losers. You can put losers anywhere and their scrambling matters. If they win there's no guarantee that win will last and if they lose they're not important enough for anyone to rush in and save them. Perfectly flawed wonder pouters are the reason I still want a skip cutscene button.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Sounds like you'll love Itto (well everyone does)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean this game cant really do 'losers' or 'unimportant characters' because its trying to do a world spanning adventure and they release characters so slowly. arknights can do unimportant ground level characters because it has 200+ characters in it. goldenglow can be a barber who had her house burned down in a tax fraud scheme because they can also put out a bunch of characters who are actually important to the plot and world.

genshin cant do that. when you only release like, 20 characters a year, every one of those characters has to be important to the world and setting if they also want to tell the stories and do the worldbuilding they want to do. thats why even someone like yaoyao has to work for fairly important people, or why itto has to have a personal connection to ayato and sara.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Itto is the loving best.

You could give Itto universe splitting, horizon scouring power and he will still be tricked into a crisis of identity because he lost a 'cup and ball' game.

Best character. Put him in everything. Give him more outfits.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Endorph posted:

i mean this game cant really do 'losers' or 'unimportant characters' because its trying to do a world spanning adventure and they release characters so slowly. arknights can do unimportant ground level characters because it has 200+ characters in it. goldenglow can be a barber who had her house burned down in a tax fraud scheme because they can also put out a bunch of characters who are actually important to the plot and world.

genshin cant do that. when you only release like, 20 characters a year, every one of those characters has to be important to the world and setting if they also want to tell the stories and do the worldbuilding they want to do. thats why even someone like yaoyao has to work for fairly important people, or why itto has to have a personal connection to ayato and sara.

I get this but here's the thing: the more powerful you are in a given status-quo the more likely you are to deny that the same status-quo is melting beneath your feet. Powerful, connected and comfortable people are the first to tell you everything's fine, keep working and don't question how involved I was in causing this mess.

This touches on another stitch I have. I've collected four archons but they're all real cagey about what's going on and what the rules really are. If these were the antagonists it would make sense that they would hide what they know but I'm getting their friendships scores higher and higher. Why be so coy? Losers would be out of the loop but these are the movers and shakers. Why does my time with them count for so little other than nice dates?

Edit: D-D-Doublepost!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean to be fair you know exactly why Zhongli won't tell you and Ei and Nahida legitimately do not know anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I cannot see any advantages to demoting characters a tier. Oh wow now they have a uniquely modeled boss for us all to wish for great! I don't see how that helps.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Venti lied as naturally as he breathed.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I cannot see any advantages to demoting characters a tier. Oh wow now they have a uniquely modeled boss for us all to wish for great! I don't see how that helps.

I want characters to be demoted socially not mechanically. King becomes duke, Knight becomes Squire, that sort of thing. Five stars stay five stars and four four. I don't want to see anyone wishing for Dvalin or Azhdaha, I want characters to be demoted writing-wise. People on the rear end end of a setting are way more enthusiastic about up-ending it and that's the fun part of the writing for me.

Edit: God playing as any of the set-piece bosses would be misery.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 7, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
One of the big themes of the game is the tension between The Elect and Everyone Else. I suppose technically, our main character is supposed to be the bridge between the two, but we're just as much of an absurd demigod as all the other playable characters soooo

I remember seeing Ninguanng for the first time and being all "drat, we crossed this lady who owns the richest nation in the world? Oh poo poo, we're besities now, I bet her info network will be a big help" and it turns out its like, nah, she's ultimately a small fry in the grand scheme of things

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

haypliss posted:

The injustice of losing Guizhong while bird will be playable.

Absolutely hosed up.

Also there's more Tanit-related fun, which is worth pointing out because the quest marker is actually underneath the teleport waypoint, so it's rather difficult to spot unless a) you already know it's there or b) you hear the game beep at you and look around to figure out why. Which doesn't work because those beeps don't any one thing in particular.

So, in addition to the previous things I said about all that: lmao, and "that went about as you'd expect."

Also, something broke or they hosed up, because Yuften is still standing here by his crocodiles, except I can't speak to him. I very much killed the poo poo out of him.

I do wish they'd stop having dialogue during combat, there's a lot of that during this questline and everything dies in about 30 seconds, making it rather difficult to read any of it (or see most of it).

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

One of the big themes of the game is the tension between The Elect and Everyone Else. I suppose technically, our main character is supposed to be the bridge between the two, but we're just as much of an absurd demigod as all the other playable characters soooo

I remember seeing Ninguanng for the first time and being all "drat, we crossed this lady who owns the richest nation in the world? Oh poo poo, we're besities now, I bet her info network will be a big help" and it turns out its like, nah, she's ultimately a small fry in the grand scheme of things

I mean it's not really a problem with Ningguang. She is powerful. You're just on a cosmic quest that no one can really help with due to your goal being in hell and also heaven is actively erasing all the evidence. It's like if you arrange a meeting with Biden to ask him about aliens, he won't be able to help you.

At the end of the day the Traveler's whole thing is just a framing device. It started the game and it'll end it, but in between we've got a Teyvat to explore that's got its own poo poo going on.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Zenostein posted:

Absolutely hosed up.

Also there's more Tanit-related fun, which is worth pointing out because the quest marker is actually underneath the teleport waypoint, so it's rather difficult to spot unless a) you already know it's there or b) you hear the game beep at you and look around to figure out why. Which doesn't work because those beeps don't any one thing in particular.

So, in addition to the previous things I said about all that: lmao, and "that went about as you'd expect."

Also, something broke or they hosed up, because Yuften is still standing here by his crocodiles, except I can't speak to him. I very much killed the poo poo out of him.

I do wish they'd stop having dialogue during combat, there's a lot of that during this questline and everything dies in about 30 seconds, making it rather difficult to read any of it (or see most of it).

that bug, as hilarious as it may be, will be fixed the next time you enter the game

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Redmark posted:

It's like if you arrange a meeting with Biden to ask him about aliens, he won't be able to help you.

:tinfoil:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Happy Underpants posted:

I want characters to be demoted socially not mechanically. King becomes duke, Knight becomes Squire, that sort of thing. Five stars stay five stars and four four. I don't want to see anyone wishing for Dvalin or Azhdaha, I want characters to be demoted writing-wise. People on the rear end end of a setting are way more enthusiastic about up-ending it and that's the fun part of the writing for me.

Edit: God playing as any of the set-piece bosses would be misery.

I was trying to say 'Okay we move everyone down one step on the social ladder, and what does that change?' Because if now everyone's a vice president or vice prime minister what exactly does that do for us? Now there's someone in charge that we're not seeing or interacting with that's got all the actual power. Cool, now everybody gets their own Varka, I don't see what Thoma being the next-best Fixer in Inazuma does to fix things.

Because if you do that then you need to fill that spot with a different character that we never see and I don't really understand why that'd be an improvement.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I'm still pretty tickled by the idea of playable bosses and the characterization thereof.

Hi I'm Azhdaha. RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Dvalin. I was a loyal servant of the wind archon until: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Andrius. I was also a loyal servant of the wind archon until: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Raiden. I'm trapped in the pursuit of eternity so: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Childe. I let my Vision and Delusion touch so: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Signora. I couldn't stop huffing liquid flame so: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

Hi I'm Scaramouche. I couldn't get my mech's RPMs right so: RAGABAGABAGABAGA

RareAcumen posted:

I was trying to say 'Okay we move everyone down one step on the social ladder, and what does that change?' Because if now everyone's a vice president or vice prime minister what exactly does that do for us? Now there's someone in charge that we're not seeing or interacting with that's got all the actual power. Cool, now everybody gets their own Varka, I don't see what Thoma being the next-best Fixer in Inazuma does to fix things.

Because if you do that then you need to fill that spot with a different character that we never see and I don't really understand why that'd be an improvement.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood your post.

The people on top are trying to plug the holes as everything comes undone but as those problems become more and more apparent it falls first and hardest on the folks at the fringes.

Thomas is kind of a bad example, a fixer is exactly the kind of person to be sent out to figure out what is going on while ghost wolves and thunder birds suddenly become a problem while the load bearing leaders (Ayato, Raiden and Kokomi) stay put to keep things together at the core. If 'THINGS' suddenly started happening Jean wouldn't leave Mondstadt to jump on mushrooms and complete challenges with the traveler, she'd put the second stringers on it (like Bennett and Razor.) Re-write all of those leaders as NPCs stapled to their responsibilities and unable to galivant and let expendable, flawed and failure capable losers take their place.

Writing this out I realize I have no sense of timescale regarding of the story. Are things rapidly approaching crescendo or is this a multi-year slow boil where the conflicts of the game build up under the surface? How serious is the 'Mouches 'build your own god' scheme compared to the toy making event?

This would be easier to ignore if I could play dress-up Mihoyo!

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 7, 2023

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Happy Underpants posted:

Hi I'm Childe. I let my Vision and Delusion touch so: RAGABAGABAGABAGA
Letting us equip Delusions would be a pretty sick way to introduce element swapping within characters though. Shame about the implications, and consequences, though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Happy Underpants posted:

This touches on another stitch I have. I've collected four archons but they're all real cagey about what's going on and what the rules really are. If these were the antagonists it would make sense that they would hide what they know but I'm getting their friendships scores higher and higher. Why be so coy? Losers would be out of the loop but these are the movers and shakers. Why does my time with them count for so little other than nice dates?

There is a rather large sword of Damocles hanging over them to strongly discourage them from telling us anything. You may have noticed it. It's in the shape of a large island, and you can see it from anywhere on the map.

That's why.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

MarquiseMindfang posted:

There is a rather large sword of Damocles hanging over them to strongly discourage them from telling us anything. You may have noticed it. It's in the shape of a large island, and you can see it from anywhere on the map.

That's why.

Moreover, there are a LOT of clues now that said Sword of Damocles is about to drop again, directly onto Fontaine this time.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I would be shocked if the Fontaine chapter isn't the game's Befall moment. Focalors in the Ars Goetia wanted to return to heaven, but heaven deceived them for a thousand years. I am ready for poo poo to go down.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Happy Underpants posted:

Oh sorry, I misunderstood your post.

The people on top are trying to plug the holes as everything comes undone but as those problems become more and more apparent it falls first and hardest on the folks at the fringes.

Thomas is kind of a bad example, a fixer is exactly the kind of person to be sent out to figure out what is going on while ghost wolves and thunder birds suddenly become a problem while the load bearing leaders (Ayato, Raiden and Kokomi) stay put to keep things together at the core. If 'THINGS' suddenly started happening Jean wouldn't leave Mondstadt to jump on mushrooms and complete challenges with the traveler, she'd put the second stringers on it (like Bennett and Razor.) Re-write all of those leaders as NPCs stapled to their responsibilities and unable to galivant and let expendable, flawed and failure capable losers take their place.

Writing this out I realize I have no sense of timescale regarding of the story. Are things rapidly approaching crescendo or is this a multi-year slow boil where the conflicts of the game build up under the surface? How serious is the 'Mouches 'build your own god' scheme compared to the toy making event?

This would be easier to ignore of I could play dress-up Mihoyo!

I might be undermining some characters or just not remembering everyone's deal but 4*s feel like just people and 5*s are the ones that might be important to the world or something. Ningguang aside I can't think of any super duper important NPCs? Beidou's the only person out on the ocean but I think that's it. Like, pick any random duo and drop them one level, Bennet and Choungyun, journeyman adventurer and exorcist-in-training respectively. I don't see how that changes anything? Diona, Yanfei, Yunjin, Kuki Shinobu, Sayu, all that does is mean that the new character in charge wouldn't call them up for advice or to sneak in somewhere in Sayu's case, they'd ask someone else.

As far as story important goes people only have influence where they're based and then little beyond that? From what I've seen through events and everything else so far, I feel like Yae Miko has the most story relevance to everything so far. Hu Tao, Klee, Mona, Nilou, Qiqi and Shenhe seem the least involved in everything.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Hell yeah! I'd banked up 74 pity on the Alhaitham banner before now, and got Yelan at 77 pity.

...It's possible I may have overprepared for this. Banked up to push through a failed 50/50 if necessary and now I'm sitting here with a dangerously full primo wallet. Still, result! Thanks again for the words of caution upthread, all.

E: And Keqing C1 at 15 pity after that. Wow. Good day for it.

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 7, 2023

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Happy Underpants posted:

I get this but here's the thing: the more powerful you are in a given status-quo the more likely you are to deny that the same status-quo is melting beneath your feet. Powerful, connected and comfortable people are the first to tell you everything's fine, keep working and don't question how involved I was in causing this mess.

Edit: D-D-Doublepost!

To be fair only really Venti and Zhongli are being super cagey to you.

Ei was just a shadow warrior to the real archon and wasn't really in the know to begin with before she shut herself away.

Nahida was born well after most of the poo poo went down and she was promptly stuffed in a closet when she was born.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The further I go in the story the more Signora beating Venti in one move seems either really suspicious, or just evidence this company can't reasonably power-scale that well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
EVERYONE else has willingly given up their gnoses and venti is the most well informed character in the gane. I have no doubt he gave his up intentionally.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Venti just leaping at the first opportunity to drop what little responsibility he even had in the first place.

Icon.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Uninstalling this game from my fuckign phone because the urge to pull Alhaitham is becoming uncontrollable lmao

No possible way to even interact with the game until I get back home! Honestly, I don't know how people have so much impulse control when it comes to games like this, I've been going nuts over the last couple days. But once I pick up Yelan I'll have collected every good character they've ever released (all 3 of em) and I'll be free to do whatever I want~

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It is very hard. I'm upset about Dehya's leaks and so part of me is just like "Okay now pull on Hu Tao" but I am pretty sure I'd dislike her playstyle and I have Yoimiya and I want to do something much dumber and go for a big Eula whenever she's back. But pulling is fun and it's hard to just sit on primos for so long.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im pulling dehya because im not a quitter

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

There's no reason not to c0 Dehya at least if you love her character (which I do)

But at the moment there's little reason to C6R5 her unless you have, like, saudi oil prince levels of money lying around (which I don't)

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I have saved 60k primos for Dehya, and I was going to blow them all. Now I might just C0 her and see if someone can make a coherent build for her, or she becomes Teapot fodder.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Her kit is entirely anathema to my expectations of her. I wanted her to be onfield and cool like almost everyone other Sumeru quest character. Instead she's the exact opposite of that and playing her optimally you never even hit anyone with her sword. I'm sure she will end up usable, but not how I envisioned her/wanted her. At this point I'd rather she just be a skin for Diluc I'd have to roll for or something.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Eimi posted:

Her kit is entirely anathema to my expectations of her. I wanted her to be onfield and cool like almost everyone other Sumeru quest character. Instead she's the exact opposite of that and playing her optimally you never even hit anyone with her sword. I'm sure she will end up usable, but not how I envisioned her/wanted her. At this point I'd rather she just be a skin for Diluc I'd have to roll for or something.

Character skin transmog system when.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Eimi posted:

It is very hard. I'm upset about Dehya's leaks and so part of me is just like "Okay now pull on Hu Tao" but I am pretty sure I'd dislike her playstyle and I have Yoimiya and I want to do something much dumber and go for a big Eula whenever she's back. But pulling is fun and it's hard to just sit on primos for so long.

Eventually, you learn to enjoy your pot of primos slowly get Bigger Number, such that you actually get a little sad when it's time to spend some of them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Isnt there only one pyro 5 star worth owning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

No Wave posted:

Isnt there only one pyro 5 star worth owning?

Yes, and it's Klee. Boom boom bakudan.