Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

There has to be a german word for "joy at watching someone buy a Steam Deck and realizing its even cooler than they hoped."

I don't think I've had my expectations mashed into dust so completely by another purchase.

it's probably the opposite of shaudenfreud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Freudenfreude?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm running with Überraschungfreude - surprise-joy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gabenspiele

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
My only hesitation about getting the official dock is that I'd like to be able to use the Deck while it's plugged in, either for something like DS emulation where I want two screens at once or just because I want to use the trackpads. Anyone have experience with this? The official dock looks like it has a short USB cable that would make it awkward to use as a controller while plugged in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't played the XBLA version personally but I think it was the textures. I don't know.

Which route did you end up going for this?

I followed a video tutorial from Graslu or whatever their name is (the Goldeneye champion? Of the world?). I did the n64 roms via 1964 with the custom command line.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Super, super dumb question, but... A) your Bluetooth IS on, right? And B) you're using the right type of sync option on the controller (holding + with the designated face button, not sure which one is best for the deck)?

I'm not saying this from experience, I haven't connected my extra controllers to it yet. Hopefully I don't have a problem when I do.

its not that

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Desktop mode has been way smoother for me the last couple weeks. Seems like they've made some good updates to the desktop stability.

edit: Ha, of course as soon as I say that my keyboard stops working

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 6, 2023

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Squiggle posted:

There has to be a german word for "joy at watching someone buy a Steam Deck and realizing its even cooler than they hoped."

I don't think I've had my expectations mashed into dust so completely by another purchase in ages

Edit: Schdeckenfreude

I fly/commute to work as an airline pilot. The deck not only gives me great entertainment on boring overnight locations but makes my time spent commuting fly by.

I can stream my iPads audio through the deck to my AirPods so I can watch tv and play at the same time. The guy next to me on my flight home yesterday was loving watching me play Days Gone. Still blown away by how good this thing is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lord Harbor posted:

My only hesitation about getting the official dock is that I'd like to be able to use the Deck while it's plugged in, either for something like DS emulation where I want two screens at once or just because I want to use the trackpads. Anyone have experience with this? The official dock looks like it has a short USB cable that would make it awkward to use as a controller while plugged in.
Just get any hub you like and stick a USB-C extension cable between it and the deck, and potentially a longish HDMI if your room is longer than a USB-C can stretch. That's the way I prefer to use the deck on a TV, so I can keep using the deck controls. If you want to do dual screen stuff you have to play in desktop mode though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bob A Feet posted:

I fly/commute to work as an airline pilot. The deck not only gives me great entertainment on boring overnight locations but makes my time spent commuting fly by.

I can stream my iPads audio through the deck to my AirPods so I can watch tv and play at the same time. The guy next to me on my flight home yesterday was loving watching me play Days Gone. Still blown away by how good this thing is.

Gonna need some Deck-in-different-cockpits pics, my friend.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

Gonna need some Deck-in-different-cockpits pics, my friend.

With Flight Simulator running on it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, I'm having trouble.

I have GE and PD all set up, and I'm trying to get.... I don't know, the emulator? to recognize player 2. My 8bitdo Pro Plus is recognised by the Steam deck, the inputs all check out (I'm running x-input, so it sees it as an Xbox controller) and when I get in game.... nothing. Steam deck controls just fine, and the 8bitdo stays synced and everything (and hitting the home button pulls up the steam menu, so.... something's working), but when I'm in the combat simulator, I cannot for the life of me get player 2 to work.

Edit: ok, I half-maybe-solved it. The Steam deck layout is for a kb+m setup, and I was trying to get the 2nd controller to be seen as a controller.

But I also switched to it being m+kb, and it still did nothing.

I'm guessing that the emulator (1964) isn't designed well for multiplayer.

Edit 2: I asked Graslu00 on twitter about it, and this was their answer... Which I don't understand but I sincerely don't want to bug them about this.

Anyone know how I can do this?

https://twitter.com/Graslu00/status/1622709487365771264?t=gCL-rpeOY4zIZuyvc8GV7A&s=19

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 6, 2023

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

njsykora posted:

Gabenspiele

this is what the deck is called in germany

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
For anyone running PCSX2, what mapping do you have for quick save/load? I tried using any of the back paddles, but none of them registered as button presses.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it's a little crazy how badly the framerate cap seems to affect input latency.

It's, like, NOTICEABLE noticeable at 40FPS. Is there a Decky plugin or some poo poo that I can use to tweak it? I think by default it does triple buffering according to the internet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I think I’m gonna put my gaming laptop on eBay and use the money to get a Gabe Gear.

This threads enthusiasm for it is infectious. It’s like early days Nintendo Switch all over again except the deck actually has more than one game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

BisterdDave posted:

For anyone running PCSX2, what mapping do you have for quick save/load? I tried using any of the back paddles, but none of them registered as button presses.

I've been using the touchpad for things like that, though I haven't tried it with PCSX2 specifically. You'd just set a touchpad button to a letter on the keyboard, and then go into the PCSX2 settings and change the hotkey.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also the games run at 40-60 fps

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

You might have to hit the steam button, go into controller settings and turn on the back paddles for the layout you’ve got selected for PCSX2 because they’re not always active

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

What's the best way to play gamepass stuff? Cloud based or booting up windows? If it is windows, should I grab 2 SD cards (one for boot, one for games), do a split partition on the internal drive, or what's the easiest option? I'm not really sure how that part works yet, just got my deck yesterday. Thing is pretty sweet.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

Did you install it through Emudeck? If so I think the default is start+rb saves, +lb loads, and select plus those two changes the save slot up and down. I’m at work so I can’t test it out but I’m pretty sure that’s it. I’ll recommend the Decky plugin that shows hot keys for Emudeck emulators again, it’s much easier to reference that than to mess around setting hot keys yourself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

What's the best way to play gamepass stuff? Cloud based or booting up windows? If it is windows, should I grab 2 SD cards (one for boot, one for games), do a split partition on the internal drive, or what's the easiest option? I'm not really sure how that part works yet, just got my deck yesterday. Thing is pretty sweet.

I would just use xcloud.

Windows "works" but its honestly a pain in the rear end where as streaming just works and you don't have to reboot the device to get to windows. I have a second SD card with windows on it but I haven't booted into windows in a while because I swear every time you do there's patches and poo poo you need to download before you even get going.

I sure wouldn't split the internal partition though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

Just play it from the cloud unless your internet is extremely lovely it saves about a billion steps

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jokes posted:

Is there a Decky plugin or some poo poo that I can use to tweak it?
You have to disable the Frame Limiter in the performance overlay and disable vsync in game, then set an in-game FPS cap of 40 (or whatever your refresh rate is).

If the game doesn't support an internal 40 FPS cap you can try having Mangohud do it by setting these launch options:
code:
MANGOHUD_CONFIG=fps_limit=40,no_display mangohud %command%
But I've never tried that myself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah and you can't sleep the games in windows like you can with SteamOS. Also the windows sleep mode is iffy so you will find that your poo poo rebooted anyway.

Trust me it is a major pain in the fuckin rear end.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

Either way you gotta make a compromise. If you can stand the cloud, its definitely the easier way to do it, but, its the cloud :whitewater:
If you want to boot Windows the best way to go is SD card. Get Rufus, it automatically downloads Windows and makes a bootdisk, probably format the card exfat imo but that might just be superstition on my part, download the Windows drivers and put it on the SD card beforehand because you won't have wifi, then boot into the SD card and install Steam and Glossi. Whenever you install something on the Xbox app, run Glossi and have it add the game to Steam.

You can have Steam launch straight to Big Picture Mode, if you run beta Steam it will look just like gaming mode in SteamOS and the Windows desktop will work more or less like SteamOS desktop mode works, with the new better on screen keyboard. Some game pass games do not like being launched from BPM though so its iffy sometimes, those you have to exit BPM and launch from desktop Steam.

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah and you can't sleep the games in windows like you can with SteamOS. Also the windows sleep mode is iffy so you will find that your poo poo rebooted anyway.

Trust me it is a major pain in the fuckin rear end.
Some games suspend okay, I've been playing Chained Echoes and Hifi Rush and those behave fine. Others don't so much. Its, incredibly sketchy.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 7, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Yeah ironically the worst part about running windows on the deck is the windows part. Windows is just a pain to use as a tablet OS, and is missing the good integrations and sleep functionality of the Linux side. I would love love LOVE a plug-in or whole os replacement that made it just work like steam os but with UWP comparability, or better yet if Microsoft were to just make their own game pass client for the deck.

If I could play my game pass library on the deck natively and as easily as I could in steam, the deck would immediately go from one of my favorite things to my favorite thing in the whole world bar none.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I would not bother treating it as a tablet at all, just install Steam and use the trackpads. I mean I don't use the touch screen in SteamOS desktop mode either, but especially don't in Windows. Honestly Steam makes the gamepad Windows experience fairly good, I used my Steam Controller a lot on the desktop. And if you're able to stay in BPM, you're like, 80% of the way to the SteamOS experience, you just don't have the power management, and its a bit flakier in general.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Squiggle posted:

There has to be a german word for "joy at watching someone buy a Steam Deck and realize its even cooler than they hoped."

I don't think I've had my expectations mashed into dust so completely by another purchase in ages

Edit: Schdeckenfreude

Jemanddenkungsteamdeckvielbesseralservartungbeochatenfreude

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone elses deck have lots of issues connecting to steam servers coming out of sleep mode?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Parallelwoody posted:

I haven't tried it yet but someone figured out a guide for Remote play .
If you're ok with cloud stuff just follow the guide on Microsoft's page it's pretty straight forward, but it's definitely not a great experience unless you're sticking to single player, slow scale games

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone elses deck have lots of issues connecting to steam servers coming out of sleep mode?

Yup.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
is it possible for a device to break the power brick? I was using it to charge my lenovo yogo tablet, where for some reason it was charging really slowly, like estimating 11 hours to fully charge, then I later switched it to charge my 3-in-1 laptop (HP Spectre X2) and I noticed the charging light wasn't on the other day and the laptop is almost dead. Tried unplugging/replugging it and plugging it into different things but it's not charging anything at all anymore, even the steam deck. Tried different outlets as well so I know it's not an outlet issue. :(

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Danith posted:

is it possible for a device to break the power brick?
When you plug a USB-C charger into a device with a USB-C port it's supposed to do something sensible: charge (perhaps slowly) or do nothing.

Assuming your tablet and laptop don't have conformance issues (say, overdraw the charger) then you may have just had a bad charger.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so a bit of a trip report from trying to figure out multiple controllers with 1964 GEPD (Goldeneye/Perfect Dark): I couldn't! :haw:

Look, my main goal is to have the Steam Deck allow me and my sons to play some split-screen multiplayer FPS games, since Goldeneye on the Switch has been a big hit (except it's fairly janky, even after fixing the controls) And so far, though I'm not entirely done trying, GE/PD is a no-go with multiple controllers.

And then I thought "Well, holy poo poo, Timesplitters 2 (and 3/Future Perfect) are also excellent split-screen multiplayer games! I could do those!"

So I did, sort of! I got a copy of TS2, and installed emudeck with xemu, and after some trial and error (thanks, Reddit, for the bios files!) I'm running TS2 with support for multiple controllers! :toot:

Now, I also want to get TS3 installed, so I'll do that, but I'm curious if anyone knows how I could have two separate 'launches' for Xemu, one for ts2, the other for 3, just like I have for GE and PD.

I know I'd have to add xemu twice as non-steam games, but I'm not that familiar with what kind of launch parameters I'd need for it to auto-load a specific title. Can anyone help?

Also, as I've said many times before, holy making GBS threads gently caress I love the Steam deck.

Edit: wait wait wait.... Steam rom manager can do this?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 7, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes, Steam Rom Manager's whole purpose is to put emulated games in Steam so they can launch just like any other game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so a bit of a trip report from trying to figure out multiple controllers with 1964 GEPD (Goldeneye/Perfect Dark): I couldn't! :haw:

Look, my main goal is to have the Steam Deck allow me and my sons to play some split-screen multiplayer FPS games, since Goldeneye on the Switch has been a big hit (except it's fairly janky, even after fixing the controls) And so far, though I'm not entirely done trying, GE/PD is a no-go with multiple controllers.

And then I thought "Well, holy poo poo, Timesplitters 2 (and 3/Future Perfect) are also excellent split-screen multiplayer games! I could do those!"

So I did, sort of! I got a copy of TS2, and installed emudeck with xemu, and after some trial and error (thanks, Reddit, for the bios files!) I'm running TS2 with support for multiple controllers! :toot:

Now, I also want to get TS3 installed, so I'll do that, but I'm curious if anyone knows how I could have two separate 'launches' for Xemu, one for ts2, the other for 3, just like I have for GE and PD.

I know I'd have to add xemu twice as non-steam games, but I'm not that familiar with what kind of launch parameters I'd need for it to auto-load a specific title. Can anyone help?

Also, as I've said many times before, holy making GBS threads gently caress I love the Steam deck.

Edit: wait wait wait.... Steam rom manager can do this?

Tons of great local multiplayer games in the gamecube library as well!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I set up EmuDeck already and everything works great.

Except for the drat Colecovision…

Anyhow, I have installed some HD texture packs for GameCube and Wii but I’m not sure if Dolphin is incorporating them correctly.

Besides the graphical fidelity, how do you know if Dolphin is correctly using them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Tons of great local multiplayer games in the gamecube library as well!

True, I had a Gamecube, and my Wii has been modded for years. Hmmmm, I might spring for F-Zero GX.