Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Good for you Kerrie, I respect the sacrifice you made for your 30 grand house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's alright millennials the interest rate should stabilise just in time for tax breaks and we will be off to the races in 2024.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Spend less on avocado toast
Millenials: no

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Can I sacrifice boomers?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
https://twitter.com/pjwiss/status/1622429742602543104

Every time.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

It gets better lol

https://twitter.com/carlopinarello/status/1622437482770960384?s=20&t=Z7ZtgWm2ljnpEIRZmVyXuw

quote:

According to the executor for the estate, the man who had created a multimillion-dollar conglomerate actually did not have a cent to his name and owed $200,000 - a claim that was not disputed in court.

But there was money around. Mr Hemmes left Ms Boylett $2 million as a legacy.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

You don't actually need to preface your long article about how yes it is actually more difficult for millennials with a million words that are just boomer whining, but to do so with a boomer who was left $2 million from a corrupt company is a staggeringly funny self own.

Meanwhile the real scoop flies under the radar:

quote:

And for Gen X borrowers that bought 16 years ago in 2006 , he says mortgage repayments peaked at just over 30 per cent of the average household disposable income, when taking out the average-sized loan at the time.

He says Gen Xers have had it easier than both the baby boomers in 1990 and the millennials today.

"And they've seen their repayments fall as well as interest rates have fallen over the course of the last 15 years," Mr Coates says.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I sure hope Minns plans on committing to Dom's pokie reforms because the policy seems pretty good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

freebooter posted:

You don't actually need to preface your long article about how yes it is actually more difficult for millennials with a million words that are just boomer whining, but to do so with a boomer who was left $2 million from a corrupt company is a staggeringly funny self own.

Meanwhile the real scoop flies under the radar:

ABC have to do this to make sure the LNP idiots who sign their payslips think everything is going their way

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
ha the clubsnsw ceo got sacked for saying perrottet thinks with his catholic gut

the way the news medis reported it i thought he must have said something about throwing him to the lions or something

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Centusin posted:

I sure hope Minns plans on committing to Dom's pokie reforms because the policy seems pretty good.

A 50k interest free loan to upgrade a small venues machines to the latest models so they are compliant is basically a grant to the club to install the latest and greatest skinner boxes.

Every machine is cashless ready if it isn't cashless already. They have been in clubs for years.

And the 50k grant for "entertainment alternatives" is going to go towards hosting events like Melbourne cup and grand final instead of live music and artists/infrastructure supporting those things.

I worked in ops for a small* clubsNSW club for three years and they had plenty of fancy ways of taking grants like that and turning into events and rewards for high rollers.

*small classification includes clubs with up to 180 gaming machines.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Replace all the pokies with Metal Gear Solid 3 Pachinko machines.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Replace all the pokies with Metal Gear Solid 3

Agreed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Replace all the Pokies with the Metal Gear Solid torture scene.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh, such ragebait, the article is almost entirely about how Millennials have it worse by every actual measure and according to economists, but they have to use her quote for the title. Damnit ABC.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

~balance~

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Replace all the Pokies with the Metal Gear Solid hamburger scene.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Replace all the Pokies with the Metal Gear Solid scene where Big Boss invents Doritos

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Laserface posted:

A 50k interest free loan to upgrade a small venues machines to the latest models so they are compliant is basically a grant to the club to install the latest and greatest skinner boxes.

Every machine is cashless ready if it isn't cashless already. They have been in clubs for years.

And the 50k grant for "entertainment alternatives" is going to go towards hosting events like Melbourne cup and grand final instead of live music and artists/infrastructure supporting those things.

I worked in ops for a small* clubsNSW club for three years and they had plenty of fancy ways of taking grants like that and turning into events and rewards for high rollers.

*small classification includes clubs with up to 180 gaming machines.
In fairness 50,000 divided by 180 doesn't leave much on the table.

In funnier news despite the clubsnsw ceo being sacked for suggesting it, Perrottet has told 7:30, upon reflection, he is completely driven by his Catholic faith.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

When I saw the thumbnail for this it was too small on my phone for me to realise how old she was and I just thought she was an idiotic millenial. The age factor dramatically changes that headline.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1621416467148193793?t=fRcGCdiSVH0LTOaBFuqPBA&s=19

Cuntscuntscuntscuntscuntscuntscuntscunts

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Cool idea when ibuprofen is associated with risk of bleeds in lots of contexts so will force a gently caress tonne of people to the GP for ... A headache!

Edit: I'm not watching channel 9, maybe it's proposing packet size limits and drivers licence flashing that just makes it inconvenient chemist visits and it's just tough luck if you don't have a 24hr chemist on hand and the ability to get there with something simple like aforementioned headaches

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 7, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why are people overdosing on paracetamol?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Time to stock up on paracetamol before the new restrictions come in.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

JBP posted:

People have a tendency to stockpile it; and then they are loving idiots and try and use it as an impulse suicide method.

It’s probably going to be packet size and number restrictions.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

gonna be a rush on the 95 cent boxes of panimax

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

JBP posted:

Gonna guess it may have something to do with being unable to access the codeine containing pain meds without a script.

You would think they would be smart enough to maybe ease restrictions on the codeine meds instead of restricting panadol.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Not to be cynical but it's probably just the big pharmacy chains trying to stop the supermarkets undercutting them with the 50c packets of cheap store brand paracetamol.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nah it’s people trying to kill themselves and not realising that paracetamol is more likely to leave you in agony with a completely hosed liver than actually kill you outright.

The dosage guidelines for paracetamol have a massive safety buffer built into them, it’s really, really hard to accidentally overdose.

I’ve read into this in the past - paracetamol overdose tends to be a thing people do on impulse because they’re suicidal and have a ton of it in the house. The government wants to discourage the hoarding behaviour a lot of people have when it comes to painkillers (which became worse due to Covid).

This is also why Woolies for eg has always had very strict limits on how many packs of painkillers customers are allowed to buy, and you have to go to a pharmacy to buy the bigger pack sizes.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

The Lord Bude posted:

People have a tendency to stockpile it; and then they are loving idiots and try and use it as an impulse suicide method.

It’s probably going to be packet size and number restrictions.

Yeah when I was in the UK I tried to buy some packets of paracetamol but was stopped and had my age checked. Iirc there was a limit as to how much you could buy (this was long before Covid).

Also, I think it's easier to accidentally overdose on paracetamol than one might think. I went into hospital on Friday because I've been sick the past week, but it occurred to me while I was heading over that I may have accidentally taken too many. Not on purpose, more "I felt sick, took some paracetamol, slept a bit, forgot I'd taken paracetamol, took some more". It's very easy to do, especially if illness means you're waking up at odd hours or it's otherwise clouding your thoughts.

From an acquaintance who apparently knows these things: The worst thing about paracetamol overdose is the time lapse between taking it and dying is a lot longer than you'd think. Also, it's excruciatingly painful, so it's not just "you will die" it's also "it will hurt while you die".

:stare:

G-Spot Run posted:

Cool idea when ibuprofen is associated with risk of bleeds in lots of contexts so will force a gently caress tonne of people to the GP for ... A headache!

Edit: I'm not watching channel 9, maybe it's proposing packet size limits and drivers licence flashing that just makes it inconvenient chemist visits and it's just tough luck if you don't have a 24hr chemist on hand and the ability to get there with something simple like aforementioned headaches

I get what you're saying, though maybe it would be good for people with recurring issues like headaches to be directed to a doctor or emergency? Like, if it's a one-off, yeah that would be incredibly annoying, but there's definitely people out there who use paracetamol/ibuprofen far more than is normal and they may not realise that or think to see a GP.

(Yes, yes I know finding a bulk billing doctor is almost impossible, I'm more suggesting these over the counter meds could be covering up bigger problems in some people).

Edit: for those who didn't watch the video, the recommendations are 20-pill packets being reduced to 16 pills, and 100-pill packets reduced to 32. 100-pill packets will still be available through a pharmacist, but to buy them it has to be under pharmacist supervision. Oh, and they want supermarkets to limit purchases to 1 packet per transaction.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 7, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Don’t quote me on it because I don’t remember the actual figures but I’ve heard from doctors and pharmacists that the actual tolerable dosage of paracetamol for most adults is like 50% more to double what the packet says. It takes a big stuff up to overdose, not just being in a brain fog and taking an extra dose or 2. Slow release stuff works differently and makes it easier to accidentally have too much in your system and that’s why they already put more controls on those.

I feel like one pack a day limit at supermarkets is pretty reasonable - ideally you’d be able to buy one pack of paracetamol and one of ibuprofen though since these have different uses and a lot of folks keep both on hand. You don’t need 100s of paracetamol in your home. A 32pk is 4 days at max dose per day. If you’re regularly taking multiple doses of painkillers a day then you probably should be under closer medical supervision.

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
there have been nasty rumors spread in the past about paracetamol providing a guaranteed painless death (it doesn’t), but also paracetamol isnt perhaps as safe as we like to think.

NHS still says it is safe to give during pregnancy but there is growing concerns its not safe for prenatal development and may cause neurodevelopmental, reproductive and urogenital disorders.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41574-021-00553-7

the new (sept 2021) consensus is calling for more research to be done

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

If this is about suicide prevention a single box taken at once will probably gently caress you up for life.
if its a serious problem they should just be required to post the lifeline number and a blurb explaining how excruciating an overdose will be.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
my genetic legacy is the ability to gently caress up a public holiday, so extreme ymmv vibes, but i've had lots of inconveniently timed pain management experiences and i just feel bad for those similarly afflicted.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

cool biRd pics posted:

there have been nasty rumors spread in the past about paracetamol providing a guaranteed painless death (it doesn’t), but also paracetamol isnt perhaps as safe as we like to think.

NHS still says it is safe to give during pregnancy but there is growing concerns its not safe for prenatal development and may cause neurodevelopmental, reproductive and urogenital disorders.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41574-021-00553-7

the new (sept 2021) consensus is calling for more research to be done

Guess who's pregnant and been taking the stuff to the max this past week coz there's really not much else I can take with this blasted virus or the tonsilitis that took over after?!

... This gal. :dance: :gonk:

:sigh:

Interesting to know, though. :smith:

froglet fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 7, 2023

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cartoon posted:

In fairness 50,000 divided by 180 doesn't leave much on the table.

In funnier news despite the clubsnsw ceo being sacked for suggesting it, Perrottet has told 7:30, upon reflection, he is completely driven by his Catholic faith.

Most venues don't have many if any old machines that aren't compatible with cashless. The money will be spent bringing in new machines with more addictive games.

The old CRT based machines are probably the only ones that are outright not compatible but even those were hooked up the member rewards cards at my venue.

It'll depend how they qualify what can be upgraded vs replaced, and I bet Tabcorp and aristocrat will say that to meet the standards of *this* system, any machine older than 2005 for example won't meet criteria and need replacing.

I'm not arguing against cashless but if you think this is a community first, pokies second decision then lmao. It's going to mean every venue in the state will be upgrading machines to brand spankers skinner boxes with the latest hooks built in.

The only solution to the pokies problem is to pull them out of pubs and clubs. Anything else is a joke.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How nanny state do you have to get to limit the most basic medicines lol

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

froglet posted:

Guess who's pregnant and been taking the stuff to the max this past week coz there's really not much else I can take with this blasted virus or the tonsilitis that took over after?!

... This gal. :dance: :gonk:

:sigh:

Interesting to know, though. :smith:

Everything is risky and poorly understood in pregnancy because it's not ethical to test anything, not on mothers or on random embryos in a lab. Fever, virus, ibuprofen would all be some degree riskier ... For that matter, salad is recognised as a bigger risk than paracetamol. Try not to think about it too much :)

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I remember in uni one of the lecturers saying something like paracetamol would probably be a prescription only drug if it had to go through the same process that exists today for new drugs. And the same about people trying to OD on it, waking up hours later alive then their liver failing a few days later and dying in agony over the next week or so. I pretty much never bought paracetamol again after that and just stick to the proscribed ibuprofen doses for hangovers and headaches. But I'm also fortunate not to have any chronic pain currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

eh, a research team coming up with the recommendation to do more research is like the one outcome that is a minimum guarantee of statistical based research. I would truck on as normal - if you are concerned enough to read into these things than you were likely using the medication as sparingly as possible already.

My mum's an ER/ICU/HDU nurse and I was raised to know that suicide by paracetamol was an excruciating way to not* go. A favourite of teenage girls, as well as paracetmol pills being accessable and non-violent looking, they tend to want the call for help that comes with paracetamol (really long time between symptoms and death) but completely underestimate the excruciating in excruciating pain if they were aware of the pain in the first place.

* mostly not, but if you have taken enough, it will still kill you slowly and all the screaming in the world that you no longer want to die is not going to change that.

On the living conditions for a particular generation (or other demographic grouping), my go tos are expected life and incarceration rates. If you are having a relatively good life, you will live longer and not need to commit crimes that land you in goal (or live in a place that throws you in goal for otherwise reasonable actions). Aussie Aboriginals being a classic example that highlights this - having significantly lower life expectancy and higher incarceration rates (on average) than others living in the same community. They are getting the rough end of the stick. For me it cuts through a lot of the other stats that people bring out (savings, income, BMI, employment, education level achieved, etc) that imply the target population is not doing that one simple trick.

What's the expected life and incarceration rates for millennials versus gen x, gen z, boomers, etc? If you take Aussie Aboriginals out of the grouping (I read somewhere it has gone backwards since the 60's), what does it look like then?

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 7, 2023