Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Google Photos or Dropbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

withak posted:

Google Photos or Dropbox

OneDrive will also do the trick.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What's the best way to get all of the photos (a lot of them) from my iphone onto my windows computer?
I try to drag and drop but inevitably hit some kind of glitch that stops the transfer
and I am unable to pick up where I left off as seemingly random photos were transferred and apple insists on arbitrarily sorting things into random folders?
There are some apps that do this?

Using the Photos app on Windows and importing them is how you’re supposed to do this. Do not drag and drop photos from the phone.

You don’t have to send them to the cloud either.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Grumbles posted:

Hey captain clever I said luxury watches, which is a market apple takes a lot of its design cues/philosophy from (for better or for worse) - this idea that it's a tightly packed precision sealed machine that should only really be tinkered with by a professional. Which I don't think anyone in this thread will say is a good thing, but like they're taking clear cues from this idea that it's a luxury piece of precision engineering that it wants regular people to back off from messing with.

But to answer your question, no, luxury watches like rolexes or whatever are usually & famously automatic/self winding and don't use batteries, but need servicing as regularly as an iPhone and in any case you really don't want to open one up yourself.

:goonsay:

Don't get caught up in whatever you read. They make a quarter billion iPhones a year in mass production facilities all over the world. Rolex are made about a million a year in Switzerland, by hand, and are the corniest watches. There is nothing an iPhone has in common with a Rolex besides telling time. if you want an actual comparison to Rolex you'd get a Vertu.

Real heads use Audemars

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

wooger posted:

Apple broke 2 of my phones doing a battery swap over the years and had to give me a new one.

Other manufacturers have more serviceable phones with the same or better waterproof rating, it’s unrelated, but a different design challenge.

1. Yes that is a totally normal accepted risk for modern flagship phones, in fact it seems even better for the consumer in some cases (yet again)! Seems to be a trend eh?

2. Yeah sure but those phones are all a bear to use and feel like a college hobby project. People like Apple’s designs way more. And they always will.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What's the best way to get all of the photos (a lot of them) from my iphone onto my windows computer?
I try to drag and drop but inevitably hit some kind of glitch that stops the transfer
and I am unable to pick up where I left off as seemingly random photos were transferred and apple insists on arbitrarily sorting things into random folders?
There are some apps that do this?

Google photos.

Edit: super beaten to this my bad.

Also, in regards to battery chat, non remove able batteries also mean you get bigger battery capacity.

Either way, they aren’t going back to it being easily swappable , so the answer is deal with it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

Google photos.

Edit: super beaten to this my bad.

Also, in regards to battery chat, non remove able batteries also mean you get bigger battery capacity.

Either way, they aren’t going back to it being easily swappable , so the answer is deal with it.

The EU will force them, and nobody needs more battery life than an iPhone 13 mini. People will deal with it all right.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Google Photos or Dropbox

Alternative Amazon photos which gives you unlimited full quality photo storage if you have prime.

Be aware that with google photos they can reduce the quality of the photo.

quote:

Photos and videos are stored at a slightly reduced quality. Photos and videos backed up in Storage saver count toward your Google Account storage. Photos are compressed to save space. If a photo is larger than 16 MP, it'll be resized to 16 MP.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I like HEIC and Live Photo. Do third parties preserve Live Photo?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Duckman2008 posted:

They literally just redesigned the 14 to make it easier to swap batteries - screws instead of glue. Things are changing for the better slowly. Eventually they’ll get the idea of standardised modular batteries that you can purchase via reputable stores.

Making things out of hot glue is not a high-end manufacturing method.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

Google photos does

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

Amazon Photos supports both, no compression, unlimited photos with Prime. Slightly better at background uploading (even overnight uploads) than Google photos, from my experience, but the app isn’t as good.

Google photos supports both, compressed unless you have Google One or Gsuite or whatever.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 4, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I rather pay for iCloud/do Linux poo poo to get photos than use google for anything but search (worse by the day) but good to know.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I rather pay for iCloud/do Linux poo poo to get photos than use google for anything but search (worse by the day) but good to know.

Completely agree - plus I'm just not a big fan of compressing my library, especially for archival purposes.

I typically just tell people to pony up the $2 a month for more iCloud space - Google's Photos app isn't very good at background syncing, either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would pony up the $1 for a month of iCloud and install the iCloud app on windows, it will sync the original files to a local folder.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I noticed something cool today!

I acknowledge I've been an Apple stan or coomer or whatever term the youth use these days.

Splurged on the stupid AirPods Max, and I have an iPhone 14 Pro. Always-On Screen was iterated/stolen in the Apple way from Android after many years, but they put their attention to detail on it. When I use the little scrolly wheel / Magic Super Digital Crown on the Max to change volume, the phone Always-On feature handles the switch from 1 Hz upwards when I spin the Crown, and smoothly displays the volume change nicely on the left then instantly settles down to 1 Hz in a non-noticeable way.

Thanks Tim :smugdon:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I quite like not knowing a single thing about android and I commend Apple for doing it for us + improving it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Inner Light posted:

I noticed something cool today!

I acknowledge I've been an Apple stan or coomer or whatever term the youth use these days.

Splurged on the stupid AirPods Max, and I have an iPhone 14 Pro. Always-On Screen was iterated/stolen in the Apple way from Android after many years, but they put their attention to detail on it. When I use the little scrolly wheel / Magic Super Digital Crown on the Max to change volume, the phone Always-On feature handles the switch from 1 Hz upwards when I spin the Crown, and smoothly displays the volume change nicely on the left then instantly settles down to 1 Hz in a non-noticeable way.

Thanks Tim :smugdon:
$1800 well spent.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

OneDrive will not recode heic and livephoto.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I guess this is as good a thread as any: is there an AirTag keychain hanger where the AirTag doesn't fall out if a mouse sneezes in the same zipcode? Looking at you, original Apple silicone version.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

bolind posted:

I guess this is as good a thread as any: is there an AirTag keychain hanger where the AirTag doesn't fall out if a mouse sneezes in the same zipcode? Looking at you, original Apple silicone version.

I've been using the apple leather one since they AirTags dropped and I've never had a problem with it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

bolind posted:

The Belkin AirTag case is IMO the best one.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Belkin hangs off our dog’s collar 24/7. Works great.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How long does the battery last in an AirTag?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

About a year in my experience.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Buff Hardback posted:

The Belkin AirTag case is IMO the best one.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Vegetable posted:

The Belkin hangs off our dog’s collar 24/7. Works great.

:same:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This knockoff Belkin two for $8 I bought seems okay so far. The key ring was crappy though.

Ailun [2Pack] Hard PC Cover for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097QWFDTX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

the Belkin is so (relatively) cheap it feels weird to buy a knockoff

I've got two AirTags and a Chipolo Spot. One tag on my keys, one in my backpack, card in my wallet

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
From a price perspective Tile has been very competitive since airtags game out.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rick posted:

From a price perspective Tile has been very competitive since airtags game out.

Do they work everywhere?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I thought tile had to be within Bluetooth range of your phone?

I’ve got both and think Tile and it’s app is janky as hell. Plus, you have to have the location services set to always allowed, and it always shows the app is using your location 24/7 in the control panel. And if you turn it to “only allow while app is using it,” it spams the poo poo out of you with notifications to set it to always.

Yeah I know AirTags need location all the time too, but I’m not reminded of it every time I swipe down to get to the control panel.

Plus, the directional thing for AirTags rock. I don’t think Tile does that?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Still nuts to me that apple has replaceable batteries for its AirTags. I wonder why they did that instead of coming up with 5 reasons why they didn’t and why you should be happy it’s that way.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

buglord posted:

Still nuts to me that apple has replaceable batteries for its AirTags. I wonder why they did that instead of coming up with 5 reasons why they didn’t and why you should be happy it’s that way.
They could have just made it rechargeable. Instead they get brownie points for just replaceable.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
2-pack Belkin ordered, thanks everyone!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I thought tile had to be within Bluetooth range of your phone?

I’ve got both and think Tile and it’s app is janky as hell. Plus, you have to have the location services set to always allowed, and it always shows the app is using your location 24/7 in the control panel. And if you turn it to “only allow while app is using it,” it spams the poo poo out of you with notifications to set it to always.

Yeah I know AirTags need location all the time too, but I’m not reminded of it every time I swipe down to get to the control panel.

Plus, the directional thing for AirTags rock. I don’t think Tile does that?

Having used both:

Tile is not good enough because not enough people use a tile where it’ll ping it if you lose it. So it really only works if you lose whatever it is in your house or car.

AirTags are TOO good , which is great in that you’re likely to find your stuff, but not great in that it apparently is a really good tool for stalking people.

I’m not saying don’t use AirTags, I use them myself. I’ll be the first to admit that when they came out and there were concerns on tracking I was like “eh, other devices like tile have been internet and there haven’t been issues,” but yeah I think the reports show that it def is something that is unfortunately abused. And I legit don’t have an answer on fixing it tbh.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
[

Vegetable posted:

They could have just made it rechargeable. Instead they get brownie points for just replaceable.

IMO replaceable is better than rechargeable but non-replaceable

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 7, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I do think AirTags are strictly better than Tile but still have annoying flaws. Like how if I switch cars with my wife for the day, I both can’t track her keys AND get alerts that her keys are traveling with me.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I understand the reasoning, but I think it's annoying that only one person can track an AirTag. We have a remote control that disappeared enough times that I stuck an AirTag to it, but it can only be found by either my wife or myself. Same for our kid..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yep, not having AirTags tied to a family is pretty silly.