Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

BB2K posted:

This is a loving lie

I think it can get a bit like that on the shinkansen, Skyliner, green cars, etc. where there's basically an airlock between the seats and the door. Normal cars on normal trains aren't that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

The indoor heating is actually at comfortable levels, condolences on your weird bodies.

82F is not comfortable and don't try to claim it is with whatever weird goon necessity to be different is driving you.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

izakaya's rule

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

KidDynamite posted:

82F is not comfortable and don't try to claim it is with whatever weird goon necessity to be different is driving you.

82F is totally comfortable. Outside. In the shade during the day. In shorts. Or just at night. At night, 82F is amazing outside.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Wonton posted:

Kira yakiniku it’s in ginza , main branch in saga Kyushu
Looks good enough for me - thanks!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

If it's not 72 degrees F then it's wrong and needs to be fixed somehow

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Same except 82F

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wondering if I can get some feedback on our itinerary's feasibility, cause it's starting to get a little weird.

A couple things are bugging me:

- I'm not sure why we have the rental car the entire time. I guess it makes sense for Iya and Shodoshima, but there's a lot of days that are spent in the general Takamatsu area and at least one day where we're apparently planning on taking a taxi anyway. Can we get away with public transportation, or do we need a rental car in the Takamatsu (+Kotohira, Kannonji) area?
- Is it just me, or is our time in Takamatsu weirdly fragmented? The drive ends up being something like Takamatsu -> Imabari -> Iya -> Takamatsu -> Shodoshima -> Takamatsu. I didn't get a clear answer on why it was broken up like this, and I'm worried that most of our time is going to be spent driving around which would suck. How much of a problem would this be?

There's other stuff like a relatively short amount of time spent in Kotohira, and a whole two to three days spent on Shodoshima. I wonder if dad understands what exactly these places have to offer...

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

What exactly is the goal for your trip? That seems like a very strange itinerary to me. If I remember right it's your first time in Japan? Why are you visiting takamatsu in particular and not visiting all the regular tourist areas?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Can we get away with public transportation, or do we need a rental car in the Takamatsu (+Kotohira, Kannonji) area?
I've travelled around Shikoku with no car, but I didn't really have any fixed plans on sightseeing or whatever. A car will be way easier for what you're planning to do particularly if you have to haul luggage.

Pollyanna posted:

There's other stuff like a relatively short amount of time spent in Kotohira, and a whole two to three days spent on Shodoshima. I wonder if dad understands what exactly these places have to offer...
Your dad like those smol beans

Charles 2 of Spain fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 7, 2023

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would keep the rental car for the whole trip. Kotohira and Kannonji are pretty far out of town. And Shodoshima is much better with a car. Waiting for buses in the inaka is not the best use of your time.

Takamatsu is kind of a hub between those places so it's not that weird.

Edit: One day is more than enough for Shodoshima. There's not that much there.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

field balm posted:

What exactly is the goal for your trip? That seems like a very strange itinerary to me. If I remember right it's your first time in Japan? Why are you visiting takamatsu in particular and not visiting all the regular tourist areas?

2nd, they already went to Kyoto.

Yeah kotohira by train was a little far but not too bad, nice thing about takamatsu airport are the super precise bus boarding times which matches the corresponding flight. Take this bus for this flight and you have time to check in without being too bored in the airport.

If you have a train pass and have time in kansai, I would highly recommend swinging down to takamatsu for a bowl of udon. I don’t know what they do but the average udon is pretty good with some super duper tasty ones.

Definitely want a car outside takamatsu

Wonton fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 7, 2023

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I was just perusing Amazon Prime Video and saw the Tokyo Vice show.... and just loving lol at Ansel Elgort playing Adelstein.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Adelstein was going to play himself, but if he did the Yakuza would've put a hit out on him.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i remember when daniel radcliffe was attached to that

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

This looks awful. Are you getting paid to do this?

Sarcasm aside, this itinerary looks incredibly stressful. A lot of moving from place to place to place and driving here and then there and then another place. I see you staying in 6 different places in the first 7 days. That's bonkers.

It seems you could cut a lot of travel out of that trip pretty easily unless there are specific reasons you are doing things. For instance:

Day 1/2. Do you want to spend time in Tokyo/Osaka? If not, just take a plane from NRT > KIX/the other airport on day 1.

Then it looks like your go in a circle. You could probably combine a couple hotels so you aren't moving so much and spend more time doing things, even if that means driving around a tad more. Seems more enjoyable than moving from hotel to hotel to me.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

It looks like an absolute nightmare.

I love it.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah, I unironically want to get daily updates during this trip.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Shikoku is pretty small so it's actually not that bad; most of these places are within a few hours of each other.

My main objection would be that Shodoshima is barely worth one day, let alone 3. It's been a while since I've been there but there weren't many places to eat, and they were not really close to the tourist sites. I definitely wouldn't spend the night there.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I like naoshima, dining is limited. great art islands

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I travel very light and even to me changing hotels that often is bonkers. Can't imagine trying to do it with a group.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Virtue posted:

I travel very light and even to me changing hotels that often is bonkers. Can't imagine trying to do it with a group.

Yeah, coordinating all those hotel stays, checking in and out, dealing with the car etc. is both mentally and physically exhausting. Especially if in a group.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

As I understand your days in Iya are already booked.

I'd swap 3 days on Shodoshima for a daytrip to Megi-jima or Naoshima, and add in another day on Shimanami Kaido and/or a day at Chichibugahama, Matsuyama castle, or visiting me in Niihama ;)

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Any recommendations for a place where one can enjoy a nice city skyline view of Tokyo while having dinner? I've been to Yebisu Garden Place Tower before and on the top two floors they have several restaurants with great views. Budget is maximum around 15000 JPY.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

82F is totally comfortable. Outside. In the shade during the day. In shorts. Or just at night. At night, 82F is amazing outside.

And below like 50% humidity. This part is crucial.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Virtue posted:

Day 1
Land in seoul, check in 1030pm
Day 2
2 hour train to Osan AFB, lunch
3.5 hour train to Busan
Dinner in busan with
Day 3
ferry to Fukuoka canceled, take cheaper 3pm flight to Fukuoka, arrive downtown hotel 8pm
9pm wait half hour -8 degrees to eat in yatai
945pm wait 15 min at another yatai for ramen
Day 4
collect train pass in the morning go to Nagasaki
Dinner Kira honten. Send main luggage to Shikoku
Day 5
8am illegally ride nozomi train to yamaguchi, save 15 minutes to board the direct train towards matsue 8:15am. If I take kodama I arrive 9;20 am, no more express trains
Arrive tsuwano 1030am, walk around town and take pictures of Carp swimming in the sewers “Kyoto of the west says japan-guide.com”. Buy sake
14:30 pm continue on express train and get off at izumo
18:30pm check in izumo , almost every thing is closed, some stores open mike izumo star bucks for limited edition mug and beams japan. Buy sake.
Day 6
0500am wake up and look at sunrise and head to beach, nice sunrise, shrine grounds but breakfast 745am
Was about to call taxi to go to jr stationed but cancelled.
8:20 am ride bus, arrive 8;50am.
09:00 take express train towards tottori.
11:30 am arrive tottori, head toward sand dune, eat limited kaisen don next to sand dune
Walk around dunes
14:15 take bus back to Jr
Arrive 14:45 and do tottori souvenir shopping
15:00 take the privately held/shared train down south, stop at Sayo station but pay extra surcharge.
15:10 take the local train towards hayashino
16:00 pickup from jr to awesome ryokan
Shower change rest, walk around the dead yunago onsen town and enjoy its faded glory of overspending bubble economy.
19:00 all you can drink local sake. Order and extra Portion of crab and beef. Manager comes in ask for confirmation that we already have 1 portion crab each, are you sure??? Yes it’s loving good. Too much good food and #1 onsen ryokan food for me for now in Japan. Chef was top 50.
Day 7
09:00 breakfast
10:00 take ryokan shuttle to Okayama
11:30 arrive at small Okayama castle
13;00 go to garden next to it
14:00 go to kurashiki
16:30 take train back to Okayama
17:00 take a train to takamatsu
18:00 arrive and check in hotel, bags arrived! Already inside room
18:30 meet friend for dinner
20:00 at train station to send friend off home
Day 8
Morning udon run, eat some Chinese food and vegetables as well
14:00 trains to the mainland canceled due to winds
15:00 walked around town some more hoping for good news (train attendant was misleading and apprentice , just dumb)
16:00 went for a foot massage
17:30 massage therapists were sympathetic to us, recommended to book a highway bus. Even booked tickets for us. “No they don’t have phone numbers they are Chinese” paid at counter 3.5k yen per person
19:00 board bus towards Kobe. Dinner with HK friend in Osaka cancelled, reschedule to another night
22:00 arrive shin Kobe bus terminal
22:16 train to shin Osaka
23:05 checkin at Washington hotel shin Osaka , man what a god drat trashy salary man burial ground.
23:30 go to a mapo restaurant, nope no vegetables
Day 9
Morning run
12:00 at sister’s hotel lobby, she’s not ready so I wait. All her friends and their family traveling with them walk by me pity me. They are off to niseko and relaxing after drinking too much the night before.
14:30 ok her family is ready and we have to find a place that’s kid friendly.
15:15 go to a mall, it’s Christmas so all the dining is packed everywhere it’s bad.
16:30 I walk-in to a restaurant want to make a reservation later in the evening. Shop master was pissed I walked in during rest hours but relented when I mention reservation.
19:00 after walking around downtown and shops dinner with HK friend and his family who are also in town.
21:30 finish dinner and everyone goes home.
22:30 send bags to Tokyo hotel
Day 10
0730 checkout
0810 Shinkansen to shinagawa
11:35 arrive and switch to shinjuku
11:47 get out of restaurant and brisk walk towards restaurant to meet cousins flying into Tokyo

Afternoon stroll around yokohama.

Day 11-21 stuck in Tokyo because of new years , and have a chest cold, spent 1850 yen on and rapid test kid and just stayed in bed. Hilariously walked around aoyama without a car and several people went out of town

Yeah crazy trip. If I had a 14 day pass I would have gone back to kansai and Nagoya

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

cool

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

field balm posted:

Wonton posted:

2nd, they already went to Kyoto.

This is not our first time. We’ve previously been to Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, and a couple days in Osaka.

The reason for Takamatsu is that when my dad originally proposed going to Japan again, I wanted to check out a less commonly visited part of the country, hence Shikoku. My initial basic proposal was to tour the Seto inland sea.

I've travelled around Shikoku with no car, but I didn't really have any fixed plans on sightseeing or whatever. A car will be way easier for what you're planning to do particularly if you have to haul luggage.

We probably will have to haul luggage, yeah. Sounds like a car is still worth getting, so I guess it’s fine.

quote:

Your dad like those smol beans

More like those smolives :v:

LyonsLions posted:

I would keep the rental car for the whole trip. Kotohira and Kannonji are pretty far out of town. And Shodoshima is much better with a car. Waiting for buses in the inaka is not the best use of your time.

Takamatsu is kind of a hub between those places so it's not that weird.

Edit: One day is more than enough for Shodoshima. There's not that much there.

Gotcha, then the car is reasonable enough. Is parking difficult to find in the greater Takamatsu area?

Agreed on Shodoshima.

Wonton posted:

Yeah kotohira by train was a little far but not too bad, nice thing about takamatsu airport are the super precise bus boarding times which matches the corresponding flight. Take this bus for this flight and you have time to check in without being too bored in the airport.

How much time did you spend in Kotohira, and what cool stuff did you find? Did yo or train back to Takamatsu?

Waltzing Along posted:

Wasn’t me who made the itinerary! I claim no ownership of it :v:

quote:

Sarcasm aside, this itinerary looks incredibly stressful. A lot of moving from place to place to place and driving here and then there and then another place. I see you staying in 6 different places in the first 7 days. That's bonkers.

Yeah I really don’t want my time spent in Japan to be mostly driving around in a car. I did enough of that poo poo as a kid.

I also noticed the almost frantic hotel switching. I really don’t like that and would vastly prefer to only change them 2-3 times max.

quote:

It seems you could cut a lot of travel out of that trip pretty easily unless there are specific reasons you are doing things. For instance:

Day 1/2. Do you want to spend time in Tokyo/Osaka? If not, just take a plane from NRT > KIX/the other airport on day 1.

To clarify, we are flying into KIX and flying out of TAK.

quote:

Then it looks like your go in a circle.

Yeah, originally I proposed going in a circle around the inland sea. But dad wants to do something very, very specific and the places he wants to hit up are very far from that. Previously we were going to be in Wakayama instead for the Kumano Kodo, but we ended up missing the boat and it’s all booked up.

quote:

You could probably combine a couple hotels so you aren't moving so much and spend more time doing things, even if that means driving around a tad more. Seems more enjoyable than moving from hotel to hotel to me.

Yeah, I want to collapse the number of hotels. This sounds like a lot of sprinting around which is a godawful way to travel.

Mister Chief posted:

It looks like an absolute nightmare.

I love it.

That’s Pollyanna family trips for ya!!!

Yeah, I unironically want to get daily updates during this trip.

I’m going to try and get a photo of my dad in the pilgrim getup, complete with hat.

LyonsLions posted:

Shikoku is pretty small so it's actually not that bad; most of these places are within a few hours of each other.

My main objection would be that Shodoshima is barely worth one day, let alone 3. It's been a while since I've been there but there weren't many places to eat, and they were not really close to the tourist sites. I definitely wouldn't spend the night there.

I mean even a few hours is kind of annoying :(

I honestly don’t know what Shodoshima could have as an attraction that merits 3 loving days. Dad hasn’t done much research or expressed interest in anything other than temple pilgrimages and Iya. (To be fair neither have I, cause I’ve been busy with loving like everything else in life.)

Wonton posted:

I like naoshima, dining is limited. great art islands

I wanna hit up the art islands, dad’s very lukewarm on the idea though. Starting to want to stamp my feet over it.

Virtue posted:

Busy Bee posted:

Yeah, coordinating all those hotel stays, checking in and out, dealing with the car etc. is both mentally and physically exhausting. Especially if in a group.

I’m worried that he’s doing the classic “try and experience everything and compromise the whole trip as a result” mistake. I would vastly prefer a focused experience on a few key items.

peanut posted:

As I understand your days in Iya are already booked.

They are, yes. Unfortunately they’re right in the middle of the trip - arrive in KIX, 4 days, then 1 day spent driving to and checking out Iya, staying 1 day entirely in Iya, then 1 day driving out of Iya, then 5 days, then leave from TAK.

quote:

I'd swap 3 days on Shodoshima for a daytrip to Megi-jima or Naoshima, and add in another day on Shimanami Kaido and/or a day at Chichibugahama, Matsuyama castle, or visiting me in Niihama ;)

Yeah, I’m going to propose ditching Shodoshima. We’ve been focusing on securing lodging and it just doesn’t make sense to do that before having a good idea of the flow of our trip, which implies knowing where we’re going and when.

I’m actually rather sad that he isn’t very interested in Shimanami, because that’s part of the reason I suggested Shikoku - he’s a cyclist and a hobby photographer, and I thought he’d be all over it. But he’s just obsessed with the pilgrimages instead. :sigh: Teaches me to try and cater to someone.

And yeah, I want to spend more time in the general Imabari area, especially if we can get a goonmeet going! If people are interested, what does end of March/beginning of April look like?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also I’m curious about Kurashiki since it’s on the way between KIX and Takamatsu. I’ve heard it’s a nice city, what kinda things are there to see?

If it up to me, the trip would basically be:

- Takamatsu
- Daikoji -> Unpenji walk
- Kotohira
- Imabari
- Shimanami
- Onomichi
- Kurashiki (maybe even first?)
- Takamatsu, to fly out

And weave Iya in somehow.

Also, goons: about how much of one day would you expect the following activities to take up?

- Ritsurin Garden
- Walking from Negoroji to Shiromineji (~3hrs, but might need a decent amount of rest afterwards)
- Kotohira
- Shimanami (+ the islands?)
- Onomichi
- Art islands

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 7, 2023

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So general Japan question: I’m spending two weeks with friends in July in Japan, four of the five of us have been to Japan to do the highlight Top 10s before (Tokyo Nara Kyoto Osaka etc). We’re going to go to Tokyo for five days to unjetlag, then take one day for the Fuji hike (whichever of day 3-4-5 has better weather).

Now none of us have really strong convictions on what else is a Must Do, everyone is easygoing and is just happy to hang out and eat Japanese food. We want to go climbing or bouldering for a day or two, but don’t care where and it looks like there are plenty of options.

We’re wondering if any of the outdoors parks are particularly worth it in July, or if it’s mostly forest and rolling hills that are largely indistinguishable from going to Vermont or Jura? We all like the outdoors (well, 4 of us do) but if it’s hot and humid as hell and we’re wandering in a forest trail following a steam - that’s nice but not really worth flying halfway across the world for, like Yoshio Kumano NP. I also google street viewed around a lot and most of the countryside villages look like lovely 1970s construction. Is there some equivalent area to say, Alpine Italy, where you can drive around and pick any village at random and it is amazing and traditional and someone pours you house wine until you collapse on the table?

I’ve looked at AllTrails and the DK guidebook, but the DK guidebook is very centered on cities, and AllTrails has an overwhelming number of itineraries and anything under 1500m will probably be miserably hot in late July.

Basically I’m wondering: natural beauty or small-ish towns, central-ish Honshu, traditional architecture, car or train access, quintessentially Japanese, like a small town version of Nara? Most stuff I find online is very focused on the "first 2-3 week trip to Japan: what to do" and then it’s harder to find what the amazing stuff is further down the list. Otherwise we just end up like Pollyanna and her dad and wing it and spend all our time going from cat island to rabbit island to snake island and etc.

On the other hand since no one really cares where we go, nearly any choice will be fine, except hiking in a nondescript forest in 32 degree 70% humidity weather.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In your situation I'd head up to Takayama and Matsumoto. There are lots of mountain parks around there, this one's been recommended to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamik%C5%8Dchi

Should also be a bit less of a furnace up there.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Parking isn't going to be a problem pretty much any of the places you are going in Shikoku.

Pollyanna posted:

Also, goons: about how much of one day would you expect the following activities to take up?

- Ritsurin Garden
- Walking from Negoroji to Shiromineji (~3hrs, but might need a decent amount of rest afterwards)
- Kotohira

Ritsurin - 1-2 hours, it's not that big

Walking from Negoroji to Shiromineji - I believe these are the Goshikidai temples? They're about 15 minutes apart by car. I think they're worth seeing but not necessarily worth walking to; there's really nothing to see in between them. I would suggest walking between Yashima-ji and Yakkuri-ji as a more interesting walk. And you can take the cable car up to Yakkuri-ji if you get sick of climbing mountains.

Kotohira - if you're going all the way to the top, you'll want 2-3 hours, including time to rest after.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LyonsLions posted:

Ritsurin - 1-2 hours, it's not that big

quote:

Kotohira - if you're going all the way to the top, you'll want 2-3 hours, including time to rest after.

Gotcha, thanks.

quote:

Walking from Negoroji to Shiromineji - I believe these are the Goshikidai temples? They're about 15 minutes apart by car. I think they're worth seeing but not necessarily worth walking to; there's really nothing to see in between them.

Those are the ones. Yeah, I’m not impressed by the walk, and I don’t think it’s gonna go the way he thinks it will. But this is what he wants to do, and I’m not going to deprive him of that.

quote:

I would suggest walking between Yashima-ji and Yakkuri-ji as a more interesting walk. And you can take the cable car up to Yakkuri-ji if you get sick of climbing mountains.

I can propose that as an alternative, sure.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My favorites 88 temples are Unpenji, Zentsuji (Kagawa), Chikurinji (Kochi), Ishiteji, Yokomineji, and Maegamiji (Ehime). Yokomineji requires walking up a mountain which probably appeals to your dad…

Sorry Tokushima!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sendai is cool but seems more idk serious than every major city we've been too. could be that we're in Aoba and haven't out of it though.

Had one of those excellent Japan experiences last night. went out with intentions for eating at one place, get told res only( i was going to call in the morning but wife said let's play it by ear on time), try to find a second place with no luck, and pick a third place kinda randomly and on vibes. walk into an empty restaurant that has a waitress and a chef that speak no english proceed to have a loving amazing meal.

highlight:

this risotto the chef recommended we get cooked in the shell of the scallop we had just ordered.

Japan really knocks it out of the park with these experiences. Unlike America were you will end up with Sysco trash if you have to go to a third choice.

wife met some americans at taito station while i was playing initial d. they had actually been in hokkaido and hakodate along with us and have overlap in osaka so we may grab dinner with them. i just need to look up splitting check terms.

if you're here reveal yourself!

edit: fixed a sentence

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 8, 2023

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Saladman posted:

So general Japan question: I’m spending two weeks with friends in July in Japan, four of the five of us have been to Japan to do the highlight Top 10s before (Tokyo Nara Kyoto Osaka etc). We’re going to go to Tokyo for five days to unjetlag, then take one day for the Fuji hike (whichever of day 3-4-5 has better weather).

Now none of us have really strong convictions on what else is a Must Do, everyone is easygoing and is just happy to hang out and eat Japanese food. We want to go climbing or bouldering for a day or two, but don’t care where and it looks like there are plenty of options.

We’re wondering if any of the outdoors parks are particularly worth it in July, or if it’s mostly forest and rolling hills that are largely indistinguishable from going to Vermont or Jura? We all like the outdoors (well, 4 of us do) but if it’s hot and humid as hell and we’re wandering in a forest trail following a steam - that’s nice but not really worth flying halfway across the world for, like Yoshio Kumano NP. I also google street viewed around a lot and most of the countryside villages look like lovely 1970s construction. Is there some equivalent area to say, Alpine Italy, where you can drive around and pick any village at random and it is amazing and traditional and someone pours you house wine until you collapse on the table?

I’ve looked at AllTrails and the DK guidebook, but the DK guidebook is very centered on cities, and AllTrails has an overwhelming number of itineraries and anything under 1500m will probably be miserably hot in late July.

Basically I’m wondering: natural beauty or small-ish towns, central-ish Honshu, traditional architecture, car or train access, quintessentially Japanese, like a small town version of Nara? Most stuff I find online is very focused on the "first 2-3 week trip to Japan: what to do" and then it’s harder to find what the amazing stuff is further down the list. Otherwise we just end up like Pollyanna and her dad and wing it and spend all our time going from cat island to rabbit island to snake island and etc.

On the other hand since no one really cares where we go, nearly any choice will be fine, except hiking in a nondescript forest in 32 degree 70% humidity weather.

You guys gonna be there last weekend of July? Come with me to Fuji Rock :D

Actually, a trip to Kamikochi sounds right up your guys' alley: https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/peaks/171005.html

peanut posted:

Yooo can I come visit

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Hey Saladman,thanks for the Italian travel advice.

If you guys are used to Europe or Vermont weather, Tokyo during July is going to be super miserable and humid because of weak AC.

The winding jet lag 5 day is easy enough, just stay mostly indoors and hang out in the evening. 5 lakes is fun but will be busy busy. Heck Tokyo is getting busier month after month and I just saw a few flag waving Thai tour groups in shinjuku. And hints of PRC rolling suit case hordes.

Instead of being in the golden triangle, I propose going to Toyama and Kurobe gorge. That’s my next destination and barely international tourists go there yet (well starting more because of hokuriku pass). Yeah it’s pretty much that alpine forest look but you can stay in a nice ryokan and send bags to and from your destination for cheap.

You guys can still go to Osaka and Kyoto by thunderbird and back to Tokyo to fly out.

The other recommendation is tohoku or Hokkaido. Just rent a car after taking a regional JR pass. The national parks and lakes have nice ryokans for you guys to stay

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

KidDynamite posted:

Had one of those excellent Japan experiences last night. went out with intentions for eating at one place, get told res only( i was going to call in the morning but wife said let's play it by ear on time), try to find a second place with no luck, and pick a third place kinda randomly and on vibes. walk into an empty restaurant that has a waitress and a chef that speak no japanese proceed to have a loving amazing meal.
This is why you don't really need anything except Google Maps for restaurant recommendations unless it's for some niche food you want to try. Chances are wherever you eat it's going to be pretty good.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This is why you don't really need anything except Google Maps for restaurant recommendations unless it's for some niche food you want to try. Chances are wherever you eat it's going to be pretty good.

yeah it's like i forget this realization until it happens again. it's probably america brain poisoning were everything needs to be vetted before hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I love people from Iowa who have never left the state going to Japan asking how to reserve a 400 dollar sushi dinner.