Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably should note the AoE melee combo needs 60 and not 50 to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Aphrodite posted:

girl dick energy posted:

My girlfriend's new to XIV and is intrigued but a little intimidated by Red Mage, so I made a quick three-part guide for her, thought I might as well share it here, too.
You're right, I'll fix that and add it to the previous post.

Edit: And fixed.

barclayed posted:

as someone who’s had RDM unlocked since June but hasn’t tried it yet because it looks scarily complicated, thank you!!
Happy to help. RDM is very fun but extremely intimidating for a job that starts at 50.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 30, 2023

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
There's also Wesk Alber's guide for RDM, which is the gold standard for understanding the basics of any job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZtMIKhpuHY

Selane
May 19, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

For the love of God, this. This was by far the most common mistake I made when i was new to red mage.

“Aww yeah, big damage time!”
*combo craps out two thirds of the way through as I stand there looking like an idiot *

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Saying this will mark me as a boring fun-hater, but it's worth noting that since Endwalker, Engagement does the same damage as Displacement and won't make you accidentally backflip off the arena

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Saying this will mark me as a boring fun-hater, but it's worth noting that since Endwalker, Engagement does the same damage as Displacement and won't make you accidentally backflip off the arena

But... ranged spells... at melee range? How does that work?

(Sarcastic BTW, I have the same issue on my Bard where I hang out in left field instead of where the healer's targeting. Even had a "you don't pay my sub" moment about it back in the day before I understood what was going on.)

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 30, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Qwertycoatl posted:

This is true. If I can find a better way to phrase it, I might change how I describe Engagement.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Could always just go "If you're scared of backflipping off the arena, use this instead; same damage, no self-yeet"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The doctors said one more backflip could kill you, but your sword cries for blood.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Always backflip.

You might die, but you'll die with honour.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Or you could do no backflips and have to stand still for 2.5 seconds at a time like a REAL mage

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

girl dick energy posted:

This is true. If I can find a better way to phrase it, I might change how I describe Engagement.
I'd swap Engagement and Displacement in importance. Displacement is "Engagement but it also moves you back" rather than Engagement being "Displacement but it doesn't move you," if that makes sense.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

My girlfriend's new to XIV and is intrigued but a little intimidated by Red Mage, so I made a quick three-part guide for her, thought I might as well share it here, too.

RDM is a job that does look daunting because of the various different spells, but is surprisingly straightforward in practice and this short guide does a great job at showing that, well done.

Neo_Crimson posted:

There's also Wesk Alber's guide for RDM, which is the gold standard for understanding the basics of any job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZtMIKhpuHY
This also cannot be understated: WeskAlber's guides are fantastic for anyone struggling to figure out how a job works, especially when picking an expansion job that starts with a bunch of skills.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I feel like I'm not doing well enough at max-level crafting and there must be something I'm missing. I mean, I've got all the best crafting gear and I'm in the process of overmelding it, I eat high-level food and chug a +CP medicine before I start, and still it's a miracle when a master recipe has more than a fifteen percent chance of HQ. Is that... normal? Am I just supposed to gently caress up most of the time?

Are there any good max-level crafting tutorials that I can look at? I'd prefer something I can read to something I have to watch, but a video is better than wasting another handful of bayberries.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I generally need at least some HQ materials when I'm doing 3* crafts. I'm no guru but that should get you there.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, are you using HQ materials when possible? Those are hugely important for quality.

What specific issues are you having? Running out of CP? Running out of durability?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Picayune posted:

I feel like I'm not doing well enough at max-level crafting and there must be something I'm missing. I mean, I've got all the best crafting gear and I'm in the process of overmelding it, I eat high-level food and chug a +CP medicine before I start, and still it's a miracle when a master recipe has more than a fifteen percent chance of HQ. Is that... normal? Am I just supposed to gently caress up most of the time?

Are there any good max-level crafting tutorials that I can look at? I'd prefer something I can read to something I have to watch, but a video is better than wasting another handful of bayberries.
As mentioned, HQ materials will make up for some of the quality you need. On 70 durability crafts I think getting to 10-11k quality is pretty easy but it's like 13.5k to get 100% HQ, so HQ materials are the way to make up that gap.

Random tip I'll throw out since you didn't mention specific issues: Manipulation and Waste Not (II) stack. Having both up with Innovation and then using Preparatory Touch is often the easiest way to build up quality and Inner Quiet stacks.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I'm talking about making the HQ materials to begin with - crafting zoisites and bayberry cloth and things like that from the raw materials I've gathered. By the time I run out of CPs my quality is usually around fifteen to twenty percent. It sounds like my problem is not knowing what order to use my skills in, or what skills are worth using.

I've tried looking for crafting tutorials and I haven't found anything really helpful. Pretty much everything I find is either a beginner's guide or a leveling guide, and that's not what I need.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Not sure how much it'll help, but this is what I do when I'm bulk crafting. 100% HQ even with bad procs.

code:
/ac "Muscle Memory" <wait.3>
/ac Manipulation <wait.2>
/ac Veneration <wait.2>
/ac "Waste Not II" <wait.2>
/ac Groundwork <wait.3>
/ac "Careful Synthesis" <wait.3>
/ac Innovation <wait.2>
/ac "Basic Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Standard Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Advanced Touch" <wait.3>

/ac "Waste Not" <wait.2>
/ac Innovation <wait.2>
/ac "Tricks of the Trade" <wait.3>
/ac "Great Strides" <wait.2>
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <wait.3>
/ac "Basic Synthesis" <wait.3>
/ac "Basic Synthesis" <wait.3>
This was with the pactmaker's stuff, mostly sloppily overmelded (except for tools). I don't have that set any more, but I probably had about 3700 craft/control, and 550 CP or so unbuffed. Now I'm sitting at 3961/3864/573. Then HQ Tsai tou Vounou with an HQ Cunning Draught.

The gist of it is I use a muscle memory and knock out most of the progress right off the bat with Veneration. I like using Muscle Memory as an opener, because I feel getting quality is easier.

Then I use a bunch basic/standard/advanced touches while using manipulation and/or waste not. When both effects are active, the touches don't deplete any durability. I finish off with a big Byregot's and some basic synth to finish.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 31, 2023

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The interface is a bit janky but Teamcraft lets you see crafting rotations other people have made, and experiment with making your own https://ffxivteamcraft.com/community-rotations

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
That sounds like there's some fundamental error in what skills you're using, yes.

If you want to figure it out for yourself then the basic rules for high-end crafting are:
1: Always open with Muscle Memory
2: Next, put up Manipulation and usually Waste Not 2. Generally prefer them over Master's Mend.
3: Do all other synthesis increases under Veneration. Favor Groundwork, then whatever gets you close to 100%
4: Do quality increases under Innovation. Favor Preparatory Touch, but finish with Great Strides + Byregot's Blessing.
5: Finish with a minimal Synthesis.

However, in practice what everyone does is use a set of standardized macro sequences. Manual crafting is usually only used for Expert Crafts, where you absolutely have to respond to an expanded set of quality procs to succeed. Teamcraft is the general crafting site and their guides section has a 6.3 Endgame Crafting Rotations guide which covers the current rotations, as well as recommended gear sets, breakpoints, etc.

You can also go to https://ffxivteamcraft.com/simulator, enter your stats (or have them saved), press the "Rotation finder" button on the left and pick an appropriate community rotation. For HQing something like Bayberry Cloth I currently use one that gives me the following two macros

code:
/ac "Muscle Memory" <wait.3>
/ac "Waste Not II" <wait.2>
/ac Veneration <wait.2>
/ac Groundwork <wait.3>
/ac Innovation <wait.2>
/ac "Preparatory Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Master's Mend" <wait.3>
/ac Innovation <wait.2>
/echo Macro #1 finished <se.1>
code:
/ac "Great Strides" <wait.2>
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <wait.3>
/echo Craft finished <se.2>
My gear is still a patch out of date, if you're using the 6.3 stuff then you'd probably get a somewhat shorter macro (or at least not have to eat HQ Calamaris and CP Draughts).

E: With macro crafting you generally end up with one macro for 70 durability crafts and one macro for 35 durability crafts. It is expected that you will need 2-3 HQ ingredients to successfully HQ 70 durability crafts from the current patch. 40 durability crafts should be HQable at close to minimum stats if you have melded to near your CP cap, which you definitely should.

E2: I should perhaps add that technically it's more efficient to use Prudent Touch than Waste Not + Preparatory Touch to build quality ... but it's a very small difference and so much slower that I really don't recommend it. If you want to craft manually then relying on Prudents has the benefit of more opportunities for Tricks of the Trade and other procs so I do use it for Expert Crafts where those really matter.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 31, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I manually craft with a somewhat different rotation, but this is all good advice. The general principle of "use Muscle Memory + Veneration Groundwork for big early progress, Venerated progress actions until you're within one action of finishing, then switch to Innovation and increase quality + build IQ stacks until you can Inno + Strides + Byregot to 100%, then finish" is a good framework.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I finally got over my raid anxiety and started queing for the roulette while also making my way through the HW ones before moving on and I can't believe I slept on them so long - if anyone else is reading this who's been avoiding them then you really shouldn't worry about them, just press your buttons and try and avoid the goo and you'll be fine!

girl dick energy posted:

this is great, I bounced of RDM shortly after unlocking it because it just seemed too complicated to deal with but it's really really not and it's fast becoming my new main - it's just so drat fun and there's always something to do with it!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Oh, terrific! Thanks, everyone - that's the kind of crafting information I was looking for and had trouble finding. I'll have to edit my hotbars.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So to reiterate the importance of RDM gauge balance if your balance is way off like say 19/82 and you use manafication it's won't give you the full 50 just enough to top off the gauge that's almost full while filling up the other the same amount and gently caress up your melee combo.

Granted this is a niche scenario that should almost surely never happen and I certainly did not just experience this firsthand.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
out of curiosity, what's it like playing solo as a tank or healer?

I started as an archer and have switched to dragoon, not sure how the game works if you're playing alone and you're not DPS. Also the game is incredibly easy so far to the extent that tank/healer doesn't even seem like a necessary role outside of dungeons. Is it the case that people don't really play as them solo except to level up the jobs?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Paperhouse posted:

out of curiosity, what's it like playing solo as a tank or healer?

I started as an archer and have switched to dragoon, not sure how the game works if you're playing alone and you're not DPS. Also the game is incredibly easy so far to the extent that tank/healer doesn't even seem like a necessary role outside of dungeons. Is it the case that people don't really play as them solo except to level up the jobs?

Honestly, in solo "out in the world" questing play, they're not that different from a DPS class; they kill things a bit slower and are far harder to kill. That's all there really is to it. If you find a FATE that involves killing a lot of things, you're at less risk as a tank if you gather up 17 things at once and aoe them all down, while a healer can just go on like an energizer bunny, keeping their own health topped off instead of needing to take any breaks between chain-pulling out in the world to let their health regen. But, of course, the DPS classes will put out more raw damage, at the cost of being squishier.

People play all sorts of classes solo through the MSQ. It all depends on what class they find enjoyable, what they want to play as, how they're playing the character if they're getting into an in-character mindset. Because the character I rolled was an old character of mine, I know his fighting style already; at first opportunity, I grabbed Rogue and Ninja has been that character's "Main" Job ever since. But had I decided to use another character from my roster, my main job may have been Thaumaturge, or Warrior, or White Mage... this is one of those games where everyone except the Elite of the Elite will tell you that every class is viable, pretty much no matter what you're doing.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
A lot of it's just finding a class playstyle that you enjoy, really. That said, Warrior is god tier in basically all the side content - its combination of frequent and high burst damage from Inner Release and Fell Cleave and massive self-healing mean that it's an unstoppable beast for solo or non-standard content like Deep Dungeons or Eureka/Bozja. Even if you don't plan on playing tank in main content, it's worth having a WAR in your pocket to pull out for when you want to do side content. Its self-healing also means it's the easiest tank to play by far since you legitimately don't need a healer at all for dungeons, so it's great for learning how to tank properly and get used to doing wall-to-wall pulls (which is what will be expected of you in higher-level roulettes).

In regards to finding a class you enjoy, Palace of the Dead is a vital tool thanks to its independent levelling system. Once you beat the first 50 floors, you can start a run at floor 51 where any class you enter with will immediately be boosted to level 60 while you're inside the dungeon. This means that as long as you have a class at level 30 with the job stone, you can head into PotD and preview how that class will play with a more complete kit at level 60.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

it's also just an awful lot of fun when you get comfortable with the big pulls and are standing in the middle of a huge mob spinning your axe and are essentially invincible

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I'd advise trying at least one job in each role, just to see if you like it. Marauder/Warrior is a good pick for tanking, because it's fun as hell, although Gladiator/Paladin is pretty decent too; similarly, either of the level-1-start healer jobs are fine for getting a taste of multiplayer healing. My only advice is to try and get some experience with every role in a class that starts at level 1 before you take the higher-level-start jobs, just to make sure you develop a basic sense of the role before you get involved with higher-level content. People who jump straight into Gunbreaker without knowing how to tank, or Sage without knowing how to heal, can get into some serious trouble in higher-level content that assumes some experience.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Sometimes quests will put you in a "solo duty" where you're in a scripted instanced fight by yourself and party members can't join you. During these duties you get a buff which effectively covers your roles weak points, so if you're a healer you get a damage boost, if you're a dps you get some passive health regeneration etc.

This means that all solo msq content is perfectly doable with any job. The roles really only matter in content designed for groups.

Edit: The buff is called "Brilliant Conviction" https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Brilliant_Conviction

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

It's only really an issue in certain duties when doing solo stuff as healer, and that's because the devs have a thing for making unwinnable fight "gently caress you, lose" triggers linked to enemy HP rather than, like, time and even with the damage boost healer DPSing is just really boring. Thankfully this doesn't come up often, it's just obnoxious when it does.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I remember I think the lv50 WHM solo duty where you have to keep a tree alive being a huge pain in the rear end but mercifully those missions are far and few between

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Healer solo duties can be a pain because you don't get party frames so it can be hard to keep track of your allies health etc. I know there's one scholar quest that's particularly guilty of being bad for this.

But this is specifically a problem in duties designed for healers, playing a healer in a duty designed for any job is fine because you get the big damage buff.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, healing in solo duties can be janky. Healing non-party NPCs can be awkward, especially on controller where you can't just click on them, as you will probably need to tab through the enemies too before you get to the NPCs, unlike with party members where you can tab through party members exclusively.

Really, they should go back to those and re-work them to put in the NPCs in your party, like with Duty Support/Trusts, but who knows how hard that is on the backend.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah the fact that things you need to keep alive in job quests don't get added to your party list is really frustrating (I have failed a duty because I could not physically see that an NPC was dying until he was nearly dead and the enemy healthbars kept getting in the way when I tried to target him), but that's not a general solo duty issue, it's specifically an issue with healer job quests having a weird bad UI oversight.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

There's at least one scholar job quest where you fail if you don't esuna a debuff on an ally which is some real bullshit.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mainwaring posted:

There's at least one scholar job quest where you fail if you don't esuna a debuff on an ally which is some real bullshit.

One of the AST duties was like this too. And you can't see the debuffs unless you actually target the ally, just focus targeting them isn't enough.

I did almost all the MSQ duties on Warrior and most of them were pretty easy. Tank jobs are easy mode for FATEs solo out in the world, too, since you can just pull everything

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I played through the whole MSQ almost exclusively as a WAR and absolutely breezed through it. I think WAR is one of those classes that the higher level you are the easier it gets becuase you have so many options for mitigations and self heals - it rules!

As an aside I did think it was pretty interesting how later in the MSQ they start doing things where you're controlling a different scion and you get a very simplified version of their job to play to complete a quest almost as a taster to those who barely branch out of their starting class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I've been playing WHM exclusively for the MSQ since like level 35 or so and I'm currently deep in the Shadowbringers patch content and have had very little friction from playing the story as a healer. Play the jobs you find interesting and fun, they're all viable.