Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have a confession and an apology to make.

I may or may not have sparked off this entire Gshade thing.

You did good work, sometimes someone just has to ask the right questions to get things moving.

Out of curiosity what was the wasting time FAQ entry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

You did good work, sometimes someone just has to ask the right questions to get things moving.

Out of curiosity what was the wasting time FAQ entry?

Before reading any further, note that:

Minor updates (x.x.y) do not disable any functionality and do not force updates in any way until a major update is available.

We have a minimum period of 30 days between major updates (y.y.x) as a matter of policy, outside of emergency releases for security fixes or other similar pressing issues.

If you continue reading further, a certain red Lalafell named Ringo Roadagain highly recommends that you read the following text in the voice of René Zagger as Emet Selch.

You have come here seeking knowledge of the bad times, and knowledge you will find. In the ages before GShade, the Final Fantasy XIV community was divided.

Some used the latest version of ReShade 3 with only the latest shaders.
Others used the latest version of ReShade 3 with older shaders.
Others still used very old versions of ReShade with hand-modified shaders and textures which were changed but continued to use default file names.
Others yet used a fork of ReShade called Stormshade which frequently went out of sync with ReShade and shader updates.
Others also used a copy of ReShade 3.4 issued by the creator of Angelite, often referred to as the Angelite build itself.
Others used a fork of ReShade called Moogleshade which also suffered from the default texture replacement issue.
Others adapted when ReShade 4 was released, but many feared the change and refused to upgrade, while the brave pressed on into the future.
Others even still used further and strange disordered combinations, often with the varying shader names which only further hampered their ability to collaborate with their peers.
Ancient tomes from this period speak of the infinite combinations and endless confusion suffered by the players of the Final Fantasy XIV community as they attempted to share their presets with one another, only to find that it was impossible to do so in this fractured ecosystem without forsaking their own personal creations.

There would be no answer to the cries of the community, and the solution to their peril would only come to be thanks to the great need of a group of posers, who sought to load presets from many creators for their work in producing a magazine. Toiling away in secret, testing, discerning the transmundane, a tool was carefully crafted by one of the leaders of this group who held the title of Editor.

The tool was revolutionary; it took the many fragmented pieces the community had collected and could forge them into a whole, loading any preset by its nature alone or through conversion. GShade was born, and the Editor knew it was not right to keep it only among his people. Yet while preparations were underway to prepare it for the world, envy did strike, and one of the Tribe of Moogles, full of shade, infiltrated the group of posers and attempted to release the tool before it was ready.

Fortunately the Final Fantasy XIV community already held the Tribe of Moogles with suspicion, and so this act of ill intent went mostly seen and unheard. It was not long after that the tool was released to much fanfare and celebration; the people were now able to share presets uninhibited, their creativity became untethered, and a new ecosystem was born.

Yet the story does not end here, for the tool would regularly need to be maintained, and each of these periods of maintenance would take from them precious few minutes each month. In the earliest days, the Editor designed the tool to be restless, with a banner residing over the head of the wielder until they had taken a moment to complete the maintenance.

And so they lodged protests against the Editor, forgetting the gift they were given in the tool and even their own past, for the few minutes of the moment ever seemed more important than a return from whence they came. But the Editor did listen, and did compromise. The banner was hidden from sight, the maintenances made less frequent, and the tool disabled only when major maintenance was required so that the tool could be used even when minor issues were present.

Yet still they complained even upon this compromise; some chose to be blind to the past they were part of, and others were unwilling to know of the history which brought the ease of the tool into their hands. This brings us to today. Here. Now.

And so, dear reader, you are left with a choice: You may accept the tool or reject it, but you will never escape the mistakes of the past without it.

tl;dr if you’re reading this for any reason other than pure curiosity, you are probably part of the reason why we can’t have nice things.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol wow

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Jesus Christ, I thought the upgrade banners were obnoxious

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not in name no. But the whole thing of there being another set of guys from another world doing what you were trying to do, albeit far more amicably, in V

Are you sure you're not thinking of FF3? That has Warriors of Darkness from the world of darkness that helped you suppress the cloud of darkness' stats, but FF5 just had the prior generation of heroes who sealed exdeath and they went by the Dawn Warriors.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

meteor9 posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of FF3? That has Warriors of Darkness from the world of darkness that helped you suppress the cloud of darkness' stats, but FF5 just had the prior generation of heroes who sealed exdeath and they went by the Dawn Warriors.

They're trying to draw the connection between FFV Krile coming from the other world, and Ardbert and Co. coming from the First. It's not really a connection I'd buy, but it's almost there, I guess.

And holy poo poo, that FAQ answer is a loving blowhard piece of garbage. I'd have uninstalled the loving thing right there if I'd read it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I feel like custom deliveries for previous expansions should have their own weekly limit, or ideally a daily limit.

Adjust the achievements so they take the same time if you want, I guess.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
folks would just use those to generate the 300,000 crafters white scrip needed to make and pentameld a current tier of crafting gear, instead of slaving over a hot stove to make infinity pancakes

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I feel like custom deliveries for previous expansions should have their own weekly limit, or ideally a daily limit.

Adjust the achievements so they take the same time if you want, I guess.

I didn't realize this until like a year ago when someone told me but all custom delivery NPCs give the current expansion payout once you max rep with them

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The newest one gives a litte more. Sorry Ameliance you're old now.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have a confession and an apology to make.

I may or may not have sparked off this entire Gshade thing.

Unironically thank you for your service.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

gently caress around: https://twitter.com/perchbird_/status/1622624525740392450

Find out: https://twitter.com/Tr3ntu/status/1622948121037742081

https://twitter.com/KabscOrner/status/1622953727526313985

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've been seeing a friend grumble about gshade's dumbass update policy for like a month so seeing it boil over like this so quickly made for a very fun monday

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

loving lol that it was set to disable itself if it can't phone home.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What do you folks prefer for scanning for malware anyway? I've not gone mod crazy just yet but I have a few things and I'm wondering.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Just to be clear, if I want to make sure GShade is completely gone, I should uninstall it from the update program, and then just uninstall/reinstall FFXIV altogether? The .dll is hidden in the XIV folder and not someplace weird?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Control Panel's add/remove programs will probably totally get rid of it, at the very least.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Doctor Epitaph posted:

Just to be clear, if I want to make sure GShade is completely gone, I should uninstall it from the update program, and then just uninstall/reinstall FFXIV altogether? The .dll is hidden in the XIV folder and not someplace weird?

Yes. XIVLauncher’s repair function should also yeet it faster than it takes to completely redownload and do a fresh install. Make sure you backup the plug-ins and presets though if you want to migrate them to Reshade.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Alxprit posted:

Control Panel's add/remove programs will probably totally get rid of it, at the very least.

Apparently it doesn't.

If you're switching to reshade, here's a guide: https://gist.github.com/ry00001/3e2e63b986cb0c673645ea42ffafcc26

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Alxprit posted:

I'd suggest using something more extensive, like Revo Uninstaller. I tried to go in and uninstall after switching to reshade, and gshade insisted on trying to update itself before it would run its installer, I skipped that and had Revo nuke all the files completely, and FFXIV still works fine, and reshade is working as expected.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah, in the end you can really never be too careful with this kind of thing. I'm glad I wasn't using it myself, graphics have never been a make or break for me. But I've been helping out my friends that use it with getting rid of it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is the Wind-up Halone blasphemy?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

No.

Hanging out in the cathedral in Ishgard while playing with your Wind-up Halone might be though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

No more or less blasphemous than the Wind-up Azeyma.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thundarr posted:

No.

Hanging out in the cathedral in Ishgard while playing with your Wind-up Halone might be though.

Lord_Magmar posted:

No more or less blasphemous than the Wind-up Azeyma.

Sorry forgot to clarify in Ishgard

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

What do you folks prefer for scanning for malware anyway? I've not gone mod crazy just yet but I have a few things and I'm wondering.

For mods in particular just read around about them. Anyone having issues with them will not be quiet about it, and it would be impossible to hide if the code is open source. And get them from a respectable source of course.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I was sympathetic to gshade's forced update thing when SwissArmyDruid brought this up in CoC a month or so back -- dealing with support requests for things you fixed months ago gets annoying -- but wow at actually going full malware for anyone trying to circumvent that. That dev sure was a special kind of stupid rear end in a top hat.

Ideally reshade changes their license to something more restrictive than BSD. It's not like reshade is a library or will get more external contributors by allowing commercial use: requiring derivative works to be open sourced so it's easy to backport any good additions would presumably just be a boon for the community, and help prevent this sort of abuse.

As an author it feels nice to provide an non-restrictive license for your little hobby project so that more people might use it, but you should really think about if allowing commercial use will help you or your users. I've been in the situation where a wow addon I wrote with a very permissive do-what-you-want license was suddenly part of the "GuildOx Addon Suite" and used to sell subscriptions. I did not love that, and I've been pretty careful about licensing for even stupid hobby projects since.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I'm just catching up on the gshade drama and i'm in awe at the sheer audacity of the dev admitting to making malware and then trying to walk it back when it got pointed out. Plus the petty passive-aggressive response to push 3 useless updates when people complained about the updater. The absolutely insane ego that modders have, I swear.

In other news, I was bummed to find out that I have to get all of the tribes up to Bloodsworn instead of just Sworn to get the Allied Tribe Quests. The Vanu Vanu and Moogle quests are just sooooooooooooooooooooooo tedious. Why did they have to spread them out over the biggest maps?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The worst part is that you basically got everything worth a drat by Sworn and the Bloodsworn quest in HW basically amounts to a few textboxes of the tribe reps thanking you not even in a cutscene.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Data Center travel was a mistake...

This feels reportable... Racist tropes and all that...
Halicarnasus, what is going on your server

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you think it's reportable you could report them

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Vitamean posted:

if you think it's reportable you could report them

I have an eternal fear of wasting people's time.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Twibbit posted:

I have an eternal fear of wasting people's time.

And yet we have to read your posts

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

And yet we have to read your posts

Hey, we were wasting time on something awful with or without my posts.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Is it really wasting the GMs time if reviewing and adjudicating such reports is literally their job, though?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

there's probably a stack of frivolous reports about someone's glam being stolen or something so consider your report a light in the storm

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

More reports create more GM demand. You’re getting no good punk Yoshi Ps cash into the hands of an Honest American

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

SettingSun posted:

For mods in particular just read around about them. Anyone having issues with them will not be quiet about it, and it would be impossible to hide if the code is open source. And get them from a respectable source of course.

As far as the "first-party" (read: follows guidelines and is listed in the default XIVLauncher repo) plugins go, it's hard to be much safer: XIVLauncher is fully open-source, as is Dalamud. Any plugins in the default repo are required to be open-source with one exception (Sonar), and the plugin submission mechanics mean that the build published to users is 100% guaranteed use the public source code of the plugin and not be a private build with any changes.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Personally, I could not give less of a gently caress about the Bozja conflict. That certainly didn't help my enjoyment. The death of all the Blades did nothing for me. I wish every NPC involved in that questline would have died.

Except Lilja. She was the only good part of the whole thing.

that is a weird way to feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah, what weirdo doesn't like sexy grandpa