Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Itzena posted:

Weren’t you going to head off back to 4chan or wherever by now?

:dafuq:

You’re kind of proving my point though.

Like, I’m a loving ally. But because I’m daring to say I can see why some people would want to buy the game and harry potters overall impact to society is more complicated than just now it’s bad, you’re saying I’m not cool enough to hang in these dead forums. That’s weird.

I feel like while you may have strong opinions on games they people should and should not play as a value judgment of total strangers on the internet your reading comprehension skills may need some brushing up on.

Im not pro JK. (Though there often is some scent of misogyny when her as a writer is brought up. It’s not enough that she’s a lovely person for being a terf. We have to talk about how she was also always a lovely writer and how bad the Harry Potter books are, and I, a smart person have always known it. You see that poo poo a lot too).

Im pointing out hard lining with a puritanical stance about morality of normies buying the game or not buying the game isn’t in any way going to have a positive effect.

Making weird statements about how the game is clearly terrible and the reviews are bought also doesn’t help. It’s a game that looks very much like game, the triple A game but in the wizard world.
It, like a shocking amount of other triple A games, clearly needs one or a dozen bug patches. Shocking.

If the goal of these boycotts is awareness and empathy for trans lives and JK being a bigot, I don’t get the impression this kind of campaigning helps. If anything, calling random strangers TERFS and supporters of fascism doesn’t help win over hearts and minds. At least not how the discourse has gone down.

That’s literally all I’ve tried to say.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

LionArcher posted:

If the goal of these boycotts is awareness and empathy for trans lives and JK being a bigot, I don’t get the impression this kind of campaigning helps. If anything, calling random strangers TERFS and supporters of fascism doesn’t help win over hearts and minds. At least not how the discourse has gone down.

lol "why can't these trans rights campaigners just campaign quietly and respectfully (where nobody has to see or acknowledge it)"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

She is quite literally the face of the anti-trans movement in the UK, and actively uses her fame and influence to make the movement seem palatable to regular people, as well as fight for (and using her royalties and immense wealth to donate to) anti-trans causes, organisations, and legislation, all of which causes actual real world harm. It’s far more than just tweeting some bullshit.

This i think is the biggest issue. It's not just about giving or not giving her money - she's already insanely rich, that's not going to change regardless. It's about how she actively uses her platform her works give her to do her damage. By saying yes it's okay for her works to continue being culturally mainstream it just continues to elevate her and her platform. She's not just a bad person associated with a franchise she is literally the creator and driving force behind it. She is completely and inextricably tied to everything Harry Potter in a way that other media franchises don't necessarily have something comparable.

I'm someone who loved Harry Potter growing up and I'm sympathetic to it being hard to let go of something you loved. But at the same time it's hard for me to imagine going back to the old stuff now that it's been tainted by the knowledge of who she really is. Let alone actively consuming new stuff related to it. If that doesn't bother you then you should probably step back and think about why that is.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think the anti-JK brigade can become a bit fanatic at times. Apparently they flooded the chat and yelled at some Twitch streamer for daring to play the game, until she broke down crying. That's not winning anyone over.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Why would anyone want a thread about the game to be about the former? No one is arguing about JK, people are just hissy pissy the game turned out good

Actually its cause jk Rowling is a terf op

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ymgve posted:

I think the anti-JK brigade can become a bit fanatic at times. Apparently they flooded the chat and yelled at some Twitch streamer for daring to play the game, until she broke down crying. That's not winning anyone over.
multiple, streamers. including pikamee... thats hosed up

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

*cara cunningham voice* LEAVE PIKAMEE ALONE

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

ymgve posted:

Jesus

E: Yeah it's really hosed up. A streamer let his girlfriend stream from his account so she just got a full blast of culture war internet. Let normal people play their normal loving game without bullying them to make yourself feel better

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 7, 2023

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Japanese streamers who aren't bilingual are playing ホグワーツレガシー without any disturbances.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
unsurprising that the Disneyland guy would come back to throw his hat in this ring

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

LionArcher posted:

:dafuq:

You’re kind of proving my point though.

Like, I’m a loving ally. But because I’m daring to say I can see why some people would want to buy the game and harry potters overall impact to society is more complicated than just now it’s bad, you’re saying I’m not cool enough to hang in these dead forums. That’s weird.

I feel like while you may have strong opinions on games they people should and should not play as a value judgment of total strangers on the internet your reading comprehension skills may need some brushing up on.

Im not pro JK. (Though there often is some scent of misogyny when her as a writer is brought up. It’s not enough that she’s a lovely person for being a terf. We have to talk about how she was also always a lovely writer and how bad the Harry Potter books are, and I, a smart person have always known it. You see that poo poo a lot too).

Im pointing out hard lining with a puritanical stance about morality of normies buying the game or not buying the game isn’t in any way going to have a positive effect.

Making weird statements about how the game is clearly terrible and the reviews are bought also doesn’t help. It’s a game that looks very much like game, the triple A game but in the wizard world.
It, like a shocking amount of other triple A games, clearly needs one or a dozen bug patches. Shocking.

:blastu:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

lol "why can't these trans rights campaigners just campaign quietly and respectfully (where nobody has to see or acknowledge it)"

Again, not what I loving said. I’m saying the current approach of pretending to have moral superiority doesn’t do the movement or awareness any favors. A lot of this feels like being right matters more than winning. Stopping the campaigns she’s helping find to pass legislation that hurts trans kids in England? Great idea. I can think of a dozen different ads you could run to show
How
Monstrous those policies are, and if you want to add don’t support hate or something, with a picture of the game, a little overblown, but more effective.
Targeting people who just want to talk about the game though? Or if it’s mentioned with good reviews it has to come up? It’s a loser approach.

But half the people I see on twitter hating on this game are upper middle class, travel to Coachella, by plane, have kids, spread Covid because they don’t quarantine long enough and have stopped wearing mask, fly internationally regularly, and so on. From an ethically point of view, these are far more unethical behaviors than someone buying the HP game.

And while everything I just said from an energy point of view is correct, it’s right, it doesn’t win me any friends stating it. Do you see where I’m going with this?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You're so brave

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Having a meltdown because you feel vaguely judged that people don’t like the idea of giving money and promotion to someone causing actual real world harm is not it, imo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

so in magicians quest: mysterious times there are 10 different musical instruments that you can play, including whistling, and if you pull out an instrument near an NPC they may also pull one out and play with you. of course you can also play in multiplayer bands. there are dozens of songs in the game and you have a chance of learning one by simply standing within earshot of a stereo playing it or, someone performing it. this is but one of many ways magicians quest: mysterious times simulates the experience of going to a magical boarding school

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Jesus

E: Yeah it's really hosed up. A streamer let his girlfriend stream from his account so she just got a full blast of culture war internet. Let normal people play their normal loving game without bullying them to make yourself feel better

"normal" people? :dogstare:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
First the radical left came for the streamers but I said nothing because I don't stream.....

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Didn't Rowling outright say she would put any money she made from harry potter royalties towards her terfery

I think sideeyeing people who are like "please be quiet with your outrage" is warranted with how much of a fanatic she is

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

homeless snail posted:

*cara cunningham voice* LEAVE PIKAMEE ALONE
Oh no, not pikamee!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

did you know that magicians quest: mysterious times has a fart spell, that you can cast on people to make them fart? it does. it also blows away ghosts when you find yourself in a haunted situation. just a little magquest tip

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*distressed kettle noises*

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Foul Fowl posted:

"normal" people? :dogstare:

Yes the ones who touch grass occasionally

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yes the ones who touch grass occasionally

my bad i thought you were talking about harry potter fans

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ymgve posted:

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Jesus

https://twitter.com/kitsunemorgaine/status/1622657916258996231

LionArcher posted:

Again, not what I loving said. I’m saying the current approach of pretending to have moral superiority doesn’t do the movement or awareness any favors. A lot of this feels like being right matters more than winning. Stopping the campaigns she’s helping find to pass legislation that hurts trans kids in England? Great idea. I can think of a dozen different ads you could run to show
How
Monstrous those policies are, and if you want to add don’t support hate or something, with a picture of the game, a little overblown, but more effective.
Targeting people who just want to talk about the game though? Or if it’s mentioned with good reviews it has to come up? It’s a loser approach.

But half the people I see on twitter hating on this game are upper middle class, travel to Coachella, by plane, have kids, spread Covid because they don’t quarantine long enough and have stopped wearing mask, fly internationally regularly, and so on. From an ethically point of view, these are far more unethical behaviors than someone buying the HP game.

And while everything I just said from an energy point of view is correct, it’s right, it doesn’t win me any friends stating it. Do you see where I’m going with this?
https://twitter.com/TheDebateChamp/status/1105271079726006272
Also with regard to wealthy upper middle class people who travel to Coachella by plane
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1546227527773036559

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 7, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

LionArcher posted:

Do you see where I’m going with this?

Hopefully you are going to the log out button with this

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Also I think it's pretty lol to say that the people being loud about terfdom are poo poo libs but then suggest political ads would be more effective way to draw attention to said terfdom.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1622770368758050817?t=eTa1B7D_-I9FjbH-dN9wZQ&s=19

Not cool. They were raising money for the Trevor Project during the stream as well. So they bullied a charity stream.

E: it's okay to bully people and make them cry for playing the wrong game because im a sociopath!

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 7, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LionArcher posted:

Even if this were true how is it relevant to transphobia?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“If you really want to defeat Rowling, you should vote in your local elections”

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hogwarts Legacy turned out to be entertaining after all, and we didn't even have to buy it or play it

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 7, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hogwarts Legacy thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023471

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1622770368758050817?t=eTa1B7D_-I9FjbH-dN9wZQ&s=19

Not cool. They were raising money for the Trevor Project during the stream as well. So they bullied a charity stream.

E: it's okay to bully people and make them cry for playing the wrong game because im a sociopath!

lmao

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

we don't often get the option to not enable a billionaire sociopath, and it's always nice when it comes along

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

no post zone

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TheWorldsaStage posted:

There are strong valid reasons to not play the game, but people see the discourse and thinks if gives them carte blanche to be arseholes to other people.

Like yeah absolutely inform people about Rowling, and I hadn't heard previously about that poo poo she''s managed to pull in parliament :stare:, but harassing a charity stream is pretty hosed behaviour.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a thread for this game now continue this discussion in there imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I had heard that Hogwarts Legacy was quite good, but didn't expect 9/10 level of good. Glad for the developers but yeah, toxic IP right there.

Theathyrthm seems dumb without the arcade experience imho, but glad people are going to enjoy it. Maybe it'll get them to go to their local Round1