Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Some guide dogs definitely are trained to identify crossings, I know the dog I raised to become one was. But it's not standard I don't think because the handler had to specifically ask for her to be trained that way. But not zebra crossings, crossings with traffic lights. I think it's possible it does affect contrast but I think you'd see more actual low vision services and organisations raising awareness about it if it were that big a problem, and not just randos on twitter using it to beat their terf drums.

Now now that's unfair, she might hate ALL LGBTQ people equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Low vision impairments, where folk would have to use the contrast of black/white to identify a crossing might be an issue, but despite a lot of noise being made about it I don't think anyone can actually name a single actual incident yet.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Other than the thousands of people having epileptic seizures cos of the gays, I mean.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ratjaculation posted:

Other than the thousands of people having epileptic seizures cos of the gays, I mean.

There’s also the effects of the rainbow crosswalks to consider.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Crosswalks in my city have a beep or whistle when it's your turn to cross. IDK if that's standard to all places or not.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

Crosswalks in my city have a beep or whistle when it's your turn to cross. IDK if that's standard to all places or not.

these particular crossings are road markings where the pedestrian has right of way and cars yield. No sounds, but signage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrian_crossings_in_the_United_Kingdom

Ratjaculation has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Feb 7, 2023

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

That appears to be a pelican crossing rather than a zebra crossing. There’s a traffic light, so the visual impaired shouldn’t have an issue.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If guide dogs could only cross at uniform zebra crossings they'd be useless because cities are terrible at making all crossings uniform. Plenty don't have markings at all.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

That appears to be a pelican crossing rather than a zebra crossing. There’s a traffic light, so the visual impaired shouldn’t have an issue.

i can't tell, I am blinded by the gay colours and had to look away due to a suden migraine

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I used the gay crossing and ended up in asgard.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

rear end guard? Is that a top?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier posted:

I used the gay crossing and ended up in asgard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Have the paints been designed for use on walking surfaces? If not, they can be hell of slippery when it rains.

Solution: just to make sure, remove rainbow crossings, paint houses in rainbow colours. Bing bong everyone is happy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Have the paints been designed for use on walking surfaces? If not, they can be hell of slippery when it rains.

There’s no way that they are more slippery than actual road paint with its little retroreflective glass beads.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

There’s no way that they are more slippery than actual road paint with its little retroreflective glass beads.

Yeah but you don't step on the stripes (:rolleyes: duuuh!). In a rainbow crossing it's WHOOPS ALL STRIPES.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would simply step on the stripes that are not slippery.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

e: It was this.

(Gesturing wildly at one of the most successful people in the country) "This could be your kid!!!!"

good for her, but this is Wendy Carlos erasure
:colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Platystemon posted:

I would simply step on the stripes that are not slippery.

They're likely slippery when wet, and I gotta say those colors look fairly saturated

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ratjaculation posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

grittyreboot posted:

Crossings with lights, here in Melbourne (and I assume the rest of the country too?), usually go tik. tik. tik. when you're waiting and then tickatickatickatickaticka when it's time to cross. But occasionally you run into a silent one. And every time I do, I miss the light because I'm so used to relying on the sound to get my attention.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

Out - that’s the key thing. Petras is openly out and has been for some time, Carlos’ story is a bit more complicated.

(Nixing some pretty descriptive dysphoria, but the full paragraph is on Wikipedia)

quote:

Sometime after entering graduate school at Columbia University in the fall of 1962 she encountered studies of transgender issues for the first time, which explained to her what she was feeling. In the summer of 1966 New York sexologist and pioneering transgender advocate Harry Benjamin published his landmark book The Transsexual Phenomenon, and in the fall of 1967 Carlos began counseling with him (well before Switched-On Bach). By early 1968 Carlos had begun hormone replacement treatments under Benjamin's care, which began altering her appearance.

Finally, the commercial success of Switched-On Bach allowed Carlos to undergo sex reassignment surgery in May 1972, although for marketing reasons she released two more albums as Walter Carlos (1973's Switched-On Bach II and 1975's By Request.)

Carlos disclosed her transgender status in a series of interviews with Arthur Bell held between December 1978 and January 1979 and published in the May 1979 issue of Playboy magazine. She explained in Playboy that she had "always been concerned with liberation, and [I was] anxious to liberate myself". In 1985, Carlos spoke about the reaction to her transition: "The public turned out to be amazingly tolerant or, if you wish, indifferent [...] There had never been any need of this charade to have taken place. It had proven a monstrous waste of years of my life." The first album released after the Playboy interview, Switched-On Brandenburgs (1980) and all subsequent releases and re-releases have been issued under the name Wendy Carlos.

HOWEVER, I’m finding it real hard to rag on someone for being not out in 2023, let alone in the 60s-70s.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lol
https://twitter.com/JoeEurell1/status/1620485766848864261?t=0zsHbsZydzdIpYpNsSTAIg&s=19

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Tiggum posted:

Crossings with lights, here in Melbourne (and I assume the rest of the country too?), usually go tik. tik. tik. when you're waiting and then tickatickatickatickaticka when it's time to cross. But occasionally you run into a silent one. And every time I do, I miss the light because I'm so used to relying on the sound to get my attention.

im visiting melbourne and nearly missed one because the noise maker wasnt working but then i noticed in the cbd those raised bumps for blind people also light up which i thought was neat

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Those crossings look great. We have plenty in Halifax but they only do a smaller flag in the middle rather than the full length which is lame. To be totally fair, the paint does get a little slippy when wet I guess. Not actually a problem though because they're cool to have.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

those raised bumps for blind people also light up
uh... what...?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Cable Guy posted:

uh... what...?

so you know those bumps so blind people can feel when they are at a driveway or crossing? they light up green or red at crossings along with the green man and red man

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/interneth0f/status/1622426885828366336?s=46&t=YmUoWfcxdXD1M8NromhLvA

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

so you know those bumps so blind people can feel when they are at a driveway or crossing? they light up green or red at crossings along with the green man and red man

If you press the button twice they heat up and vibrate, too. Heaven after walking around all day.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

No I got what you meant... but... why....?

Too many people with their heads down looking at phones and walking into traffic...?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Solution: just to make sure, remove rainbow crossings, paint houses in rainbow colours. Bing bong everyone is happy.

Yes, the paints have been designed for walking surfaces, jfc. You think you're the first person to realize weather happens outside and materials should respond?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cable Guy posted:

Too many people with their heads down looking at phones and walking into traffic...?

visual impairment has quite the spectrum of ailments

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Street and sidewalk painters realizing someone will have to walk on the paints feeling pretty stupid right now!!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Key West has had a street with rainbow crossings for years and everyone down there is dead from suddenly unexplained fits or slipping under a car when it rains. It’s all true, don’t look it up.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ambitious Spider posted:

First to win a Grammy in the best pop duo and group performance category. The tweet is very specific about that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Yes, the paints have been designed for walking surfaces, jfc. You think you're the first person to realize weather happens outside and materials should respond?

I will never trust the city/municipality/whatever or whoever is contracted to do the actual work to use the correct paints.

Why is everyone so opposed to painting all the houses rainbow colours. Sounds like y'all're homophobic.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I will never trust the city/municipality/whatever or whoever is contracted to do the actual work to use the correct paints.

Well, that's on you, as public works of this nature are typically under strict controls by entire departments of professionals. Typically, the paint is specified by a street design engineer, the specification is included in the contract that the painter is party to, and they don't get paid unless they use the brand and product line exactly as specified.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I mean, it is in the UK, so I would not be surprised if they had used the teflon paint to save tuppence per pot. We are the country that covers skyscrapers in napalm because it's cheap.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Well, that's on you, as public works of this nature are typically under strict controls by entire departments of professionals. Typically, the paint is specified by a street design engineer, the specification is included in the contract that the painter is party to, and they don't get paid unless they use the brand and product line exactly as specified.

Lmao sure.

e: I once suggested as a joke that a customer who was under contract from [redacted] should buy a bunch of regular pot-metal [redacted] and a case of zinc spray instead of the specified hot-dip-galvanized [redacted]. She said "good idea!" The thing hasn't sunk yet so :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Feb 7, 2023

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cable Guy posted:

Being blind is not necessarily having no vison, it can be having severely impaired vision. Something like lights can definitely help.

Here's a random Youtube thing I saw the other day that shows some types of blindness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjDmdaDhoVo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In the UK there is a secret knurled doodad underneath the box with the button on it that spins when the light is green.