Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Glad Carl had a nice year. Do your best big fella.

Douglas is a god dang monster.

Charlie Brown and Panda are my favorite cryptids to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'm glad Jose Alface did something good, but he seems to be back on the lower rank and his overall rating is still at the bottom, so I don't really hold much hope for him. He keeps getting called to the MLB team during spring training but they must be really lacking catchers throughout the youth system.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is a long training arc

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
That monster payday. Is 106 million near the largest contract payouts in professional baseball?

Also, Skelebro got quietly called up to the majors at the end of the season. "Don't give up, skeleton," indeed.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

What a strange season. Hooray for mah boi Snorp getting the HRD. Hooray for Replica. Hoping a bunch of goons turn it around. It's so weird seeing the Orioles doing anything of consequence.

Stadiums-wise, I don't really have a preference, but please don't make Mexico City a cavern. It's gonna be weird enough with the elevation.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

DoubleNegative posted:

That monster payday. Is 106 million near the largest contract payouts in professional baseball? .

Not even close. The largest to date has been Mike Trout's extension at $425 million. $160m wouldn't even have been the biggest contract back in 2001 after Arod signed a $250m deal with Texas.

E: by way of comparison Brandon Nimmo got 8 years $162m this season. Brandon Nimmo is a very, very good player, but more like a top 25ish hitter right now... and definitely not top 5.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 7, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hell yeah Replica. It wasn't mentioned but 47 doubles in 122 games :eyepop:. Highest overall of the Detroit goons already too. Also do I spy some service time manipulation by the Tigers with that callup date?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Looks like Splodey might be turning into an okay DH? Maybe he'll be even better more okay at it in the future?

Out of curiosity, is there a way to check how many (if any) options he has left?

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I want to believe all of McCracken's errors are from his too powerful arm throwing the ball through the webbing on the first baseman's glove.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

john cena officially no longer worse than a generic replacement player, and is now equally as good as a generic replacement player

:unsmith:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mr Panda is on an RA Dickey career path.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
huh, at some point during that post jessie crime made it from A all the way to the majors? Am I reading that right?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Adam is really doing well, huh? Considering he still has a lot of potential to realise, I'm hoping he could develop into a quality player on both sides of the ball, so to speak, and add some top-level hitting to his elite fielding, becoming a WAR machine who never wins any awards because he's not the best at either.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

CptWedgie posted:

Well, Plusse seems to have passed his prime, but he's still got a few years in him, I'm sure (even if those years are spent in the minor leagues after age and injuries inevitably take their toll). And hey, he's got a World Series win under his belt- that's more success than a lot of players get, I'm sure!

And his contract should mean that when he inevitably retires, he should be able to live fairly comfortably; $29 million is nothing to scoff at. Wonder how he'll do as a coach, though...

I wouldn't write off Plusse yet. You've seen goons bounce back (and fall) further than he has already - I'm willing to say this was a down year and hope for a recovery. I don't think he'll ever be elite but I think there's a very plausible scenario where he's a solid starter for a number of years. Consistent starters are hard to come by.

Nea posted:

huh, at some point during that post jessie crime made it from A all the way to the majors? Am I reading that right?

It does look like Jessie is technically on the nationals roster in the MLB (as is her teammate Tukhachevsky). Neither is in the starting lineup and I suspect they're only there for the impending expanded Spring rosters - but that's still a great sign and a step in the right direction. Look for her to go back to AA or AAA as the season begins.

Pander posted:

Mr Panda is on an RA Dickey career path.

I'm glad at least one goon is doing some bizarre unorthodox path and comeback story. I was getting scared at all the dudes just retiring and giving up instantly.

biosterous posted:

john cena officially no longer worse than a generic replacement player, and is now equally as good as a generic replacement player

:unsmith:

He has technically broken into the majors! He only had 2 PA's but hey, it counts!

Explosionface posted:

Looks like Splodey might be turning into an okay DH? Maybe he'll be even better more okay at it in the future?

Out of curiosity, is there a way to check how many (if any) options he has left?

Splodey's fielding at 2B is actually pretty good, and it looks like they've had him fill in at 3B and SS a little bit too. I don't think he's consigned to DH duties yet at all.

Here's the players options (and other financial stuff). Anyone else not on this has 0 options, either from not being called up yet or running out.

Options refers to the number of years a player can be sent back to the minors without being put on waivers (which makes them subject to be taken by another team), so once options run out, teams essentially have to determine whether they want to keep a player in the majors or risk letting them go. It's a bit more complicated than that but that's the simplest version of it. The rules if you want to read it: https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/minor-league-options

Looks like Splodey still has three options, so he may be sent back down again. He did pretty well in his brief time in the majors, but he has something of a problem. The Phillies have a 70, 70, and 65 rated player at second, third, and short, and a decent DH, so there isn't realy a good spot for him yet. We'll see if that holds, or if he maybe gets traded somewhere.

IcePhoenix posted:

Hell yeah Replica. It wasn't mentioned but 47 doubles in 122 games :eyepop:. Highest overall of the Detroit goons already too. Also do I spy some service time manipulation by the Tigers with that callup date?

Good catch! Replica's ratings are still :eyepop:.

Love that her description is doing as many pronoun crimes as possible. And I think that some manipulation may have taken place, but hard to say if it's intention. Her callup was RIGHT when Blank got suspended, so maybe the Tigers have some plausible deniability because they needed a bat to rival his. But it came at a pretty convenient time to get that seventh year of team control... tut tut.

DoubleNegative posted:

That monster payday. Is 106 million near the largest contract payouts in professional baseball?

Also, Skelebro got quietly called up to the majors at the end of the season. "Don't give up, skeleton," indeed.

As other goons pointed out, 160 million is chump change in the big picture - but it's certainly a solid amount for such a newbie.

Please always point out stuff I miss - this is a dizzying amount of information and I try and show you guys what I find interesting. If you guys catch any hints of something on any of my screenshots, or you simply want some more in depth info, do ask! That's how we discover delightfully hidden weird stuff. OOTP is kinda bad about notifying me about everything that happens to the goons. If he remains good by his 33 year old Free Agency date, he will get far, far more money.

Average Lettuce posted:

I'm glad Jose Alface did something good, but he seems to be back on the lower rank and his overall rating is still at the bottom, so I don't really hold much hope for him. He keeps getting called to the MLB team during spring training but they must be really lacking catchers throughout the youth system.

Alface's ratings are getting worryingly low :(. He still has some pop in his bat and he is at a relatively rare/useful position, so I think he's got an outside chance, but may need a key injury to one of the Angels catchers. They're both mediocre so who knows!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

Good catch! Replica's ratings are still :eyepop:.

holy poo poo :popeye:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We posted bad realignments earlier, from the off-season thread:

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1623015440153776154?t=vAS0rhBJNMRBT_aPuLH3JA&s=19

I veto this for a number of reasons am open to doing something radical here if the goons desire it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Princess! You idiot!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

JosefStalinator posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1623015440153776154?t=vAS0rhBJNMRBT_aPuLH3JA&s=19

I veto this for a number of reasons am open to doing something radical here if the goons desire it.

Here's a lovely (but less lovely than Bowden's) one I made back in, like 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

here is my contribution to realignment chat, customized for our league
code:
AL
North	South	East	West
MIN	HOU	NYY	SEA
DET	TEX	BOS	OAK
CWS	KC	TOR	COL
CLE	MXC	BAL	LAA

NL		
North	South	East	West
CHC	ATL	PIT	LAD
MIL	MIA	PHI	SD
CIN	TB	NYM	SF
STL	WAS	MTL	ARI
It's a mixture of trying to preserve current rivalries/leagues and travel efficiency (though I guess with a fully balanced schedule there's no such thing as the latter)

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 7, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JosefStalinator posted:

I always thought they should go back to simplified divisions - east and west for both leagues, that's it.

Two division winners, two wild cards. That way, a second place team with 98 wins isn't punished, and a team with 81 wins doesn't take a weak division.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i like that pacific coast division

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Clips is toast, huh. :(

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love all the realignment proposals so far - I think we should entertain such a proposal and give it a whirl. I was going to let the league evolve naturally (as the initial expansion was), but I also don't mind doing a wee bit of realignment just for experiments sake. We'll think about it after the next update, and I remain open to proposals.

For now though, lets decide on how we want to do the stadiums. I think I'll take the mega-field proposal less literally and consider it a more "maximalist" field proposal, and make a park with large pitcher friendly proportions (a bit deep with some high walls, or something) but not as game breaking as 1000 feet deep.

So lets vote on those and get those out of the way. Our three proposals so far suggested a few different things, so the poll will break down as follows:

Park Names

Montreal:
Stade Olympique
Olympic Stadium of the Gods
The Biggest Stadium IN THE WORLD!

Mexico City:
Campo PEMEX
Ciudad Compleja
Budget Stadium

Park Dimensions

Montreal:

Proposal A:

quote:

—Type: Dome
—Surface: Grass
—Left Line: Same (325/12)
—Left Field: Same (325/12)
—Left Center: 380/12
—Center: 405/12
—Right Center: 380/12
—Right Field: Same (325/12)
—Right Line: Same (325/12)

Proposal B:

quote:

—Type: Retractable Roof
—Capacity: 44,000
—Left Line: 335/10
—Left Field: 335/10
—Left Center: 385/10
—Center: 405/10
—Right Center: 385/10
—Right Field: Same 0335/10
—Right Line: Same 335/10

Proposal C:

quote:

-Type: Retractable Roof
-Surface: Artificial Turf
(Very pitcher friendly park, within reason so as not to break the game)

Mexico City

Proposal A:

quote:

—Type: Open Ballpark
—Capacity: 30,000
—Left Line: 316/11
—Left Field: Same As Current (325/7)
—Left Center: 360/7
—Center Field: Same As Current (400/7)
—Right Center: 360/7
—Right Field: 325/7
—Right Line: 316/11

Proposal B:

quote:

—Type: Dome
—Surface: Turf
—Capacity: 70,000
—Left Line: 330/12
—Left Field: 330/12
—Left Center: 350/12
—Center Field: 400/12
—Right Center: 350/12
—Right Field: 330/12
—Right Line: 330/12

Proposal C:

quote:

-Type: Open Ballpark
-Surface: Grass
-Capacity: Again, no sense of scale; call it 35000?
-All field measurements minimum

Peruse the above, and go vote at the link below:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7CGWJMW

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2029 MLB Season

2028 was a bit of a disappointing season for most goons. Our stud Reggie Blank fell a bit flat, as did most of the ring-bearing Tigers Trio. They were joined by the promising arrival of SNK Replica, but the foursome still fell in the ALCS and didn't manage another ring.

Prince Vegeta's late season collapse was also something special - and his high ratings still stand in stark contrast to his mediocre to good accompanying stats.

Will Douglas Dougless become the new goon standardbearer? Will SNK invigorate the Tigers to another four goon rings? Will Vegeta continue dominating Goku - but struggle to survive otherwise?

Will the goons win some drat awards this time?

Let's find out!

It looks like the Giants alongside Carl Tubbs are making a play this season. They made a big splash in FA, signing Joey Gallo to a 3 year deal at 35 years old. Tubbs has been heating up with time and only getting better each season, so this may his best chance at a ring.

Goons on the Phillies, Astros, and Cubs are happy to see their teams improve.

The Tigers, on the other hand, are seeing their success catch up to them. They shed a fair bit of talent, but it is notable that they have a core of relatively cheap goon talent to rely on. Hopefully their contention window remains open.

Bitchface on Baltimore and Snorp/Dincht on the Rangers may have to wait longer for a ring, but WAR gains or losses is hardly the only indicator of future team success.

Spring training is here! As always, we get an optimistic look at our goons' development and promotion, as teams expand their rosters and give some of their new and underperforming players a chance to show off. Nearly every goon makes it onto these expanded rosters with a few exceptions, with Rich Mahogany standing out as the only goon below AA at the start of Spring Training. That will change, especially since Rich still maintains a potential in the 50's. I am most worried about Patrick O'Doyle and Billy Dee, as both their ratings have cratered to near retirement level.

Love to get periodically reminded how badly Barry broke the game of baseball.

We are getting to the point where more and more players are being AI generated and I keep seeing the names giving me Sleve McDichael vibes, only to google them and see that they're real. :rip: Sicnarf Loopstock.

Spring Training is pretty uneventful, as all goons escape major injury or hardship except for one:

Tim McCracken suffers a potentially nagging injury, fracturing his wrist. This is a pretty problematic injury for a hitter and could impact his swing even after he recovers. Let's hope not. Either way, he will miss most of the first month of the regular season.

Here's how the rosters look on opening day. A LOT of goons are waiting in AAA for their callup - I suspect virtually all of the AAA crowd will end up in the majors before years' end. I continue to worry for my boys down in single A...

How did Vegeta do on his third consecutive opening day start for the White Sox?

Pretty drat good! 1 ER over 6 2/3 innings is definitely something to be proud of. But did the White Sox win?

Oof. That one error costs the White Sox bigly - allowing 2 runs to score and ultimately dragging the game into the 16th inning. Poor Vegeta, this team will be very heavy for you to carry.

The baseball lords giveth, the baseball lords taketh away. Dugless is coming off his best year yet with a hot 2028 season, but will need at least a month to recover from a torn ligament in his thumb. Those hand injuries have a tendency to linger (as noted with Tim above), so let's hope this is something Dugless shrugs off and gets back into the game in May.

Would you look at that! It's the minors but still - Charlie Brown shows some signs of life with a complete game shut out down in AAA. Maybe this will be the boost in the arm he needs to get into the majors and start kicking butt.

Billy Dee makes a similar case for himself down in A+. He's kind of on life support with his potential down to 41, so let's hope this is a sign of a resurgence.

Snorp continues to be one of the hardest hitting goons, and probably really enjoys that he gets to play in Mexico City so often. That said, this isn't even the new stadium still being built (voted upon), so it may get even better.

Charlie Brown does it again. CALL HIM UP.

Saito quietly wins a player of the week award, hopefully signalling a rally in an otherwise slow start to the season for him.

gently caress, not again! Poor Dougless. Like I said, these hand injuries are always a risk for lingering, and linger it shall. It looks like it wasn't just a ligament injury but a fractured finger, and he's going to miss another 2 months. This really hurts his chances at repeating his goon lead for '29.

Zell Dincht has also quietly crept up in the minors, and would love to join Snorp on the Rangers as they make another run at a title.

Billy you rascal! He gets suspended in the minors for causing a bit of a ruckus.

Tragedy yet again! Reggie Blank joins Dugless on the DL with a particularly brutal hip muscle strain, forcing him to miss four months! This happens in May, meaning he will only be back for September and miss over half of the regular season. Such awful timing.

:negative:

Our goons are made of glass! Admittedly this is only a week for a messed up knee, but it just gets frustrating after a while.

SNK Replica joins two of her comrades with a 3 week "day to day" injury. What makes a day to day injury different is that she will still be able to play - but will suffer a decrease in talent commensurate to the severity of the injury, and greatly risks aggravating or prolonging the injury. Normal injuries make playing impossible altogether.

Be careful Plusse, there's some bad vibes in Detroit.

Kurwa! Punished Bantoni Kemping finally made it to the majors in 2029, looking like he was called up sometime in April. He's done well but wins an award for fantastic week, as he helps bolster an absolutely dominant Blue Jays currently winning at a .600 clip.

STOP. Bob Glass lives up to his name but not his indestructible reputation.

Oh come on. Our boy Tukhachevsky was working his way back to the majors, only to have his season completely halted by one of the worst injuries in baseball - a torn UCL. This might end up being the end of his career, as he will miss the next 9-10 months and desperately hope to recover.

What an absolutely dreadful (and boring) series of new stories. Let's see something more colorful, hopeful and interesting - it's time for the All-Star break!

Oh but first - Bantoni appears to be fully focused on avenging his brother's early demise:

Will he win the Rookie of the Year award? He's definitely making a case for it!

Congrats to our 2029 All-Stars - Prince Vegeta, Bantoni Kemping, SNK Replica, and Kazuki Saito! I'm equally surprised and impressed to see Bantoni on the list, definitely a great rookie season for our favorite totally real and new player. Further props to Kazuki Saito for being our first goon to make the All-Star game three times, and three years in a row.

Kalan placed third in the ballot for the NL Left Field spot, and Snorp got robbed over in the AL at first base by a "Tommy White":

This is also the time for me to note that last season, Snorp led the majors in HR's (43) and RBI (127), not just goons. Good on ya!

For some reason though, Snorp does not return to defend his home run derby title, and no goon signs up to defend his honor. Sad.

Bantoni continues to impress, dingering in the All-Star game as the NL defeats the AL 6-2. None of the other goons have much of an eventful game.

Let's see how our goons are doing at the halfway point:

2029 All-Star Break Batting Stats

So many injuries :(.

First the bad - a LOT of goons are struggling this season. Poor Carl Tubbs is imitating the Giants with his mediocrity - the Giants are .500 going into the break, and Tubbs is struggling with a barely positive WAR, little power, anemic contact hitting, and a dreadful 10 CS for his 20 SB. Malysz, Goku, and Glasscock are also off to cold starts, with any remaining players' struggles coming in a small enough sample size to not be overly concerned. McCracken may also be someone to watch, as his underperformance may hint at lingering injury woes - or just the need for more time to recover. As it stands, a .189 batting average is pretty dismal.

On the plus side - young buck Bantoni Kemping and only just removed from her rookie year SNK Replica are competing for the best season among hitters thus far. Both have pretty similar numbers in virtually all categories - SNK Replica is a doubles machine with better fielding, while Kemping remains ahead in most power categories (Kemping is actually leading all goons in dingers!). This may be the beginning of a rivalry!

I can't ignore Saito's shockingly high RBI count and overall solid play, nor Snorp's continued consistency in virtually all categories. Bob Glass' numbers suggest that when healthy, he may be a dark horse contender for a great season.

2029 All-Star Break Pitching Stats

We still only have four pitchers in the majors, but they all seem to be making progress in the right direction (save Dugless).

Vegeta may not be having as hot a start as 2028, but maybe he's happy without those high expectations. He continues his run of great first half play, surrendering very few longballs and still consistently striking out batters, but issuing walks a bit more than he'd like. A bit surprising is that Plusse has kept pace on the strikeout front, and is pitching a respectable 4.78 ERA. His FIP is much better so he may continue to improve as the season goes on, as he did in 2028, but he has a long way to go to catch up to our Prince.

Dugless is STILL being given chances to start by the Cubs, and keeps blowing them. Small sample size, or a sign they need to finally give up the experiment? I don't want them to, but he consistently puts up 5-6+ ERA's, which is just a liability at this level.

And look at Charlie Brown! He forced his way into the majors and finally has a decent first half - though admittedly over only 7.1 innings. I'm rooting for him!

Here's the standings at the All-Star break. Our expansion teams are still mired in the difficulties that come with expansion, which is kind of a shame. Still, I see lots of opportunities for goons to win rings this year - with Vegeta surely happy that the White Sox are back to being in contention. The Tigers seem to be suffering a bit with all the goon injuries they suffered - will they get into the playoffs in the stretch?

Kemping ends July with another strong case for the Rookie of the Year award. I don't know if he has as similarly weak competition as Replica had last year, but his numbers are fairly close to her own. I'm sure Antoni is looking down on his brother from hell (Washington DC).

2029 is turning into the year of the injury. Every single one of the goon foursome except for Plusse has missed at least a month of play to injuries, with Replica now out for the entire month of August. This might just doom the Tigers to narrowly miss the playoffs.

Jeffthew McDichael has bounced between AAA and the majors all season, and keeps crushing it whenever demoted to AAA. It's a bit of a shame that he plays in Colorado, given his power stat:

Surely any other goon could be playing there :negative:.

OOTP just can't get Barry off its mind.

Dugless gets back in the game only to be suspended four games for arguing balls and strikes. I love that he didn't only argue, but kicked dirt on the umps and had to be physically carried by his teammates to get him off the field. That probably explains why it was four games and not just one or two.

With four games to go in the season, take a look at the AL Wild Card race:

Wow! The Twins secure the first WC spot by quite a bit, but the second and third spots are in a four way tie, with Seattle and Cleveland still (technically) in it as well. Can the Detroit goons, minus Blank (who is STILL recovering from that hip strain from May... ugh) secure it?

:negative: Poor detroit goons! The season ends with a three-way tie for the Wild Card spots, with Seattle winning six in a row to catch up to Boston and Detroit. But alas - Boston and Seattle have the tiebreaker, I guess, because they make it to the playoffs while Detroit doesn't. Ouch.

Here are the final standings for 2029. The Mets behind Bob Glass win a brilliant 100 games, with the Yankees winning an even greater 104. A good year for New York baseball it seems.

(I accidentally simmed a few days into the playoffs before I took the screenshot for the playoff tree, oopsie!)

No Detroit, but plenty of goon ring opportunities, as follows:

SFG - Tubbs
CHW - Vegeta
NYM - Glass
TEX - Borsgaard
WASH - Crime, Glasscock, Tukhachevsky

Washington has begun to rival Detroit as a goon mecca (and keep in mind Antoni is coaching for their org as well!), with Crime joining Glasscock and the injury devestated Tukhachevsky in DC. That said, only 5/12 teams have goons on them, so our odds are a bit lower.

And unfortunately, 3 goons are knocked out pretty quickly from contention, as the Nationals lose to the Braves in the WC round 2-0.

Can't blame Crime or Glasscock though, as Crime played well and Glasscock only got to make one appearance.

Tubbs and Snorp do work on their respective teams, leading the Giants and Rangers onto the Division Series. Snorp may face the Prince of All Saiyans himself!

You can't blame Vegeta for Snorp and the Rangers' win in the ALDS - he pitched his one game beautifully, and despite yet another bullpen meltdown after his exit, it would be the only game the White Sox would win.

Snorp also played well but not spectacularly.

Over in the Mets-Braves series however, Bob Glass put up one of the worst playoff performances goons have yet seen:

0-14 just isn't helping your team, Bob. Oof.

Tubbs has better luck in the Giants' sweep of San Diego, though he is admittedly carried by excellent pitching and a 35 year old Joey Gallo.

I do hope it ends up being a rematch of the 2010 World Series, so we can keep some goons in it.

But I do not get my wish - as my beloved Giants are crushed by the Braves.

2 for 15 Tubbs. Come on!

Snorp doesn't do that well against Minnesota, but it's a team game, and he goes into the World Series as the goon standardbearer and last chance for a goon ring.

The madlad did it! Our boy Snorp Borsgaard joins Blank, Plusse, and McCracken as a ring-haver, with a respectable performance in the Rangers' 4-1 win over the Braves. This is also Texas' first title in their team's history, so Snorp surely won't have to pay for drinks again anywhere in DFW.

It will be interesting to see if Snorp can leverage his performance, and the ring, into some more money in arbitration this offseason. Or maybe even a big, Blank-esq contract.

Congrats Snorp! Enjoy meeting President DeSantis at the White House.

I love that the day after the World Series in OOTP, half the league fires its manager or GM. Looks like our Detroit goons will have a new GM, as they punish theirs for falling one game short of the playoffs.

Just to mock Charlie Brown, he wins the best pitcher award for the AAA Dodgers Affiliate. He never got promoted back in 2029, until the offseason.

Now, it's awards time! Did any of our goons get any trophies? Did Snorp get anything to go with his ring?

First, no Golden Glove awards :(.

Second, no Silver Slugger awards either! What the hell goons!?

Okay good! Congrats to Bantoni Kemping for redeeming goon-kind and winning something for the 2029 season - Rookie of the Year! He dedicates his speech to his brother, who was "disappointed that he could not attend the ceremony," defending his brothers' legacy and criticizing those who thought that "he - we - couldn't do it," and dedicating his award to the people of Poland.

It should be noted that this award was close to being Jayden Hylton's - he actually had slightly better offensive stats, but Bantoni's fielding carried him over.

Prince Vegeta falls just short of the AL Cy Young award, losing it to a "Reese Lumpkin". Reese had an absolutely dominant year and looks to be an emerging rival for Vegeta - he had a mighty 312 K's and a 5.2 WAR in 2029, to Vegeta's 207 and 4.8 respectively. Vegeta actually had a slightly better ERA for what it's worth. This is technically Lumpkin's third Cy Young, and he's only 26.

Replica and Borsgaard are a distant 11th and 13th in AL MVP voting, and no goons show up in the NL MVP conversation. Sad!

This is going to be a busy year for goon contracts - let's see which goons are getting paid:

Dougless negotiates a very nice $10 million dollar deal with the Cubs, making him the top paid goon for the year 2030. This avoids arbitration but doesn't secure a long-term deal with the Cubs. He may end up being one of our hottest FA players when he leaves team control.

Carl Tubbs signs a similar deal with the Giants for $7.3 million.

A bit surprising, but Snorp signs a more modest $6.7 million, one year extension with the Rangers. I'm surprised they didn't go bigger - or offer Snorp a longer term deal, given that they just won the World Series. Oh well, like Dougless and Tubbs, Snorp may just have to wait til FA to make the big bucks.

Here's how things end up shaking out at 2029 turns into 2030:

The other goons all either sign one year deals with their club, or are still on the league minimum for at least one more year.

Mr. Panda continues to follow a strange path:

He ended up being released by Cincinatti, signed by the Rockies, and played very well in the minors. The end of the season sees him back in Free Agency - and it looks like he's looking for $3 million to play again. Gotta appreciate the cajones.

No other big signings or contracts yet - we have 4 goons going on their 5th and second to last year of team control. But of those four, only Tubbs doesn't have a big multiyear contract, so we may see Tubbs hit true Free Agency first, if the Giants don't negotiate something before that happens.

Snorp visits President DeSantis at the White House, taking a selfie in the Oval Office.

Oh, I'm an idiot! I was previously only looking at batters in the financial info, and missed something big!

Our boy Prince Vegeta falls $2 million short of matching Reggie Blank's $160 million contract, though over one fewer year, meaning per year it's even more lucrative. The White Sox clearly believe in Vegeta, as they want to keep him around until he is 32. Great work Vegeta - if he keeps improving, he may get a very hefty payday in 2037.

I also was missing some arbitration results, so here's the actual final numbers for 2030:

It looks like John Dowd elected to become a free agent instead of stay with the Padres, and signed a minor league contract with the Dodgers. His salary reflects what he would earn if he is promoted to MLB.

Oh, and what's this?

Mr. Panda, you rascal! The mad lad does it, and ends up as a reliever on the White Sox, signing a 2 year, $2millionish per year deal. Vegeta will now have some goon support behind him when he pitches - and given the White Sox' trouble in their bullpen, this will be welcome. Admittedly, Mr. Panda hasn't technically appeared in the majors yet, but we can worry about that later.

Vegeta needs help! Not that 3.86 is that bad, but there's a clear disconnect between the starters and relievers relative to the rest of the AL.

One thing to note about our lowest performing goons - it looks like Billy Dee and Rex Sisters signed minor league extensions with their respective clubs. This is a bad sign, as it indicates that the clubs don't have much faith in them, and the are on the cusp of being released.

We conclude the passage of time with the Hall of Fame ballot. Beltre finally makes it in on his 7th try, as we predicted, while Cano creeps closer. Beltran appears to be running out of steam and may end up falling short, barring a final ballot surge.

It doens't look like anyone with much of a shot appears for the first time this your, though fan favorites Joey Votto and Andrew McCutchen appear far below the viable threshold. Other familiar names like Wainwright, Altuve, and Price also make an appearance.

Ichiro is still at a disgusting 35%. I may hold a goon vote on Barry/Ichiro and add them manually if the hivemind agrees.

And finally, how did our goons do in 2029? Did Vegeta finally have his year? Did the many goon injuries make room for some new blood?

2029 Goon Status Update

Once again, most goons end up on the MLB roster in the offseason. I think Dugless marks our first 80/80 rated goon - though Replica is just behind at 79/80, and Vegeta keeps creeping up there with 73/80. Somehow, Patrick is still alive at 20/28, and Panda is getting paid despite being 20/20 rated.

2029 Goon Batting Stats

The number of games played tells a sad story - only two goons played in 150+ games, and five in 130+. Injuries really wrecked the goons this year, as we'll see quite a few had "lost" years.

Tim McCracken had probably the worst year among our regular starters, just hitting the Mendoza line at .200 without much power to back it up. He was joined by a coterie of other underperformers - Goku and Glasscock had nearly identical stats, with even less power. All three have to be disappointed with the trajectory of their careers so far.

Jessie Crime made a solid debut, as did McDichel, with a few other goons finally breaking into the game below them. I love that Potato Manjack made exactly one plate appearance as a hitter for some reason, and may even be the first dedicated goon pitcher (other than our two-way players) to make a batting appearance now that we have the universal DH.

A shame he couldn't deliver. Let's hope our lower sample size goons get more regular gigs in 2030.

Among the top performers however, there are a few standouts. Snorp continued his fantastic play, leading the goons in RBI and runs scored as he snagged his first ring. Saito wasn't that fantastic on the hitting side but managed a 3.5 WAR, indicating some excellent defense to complement his consistent hitting. Cincinnati is lucky to have him. Bob Glass deserves similar praise, as he has transformed into a power hitting utility infielder, a somewhat rare but not unheard of player archetype. It will be interesting to watch his development, and the Mets have to be happy about it.

There were two clear leaders on the offensive side this year though, SNK Replica and Bantoni Kemping (honorable mention to Dugless, who missed much of the year with injuries and was kind out of contention with limited play time). Bantoni led the goons with 37 home runs, though look at those strikeouts - he recorded nearly 200 K's this season. Bantoni swings hard, but I do also want to note he led the goons in walks with 56 too. He's becoming the TTO guy we all aspire to be.

I think SNK Replica had overall the better offensive season though - she was only a few dingers short with better contact stats, though an admittedly slightly lower on base percentage. She also appeared a bit less due to her injuries, recording some 120 fewer PA's - which suggests she probably would have led in dingers if she had stayed healthy. An argument could honestly be made for either player, but I think her fielding and significantly better WAR over 80% as many appearances pushes her over the edge.

Thus SNK Replica wins my 2029 Goon Batting Award, congrats!

Goon Pitching Stats

We finally have some new blood on the pitching side of things! Potato Manjack joined our small group of pitchers as a reliever with the Angels, and didn't give up a run over 10.2 innings which is awesome! I hope he stays on the roster and gets more chances in 2029, as he's having something of a renaissance.

Overall while our batters regressed a bit our pitchers made some excellent strides. Contrary to last year, Vegeta finished the year hot, recording his best season yet. A 3.23 ERA over a full season is very admirable, as are the 200 K's and comfortably low HR totals. Vegeta's biggest flaw remains his control - it looks like he's avoiding leaving pitches hanging over the middle of the plate (which is good) but it seems like he's struggling to avoid his pitches wandering outside the strike zone, issuing way too many walks. Unfortunately OOTP doesn't give us breakdowns that granular.

Plusse did a bit better this year and looks to be settling in as a consistent but average hurler. That's not a bad thing - Detroit missed the playoffs by one win, and an entire roster of Plusse-like pitchers is much to be desired when you are struggling for consistent starters. He continues to improve a little bit each season too, hopefully suggesting an even better future.

Dougless didn't get much action in the second half, and continues to be the worst pitcher among goons.

Charlie Brown had a frustrating 2029 - he got promoted, did well, then got demoted and did even better. I really hope the Dodgers stop teasing him and giving him such limited pitching time, but it is eerily appropriate for his character.

This may become rote, but Prince Vegeta once again wins my 2029 Goon Pitching Award! I hope more goons get promoted or get some MLB appearances so they can give him some competition.

2029 Goon Fielding Stats

Last but not least, we take a look at goon fielding. Once again Tim McCracken was Mr. Butterfingers and led the goons in errors, despite otherwise having decent range. Snorp joined him in the world of lovely fielding at first, though less error prone than Tim. AJ Kalan is sort of the bizarro Tim McCracken - he doesn't make errors and has a great arm, but his range is awful, and he is slow to get to balls when they're hit his way.

Bob Glass was the most notably effective fielder this season, with only 1 error, great range, and an even more impressive Zone Rating/Efficiency Rating. SNK Replica and Reggie Blank also had decent defensive seasons, but Glass appears to be our new fielding powerhouse for now.

And so 2029 is behind us, a year of big debuts and disappointments. Our erstwhile hero Reggie Blank took a backseat to our newbies as his Tigers foursome fell just short of the playoffs, while Kemping and Replica have begun a rookie rivalry. Vegeta has come of his own, and some of our languishing minor league goons are finally getting their chance to get into the majors. 2029 was the year of the injury, and I hope it remains an anomaly.

We notably haven't had a goon retirement for some time, which is heartening, but time is running out on a few of our young stars.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 9, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Kinda disappointing that the Tigers didn't even make the playoffs...

Come to think of it, has Plusse ever gotten an injury (after that one immediately after getting drafted) or suspended yet? It seems a little improbable that he's made it this far without causing any real problems for the Tigers...

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Well, Billy Dee's probably not able to right the ship by this point. What a lazy man!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CptWedgie posted:

Kinda disappointing that the Tigers didn't even make the playoffs...

Come to think of it, has Plusse ever gotten an injury (after that one immediately after getting drafted) or suspended yet? It seems a little improbable that he's made it this far without causing any real problems for the Tigers...

Despite being rated as fragile:

Plusse only has had day to day injuries, aside from the massive heart palpatations he had right after he got drafted. Some of those day to day injuries have lasted some time and did screw him up a bit (might explain his 2028 struggles a bit), but he's never technically been on the DL his entire career. Kinda amazing.

EDIT: Also, he's sad:

But only about his own performance. He loves his goon teammates but feels like he's let them down.

Double Edit: I noticed something about the Tigers rotation:

They ended the season with a 4 man rotation because two of their starters got badly hurt and would miss the entire playoffs. I guess they were hoping to ride that and use a 3-4 man rotation in the playoffs (which you can get away with because the schedule is more forgiving.) Such a shame, those injuries probably cost them their chance.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 9, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hell yeah Replica :toot: If she can put together a full season she's gonna hit 40/40 doubles/dingers for sure.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Man, Kalan's rating/potential have really fallen off a cliff from last season. What a $50 million contract does to a guy, it seems.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

Despite being rated as fragile:

Plusse only has had day to day injuries, aside from the massive heart palpatations he had right after he got drafted. Some of those day to day injuries have lasted some time and did screw him up a bit (might explain his 2028 struggles a bit), but he's never technically been on the DL his entire career. Kinda amazing.

EDIT: Also, he's sad:

But only about his own performance. He loves his goon teammates but feels like he's let them down.
On the one hand, it's weird how injury-resistant he's proving to be (in addition to being weirdly well-behaved), in blatant defiance of his internal values. On the other... some of those injuries look devastating for a left-handed pitcher; I don't know how much a pitcher is expected to use his legs, but he's gotten three injuries to his throwing arm and two more to his torso.

And honestly, he probably shouldn't be so hard on himself re: his performance; he's already pitching well above his weight class, asking for more is just unrealistic.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

The Tigers clearly need to fire their trainer. McCracken is going to need to have a bounce back year next season or it could get start getting grim for him.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm glad my man McDichael is finally getting noticed.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, José Alface ratings aren't looking abismal anymore! And he got 6 games (and a home run!) in the MLB, that's nice to see!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Oof, that's quite a potential drop for Adam. Bad season all around.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bad year for Douglas but hell yeah on giving the business to an ump, gently caress em.

I'd love to see which three coaches thought they could physically drag him back to the dugout.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Everyone jobbed by the writers AGAIN.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My boy O'Doyle is going to go for the record of longest stint in A without ever moving (although I think he went up to AA for a little bit?)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

if ichiro doesn't make the HOF we riot

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Lol 20/20 with a MLB contract? Howwwwwwww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

Lol 20/20 with a MLB contract? Howwwwwwww

Remember that all the ratings are from our lovely scout, and come with some inherent variation and uncertainty. It could be that another team's scout saw something in a player, or more accurately assessed their skills a bit higher. Sometimes teams need people to eat up innings and fill in during rebuilding periods too. There's always hope until your guy retires!