Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
One can spend a while nerding out about settlement risk, failed trades, and what clearinghouses actually do to appreciate that there is probably a nonzero role for a CBDC, but the benefits would be marginal (because clearing/netting fees today are marginal) and one would pay about as much attention to it as one does to Euronext or LCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I remember when contactless first became a thing using card kinda felt like you weren't spending money really but oddly now using cash makes me feel the same. I buy something with paper I have in my pocket and nothing comes out of my bank account. It's basically free!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only good thing about cash money for me is that I hate having it on my person so much I end up chucking anything less than a pound in charity tubs (if I come across a not poo poo charity).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

It is impressive how innovative the Girobank and how it forced the private banks to improve to compete.

Also regarding CDBCs and privacy, the government can already see what you do with your bank account, either because the banks have to report when there are suspicions of money laundering etc. or via :nsa:
A CDBC could probably be implemented in a way that preserves some privacy, but considering who the government (and the opposition ) is, that is unlikely to happen in the UK.
I guess it's similar to ID cards in that some countries use them as a gateway for crypto technology to do everything from signing for your pension or other benefits to picking up a parcel to accessing tax portals and medical records to securely emailing your doctor or solicitor, and other countries use them to harass minorities, and all of the debate in the UK was slanted heavily one way.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

As a market trader, even in the three years I’ve been fudge peddling it’s been interesting to see the shift in payments- in 2020 I took probably 75% cash, but nowadays it’s generally about 66% card.

There is still a great deal of satisfaction in slapping down a pile of notes more than an inch thick to make a deposit at my local post office though, ngl. Feels more ‘real’ somehow. (Last weekend was a /very/ good one. Also got ‘stairs’ed’ in the wild for the first time in forever!)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah feels like COVID was really the death knell for cash transactions anywhere that already had decent-ish infrastructure for accepting contactless payments

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Other than yesterday’s shopping I’m pretty sure I’ve only used cash to pay for tattoos over probably the last 5-6 years.

There’s a cash point round the corner from the studio where I had my last few big pieces done and pretty much every other appointment the bank would block my card because of ‘unusual activity’ when I tried to take money out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I pretty much only use cash now to allow tradesmen to commit tax fraud (and obviously receive a discount in the process)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

As a market trader, even in the three years I’ve been fudge peddling it’s been interesting to see the shift in payments- in 2020 I took probably 75% cash, but nowadays it’s generally about 66% card.

There is still a great deal of satisfaction in slapping down a pile of notes more than an inch thick to make a deposit at my local post office though, ngl. Feels more ‘real’ somehow. (Last weekend was a /very/ good one. Also got ‘stairs’ed’ in the wild for the first time in forever!)

‘stairs’ed’ - explain like I'm 5 - never heard that expression before!

I use cash only on the last 2 working days of the month because otherwise tardiness on retailers taking debit card payments from my bank accounts upsets the opening balances of my accounts on my spreadsheet. (I start every single month with the exact same amount and have just one 'messy' account with a messy amount of money in it).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ There used to be a super secret way of identifying another goon in public which was asking if they have stairs in their house, and the correct response was "I am protected."

Based on an old lowtax icq prank.

Anyway, Rafael Behr asking the real questions before Corbyn can hit him with the heart attack gun again.

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1622619609986654209?t=VnYwmlVZiRnKPQtsxh_gFQ&s=19

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 7, 2023

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=517

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Old skool goon shibboleth/identifier from one of Lowtax’s ICQ(?) pranks.

‘Do you have stairs in your house?’
‘No, I’m protected.’

Often shortened to ‘Stairs?’ ‘Protected’.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ta. I never knew that dictionary existed :)

So it's kinda like shaking hands with a bent thumb or whatever.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ta. I never knew that dictionary existed :)

So it's kinda like shaking hands with a bent thumb or whatever.

Exactly, but with slightly less implied noncery.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1622916027506954240

:toot:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

Other than yesterday’s shopping I’m pretty sure I’ve only used cash to pay for tattoos over probably the last 5-6 years.

There’s a cash point round the corner from the studio where I had my last few big pieces done and pretty much every other appointment the bank would block my card because of ‘unusual activity’ when I tried to take money out.

I almost exclusively use cash because I am loving terrible with money & if I went fully digital I would run out of money in about 8 minutes. For whatever reason I find it much easier to keep track of by having to go to a cash machine, put in £x & then exchanging that.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

It's funny how having a ministerial position named after a specific thing (net zero, levelling up, etc) pretty much guarantees that thing is not happening.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Today the unelected leader of the junta, weighed down with criminality and corruption and desperate to invigorate his failed government and shore up his plummeting popularity, reshuffled the deckchairs.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The only physical cash I've ever used since the before times has been to tip food delivery people or give to buskers/homeless. I rarely see either, so can have the same fiver in my wallet for months at a time.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1622941374810148871

:toot:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think I've used cash in literal years now, contactless is way too easy especially just using my phone.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Does he know the question itself is flawed? He's a grauniad columnist, yes? So maybe he doesn't.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

Does he know the question itself is flawed? He's a grauniad columnist, yes? So maybe he doesn't.

He blamed Jeremy Corbyn for him having a character, so no, he's exceptionally stupid

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Only Kindness posted:

I just found it funny that the guy who was such an expert in economics and why Corbyn was going to bankrupt the UK is now openly asking twitter for an economics 101.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I am regularly impressed how you all remember these random journalists (columnists?) by name and what they have said in the past.

I never know who any of these people are, and I used to actually read the Guardian on a regular basis.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Behr is a special case because of the time he blamed Corbyn for his heart attack. Got himself so worked up over not having the working classes to feel superior to that he almost died, and instead of backing off or self reflecting he wrote a column about how Jeremy Crombles hit him with the CIA heart attack gun.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 7, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I am regularly impressed how you all remember these random journalists (columnists?) by name and what they have said in the past.

I never know who any of these people are, and I used to actually read the Guardian on a regular basis.

It's fine, I can't remember anything important, just useless garbage like why I hate each Guardian opinion writer :(

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

^^^ There used to be a super secret way of identifying another goon in public which was asking if they have stairs in their house, and the correct response was "I am protected."

Based on an old lowtax icq prank.

Anyway, Rafael Behr asking the real questions before Corbyn can hit him with the heart attack gun again.

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1622619609986654209?t=VnYwmlVZiRnKPQtsxh_gFQ&s=19

Some Rich men did it and ran away

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

forkboy84 posted:

It's fine, I can't remember anything important, just useless garbage like why I hate each Guardian opinion writer :(

You should change it to just remembering the ones you like, be far easier.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

@karlmarx

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I did a food shop earlier and they're now selling a huge loving 1kg sack of mini eggs; leaving it on the shelf to prevent myself horfing the lot in a single afternoon took an incredible amount of willpower and to be honest I'd like people to tell me how responsible and adult I am because I kind of regret it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Christ

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ evil roy walker

I have started limiting myself to the bags of mini creme eggs, because I am a disgusting animal with no self control when it comes to the big eggs, and I absolutely will bankrupt myself buying a 6 pack every day.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have started limiting myself to the bags of mini creme eggs, because I am a disgusting animal with no self control when it comes to the big eggs, and I absolutely will bankrupt myself buying a 6 pack every day.

I have a real problem with them and won't be buying any this year.

My parents used to get me and my brother 100 creme eggs each at easter. Last year when I was dieting over the summer I found myself budgeting my calories so I could eat at least 3 a day and stay in a deficit. I considered whether I should try and put myself off them by having a day in which I'd only take in calories from creme eggs and I figured I could probably east about 15 or so. I didn't go ahead with the plan because I knew it would not put me off them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

My parents used to get me and my brother 100 creme eggs each at easter. Last year when I was dieting over the summer I found myself budgeting my calories so I could eat at least 3 a day and stay in a deficit. I considered whether I should try and put myself off them by having a day in which I'd only take in calories from creme eggs and I figured I could probably east about 15 or so. I didn't go ahead with the plan because I knew it would not put me off them.

My dad was a total chocolate addict and he read that people who went to work for Cadburys were allowed to scarf as much chocolate as they wanted when they started because after a week they'd never want to taste the stuff again. Anyway, he tried that (not working at Cadburys but shovelling multiple bars of chocolate into his face) but it never put him off. I have also tried this with various substances such as butterscotch icecream, it didn't work for me either.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

AI image prompt: two punchable faces

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I pretty much only use cash now to allow tradesmen to commit tax fraud (and obviously receive a discount in the process)

I do that too, I don't feel bad about it since the government keeps giving the richest ways to tax plan and moving the tax burden downwards and are basically trying to fight tax flight by soley going after regular people instead of big corps, so screw 'em.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

One time when I was a teenager at a friend's house somebody brought up a person they'd seen on TV who could fit three creme eggs in their mouth at once. I blurted out "that doesn't seem so hard", after which my friend's father immediately fetched three creme eggs, handed them to me and said "off you go then".

I learnt an important lesson about talking poo poo that day as chocolatey drool ran down my chin.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

TACD posted:

One time when I was a teenager at a friend's house somebody brought up a person they'd seen on TV who could fit three creme eggs in their mouth at once. I blurted out "that doesn't seem so hard", after which my friend's father immediately fetched three creme eggs, handed them to me and said "off you go then".

I learnt an important lesson about talking poo poo that day as chocolatey drool ran down my chin.

You learned another valuable lesson: you need to train until you can fit three creme eggs in your mouth at once.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

You should change it to just remembering the ones you like, be far easier.

Rest in Power Dawn Foster :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tesseraction posted:

AI image prompt: two punchable faces

It has got that AI slightly wrong proportions and facial expressions.