Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ungulateman posted:

i'm a big fan of the part where griss has 48 magical attack and capped defense as a sage, making him basically immune to everything except the hardest-hitting physical attacks in the game at that point and killing anyone on your team in two hits, making him the easiest of the eight bosses on the map

Eh, Marni is a paper tiger imo. Bottom tier Res and no distant counter makes her an easy pickoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Natural 20 posted:

Eh, Marni is a paper tiger imo. Bottom tier Res and no distant counter makes her an easy pickoff.

she's linked with mauvier and hold out++ means you need to use your entire team to kill her anyway, and then the giant Game Over Zone the game calls a 'wyrm' abuses the terrain to kill you with no danger of retaliation

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Eh, even without that he’s still kinda fallen off, but it’s kind of hard not to do so when you go from “lol non effective physical damage, just lmao” to merely being one of the best armor knights in the series and taking chip damage from silver weapons that would two-three round your other guys.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

You dealt with Marni every time by having Ivy drop her to 1hp with a double attack and then letting someone finish her off with a nearby chain attack unit, so it doesn't even matter if they do 0 damage (and Ivy has Lucina anyway) then dancing on Iylvy for another hit and then someone else getting the last hit again

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've been using Jade + Ike as my armor, and she's been a very consistent and reliable member of the team. In particular, she's been getting huge mileage out of smash weapons - I keep encountering situations where other weapons would leave an enemy on 2-3 HP, but the extra Mt on a smash axe tips it over into a one-shot, and Jade has enough Dex to consistently hit with smash weapons along with the armor to not care about getting hit first. Axe power from Ike just hones the role further.

Jade has been a lifesaver. Aside from Three Hopes, this is the first FE where I've felt like an armor knight (now general) has been a consistently valuable member of the crew.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

he falls off during the absence of a certain ring

I just made him a Great Knight and kept on trucking. He loses the ability to not get broken but keeps most of his defense so it was worth it

He kinda fell off a bit during the later parts of the mid-game but now that I'm at endgame he's back to taking 0 damage from things again.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I have my Louis a spear with Eirika’s engraving on it and his counterattacks jumped up to 100% hit and 20% crit, he killed most anyone who stepped to him

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I also made Louis a great knight and then benched him immediately

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CharlestonJew posted:

I have my Louis a spear with Eirika’s engraving on it and his counterattacks jumped up to 100% hit and 20% crit, he killed most anyone who stepped to him

Me too. Has yours started doubling fools yet?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I sometimes have Louis using a Silver Greatlance that weighs him down so much he has literally 0 Speed and yet it works out because he still takes 0 damage and then with Momentum he then hits them for like 50-60 damage in one strike

Smash weapons are good actually

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I like the Hurricane axe quite a bit, and I use the random ones I have lying around as a finishing weapon, after I break an enemy with something weaker.

I should probably get to forging more, but I want to make sure my team is all lined up and promoted in their real class first.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I actually think the smash dagger might have some applications with a thief, since you can be so evasive that letting the enemy strike first is a lot less risky. The knockback part is extremely situational but the "just do a fuckload of damage in one hit" part is pretty nice.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah now that I’ve played through the game I don’t think I’m going to go general again, you can bait + abuse breaks from the ai and mobility still ends up being king. But drat is it fun early on in sub maddening difficulties.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I kinda wonder what generals would be like if they got a movement on promote but enemy generals having 5 move sounds way more annoying than what the player would get out of it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ike paralogue was rough, basically had to stall out until byleth was charged so i can do alear powered dire thunder, dance dire, blyth dance dire, dance dire again.

One mercy for the paralogue was no dagger users, the most frightning enemies in maddening.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I actually did find that Louis is more effective bait as a Great Knight than an Armor Knight/General because he can (theoretically) be broken. I've had enemies go for him just to go for the break instead of attacking someone they can damage a lot more. The AI loves to prioritize breaks.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harrow posted:

I actually think the smash dagger might have some applications with a thief, since you can be so evasive that letting the enemy strike first is a lot less risky. The knockback part is extremely situational but the "just do a fuckload of damage in one hit" part is pretty nice.

Does the smash effect only work when you initiate the attack? That limits it a little bit, but having a decent chance of the enemy Hamedo completely missing you goes a long way to mitigating the worst part of smash weapons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Does the smash effect only work when you initiate the attack? That limits it a little bit, but having a decent chance of the enemy Hamedo completely missing you goes a long way to mitigating the worst part of smash weapons.

Yeah, it only works on player phase. There also aren't a ton of cases I've found where pushing an enemy back one space is all that useful. Hypothetically it would be great for knocking bosses off their avoid/heal tiles but most bosses move on their own so you don't ever really need to do that.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Enemy coverts will frequently take a good avoid tile.

What we really need is a smash spell.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ungulateman posted:

i'm a big fan of the part where griss has 48 magical attack and capped defense as a sage, making him basically immune to everything except the hardest-hitting physical attacks in the game at that point and killing anyone on your team in two hits, making him the easiest of the eight bosses on the map

If only there was a staff that completely shut down tome users.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Reik posted:

If only there was a staff that completely shut down tome users.

yeah i'm sure that'll be really helpful for the seven more dangerous enemies that i was alluding to

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man that guy was barely a blip in my Chapter 17 playthrough

All I did was bait out his Warp Ragnarok with a high-Res unit, then gang up on him because he warped like half the map away from all his backup and couldn't do poo poo

ungulateman posted:

yeah i'm sure that'll be really helpful for the seven more dangerous enemies that i was alluding to

That's where you bust out the Freeze staff and/or Corrin's ability to freeze in an AoE

I've been able to stall several turns in a row on a lot of tough maps just by having Alear engage with Corrin and keep locking down bosses with Dreadful Aura

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
give louis a smash weapon and he'll go far. give him the legendary lance and he'll go the furthest.

part of me does kind of hope they do multi-routes again in the future, despite engage being far better for being a one. forty chapters in a single playthrough, even if half of those are optional, is pretty fatigue-inducing when every one of them are absolutely vicious on account of time travel being a thing. forty chapters with mostly the same group also gets a little stale, esp considering there are some rings that completely shake up the tactics you can do (sigurd, lyn, byleth, lucina kind of) and then there's the rest

there is such a thing as too much FE

still my favorite but lord

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ungulateman posted:

i'll give advice on the other seven if you'd like, this was the only one you called out specifically as giving you trouble

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They were making a joke about how even the weakest of the bosses still had maxed stats and other tomfoolery to worry about. This game is pretty close to fe4 in terms of enemy super units.

E: also its really funny seeing other people talk about bosses on difficulty settings lower than me. It's like oh, you mean everyone's Marni doesn't have 4-5 health bars all of which can absorb a round of lethal combat?

I definitely enjoy it though. All the extra healthbars make "oh poo poo burn the boss" into a challenge in and of itself. Which is good, because this game has been very good at overcoming my normal desire to clean sweep the map and I find myself rushing the boss down a ton.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 7, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hold Out is not an extra life. It's a choice between an extra life or figuring out how to avoid the extra life. Sometimes option A is easier, and sometimes option B is easier.

The real killer on that map is Mauvier, who, regardless of his hit/crit percentage, if it is not 0, seemingly both will hit you and will crit you.

~~~
Is anything stopping a Tiki character from flying around a hard map gobbling up all the engagement bar bonus squares and awarding everyone on your team an extra life?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nintendo Direct tomorrow, I’m hoping they’ll announce the next DLC bracelet(s)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I don't know if you all are talking about Maddening specifically or what, but on Hard the only bosses that have given me trouble are the silly optional ones on Sigurd's paralogue

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So currently I have Ike’s Engraving on my Thunder used by my Dire Thunder mage to maximise damage. Should I change to an engraving that gives a higher crit rate or focus on damage?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hold Out is not an extra life. It's a choice between an extra life or figuring out how to avoid the extra life. Sometimes option A is easier, and sometimes option B is easier.

The real killer on that map is Mauvier, who, regardless of his hit/crit percentage, if it is not 0, seemingly both will hit you and will crit you.

~~~
Is anything stopping a Tiki character from flying around a hard map gobbling up all the engagement bar bonus squares and awarding everyone on your team an extra life?

Yes, you can only have one extra life active at a time. If you give someone else one it gets rid of it on the first unit.

I had the same idea, rip

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

jimmydalad posted:

So currently I have Ike’s Engraving on my Thunder used by my Dire Thunder mage to maximise damage. Should I change to an engraving that gives a higher crit rate or focus on damage?

No this is definitely the way. Your Dire Thunder user is very likely to get ORKOs because of the raw power. Your crit engravings will be better served on killer weapons to make other people's oneshot potential more reliable.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

Man that guy was barely a blip in my Chapter 17 playthrough

All I did was bait out his Warp Ragnarok with a high-Res unit, then gang up on him because he warped like half the map away from all his backup and couldn't do poo poo

Part of me thinks its intentional that he just gets himself hosed up real bad despite ramming half his stat caps since, you know, it’s his thing and all. No question at all on how to deal with him, even compared to the zombie wyrm which only has one health bar and good but not general-good defenses and lowish hit

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Is there any place which has the effects of the class subtypes (Covert, Mystical, etc) on the Engage skills and attacks with no spoilers? Cause serenes doesn't have things like Lyn's Astral Storm having +10 range on Covert.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zore posted:

Yes, you can only have one extra life active at a time. If you give someone else one it gets rid of it on the first unit.

I had the same idea, rip

This is a thing I would have never discovered on accident, but it's almost certainly good for the game, and hey, it's even internally consistent like the engravings.

On that note, I am glad that the enemy hasn't decided to engrave any of their weapons, because I would be sad to lose my Micaiah engrave

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Is there any place which has the effects of the class subtypes (Covert, Mystical, etc) on the Engage skills and attacks with no spoilers? Cause serenes doesn't have things like Lyn's Astral Storm having +10 range on Covert.

Here you go!
https://fe17.triangleattack.com/skills#engage_skill

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Veryslightlymad posted:

I forget what level of the skill Marni has, but it very quickly hits the point where even if you don't activate it, you've functionally activated it. Leaving her at less than 10% hp or 1hp is basically identical tactically.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Triangle attack is a better resource to use. Serenes is pretty barebones these days (and fwiw I think it’s focus has definitely shifted more heavily to things like rom hacking on the forums over the years)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh drat I didn't even know about that Triangle Attack site, that's great

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Last Celebration posted:

Part of me thinks its intentional that he just gets himself hosed up real bad despite ramming half his stat caps since, you know, it’s his thing and all. No question at all on how to deal with him, even compared to the zombie wyrm which only has one health bar and good but not general-good defenses and lowish hit

Very fitting since he warped into Pandreo for 5 damage then Framme kicked him in the dick until he died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I realize this probably would never happen but I'd love it if the story DLC ended up being a postgame campaign, maybe having to do with the Emblem of Foundations. Really though I'd just love to have more maps to play with fun late-game toys like Engage+ and Alear's personal 1-2 range sword that you only get for one chapter.

Most likely it'll be a siloed mini campaign you just access from the title screen where you don't get to use any of your "own" units like Cindered Shadows but I can dream