Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bosch 500 coming next Monday let's gooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Sundae posted:

Literally a conversation this morning:

Me: "Hey honey, what do you think about replacing this lovely carpet? [Our kid] did a number on it."
Wife: "No way. She'll just ruin the new one."
Me: "She's old enough now; do you really think she--"
*Our three-year-old runs past us with a squeeze-pudding, squirting raspberry puree all over the carpet as she goes.*
Me: "[KID'S NAME], PUT DOWN THE PUDDING."
Kid: "I am chaos!"
Wife: "You were saying?"

I'll replace this horrid poo poo before we move. :smith:

We were working hard to clean up our house to sell and my then-4 yo son did a huge crayon mural up my freshly painted stairwell. Maddening.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
House Ownership: Skip the kids, enjoy the carpet

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My wife and I are starting our home purchasing journey. This is already Not Fun™

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

George H.W. oval office posted:

My wife and I are starting our home purchasing journey. This is already Not Fun™

Oh boy what's the worst part so far? The documentation? The realization of what you can actually afford?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

George H.W. oval office posted:

There is a home buying thread.

But yeah, it was the second most stressful thing I've ever done, I had knowledge of all the concepts and words, and did it mostly online with better.com

Still stressful, my wife broke down crying and made me deal with everything and I already mostly was, I just needed information from her mostly.

First stressful event were the times I was destitute and especially when I was destitute and owed back taxes.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 8, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Cross posted from the other thread.

Furnace stopped working 2 days before I had to leave on a week long work trip. I had replaced the ignitor last year. Ordered a new pressure switch ($140) but showed my wife how to install it since I wouldn't be there. She installed it and nothing. She calls a pro and he can't come until the day I get back. He shows up, spends a few minutes looking things over and then it fires up. All he did was switch the leads on the pressure switch. He was gone in 20 minutes. $400 later the furnace worked.

Glad to know I diagnosed the correct part, wish I had been more specific on where the wires went.

Then

We had arborists come and quote our 2 black poplars behind the house. We have no easy way to get them out so I knew they wouldn't be cheap. They're about 4-5' thick at the base, maybe 50-70' tall. One has split into two trunks and is 18" from our roof line and drops sticks and branches into our roof constantly. Also need to have an independent third party arborist survey the trees.

Independent arborist 1k
First quote, 20k
Second quote 26.5k

:stare:

Best part was that the first guy was standing in my side yard, looks down at my saturated ground that I've been trying to grow grass in and says "you should consider a French drain, I think your yard needs to shed some water.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That sucks but honestly sounds about right for dealing with a nightmare house killer in the most precarious possible spot.

Would it be possible to just do an aggressive trim?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My 4 year old took a poo after holding it in for a week, now the toilet is clogged. Is there a simple 'home owner' solution for this or do I call the plumbers?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Plunger or snake.

That's one hell of a constipootion.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Afraid you're a poop knife family now.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
i see a 3 foot snake for a normal price and a 6 foot snake for a very high price. What do I probably need?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

redreader posted:

My 4 year old took a poo after holding it in for a week, now the toilet is clogged. Is there a simple 'home owner' solution for this or do I call the plumbers?

Welcome to my life

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

redreader posted:

i see a 3 foot snake for a normal price and a 6 foot snake for a very high price. What do I probably need?

Did you try a correctly-set-up plunger first? (That flappy bit at the bottom actually matters.)

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
If you need a snake to clear a monster turd, I think you ought to consider some diet changes for the little one.

A plunger should be more than adequate, and if you don't have one then you really ought to get one because you never know when you'll need it.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 10, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

If you need a snake to clear a monster turd, I think you ought to consider some diet changes for the little one.

A plunger should be more than adequate, and if you don't have one then you really ought to get one.

Heavily-fortified flours and completely-whole grains.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I gotta be honest, if a kid of mine managed to clog the crapper at 4 I'd be insanely proud.

That kid is making GBS threads well above their grade level.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Have you checked for any gnawed off sections of drywall?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I swear I left that bag of quikrete around here somewhere...

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Plunger first, then wire coathanger, then 3 foot snake. If none of that works call the freeze team and pray the containment field is enough.

Odds are the clog is just in the first bend beyond the bowl so the coathanger will probably do you if the plunger doesn't.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It doesn't get better as they get older. I plunge my kids toilet 2 or 3 times a week thanks to my son's monster shits. Dude needs more fiber or something.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maybe get a better toilet

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Maybe get a better toilet

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

When will they advertise it flushing a summer sausage?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
poo situation update:

I was in a meeting when my wife came in saying she'd been plunging, flushed by mistake causing an overflow, and the water wasn't draining at all. I would have tried plunging myself but the toilet was FULL. I went to Ace and got a 3 foot snake. After trying really hard and failing a lot, I put it more or less all the way in, retracted it, and there was a bit of a difference. I put it back in all the way again (After spending 10 minutes the first time, convinced I couldn't get it all the way in) and did a final push for the last inch of length of the 3 foot snake, and suddenly the water level in the toilet dropped. There might be a toy in there or something, he stuck one in there in the previous rental house. Either way it's fixed, flushing properly, and there are a bunch of nice grey marks at the bottom of the bowl now where I scratched the living poo poo out of the toilet, as it were. Whatever.

And yes in order to get him to poo more we've been trying and trying: miralax, bananas, lots of fruit etc, but he's scared of taking a poo so he only does it once a week. He used to do it in his diapers at night (multiple times a night!) but since we stopped with his diapers, it's been tough getting him to poo more regularly.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
It’s a miracle we have gotten this far as a species ain’t it?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Inner Light posted:

It’s a miracle we have gotten this far as a species ain’t it?

Lmfao I was about to post this as well, just astounding

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

redreader posted:

poo situation update:

I was in a meeting when my wife came in saying she'd been plunging, flushed by mistake causing an overflow, and the water wasn't draining at all. I would have tried plunging myself but the toilet was FULL. I went to Ace and got a 3 foot snake. After trying really hard and failing a lot, I put it more or less all the way in, retracted it, and there was a bit of a difference. I put it back in all the way again (After spending 10 minutes the first time, convinced I couldn't get it all the way in) and did a final push for the last inch of length of the 3 foot snake, and suddenly the water level in the toilet dropped. There might be a toy in there or something, he stuck one in there in the previous rental house. Either way it's fixed, flushing properly, and there are a bunch of nice grey marks at the bottom of the bowl now where I scratched the living poo poo out of the toilet, as it were. Whatever.

And yes in order to get him to poo more we've been trying and trying: miralax, bananas, lots of fruit etc, but he's scared of taking a poo so he only does it once a week. He used to do it in his diapers at night (multiple times a night!) but since we stopped with his diapers, it's been tough getting him to poo more regularly.

Yeah, I’m sorry nobody here told you to get the toilet specific snake with a rubber shroud to keep it from scratching the porcelain.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you'll be an expert in a few years. I have never used a snake, but plunger was like > 50% shits when I was a teen. If I had to go at a friend's house, it was like "drat I hope they have a plunger"

A few tips-
Know where the shutoff valve is and be able to close it rapido.
The bowl being almost full is actually ideal, gets the most pressure, just need a little clearance so waves don't crest over.
With any plunger you have to get the air out. The basic model that's trivial, but the deluxe one with the extended lip you gotta kinda pre plunge to get the air out. Those accordion plungers might be a gimmick, but maybe kinda help, for sure they need a lot of finegaling to get them fullish of water. Also they're gonna get nasty quicker I bet

The other trick is getting a good seal so you're not just swishing water around the bowl. Depends on the bowl shape and plunger type, but you'll get the hang of it. Cold water and stiffer rubber make it harder

Maybe teach him to flush poo before wiping, or I dunno prune smoothies (I don't actually have diet/supplement advice, someone else do that please I haven't been regular in months)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Fiber gummies every day twice a day. We also added frosted miniwheats as a snack for my kid. Not stoked about the sugar but the rest of his diet isn't much better.

Works for adults too. Slam a glass of Metamucil and then drink plenty of water. They make it with real sugar, fake sugar, and unsweetened. Careful with the unsweetened the measurements are tsp not tbsp. :v:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Epitope posted:

plunger was like > 50% shits when I was a teen.

Well drat we had very different childhoods.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

StormDrain posted:

When will they advertise it flushing a summer sausage?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

I could never eat more than six myself.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

How much of a pain in the dick is fitting a new interior door?

Basically there is one that is janky and bad. I understand that most of the door kits come with a frame, but I’d like to avoid reframing if I can.

But I’ve also heard that fitting just a door to an existing frame can be annoying.

I could also rehab the existing door but it would involve probably plugging the existing door knob hole and cutting a new one in addition to the usual stripping/sanding/painting. Maybe. Frankly I still need to figure out how bad the doorknob / latch situation is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

How much of a pain in the dick is fitting a new interior door?

Basically there is one that is janky and bad. I understand that most of the door kits come with a frame, but I’d like to avoid reframing if I can.

But I’ve also heard that fitting just a door to an existing frame can be annoying.

I could also rehab the existing door but it would involve probably plugging the existing door knob hole and cutting a new one in addition to the usual stripping/sanding/painting. Maybe. Frankly I still need to figure out how bad the doorknob / latch situation is.

The reason most doors are sold as a unit with frames is because fitting a door to a frame/hinges is big boy carpentry of the likes very few people are capable of anymore. There are tools and jigs (that are expensive) to help with this, but you still need to be able to channel old school carpenter to make it work right.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I would either come to terms with framing or rehab the existing door. I wouldn't take a standalone door and start hanging it unless you really love finely adjusting hinge mortising. You probably don't need to fill the knob hole, just make some adjustments to the strike plate. All of this is easier than hanging a door.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Even putting a prehung door into a poorly framed or warped structure can be a huge pain in the rear end.

Refinishing the door is likely your most sanity-preserving option.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

The reason most doors are sold as a unit with frames is because fitting a door to a frame/hinges is big boy carpentry of the likes very few people are capable of anymore. There are tools and jigs (that are expensive) to help with this, but you still need to be able to channel old school carpenter to make it work right.

Do you feel like going into more detail? I'm fascinated.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you feel like going into more detail? I'm fascinated.

Motronic despite any friction other posters have perceived and posted about (I am uninterested in drama) rarely lets down on fascinating details.

For more in the meantime, here's some level of explanation on I believe what he's talking about : https://www.thespruce.com/pre-hung-door-vs-slab-door-1822898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thanks. I'll do what I can to salvage the existing door.

H110Hawk posted:

You probably don't need to fill the knob hole, just make some adjustments to the strike plate. All of this is easier than hanging a door.

The whole knob/strike plate area is just so hosed. Someone in the past changed doorknobs and made some pretty significant alterations to the knob hole. The knob doesn't really fit right and the latch is clearly a bout half a cm mis-aligned from the strike plate (which is original). It looks like the "chiseling" work they did on the bit of the door facing the frame side was done with an especially blunt screwdriver.