Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Had a discussion with a friend yesterday about my hermit status (I wasn't up for going away for 3 days to convention for a close friends birthday, I couldnt see a way to eat and sleep at low risk, or at least a way that would be fun)

He was arguing that in his experiences, the reinfections are increasingly mild. I disagreed and he messaged me today about sources for the studies I mentioned. The first post google doc seems dead, anyone got any cool studies to fire his way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

HidaO-Win posted:

Had a discussion with a friend yesterday about my hermit status (I wasn't up for going away for 3 days to convention for a close friends birthday, I couldnt see a way to eat and sleep at low risk, or at least a way that would be fun)

He was arguing that in his experiences, the reinfections are increasingly mild. I disagreed and he messaged me today about sources for the studies I mentioned. The first post google doc seems dead, anyone got any cool studies to fire his way?

How’s this? https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/repeat-covid-19-infections-increase-risk-of-organ-failure-death/

“Overall, the researchers found that people with COVID-19 reinfections were twice as likely to die and three times more likely to be hospitalized than those with no reinfection.

Additionally, people with repeat infections were 3½ times more likely to develop lung problems, three times more likely to suffer heart conditions and 1.6 times more likely to experience brain conditions than patients who had been infected with the virus once.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02051-3

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/markmpainter/status/1622961165662920709?s=46&t=Q-OsSAh83kUbeDhaVxJy-Q

thread

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

HidaO-Win posted:

In my experiences your friend has tempered his conviction and nothing you send them will alter his point of view

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pingui posted:

I am pretty surprised by these numbers, I would have figured the recovery to be more or less complete at this point. I guess China has more of an impact here than I expected.

I haven't updated these numbers for January 2023 but when I looked at TSA passengers screened data (a good surrogate for number of air travelers) a month ago 2022 had stabilized at about 90% of 2019.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1622924660664053762?t=fNidFapvieF_g54dWjfArQ&s=19

Odd time to announce it considering the government is pretending it's over and it's the middle of summer.

Only 44% got the 4th dose, down from 95ish percent for the mandatory (to work, travel, or do anything) second dose.

I really want a booster but according to this article you can't have had covid in the last six months

I am not sure I even know of that many people who haven't had covid in the last six months!

I had covid in December, how terrible would it be to lie in order to secure a booster shot in the next month or so? I am pretty sure there is no way of cross referencing.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Cretin90 posted:

How’s this? https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/repeat-covid-19-infections-increase-risk-of-organ-failure-death/

“Overall, the researchers found that people with COVID-19 reinfections were twice as likely to die and three times more likely to be hospitalized than those with no reinfection.

Additionally, people with repeat infections were 3½ times more likely to develop lung problems, three times more likely to suffer heart conditions and 1.6 times more likely to experience brain conditions than patients who had been infected with the virus once.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02051-3

Thank you kindly, sent that one along.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Jon Irenicus posted:

In my experiences your friend has tempered his conviction and nothing you send them will alter his point of view

I think thats likely, but he considers himself very intelligent, so I’ll do my due diligence.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

tl;Dr - Vaccines are good. who wrote this, some doomer in a cave?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Chewbecca posted:

(..)
I had covid in December, how terrible would it be to lie in order to secure a booster shot in the next month or so? I am pretty sure there is no way of cross referencing.

Buddy, this is the booster bandit thread. Lying to save your health is not only not terrible, it is the only ethical choice.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

please lie. we're begging you. lie so much

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

You need a reason not to lie more than you need a reason to lie.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

HidaO-Win posted:

To my knowledge the only large-scale study that's rigorously evaluated the impact of reinfections is the one Cretin90 posted, Al-Aly's Acute and postacute sequelae associated with SARS-CoV-2 reinfection. The study suggests that all else being equal, the cohort of people with multiple COVID infections within a given period are more likely to have health problems than cohorts with a single infection:

This study has been discussed a lot and might be a case where medical record-based studies can be difficult to interpret. Is the multi-infection cohort really less healthy because of the additional infection, or was their generally poorer health the cause of their multiple diagnosed COVID infections? Al-Aly obviously did control checks and isn't a fool but the results are a little ambiguous.

The larger problem is there don't seem to be many other reinfection studies available. Maybe Al-Aly's study doesn't provide any real evidence that reinfections can cause cumulative health problems. However it's not like there are studies showing that normal healthy vaccinated non-immunocompromised people less than 65 years old that had mild first infections with no PASC issues are in fact totally fine after multiple additional infections, or that additional infections are less severe. The latter is the null-hypothesis that the large majority of people assume is true and will require significant evidence to reject and frankly IMO it's plausible. However it's not supported by any real research to my knowledge.

If people know of other studies that specifically tried to evaluate the impact of COVID reinfections in a large group I'd be interested, as far as I know Al-Aly is the only one that's bothered to actually run the numbers.

Interesting how close these numbers are to Al-Aly's Long-term cardiovascular outcomes of COVID-19. The comment about the rates for cardiac events in hospitalized people matches that seen for influenza is relevant too. It might well be that COVID is not really that much worse than the flu just looking at the short term (6 week) impacts, though one big difference is that you generally don't get the flu multiple times per year.

edit: related as a reminder COVID pneumonia patients seem to develop new-onset dementia at roughly the same rate as people with influenza pneumonia:

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Feb 7, 2023

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's that time of year for the Drug and Alcohol Abuse training again!

Typical 40% alcohol is bad, 40% marijuana is bad, and 20% all the other drugs are bad. This time we got several sides talking about how people drank more during the COVID lockdowns. Liquor Store sales went up an entire 53%!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
OH yea, we crammed 36 people into the break room this year instead of just having it in the shop like we did the last time. I counted 6 different coughs in this group :tif:

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Iron Crowned posted:

Typical 40% alcohol is bad, 40% marijuana is bad, and 20% all the other drugs are bad. This time we got several sides talking about how people drank more during the COVID lockdowns. Liquor Store sales went up an entire 53%!

WTF is this high school poo poo?? I've never had anything like this anywhere I've worked.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I figured out how to abuse alcohol and drugs without any special training

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

A DARE program for adults. AT WORK. I'm losing my poo poo over here.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

HidaO-Win posted:

I think thats likely, but he considers himself very intelligent, so I’ll do my due diligence.
I think people are LESS likely to change their minds if they consider themselves smart. Motivated reasoning is a hell of a thing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You guys don’t have drug testing and mandatory lectures? Must be nice.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

You guys don’t have drug testing and mandatory lectures? Must be nice.

I've worked at a couple places that require testing to get the job but after that, no.

edit: yes, I realize some other professions require regular testing.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
No, never had anti drug training at work.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HoAssHo posted:

WTF is this high school poo poo?? I've never had anything like this anywhere I've worked.

Supposedly in 2003, Ohio made a law that required some sort of drug and alcohol training in order to qualify for state contracts. At the rate my company is burning through people, they're going to have to give up on state contacts, because the only people they'll be able to hire will be tweakers.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Forceholy posted:

Speaking of masks, how do you guys counter the argument that they don't work when they bring up Japan and China getting got in high rates despite high mask usage?

I bring up the wide use of surgical masks as well as just walking away from the argument.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HoAssHo posted:

I've worked at a couple places that require testing to get the job but after that, no.

edit: yes, I realize some other professions require regular testing.

I've worked places that do the same stuff, but it's usually "watch a 15 minute video," and the random drug tests are reserved for people who operate machinery.

Here, we apparently decided we have to attend an hour of some guy telling us drugs are bad, and the random drug tests apply to everyone.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Supposedly in 2003, Ohio made a law that required some sort of drug and alcohol training in order to qualify for state contracts. At the rate my company is burning through people, they're going to have to give up on state contacts, because the only people they'll be able to hire will be tweakers.

I left Ohio in 1999, so I luckily I missed that. I can understand if the training is geared towards trying to keep you from showing up to work drunk/high, but trying to convince you that it's bad in general is really too loving paternalistic and I'm going full libertarian on this one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also I just thought it was funny we crammed a bunch of people into too small of a room, and there were about 5 or so minutes worth of slides talking about how people drank more alcohol because of COVID lockdowns.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

It is. I just got distracted by the entire concept.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Of course back when I was enlisted a group of my NCOs would tip each other off about upcoming tests, “allegedly” falsify results to cover for each other, tear apart our barracks rooms searching for weed, throw the book at people who pissed hot, while they were doing coke at their BBQs, stealing pyrotechnics and ammunition…

Now I have an office job so it’s just a quirk and a break from work to watch some ppts on being safe and sober.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Feb 7, 2023

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Nocturtle posted:

To my knowledge the only large-scale study that's rigorously evaluated the impact of reinfections is the one Cretin90 posted, Al-Aly's Acute and postacute sequelae associated with SARS-CoV-2 reinfection. The study suggests that all else being equal, the cohort of people with multiple COVID infections within a given period are more likely to have health problems than cohorts with a single infection:

This study has been discussed a lot and might be a case where medical record-based studies can be difficult to interpret. Is the multi-infection cohort really less healthy because of the additional infection, or was their generally poorer health the cause of their multiple diagnosed COVID infections? Al-Aly obviously did control checks and isn't a fool but the results are a little ambiguous.

The larger problem is there don't seem to be many other reinfection studies available. Maybe Al-Aly's study doesn't provide any real evidence that reinfections can cause cumulative health problems. However it's not like there are studies showing that normal healthy vaccinated non-immunocompromised people less than 65 years old that had mild first infections with no PASC issues are in fact totally fine after multiple additional infections, or that additional infections are less severe. The latter is the null-hypothesis that the large majority of people assume is true and will require significant evidence to reject and frankly IMO it's plausible. However it's not supported by any real research to my knowledge.

If people know of other studies that specifically tried to evaluate the impact of COVID reinfections in a large group I'd be interested, as far as I know Al-Aly is the only one that's bothered to actually run the numbers.

Interesting how close these numbers are to Al-Aly's Long-term cardiovascular outcomes of COVID-19. The comment about the rates for cardiac events in hospitalized people matches that seen for influenza is relevant too. It might well be that COVID is not really that much worse than the flu just looking at the short term (6 week) impacts, though one big difference is that you generally don't get the flu multiple times per year.

edit: related as a reminder COVID pneumonia patients seem to develop new-onset dementia at roughly the same rate as people with influenza pneumonia:

While I did find that study recently about influenza infecting heart cells directly (which was not necessarily the expected case before, it was thought to just be inflammation from infection elsewhere), the one trick it doesn't have that Covid does is the syncytia powers afaik. When analyzing Covid in cardiomyocytes, it didn't cause them to clump like some squishier tissue such as lung tissue, but it did cause abnormal junctions between cells that could affect electroconductivity. I don't know enough to know whether the body is particularly good at cleaning up that situation of cells stuck together that shouldn't be by spike protein, but it sounds like an explanation for a lot of those new onset arrhythmias after Covid that we hear about.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abm5371

https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12985-022-01833-y posted:

Direct infection can trigger electrical dysfunction of CMs
Patients with COVID-19 are more prone to suffering heart damage or irregular heartbeats, indicating the presence of CMs dysfunction induced by SARS-CoV-2 [35]. In addition to mechanical dysfunction, SARS-CoV-2 infected CMs also have impaired electrical functions. Marchiano et al. discovered that SARS-CoV-2 infection resulted in the abnormal generation and propagation of electrical signals in hPSC-CMs, hiPSC-CMs, and human embryonic stem cell-derived CMs (hESC-CMs), which show reduced beating rate, lower depolarization spike amplitude, and decreased electrical conduction velocity. They also observed a time-dependent increase in the field potential duration (FPD) in H7 hESC-CMs in both spontaneously beating and electrically-paced cultures [18]. Anomalous electrical signals manifest even in the absence of extensive cell death, suggesting that there may be some virus-derived components or subsequently generated substrates that disrupt cellular homeostasis, thus causing electrical dysfunction at the cellular and even at the tissue-organ level. Interestingly, a recent study proposed that SARS-CoV-2 infection-induced CM structural alterations lead to electrophysiological abnormalities. Some researchers have identified syncytia formation in SARS-CoV-2 infected cells and tissue, which is relatively rare but not absent compared to other cytopathies [36, 37]. Coronaviruses commonly induce cell–cell fusion because of the fusogenic property of the S protein and its capability to trigger virus-cell membrane fusion [38]. Schneider et al. identified intracellular junctions between CMs formed by highly-concentrated sarcolemmal t-tubule viral S protein in myocardial specimens from a young woman who died of sudden cardiac death and was found to be COVID-19-positive during the postmortem. The S protein likely tends to promote the formation of junctions between adjacent CMs instead of syncytia due to cytoskeletal constraints and viral infectivity [37, 38]. These cell-to-cell conduits are prone to short-circuit electrically excitable myocardium, and give rise to electrophysiological abnormalities. Moreover, marked pathological Ca2+ flux, sparks, and tsunami-like waves have been observed in hiPSC-CMs built multinucleated cardiomyotubes, which present significantly prolonged action potential duration, elevated membrane capacitance, delayed afterdepolarizations, and erratic beating frequencies frequency compared to mock controls. Altogether, these studies provide a novel perspective on the pathogenic mechanism of COVID-19-related arrhythmias and reiterate the detrimental effects of direct SARS-CoV-2 infection in CMs.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
one time we had an ethics training where the person in the video was using her insurance to help pay for her dying father's care and I said "the problem here is that the company seems okay with letting my parents die"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.wral.com/5-reasons-for-the-continuing-worker-shortage/20707028/

quote:

The ‘why’ behind that short staffing has been a bit of a mystery.

"It’s kind of a head scratcher," Stephenson told us.

quote:

So, what is driving all this?

"I don’t think it’s a straightforward answer," said Patrick Flynn, assistant professor of human resources at North Carolina State University.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lol "it doesn't look like anything to me"

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

"We have workers who still get sick. We have workers who have family matters that come up, you know an infant sick or a family member sick who had to leave."

He says giving employees that time away is a must, but it gets tricky when you’re understaffed. The ‘why’ behind that short staffing has been a bit of a mystery.

:thunk:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

:iiam:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Pingui posted:

Buddy, this is the booster bandit thread. Lying to save your health is not only not terrible, it is the only ethical choice.

alarumklok posted:

please lie. we're begging you. lie so much

Tulip posted:

You need a reason not to lie more than you need a reason to lie.

Thank you so much goons, I will definitely take your advice and lie through my teeth. I will make a booster appointment in April as that will be the 3 month recovery point. 3 months seems like a long time though :sigh:

I assume the 6 months wait time cited in the article is arbitrary, or based on the available amount of doses moreso than any scientific reasoning.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Everyone in the Reddit thread about it is blaming wages. I guess if wages were higher, everyone would stop getting sick.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Everyone in the Reddit thread about it is blaming wages. I guess if wages were higher, everyone would stop getting sick.

Reddit is custom-built for astroturfing and pretty much every outlet on that site that discusses covid-19 is eventually overtaken by covid-19 denialism.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Reddit is custom-built for astroturfing and pretty much every outlet on that site that discusses covid-19 is eventually overtaken by covid-19 denialism.
Someone pointed out that a lot of people have died of covid. Counterpoint was: yeah but they were mostly olds and weren’t working anyway. Checkmate, masker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Chewbecca posted:

Thank you so much goons, I will definitely take your advice and lie through my teeth. I will make a booster appointment in April as that will be the 3 month recovery point. 3 months seems like a long time though :sigh:

I assume the 6 months wait time cited in the article is arbitrary, or based on the available amount of doses moreso than any scientific reasoning.

More likely a pseudoscientific belief that an infection gives you robust immunity for 6 months.