Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it is funny that he's been a cop like 2-3 times longer than a rapper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Ice T and his character’s gay son are the best characters on SVU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's jk simmons tho

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i say swears online posted:

it is funny that he's been a cop like 2-3 times longer than a rapper

he has also been a metal singer significantly longer than he was a rapper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlk7o5T56iw

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ice T and his character’s gay son are the best characters on SVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYY9_k8zl74

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sports?! On MY Chapo?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Sports?! On MY Chapo?

It's more likely than you think

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bomani rules. His time down in Miami with LeBatard was some of the best sports discussion around.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kind of surprised Felix wasn’t on the interview considering this week’s Game Theory was focused on Jake Paul’s combat sports career and related scamming. But it was a fun intersection of my interests nonetheless.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
What was the episode they went off for ages about Florida politician John Kuczwanski being shot after ramming another guy and getting in a shoot out with them.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hearing Bomani talk about how hosed health insurance can be for new players is giving me a whole new reason to despise NFL and football. Good episode so far (I'm only about 30 minutes into it).

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Hearing Bomani talk about how hosed health insurance can be for new players is giving me a whole new reason to despise NFL and football. Good episode so far (I'm only about 30 minutes into it).

Its basically rich Romans owning and competing their gladiators against each other. Same zero repercussions, too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've joked that horse racing is called "the sport of kings" because the "winner" didn't lift a finger to do any of the work involved in winning at all. Nice to see the NFL is the same way.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I've joked that horse racing is called "the sport of kings" because the "winner" didn't lift a finger to do any of the work involved in winning at all. Nice to see the NFL is the same way.

All four major sports give the trophy to the owner first I believe. Or “governor” in NBA terms as of a few years ago.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

All four major sports give the trophy to the owner first I believe. Or “governor” in NBA terms as of a few years ago.

The worst part of all the championship ceremonies is the first thing they do is bring out some decrepit old white dude who, more often than not, made all his money as a slumlord or something, and give that motherfucker the trophy like he did a drat thing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

not hockey

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I think if the players got to hold the trophy we'd be at least half way there

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Piss Creep posted:

What was the episode they went off for ages about Florida politician John Kuczwanski being shot after ramming another guy and getting in a shoot out with them.

Empty post but I think this ep has a song im looking for

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Piss Creep posted:

It was 593

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

The worst part of all the championship ceremonies is the first thing they do is bring out some decrepit old white dude who, more often than not, made all his money as a slumlord or something, and give that motherfucker the trophy like he did a drat thing.

Just for fun, here’s where all the NFL owners got their money:

Patriots: Packaging company bought from his father in law
Bills: fracking
Jets: Johnson and Johnson heir
Dolphins: real estate
Giants: grandpappy founded the team for $500 in 1925
Eagles: film production
Cowboys: oil
Commanders: marketing
Steelers: Art Rooney founded the team for $2500 in 1933
Browns: truck stops and inherited oil money
Bengals: dad founded the Browns and Bengals
Ravens: Founded a staffing company
Lions: Ford
Bears: George Halas literally founded the NFL
Vikings: real estate
Packers: weird pseudo-public ownership model
Jaguars: car components
Titans: oil
Texans: sold an energy company to Enron (lol)
Colts: Dad sold a heating business and used it to buy the team
Panthers: Hedge fund manager
Falcons: Home Depot
Buccaneers: Holding company
Saints: Car dealership investments
Broncos: Walmart
Chiefs: oil
Raiders: Al Davis actually had a weird roundabout ascension from coach to owner. Famously his son is the poorest NFL owner
Chargers: Apartments
Rams: also Walmart, but married into it
Cardinals: Inherited from grandfather who was a mob lawyer tied to Al Capone
Seahawks: Paul Allen’s family
49ers: Construction

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hunter S. Thompson's last book includes an essay about how football sucks now because the teams are purely status symbols for owners who don't even much care if the team wins or loses. They're buying a skybox that comes with a football team.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

The Chiefs' ownership story is so dumb. The Hunts got their money from oil fields won in a loving poker game.

The episode was great. I wish the whole thing had been about labor and sports, but I'll take it.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am9BqZ6eA5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUYIFhXWmA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good ep. Love it when they get experts on and talk about their interesting areas of expertise as long as it's not some loving crank talking about how the Mafia killed JFK or whatever.

Just for fun, here’s where all the NFL owners got their money:

Patriots: Packaging company bought from his father in law
Bills: fracking
Jets: Johnson and Johnson heir
Dolphins: real estate
Giants: grandpappy founded the team for $500 in 1925
Eagles: film production
Cowboys: oil
Commanders: marketing
Steelers: Art Rooney founded the team for $2500 in 1933
Browns: truck stops and inherited oil money
Bengals: dad founded the Browns and Bengals
Ravens: Founded a staffing company
Lions: Ford
Bears: George Halas literally founded the NFL
Vikings: real estate
Packers: weird pseudo-public ownership model
Jaguars: car components
Titans: oil
Texans: sold an energy company to Enron (lol)
Colts: Dad sold a heating business and used it to buy the team
Panthers: Hedge fund manager
Falcons: Home Depot
Buccaneers: Holding company
Saints: Car dealership investments
Broncos: Walmart
Chiefs: oil
Raiders: Al Davis actually had a weird roundabout ascension from coach to owner. Famously his son is the poorest NFL owner
Chargers: Apartments
Rams: also Walmart, but married into it
Cardinals: Inherited from grandfather who was a mob lawyer tied to Al Capone
Seahawks: Paul Allen’s family
49ers: Construction

The Packers are the people's team and thus the only moral choice to root for, but also gently caress the Packers.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Respect to the Packers*

*not the actual team, but the fans who own it**

**Assuming it is still fans who own the shares, I wouldn't be surprised if most have sold to investment bankers or w/e

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I thought the shares didn't actually confer ownership or voting rights

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Halloween Jack posted:

Hunter S. Thompson's last book includes an essay about how football sucks now because the teams are purely status symbols for owners who don't even much care if the team wins or loses. They're buying a skybox that comes with a football team.

Love the good doctor but he was very mistaken if he thought having an owner be a genuine fan helps

My home city's NHL team is owned by the local failson of a slumlord and he's super involved in the team and it's a gong show of bad decisions

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

net work error posted:

Bomani rules. His time down in Miami with LeBatard was some of the best sports discussion around.

Bomani Jones is far and away the best media personality in all of sports.

His podcast, The Right Time, has been brilliant for years, and only slightly less so if you're not interested in sports.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Americans riot when their sports team wins.

France riots when their neoliberal politicians try to attack their unions or benefits. France clearly wins that one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blood Boils posted:

Love the good doctor but he was very mistaken if he thought having an owner be a genuine fan helps

My home city's NHL team is owned by the local failson of a slumlord and he's super involved in the team and it's a gong show of bad decisions

Yeah, thinking of the sports owners I know to be super involved in their teams: Jerry Jones, James Dolan, Dan Snyder ... does not seem to be super helpful to have some dude whose only contribution is being rich throwing his weight around

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

i say swears online posted:

I thought the shares didn't actually confer ownership or voting rights

I think there's a board of trustees and then everyone else just gets a piece of paper and maybe gets notified of what happened at league meetings.

Re: owners who are also fans, the Mavericks were truly abysmal before Mark Cuban bought them and have been consistently solid since then with one title and another finals appearance to speak of. But like anything in sports there's an element of luck to it. Nobody thought Dirk Nowitzki was going to be that good, and Luka Doncic fell into their laps because the Suns wanted a local guy and the Kings are arguably the worst-run organization in American sports. Not to mention the scrutiny their office culture has come under for gross sex stuff.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 7, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Felix did in fact use DLC correctly this episode

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Piss Creep posted:

Its basically rich Romans owning and competing their gladiators against each other. Same zero repercussions, too.

I think it was Jon Bois who talked about how repellent the NFL draft is in how it talks about the players. It was something like, the MLB draft is still wrapped in that air of patriotism, the NBA draft has a genuine aspect of turning talented young men into world class athletes, but the NFL draft is the closest thing you get to the an old fashioned public slave auction.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I think it was Jon Bois who talked about how repellent the NFL draft is in how it talks about the players. It was something like, the MLB draft is still wrapped in that air of patriotism, the NBA draft has a genuine aspect of turning talented young men into world class athletes, but the NFL draft is the closest thing you get to the an old fashioned public slave auction.

Less the draft than the scouting combine where people salivate over their bodies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, thinking of the sports owners I know to be super involved in their teams: Jerry Jones, James Dolan, Dan Snyder ... does not seem to be super helpful to have some dude whose only contribution is being rich throwing his weight around

I don't think it was just about needing owners to be fans, since as many have pointed out, fans in charge are just money marks who drive poo poo into the ground. It's a combination of that and not really needing to be accountable to anyone else, at least not as long as the franchise turns a profit whether the team wins, loses, and/or hate their lives.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Piss Creep posted:

It was ep 593, Liberal Drill Team. absolute banger

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
At the 1924 Olympics, the French spectators rioted because the American rugby team, a team composed of Stanford football players, won the gold medal against France in the final. The French fans also threw bottles and garbage at the American players and it was so bad that rugby has not been included at the Olympics ever since. There was also only 3 teams but it was a situation where the Americans would have likely been lynched if the police didn't move in and get the team out of there.

Sports rioting is a lot different in France and most of Europe because they have ultra groups for soccer/football, which are essentially gangs, and it's mostly about settling scores between groups and political factions. Just far left and far right, often nationalist, street gangs sometimes literally murdering each other with a sports game as a pretext. It's one of the big reasons most western European countries have turned stadiums into panopticon police zones and done everything they can to stop ultra groups from bringing in flares or fighting over banners. You don't get that in the US so it's usually just the drunken mayhem of Eagles fans for examples and not a return to the chariot races of Constantinople.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ah, rugby. The only good football.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rugby (Sevens) actually is back in the Olympics. It was pretty fun last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ah, Sevens. Because regular style rugby isn't painful enough.