Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I just found out a couple days ago that the PS Vita can now be jailbroken easily. I dragged it out of the box it’s been sitting in for eight years, so of course it hits me with the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vita means a lifetime of forgetting what year it is

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How do people deal with multi disk games with the steam rom manager? Just delete the extra disks or?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Squiggle posted:

There has to be a german word for "joy at watching someone buy a Steam Deck and realize its even cooler than they hoped."

EntDeckung / EntDecken - Deckscovery or to Deckscover.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jordan7hm posted:

How do people deal with multi disk games with the steam rom manager? Just delete the extra disks or?

You can make a m3u playlist file and point the emulator at it and it'll treat it like all the game's discs in sequence. The Retro Achievements site has a guide.
https://docs.retroachievements.org/Multi-Disc-Games-Tutorial/

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Vic posted:

Jemanddenkungsteamdeckvielbesseralservartungbeochatenfreude

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Steam Deck: Jemanddenkungsteamdeckvielbesseralservartungbeochatenfreude

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

True, I had a Gamecube, and my Wii has been modded for years. Hmmmm, I might spring for F-Zero GX.
I think they're implying you should install Dolphin, which should work with multiple controllers fine.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Vic posted:

Jemanddenkungsteamdeckvielbesseralserwartungbeochatenfreude

:golfclap: hey, that actually checks out - had to swap a v for a w to get the full google translation to work which I figure comes down to dialect, but drat

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Big Jesus posted:

I just found out a couple days ago that the PS Vita can now be jailbroken easily. I dragged it out of the box it’s been sitting in for eight years, so of course it hits me with the

I've got a 500GB microSD card in mine with way too many Sony games. I'm tempted to do a USB C mod on mine.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think they're implying you should install Dolphin, which should work with multiple controllers fine.

F-Zero GX is playable but not perfect under Dolphin, and the Deck struggles a bit. There are some noticeable slowdowns here and there, the most obvious being on the sandworm stages.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Squiggle posted:

:golfclap: hey, that actually checks out - had to swap a v for a w to get the full google translation to work which I figure comes down to dialect, but drat

I misspelled "beobachten" but that's because writing that whole thin gave me dyslexia.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FishMcCool posted:

F-Zero GX is playable but not perfect under Dolphin, and the Deck struggles a bit. There are some noticeable slowdowns here and there, the most obvious being on the sandworm stages.
Is that with SMT off and Synchronize GPU Thread disabled? Did you drop the emulated CPU speed?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah a lot of games in Dolphin don't work well out the box but if you use Powertools to disable CPU cores they suddenly work perfectly. F-Zero GX is one of those.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

The Force Engine has just updated with native Linux support for all the Deck-havers.

If anyone builds this, hit me up!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ok, but for the purposes of Timesplitters (which is all I currently care about), Xemu works perfectly well, and the Xbox versions of those games were probably, on a technical level, the best ones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

the Xbox versions of those games were probably, on a technical level, the best ones.

They were indeed

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is that with SMT off and Synchronize GPU Thread disabled? Did you drop the emulated CPU speed?

njsykora posted:

Yeah a lot of games in Dolphin don't work well out the box but if you use Powertools to disable CPU cores they suddenly work perfectly. F-Zero GX is one of those.

Guess I have some tinkering to do. Running GX perfectly would be sweet, particularly since there's a HD textures pack for it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

EntDeckung / EntDecken - Deckscovery or to Deckscover.

lol & drat. this is too cute. could be part of an expensive and annoying ad camp aign

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I have got to share some praise for Adaca. Runs great on Deck, a very inspired HL2-like game. Even has a campaign as well as a Stalker/Tarkov open world mode that is separate from the 3 hour-ish campaign

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just played through some of the arcade challenges in Timesplitters Future Perfect, and yeah. The deck is the best console hands down.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Has anyone tried running Freespace open on the deck? Its always been on my to-play list and I'm wondering how well that would work with the deck's control setup.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone had a “steam deck is out of battery, shutting down” nowhere near a low battery? Mine just did it and my battery is sitting at… 84%.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Anyone had a “steam deck is out of battery, shutting down” nowhere near a low battery? Mine just did it and my battery is sitting at… 84%.

Voltage dropped somehow, or it thinks it did. Fault in the circuit? Bad battery? Bad sensor? One time software error? Only time and effort can tell!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Steam Deck’s battery management setup is really, really bad and does all sorts of weird stuff.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Corb3t posted:

I've got a 500GB microSD card in mine with way too many Sony games. I'm tempted to do a USB C mod on mine.

Oh man. Didn’t know this was a thing. Oooooooh man. I hope I didn’t lose my soldering iron in my moves. I did some googling and at a glance it looks like people connect the data wires too. Any reason for this? If you’re jailbreaking you end up doing everything through filezilla anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Steam Deck’s battery management setup is really, really bad and does all sorts of weird stuff.

Mine hasn’t given me a low battery warning for many updates now

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

njsykora posted:

You can make a m3u playlist file and point the emulator at it and it'll treat it like all the game's discs in sequence. The Retro Achievements site has a guide.
https://docs.retroachievements.org/Multi-Disc-Games-Tutorial/

Been a while since doing this, but I remember having an issue with the scanner adding 3 entries of the game (the 2 discs and the playlist file)

The scanner wasn't smart enough to know if there was an .m3u file then ignore the .bin and .cue files for the same game entry.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Putting the files the m3u is linking to in a directory that doesn't get scanned should fix that.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

CRAYON posted:

Putting the files the m3u is linking to in a directory that doesn't get scanned should fix that.

was going to post this. I had the exact same problem and putting the files in another directory with the .m3u file pointing to it worked perfectly.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's wild that the trailer for Tetris Effect is like actually really loving good and perfectly sells the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8fVT_Ds4Q

It really is an experience in VR.

This poo poo is legit therapy

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've been installing poo poo I've never got to and one horror title, Marth is Dead, gave me a pop up stating "Users have been unable to get this running well on the Steam Deck" or something along those lines. Never seen that before, but I'm curious as to how bad it actually runs if it got to the point where they need to give people a heads up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TraderStav posted:

This poo poo is legit therapy

Tetris Effect was one of the few things that legit made me consider buying an expensive VR thing. I ended up not to, but for a moment I nearly did. Must be amazing to play it with all the effects, completely immersed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Tetris Effect was one of the few things that legit made me consider buying an expensive VR thing. I ended up not to, but for a moment I nearly did. Must be amazing to play it with all the effects, completely immersed.

I have it on the Oculus and it's an incredible experience, with and without weed. I'm not kidding when I say it's therapy, it produces such a meditative and focused state that I feel better after playing it. Even better if you have headphones. I'm realizing that it's been far too long since I've played it and may dive into it later tonight if I remember to.

I'm not saying it's worth the price of a VR, but if it's not, it's close.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hopefully this doesn't gently caress up taking external batteries on planes...

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/united-flight-returns-to-san-diego-airport-due-to-laptop-fire-onboard

quote:

Airport officials said Flight 2664, which had taken off around 7:15 a.m. and was heading to Newark, rerouted back to the airport when a laptop external battery pack caught fire.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Isn't that why they tell you to put batteries in your carry on? So in the event they do catch fire it'll be noticed and dealt with unlike if it was stuck in cargo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TraderStav posted:

I have it on the Oculus and it's an incredible experience, with and without weed. I'm not kidding when I say it's therapy, it produces such a meditative and focused state that I feel better after playing it. Even better if you have headphones. I'm realizing that it's been far too long since I've played it and may dive into it later tonight if I remember to.

Here’s a cool video from the launch where they get a classic Tetris pro to play effect

https://youtu.be/7T7mg6JZZzg

It’s fun seeing get used to modern Tetris then in VR he starts doing even better.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

TraderStav posted:

I first got it for PSVR many years ago and it was hands down my go-to Vr game. I rebought it on Oculus 2 because it really is a transformative experience. I get like, depressed, when I take off the headset.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Should have a Deck waiting for me when I get home

or a duck as it would be said in these parts

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Gnome de plume posted:

Mine should be here tomorrow, very much pumped for it. Wasn't even something on my radar for something I wanted two weeks ago and now am obsessed with all of the possibilities for it. I think it's going to change a lot for me, providing a 'third place' to play PC games which have always been limiting for me on my desktop or on my couch with a long HDMI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gnome de plume posted:

Please we barely survived the dreck era