Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Playing green goblin in bar sinister is never not funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I assume it’s because maw doesn’t move his effect until your turn actually starts. This makes sense to me, and seems pretty consistent with other behaviour.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jordan7hm posted:

I assume it’s because maw doesn’t move his effect until your turn actually starts. This makes sense to me, and seems pretty consistent with other behaviour.

Ahh but then if THIS is the case then shouldn't cards with move actually NOT free up their slot until AFTER the move resolves, i.e.: the NEXT playable turn? Since what's actually happening, under this read, is that moves don't process until the turn actually starts, meaning the slot they occupy is actually blocked? And, again, if the game cares about sequencing mattering I don't think this should happen, this feels like a very ridged "everything happens at once" read which isn't the case for playing cards at all, with order of play in a given turn usually mattering a lot.

I guess it just do be like that - move and play actually fire off at the exact same time, rather than being sequenced, and that's what I ran into... Oh well, still think it's bad but what do I know.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

welp, cashed in credits from the new season rank and completed pool 3 (Luke cage was the last man in the door). Also got my first ink split (white queen base card, of all things) and my #1 variant wishlist out of a cache (sera 1602, so badass). what do people who are p3 complete…do? Stockpile credits till you max out and spend it all to get your next pool 4 card? I have galactus pinned…

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So what good is MODOK?
Outside of some basics like Wolverine or Apocalypse or jacking Morbius up, or hoping like hell you draw Hela on turn 6, I can't figure out what makes him useful.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

buffalo all day posted:

welp, cashed in credits from the new season rank and completed pool 3 (Luke cage was the last man in the door). Also got my first ink split (white queen base card, of all things) and my #1 variant wishlist out of a cache (sera 1602, so badass). what do people who are p3 complete…do? Stockpile credits till you max out and spend it all to get your next pool 4 card? I have galactus pinned…

Keep opening boxes to get tokens. Every 40 boxes has one S4 card and at least enough tokens to buy an S5 card.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

the_steve posted:

So what good is MODOK?
Outside of some basics like Wolverine or Apocalypse or jacking Morbius up, or hoping like hell you draw Hela on turn 6, I can't figure out what makes him useful.

Turn 2 Morbius
Turn 3 Zabu
Turn 4 Wong (and Shuri)
Turn 5 Modok
Turn 6 Apocalypse and ALL THE BEES (at least 4 copies of Swarm)

Not the most consistent combo, but amazing to watch.
Edit: As long as Zabu isn't nerfed you can also drop Dracula on turn 4 instead of Shuri, and then play the Swarms and America Chavez on turn 6. That's 9/12 cards for a deck already.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 7, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I had two Morbius and Collectors down, then also played Modok on the location that copies a card to another location with Swarm in hand. I got the fast-forward animation twice on that one. Opponent retreated.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

what do people who are p3 complete…do? Stockpile credits till you max out and spend it all to get your next pool 4 card? I have galactus pinned…

Horde Collector's Tokens. One of the nice things about being S3 complete is that in addition to the pittance of 100 token reserve boxes, all of the S3 card slots now get replaced by batches of 200-600 tokens (SD says it averages out to 400 over time.)

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

drat, this game keeps stealing gold from me.

edit: if I can get to Infinite within a few days again I will make a writeup for my deck. Before the reset I had fun not caring about cubes and I made a deck that boosted up Captain Marvel and/or Vision to just choose which lanes I won and it was pretty fun. I think there's something there to build on. Separately, I tried Agatha for a while and she is an absolute idiot.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 7, 2023

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Tried to do dumb things with MODOK, it paid off on the first try:

Invisible woman on 2
MODOK On 5, Hela on 6, both in that lane

Try for 10 more games after that, it never works again. MODOK is great.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

buffalo all day posted:

You get a lot more tokens when you finish pool 3. Every box that would've been a pool 3 card is now anywhere from 200 to 600 tokens (averaged out to 400 over time) which helps you get shop cards a lot faster.

Also, I will NEVER high roll like this again in my life. I can't believe I got snapped back too.

They snapped after pulling my She-Hulk that I got from the Hub. I snapped after Elysium let me play Negative in Death's Domain (left lane before Limbo). Between Sera and Elysium and Negative, I was able to play Angela -> Iron Man -> Mystique -> She-Hulk -> Rogue -> Psylocke all on Turn 7. Hell, I only played Rogue because I thought they were a Double Dino and I was gonna steal that poo poo (even if It would've been useless with an empty hand lol).

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The best Avatar is Giganto. He looks so derpy. It may be annoying but I like to emote "Aaaarrrgggh" after every round. I don't quite spam it, but just everything is "Aaaarrrgggh" and I think it hides if I am losing or not.

edit:

Bottom Liner posted:

The Modok avatar is pretty good for how dumb and derpy it is

I can't wait, then.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 7, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Modok avatar is pretty good for how dumb and derpy it is

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
saw some pics of someone's autoclicker setup to concede on 4 with agatha all season long in infinite. Then climb to infinite in a day with giga depressed mmr when a new season launches. rank is a joke.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thoughts on playing on unrevealed locations?

With what I'm piloting I always try to leave the left lane open so I have a bias, but how often do you all play on an unrevealed location? It can sometimes be great ("can't play cards here" or "destroy a card when it's played here") or terrible ("copy a card you play here to another location").

edit: ahh, gently caress. I just played on unrevealed location 3 and it was x2 on reveal effects (which my deck relies on)
edit2: whatever, I got to Shuri a Giganto to 56 and then Zola him into the two other lanes so it worked out anyways

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 7, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I always do now. The number of locations where you're rewarded for it is way higher than the ones where you're punished for it. I get that bar with no name and space throne are really bad but I dont really care.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I think almost all of my lists have Magik, Rhino, Moon Girl (Luke's Bar), or Storm in them at this point so I can manage most of the ones you can actually play in. Probably worth putting Iron Fist in a lot of lists just for utility, but I've never bothered. I do like playing into Bar with No Name ahead of changing it to see if my opponent will also, and just don't change it if they pull ahead of me.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
They should add another system like collector tokens to the game, but exclusively for buying variants. Add bunch of these new tokens to the paid season pass and people will give you more money and the game balance won't suffer.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

BoldFace posted:

They should add another system like collector tokens to the game, but exclusively for buying variants. Add bunch of these new tokens to the paid season pass and people will give you more money and the game balance won't suffer.

Personally, I think three currencies are more than enough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MODOK looks not worth buying unless I am missing some super cool OP combo

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
He's not a card to buy to win. He is fun though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MODOK is the kind of card this game is supposed to be about. Imagine we skipped the last two trash seasons and went straight to this. Better timeline.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I mean the season pass is probably the best value for money thing they do, so if you spend at all that should probably be your number 1 purchase, but no, modok will probably never be meta. He is fun, but not meta-defining like the last 2 were.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
MODOK reminds my why I absolutely hate discard archetypes - when you win, YOU WIN; but if you don’t draw into the correct cards you’re just useless. No middle ground, no consistency.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

He's not, but the season pass is still worth it. Even discounting the variants and other cosmetics, the paid track yields around 1k gold and a few hundred credits. It's about a $15-20 value compared to buying through the store, assuming you reach level 50 by the end of the season.

Also, the minor value of taking MODOK out of your Series 5 card pool when he rolls over next month. Like, you're already 1 in 400 to open an S5 from a Reserve. Imagine if you beat those odds only to open loving MODOK?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 7, 2023

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

He's not, but the season pass is still worth it. Even discounting the variants and other cosmetics, the paid track yields around 1k gold and a few hundred credits. It's about a $15-20 value compared to buying through the store, assuming you reach level 50 by the end of the seasons.

Also, the minor value of taking MODOK out of your Series 5 card pool when he rolls over next month. Like gently caress, you're already 1 in 400 to open an S5 from a reserve. Imagine if you beat those odds only to open a loving MODOK?

Yeah I bought the last 2 and hit 50 but I just started playing the game during the silver surfer season. I couldn’t even make use of surfer for a long time (I still don’t have Brood but I try to use him anyway) but Zabu was immediately the best card I think I got as soon as I got him (around 1000 CL now). Zabu honestly is good enough I even slot him into other decks I have for quest completion like the spectrum ongoing deck

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

With any luck, they will never do another season pass card as strong as Zabu.

I appreciate the value as a new player of suddenly having a single card that skyrockets the overall power level of your collection, but he's just too busted. They'd do better to improve the newer player experience in other ways.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

god i want helicarrier so bad. Let me MODOK on 6 and still end up with a 13 power dino.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Let’s all boycott this game and petition DC comics to create a kickstarter to make a similar game so that we can all get in together on the ground floor of that one… that will make sure this Zabu/Surfer debacle never happens again.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Born in Bexhill posted:

make sure this Zabu/Surfer debacle never happens again.

I might dump on Brode for being a bit unhinged, but really this kind of thing is always at risk of happening in every card game. MTG is thirty years old and still making these mistakes,

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I might dump on Brode for being a bit unhinged, but really this kind of thing is always at risk of happening in every card game. MTG is thirty years old and still making these mistakes,

dies to removal

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I've had Darkhawk pinned for almost a month, and decided to sped the tokens to sneak in some glorious broken gameplay before the Zabu/Surfer nerfs get implemented and, uh, holy poo poo. The only reason people aren't screaming about that card is because its still series 5, so no one has it especially since it's kind of boring looking compared to Galactus or Thanos as an object of desire.

Zabu is obviously the biggest offender, but Darkhawk is absurd

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I ran a standard Apocalypse discard deck with MODOK slotted in and I can confirm that he is fun when he works.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

I've had Darkhawk pinned for almost a month, and decided to sped the tokens to sneak in some glorious broken gameplay before the Zabu/Surfer nerfs get implemented and, uh, holy poo poo. The only reason people aren't screaming about that card is because its still series 5, so no one has it especially since it's kind of boring looking compared to Galactus or Thanos as an object of desire.

I have screamed about it, a lot. The snap defense force just tells me I need to snap and retreat and I'm just a salty loser making excuses. This is the stupidest player base I have ever seen.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

doingitwrong posted:

I don't "get" cards until I am able to play with them. Are you pumping up their deck or just going au naturale with Darkhawk?

edit: I hit 80 already. I'm going to try to hit 100 by the end of the day.

No Wave posted:

This is the stupidest player base I have ever seen.

I might have mentioned it here, but I saw a post from a Reddit user who (claimed they) hit infinite multiple times but whenever they try to give advice they get hated/down-voted. On the Snap discord someone asked for a tier 1 deck and I posted mine and they hated on it for no reason.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 7, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

I recently also got Darkhawk, and while I agree he's good, I don't find him all that broken. Without Zabu, he's consistently a 4-cost, and if you're not building to support him (Korg, Rockslide, Widow) he is usually only at 7-9 power in the end game. Yeah, if you do build around him, he can get up into the 13-15 power range, but that isn't too different from cards like Red Skull, or She-Hulk, and Darkhawk is weak to a much wider range of tech cards.

Again, powerful, but not on part with the likes of Zabu, Shuri, or Galactus.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Darkhawk as a random card is a dud. Darkhawk with Rockslide/Wong/Absorbing Man etc. is just game breaking. I get the comment that it's nice to have a card like Zabu to give new players a boost, but he gives a much bigger boost to those kitted out with Pool 4 and 5 cards.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I don't have Darkhawk, but it seems like it's a card that is very good mainly due to Zabu. After the nerf it will just be a good card. Could be wrong though.

^^What they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Today I got to learn who would win in a fight, a 28+ powered Apocalypse or a smol Valkie girl in a cerebro 3 config. Just doing the Jack Nicholson crazed "yes" nod as I watch my opponent run through pretty much all the discard cards in the game (including MODOK) powering him up knowing what's coming.