Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

facialimpediment posted:

oh no, AI did a transphobe again

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1622669190497964032

#1 thing driving all of my thinking with all of this poo poo is that venture capital bros just took every mention of "crypto", replaced with with "AI", and we're back in the same dumb cycle again. We're even back to the Microsoft AI chatbot Tay proving it had the reich stuff at the slightest prompting.

I came across the actual clip that copped the ban and I don't get how it actually was transphobic? The chatbot was literally saying it was thinking of doing a bit about being a right wing bigot about trans people but then no one would be laughing and everybody leaves the club. Like it was basically going "transphobia is bad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ASAPI posted:

I think it was something to the effect of, "if you travel too fast, you might accidentally turn into a space lizard and go to bone town with your CO

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eej posted:

I came across the actual clip that copped the ban and I don't get how it actually was transphobic? The chatbot was literally saying it was thinking of doing a bit about being a right wing bigot about trans people but then no one would be laughing and everybody leaves the club. Like it was basically going "transphobia is bad".

Twitch and Youtube are both notorious for "Ban first, ask questions later, and never admit you made a bad decision when you banned someone". If you took the quoted skit without even context from within the skit, it was a worthy ban, but if you look at the whole skit, its weird meta-humor about how bigots aren't funny. Twitch and Youtube moderators don't care about context.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doesn’t YouTube still host a ton of alt right talking heads?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Doesn’t YouTube still host a ton of alt right talking heads?

I think you mean INTELLECTUALS JUST ASKING QUESTIONS.

But yeah, there are tons of them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/07/politics/george-santos-treasurer/index.html

Oh weird, George Santos' FEC filing had hundreds of payments for exactly $199.99.

In a totally unrelated matter did you know the threshold for being required to keep documentation of where campaign expenses are going is $200?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Structuring”?

Never heard of her!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Everything about this man’s history is like those stories where a school shooter told authorities exactly what he was going to do 20 times before he actually did it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doesn't matter, the pubbies won't do anything because he's one of them and the other side won't do anything because if they do the pubbies will throw the book at every remaining congressperson from that faction when they sweep the senate and presidency next year.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ded posted:

a 7.8 with a 7.6 follow up would have wrecked stuff in cali too. Not the same scale but quakes at 7+ break poo poo.

A 6.9 broke a bridge and killed people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Loma_Prieta_earthquake

That was 34 years ago, though. A cursory google search reveals that the event spurred the development of further earthquake proofing, including a technology specifically designed to prevent the pancaking of bridge spans. When Ecuador was hit with a 7.8 magnitude earthquake a few years back, none of the bridges fitted with the upgrades collapsed. The same article does mention that base isolators are not part of CA building codes, though, so you're probably right that poo poo would break unless it was upgraded since.

Meanwhile, Edogan is building a multibillion dollar canal to nowhere.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 7, 2023

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cheering? Who do you think is responsible for this

I was thinking of the classic Michigan-Ohio rivalry influence, where each side just likes to watch the other suffer.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

E. Revenant posted:

No one died from Sisko's actions against the Marqui It was just an iron clad eviction notice.

Anyways I'm not going to spend a lot of time hashing out the details of an old 90's TV show I just wanted to correct a common misconception.

Sisko was a war criminal dude - they made it pretty obvious

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Do any of you have any more information on all the bomb threats called into Michigan Walmarts yesterday? I'm only curious because one of those is just a little ways away from where I work.

Not that the cops told us about it, even after evacuating the Walmart and starting to search for explosives; we found out when a customer came in and asked us what was going on.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Grip it and rip it posted:

Sisko was a war criminal dude - they made it pretty obvious

I still don't really understand what makes something a "war crime" unless it's pointless cruelty that also hinders the war effort. You're already AT WAR and losing is worse than anything that can happen on the battlefield. Are our perceptions distorted by decades of police action colonial war?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

slurm posted:

I still don't really understand what makes something a "war crime" unless it's pointless cruelty that also hinders the war effort. You're already AT WAR and losing is worse than anything that can happen on the battlefield. Are our perceptions distorted by decades of police action colonial war?

So pointless cruelty that assists your war effort would be OK to you?

Is this a bit? Are you doing a bit?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

slurm posted:

Why are you like this?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

I've just been watching a lot of Ukraine war footage lately and everyone's getting turned into wholesale hamburger! It feels like the meter is pegged on suffering!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

McNally posted:

dude has been like this literally since day 1 with that account. He's a rereg, though you'd have to ask the d&d mods who.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Garak was right about one thing: a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for war crimes.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Anyway I'll shut the gently caress up

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

slurm posted:

I've just been watching a lot of Ukraine war footage lately and everyone's getting turned into wholesale hamburger! It feels like the meter is pegged on suffering!

Brother you have a hell of a profile text. Do yourself a massive favor, and log off, just take from now until an undetermined point in the future off from Ukraine news and war poo poo. Your psyche will thank you.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Herstory Begins Now posted:

dude has been like this literally since day 1 with that account. He's a rereg, though you'd have to ask the d&d mods who.

Almost certainly Marshal Prolapse

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

slurm posted:

You need to accept the end never justifies the means.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

You need to accept the end never justifies the means.

It’s ok, the history book people and the PR crew will spin it for us anyway. The truth is what the victor says it is.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Navy PAO released some close-ups of the balloon recovery, looks like it was made out of pallet wrap and stage lighting truss

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/7620705/high-altitude-balloon-2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

my kinda ape posted:

Almost certainly Marshal Prolapse

Oh Jeez, that guy.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I was thinking of the classic Michigan-Ohio rivalry influence, where each side just likes to watch the other suffer.

I got your reference. We haven’t lived in Ohio in 22 years and my wife still refuses to acknowledge that Michigan might be something more than just a cesspool of human suffering that should be avoided at all costs.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

pygmy tyrant posted:

Not to discount all the social issues, but from my understanding different fault zones can respond pretty differently to the same magnitude of quakes and you can't directly compare them.

We'll start with assuming a fault is basically a plane shape. A plane's orientation in space can be described in terms of its strike and dip. The strike is which way the slope is oriented with reference to cardinal direction, and the dip is the angular measurement of how much that plane tilts away from a level horizontal line.

Now, the relative slip along a fault basically breaks down into three different categories. A transform (like the San Andreas Fault) is movement along strike. This is also sometimes called strike-slip fault. A normal fault is dip-slip movement where the footwall rises relative to the headwall of the fault -- Basin and Range topography across the intermountain West in the US is caused by this kind of dip-slip movement. The third is a reverse fault, also dip slip, but where the headwall rises relative to the footwall. This is the Cascades or the Peruvian Andes, or an island arc like the Philippines. Between the two dip-slip faults, consider that the configuration will result in the rock in a normal fault extending horizontally in space away from the fault and a reverse fault compressing in space towards the fault. All of that said, in the field, faults actually present as much more complex than a simple plane, usually a combination of vectors through a system of faults.

While measured magnitude of an earthquake is a global figure that is relative to how much energy was released by the earthquake and a 7.4 is a 7.4 in terms of movement and energy no matter which type of fault, reverse faults do tend to result in the most severe earthquakes. That compressional movement in a reverse fault is storing more and more energy (stress, in stress/strain terms) into the material. In addition, in a big enough fault with sufficient relative slip, the material that is subducted into the mantle as the two sides of the fault compress into each other and don't have anywhere else to go is going to basically be vibrating underneath of there such that both bodies of rock are straining under one side of the fault. There is also the significance of the relative up/down movement in a dip-slip fault over a strike-slip fault. Volcanism will be most pronounced on reverse faults as well, but any of those faults can make a volcano and also volcanism is another can of worms.

The Anatolian fault system that caused this earthquake is actually a strike-slip movement, so in theory our least earthquakey kind of fault. Unfortunately for Anatolia, the damage from an earthquake is really going to be controlled by human activity -- how much damage occurs results from what human made stuff is there to be damaged. Which I say to mean that typically how "bad" the earthquake is has quite a bit more to do with the infrastructure than what type of fault you're dealing with. Earthquakes that devastate concrete block villages on Caribbean islands or Turkish apartment buildings would do relatively minor damage in Seattle or Honshu in spite of the respective fault zones themselves being "better" or "worse" for earthquakes. Personally I stan using a Modified Mercalli Intensity (measure the actual damage rather than the earthquake itself) for communications about earthquakes, because with magnitude you need to basically synthesize the relative development of the place in human terms with the magnitude to come up with how bad the situation is -- 7ish is Loma Prieta, but 7ish was also enough to basically level the entire country of Haiti.

tl;dr: yes different faults behave differently, but don't discount the social issues. They are what really drive the destruction and suffering in an earthquake

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So I've decided slurm should post somewhere that isn't this subforum. The whole "just asking questions, what is a war crime anyway?" schtick isn't landing.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

McNally posted:

So I've decided slurm should post somewhere that isn't this subforum. The whole "just asking questions, what is a war crime anyway?" schtick isn't landing.

Youre so harsh mcnally. All he did was advocate for indescriminate warcriming becauase as long as you win it's fine

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
He'd make fast friends with McNamara

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bored As gently caress posted:

He'd make fast friends with McNamara

I think Fog of War just really showed us how reprehensible a human Donald Rumsfeld really is. They made McNamara look like a human and Rummy couldn’t handle even that in his version.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think you should let him start a thread about war crime theory, so he can lay out his beliefs and arguments, and background on how he came to to these conclusions.

Even if he doesn't enter in good faith, the rest of the forum might enjoy the discussion.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I think you should let him start a thread about war crime theory, so he can lay out his beliefs and arguments, and background on how he came to to these conclusions.

Even if he doesn't enter in good faith, the rest of the forum might enjoy the discussion.

I can't remember the last time we had a Mod Challenge here....

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m still struggling with how you fight “fair” with a country that has advocated genocide in both words and actions. At least when we nuked Japan we just said it was for military reasons since we obviously value our soldiers higher than their civilians at the time.

I’m just happy we appear to be on the right side of history for once.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think Fog of War just really showed us how reprehensible a human Donald Rumsfeld really is. They made McNamara look like a human and Rummy couldn’t handle even that in his version.

por que no los dos? they were both ghoulish, evil guys, and i'm personally glad they're burning in hell.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
slurm can post here again after a well-written PM on the matter.

I do invite them to start that war crimes thread that bulletsponge suggested, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
"war crimes aren't real," i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the doctors without borders hospital with my lovely t-62

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Crab Dad posted:

I’m still struggling with how you fight “fair” with a country that has advocated genocide in both words and actions. At least when we nuked Japan we just said it was for military reasons since we obviously value our soldiers higher than their civilians at the time.

I’m just happy we appear to be on the right side of history for once.

My answer is you hold yourself to the principles you think are human (or the ones you once had, before the war). What the other side does doesn't factor into that, how could their crimes absolve yours.
You look at yourself and make sure you aren't evil. Failure is criminal, simple as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

McNally posted:

slurm can post here again after a well-written PM on the matter.

I do invite them to start that war crimes thread that bulletsponge suggested, though.

If he's already permad on a different account just ban him again. I'm personally not really opposed to letting reregs slip back in if they can stop being obnoxious or whatever but clearly he cannot.