Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bird in a Blender posted:

So why was it a controlled explosion that has seemingly released a ton of toxic fumes to everyone’s surprise?

It was a slow controlled release rather than catastrophic explosion that would have made a much bigger mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was a slow controlled release rather than catastrophic explosion that would have made a much bigger mess.

Silly Burrito posted:

Sounds like when I have cheese dip.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I got a mailer from Shen Yun in the mail today and their new “CHINA BEFORE COMMUNISM” tag line is really a masterclass in making subtext text

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wish they'd go with the flyers they had in Hong Kong about how the family that controls the chinese government killed JFK and MLK and did 9/11 and something something focused electromagnetic remote surgery and mind control.

Anyway, here's a terrible picture of one of their flyers from the mid 2010's taken with a godawful camera, just the worst

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Freaquency posted:

I got a mailer from Shen Yun in the mail today and their new “CHINA BEFORE COMMUNISM” tag line is really a masterclass in making subtext text

They switch up the advertising depending on where you're at too. I live in west Michigan (conservative Christian area) and they have the "China before communism" line front and center on the billboard, but that line is nowhere to be found on the billboards out by Detroit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

There's already loads of PFAS-free cookware out there, and I don't think it's noticeably worse, but Teflon is used in a ton of other applications too which I think is part of why everyone's dragging their feet about banning it. I saw a john oliver about it, apparently the byproducts of manufacture are super nasty and forever-chemicals and that's what's loving up the water.

You don't have to tell me, I work in polymer chemistry/manufacturing and I have a meeting about it tomorrow lol. I have a fat stack of trade magazines on my desk and there's been a running series of articles on the subject.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Thaddius the Large posted:

Speaking of, what’s everybody doing for Super Bowl spreads? I’m going pretty easy on it this year since the day before is my daughter’s birthday party and I’ve got enough going on as is, but I’ll whip up some air fryer wings (shout out AA) and I’ve never done the classic Velveeta + Rotel + meat combo, that’s coming via the crock pot. f you’re gonna punish your digestive tract may as well go out!

I may smoke some wings, or just order a Tailgate Feast from Wing Pit.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

The Puppy Bowl posted:

My union won the strike. It only took three days and some change to get a very good contract. Far from perfect but a real foundation to build on.

:toot:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jok7jfOUUxI

...Huh.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel gave his blessings, I'm expecting it to basically be the equivalent of an SNL best of compilation special. Probably a few banger bits, and a bunch of stuff that drags its joke out over 7 minutes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kalli posted:

Mel gave his blessings

He co-wrote the entire thing.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

If they're trying to get me to watch History of the World Part 1 again, it's working.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Looks like a mix of drunk history

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Taint lump was an ingrown hair, teehee!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What do you guys know about Fairlife milk products? They achieve high protein in their milk by just filtering the water out?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Pron on VHS posted:

What do you guys know about Fairlife milk products? They achieve high protein in their milk by just filtering the water out?

It's just ultrafiltered milk. They remove the lactose and water.

quote:

To make ultra-filtered milk, the skim milk that comes out of the fat separator is passed through one or more membranes to filter out about half of the milk's water content along with about half of the lactose, or milk sugar, while letting the milk protein molecules through. What you're left with is essentially concentrated milk—all the protein, plus half the water and half the lactose.

This high-protein concentrate is then re-diluted with water, but at a higher protein concentration so that it ends up with around 13 grams of protein per cup as opposed to around 8 grams per cup for ordinary milk.2 Fat is added back to the desired levels (such as 1 or 2 percent) followed by the addition of an enzyme called lactase which breaks down the remaining lactose into its component sugars, glucose, and galactose, which are easier to digest than lactose. The addition of lactase is also how most lactose-free milk is produced.

Finally, the ultra-filtered milk undergoes the usual homogenization process, as well as the addition of vitamins, before being bottled and shipped to the stores. As advertised, the resulting product boasts half the sugars (around 6 grams instead of the usual 13) and nearly twice the protein (13 grams versus 8).2

Calorie-wise, the numbers balance out, with the added protein making up for the fewer sugars, so that a cup of ultra-filtered 2 percent milk has the same number of calories as its 2 percent counterpart.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It tastes worse but it doesn’t trigger my UC so it’s cool by me

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a sexual elk posted:

Looks like a mix of drunk history

It does, but we came to the conclusion in the trailer thread that Drunk History ripped off History of the World Part 1 and well they are both funny so sure go for it.

I love a lot of those people in that so I'm going to watch it. (okay, stream it)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

C-Euro posted:

You don't have to tell me, I work in polymer chemistry/manufacturing and I have a meeting about it tomorrow lol. I have a fat stack of trade magazines on my desk and there's been a running series of articles on the subject.

I make fluoropolymer bags for biopharma packaging but we buy the film on rolls from a different fab shop and they buy their resin from someone else so that type of waste is out of sight, out of mind. I do have to turn my brain off when I see how much material we just scrap and throw away considering it is a forever material that will set in a landfill forever while leaching bad things into the ground.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I do have to turn my brain off when I see how much material we just scrap and throw away considering it is a forever material that will set in a landfill forever while leaching bad things into the ground.

This was a big issue for me when I worked at a gift card manufacturer. Walking around the print side of the shop looking at pallets and pallets of paper and plastic and knowing that whether it was our off-cut or the actual product we were making, it was 100% bound for the trash eventually.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
At some point in the future some entity is going to be excavating and discover the plastic line much like the k-t barrier.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Blowjob Overtime posted:

This was a big issue for me when I worked at a gift card manufacturer. Walking around the print side of the shop looking at pallets and pallets of paper and plastic and knowing that whether it was our off-cut or the actual product we were making, it was 100% bound for the trash eventually.

This is also how I feel when we deploy a bunch of new equipment and all of the boxes and styrofoam holding servers, monitors, switches, etc. get tossed right into the garbage. Then I go home and try to figure out which parts of the pizza box go in the compost and which can go in the recycling. :sigh:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mr. Nice! posted:

At some point in the future some entity is going to be excavating and discover the plastic line much like the k-t barrier.

Wall-E has to have something to do.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Even the most minor and quickest of surgeries generates sooooo much trash. Surgical instruments like forceps, scalpels, etc. are all metal, making them reusable. Surgical gowns can be cleaned and sterilized. But pretty much everything else is one time use, and wrapped in plastic. Just something like cutting out a little lipoma will generate at least one 50 gallon drum of trash, and probably more. IV needles and tubing, syringes, drapes, handle covers for things like lights and cameras, gloves, masks, booties, suction devices, I could go on and on. And like 75% of it is plastic based.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

Even the most minor and quickest of surgeries generates sooooo much trash. Surgical instruments like forceps, scalpels, etc. are all metal, making them reusable. Surgical gowns can be cleaned and sterilized. But pretty much everything else is one time use, and wrapped in plastic. Just something like cutting out a little lipoma will generate at least one 50 gallon drum of trash, and probably more. IV needles and tubing, syringes, drapes, handle covers for things like lights and cameras, gloves, masks, booties, suction devices, I could go on and on. And like 75% of it is plastic based.

I was just about to mention this. The amount of trash generated from any of my lengthy hospital stays was absolutely staggering. Just the amount of stuff that gets thrown away from putting in an IV line boggles my mind.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Oof yeah. I got hit extra hard recently found out it was company policy to throw away literally tons of perfectly good product with significant shelf life left on it because it looked bad on our balance sheet to have a lot of carried inventory at the end of the calendar year. Not only did they have to throw all this stuff out but we couldn't even, like, grab some for lab use or just to have because it needed to be officially scrapped to be a tax write-off.

Just all negative, no positive, everyone I talked to agreed, but we all do it because its what The Great Number demands.

Nov 6, 2002

I understand why the medical industry uses plastic though. It makes sense, it's the only effective way to guarantee sanitation in situations where you have to have it.

It's the way the rest of society uses plastic that's stupid. We have a material that practically lasts forever so we use it in products that are single use - because it's cheap. It's so incredibly stupid.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The amount of trash I generate on an ambulance is staggering. I try to reuse a lot of the plastic bags as trash bags, or try to minimize how many things I open but there’s so much redundancy in packaging.

Honestly though I used to be a fastidious recycler and do everything I could to do my part but after having seen throughout adulthood how much corporations waste daily, I just decided to do my best and not stress about it. Every corporation or billionaire is wasting and polluting more monthly than I will in my lifetime.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LeeMajors posted:

The amount of trash I generate on an ambulance is staggering. I try to reuse a lot of the plastic bags as trash bags, or try to minimize how many things I open but there’s so much redundancy in packaging.

I found that the Patient Belongings bags from the hospital work really well for carrying loads of laundry, since they're relatively heavy-duty.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Timby posted:

I found that the Patient Belongings bags from the hospital work really well for carrying loads of laundry, since they're relatively heavy-duty.

Those are actually pretty stout.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LeeMajors posted:

Those are actually pretty stout.

They are. I have a coat hook on my bedroom door, so I hang a bag from it to use as a hamper. When I've filled up two or three of them, I know it's time to haul them down the hall to my building's washer. (12 units in my building, one washer / dryer. Ugh.)

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

swickles posted:

I'll go on for you! You can't just throw away all that waste in the same bin, because a lot of it's medical waste and has to be treated differently. More expensive per bag, as well. Because if your trash company checks the hospital's regular trash and finds medical waste, they may just hold off on a pickup or two while the hospital sorts itself out.

It never takes long for the hospital to train everyone on proper waste removal, of course.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I make fluoropolymer bags for biopharma packaging but we buy the film on rolls from a different fab shop and they buy their resin from someone else so that type of waste is out of sight, out of mind. I do have to turn my brain off when I see how much material we just scrap and throw away considering it is a forever material that will set in a landfill forever while leaching bad things into the ground.

Amen. Gotta wait for that research on plastic-consuming bacteria to develop some more (and for it to not break so so badly).

swickles posted:

My wife is working on a startup for reusable medical/surgical gowns, so if you're in market for some better ones...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Coco13 posted:

I'll go on for you! You can't just throw away all that waste in the same bin, because a lot of it's medical waste and has to be treated differently. More expensive per bag, as well. Because if your trash company checks the hospital's regular trash and finds medical waste, they may just hold off on a pickup or two while the hospital sorts itself out.

It never takes long for the hospital to train everyone on proper waste removal, of course.

Yeah, its crazy to think about, but there are three separate waste removal services from a hospital. Regular trash and recycling, medical waste that may be contaminated with bodily fluids and/or contain sharps, and then medical information disposal for things that contain protected patient info. And yes, the last two charge by the amount so you learn not to throw bubble gums wrappers or whatnot in anything but the regular trash. The reverse is also true, because throwing away a form with a patients info on it in the regular trash is an even bigger offense.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wasn't there something a while back about how copper is antibiotic and if we just made our hospitals clad in copper instead of stainless steel everywhere, there'd be a lot fewer infections and a lot less need to try to sterilize everything?

Also this reminds me of how when I was growing up (in California), due to the droughts, my mom would put a brick in the toilet cistern and put two gallon jugs of water int he bathtub so a bath would use less water and do all these things to cut our water usage by a few gallons a month. And then I read about how much of our freshwater is wasted on loving alfalfa, pistachios, and almonds. Like a gallon of water per individual almond, most of which get exported as cash crops.

Like all of that effort my mom went through was totally futile. Completely pointless. I still try to be frugal with water, I let my "lawn" die every year throughout the summer, but I don't worry about taking a longer shower or washing my car sometimes. Our society is penny-wise, pound-foolish in countless ways.

My sister used to not buy paper towels because she read that was wasteful, she'd have dish cloths and rags for everything which is OK but sometimes you need a paper towel, you know? Then at costco when a five gallon pail of soy sauce spills on the floor they just grab eight rolls of paper towel, rip off the plastic, and throw the entire rolls on the floor. Like there's six months of my sister's careful frugality straight in the bin because it's a tiny bit more convenient than finding a mop and bucket.

This is why even though as individuals we can and should be conscious of our impact, like carbon footprint, making responsible choices, all that poo poo... nothing can really get fixed without government. We live in a system of perverse incentives. It takes massive action at the level of regulation of corporations and huge government programs that force systemic change to actually make an impact. Use rechargeable batteries anyway, it'll save you a bit of money, but there's no need to beat yourself up about using a plastic bag when it could have maybe been a cloth bag or the fact you use disposable diapers for your baby.

Nov 6, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Wasn't there something a while back about how copper is antibiotic and if we just made our hospitals clad in copper instead of stainless steel everywhere, there'd be a lot fewer infections and a lot less need to try to sterilize everything?

Also this reminds me of how when I was growing up (in California), due to the droughts, my mom would put a brick in the toilet cistern and put two gallon jugs of water int he bathtub so a bath would use less water and do all these things to cut our water usage by a few gallons a month. And then I read about how much of our freshwater is wasted on loving alfalfa, pistachios, and almonds. Like a gallon of water per individual almond, most of which get exported as cash crops.

You think that's bad...

quote:

Although almond milk does have its drawbacks, the dairy industry wastes incredible amounts of water and harms animals. According to a 2022 study based in Australia, it takes anywhere from 433 to 11,110 liters of water to make just one liter of milk. The wide range accounts for the different water quality standards used in various areas, but it certainly shows the dairy industry's impact on water waste, alone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah the cattle industry is another bag of fish and california has one - note the mention of alfalfa, which is mostly grown as feed - but now I'm wondering what proportion of almonds are made into almond milk

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

My sister used to not buy paper towels because she read that was wasteful, she'd have dish cloths and rags for everything which is OK but sometimes you need a paper towel, you know? Then at costco when a five gallon pail of soy sauce spills on the floor they just grab eight rolls of paper towel, rip off the plastic, and throw the entire rolls on the floor. Like there's six months of my sister's careful frugality straight in the bin because it's a tiny bit more convenient than finding a mop and bucket.

There are obviously many examples of stuff like this that are top down, and like, industrial level worse of course. This one just made me laugh a little thinking from whoever is cleaning it up's perspective 'my boss isn't paying me enough to deal with this and doesn't care how the floor gets cleaned. This is the easiest way around it.'

But yeah, individuals aren't going to save the world like we've been told and scolded about forever. That's going to take some doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tbh at this point I think innovation is more important than prevention when it comes to waste and emissions.

There's not a person alive who gives a poo poo about the environment when they don't have food security or shelter or options and the two most populated countries on earth also have the largest numbers of disaffected and poor and pollute the most and it would be hypocritical to blame the individual.

Im happy to do my best as an individual but me recycling isn't going to do much with what China and India are doing. It's going to be some nerds at a university that fix this poo poo.