Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Why did he make his face wider and more square?

If I had infinite money I would ask the Hollywood face surgeons to like make it the best face.

Also I would use said infinite money for a smart person to be like "be kinder to your partner, stop doing whatever this is."

Those both seem like cool options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Non Compos Mentis posted:

you guys wanna see something cool?

and by cool i mean poo poo

https://twitter.com/testanonytwit/status/1619148869652328448

e: booo it cuts off on the embed

What does this look like on the timeline?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

takes a good two or three scrolls down to get to the bottom

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I wonder if people will have to click through to unscroll the whole post. Or if it'll be expanded by default. Both are not good options for Twitter's usability.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

on the other hand this will be perfect for screeds, credos, and manifestos

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Looks like nitter doesn't support this yet. Don't implement it.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

I wonder if videos of people being assholes with Tesla autopilot are going to cause a backlash against it like what happened with Google glass? The tech is so clearly lovely to anyone who's not already invested in it and the biggest fans are smug unlikable tech bros.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gotta give credit to Musk. That long tweet is exactly as lovely as I imagined it was going to be.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
For an extra $150 a month, we're opening up API access to other people's Teslas.

Feel free to send them messages or activate their emergency breaks.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why bother paying when someone will figure out how to do it for free

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Elon is absolutely destroying the center-left mainstream media on Twitter! Not only that, but Twitter's recent performance has defied all critics who insist that everything Elon touches explodes into flames immediately.

Now excuse me while I peel off in this Tesla with perfect comedic timing

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

explosivo posted:

Sorry, I meant like if you follow the guy. Does the whole tweet show between other tweets, or do you have to expand it?

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

explosivo posted:

on the other hand this will be perfect for screeds, credos, and manifestos

Finally I can fully articulate my opinions vis-a-vis the n-word and why it's crucial in preventing nuclear war. Hi, I'm Ben Shapiro and I'm about to blow your minds!

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Tears In A Vial posted:

Sorry, I meant like if you follow the guy. Does the whole tweet show between other tweets, or do you have to expand it?

It clips it and adds a 'Show more' button

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://thymewayster.tumblr.com/post/708273672402681856/really-good-twitter-thread-originally-about-elon

Is this about Elon? Is it about (your favorite internet service)?

quote:

John Bull @garius

One of the things I occasionally get paid to do by companies/execs is to tell them why everything seemed to SUDDENLY go wrong, and subs/readers dropped like a stone. So, with everything going on at Twitter rn, time for a thread about the Trust Thermocline /1

So: what’s a thermocline?

Well large bodies of water are made of layers of differing temperatures. Like a layer cake. The top bit is where all the the waves happen and has a gradually decreasing temperature. Then SUDDENLY there’s a point where it gets super-cold.

That suddenly is important. There’s reasons for it (Science!) but it’s just a good metaphor. Indeed you may also be interested in the “Thermocline of Truth” which a project management term for how things on a RAG board all suddenly go from amber to red.

But I digress.

The Trust Thermocline is something that, over (many) years of digital, I have seen both digital and regular content publishers hit time and time again. Despite warnings (at least when I’ve worked there). And it has a similar effect. You have lots of users then suddenly… nope.

And this does effect print publications as much as trendy digital media companies. They’ll be flying along making loads of money, with lots of users/readers, rolling out new products that get bought. Or events. Or Sub-brands.

And then SUDDENLY those people just abandon them.

Often it’s not even to “new” competitor products, but stuff they thought were already not a threat. Nor is there lots of obvious dissatisfaction reported from sales and marketing (other than general grumbling). Nor is it a general drift away, it’s just a sudden big slide.

So why does this happen? As I explain to these people and places, it’s because they breached the Trust Thermocline.

I ask them if they’d been increasing prices. Changed service offerings. Modified the product.

The answer is normally: “yes, but not much. And everyone still paid”

Then I ask if they did that the year before. Did they increase prices last year? Change the offering? Modify the product?

Again: “yes, but not much.”

The answer is normally: “yes, but not much. And everyone still paid.”

“And the year before?”

“Yes but not much. And everyone still paid.”

Well, you get the idea.

And here is where the Trust Thermocline kicks in. Because too many people see service use as always following an arc. They think that as long as usage is ticking up, they can do what they like to cost and product.

And (critically) that they can just react when the curve flattens

But with a lot of CONTENT products (inc social media) that’s not actually how it works. Because it doesn’t account for sunk-cost lock-in.

Users and readers will stick to what they know, and use, well beyond the point where they START to lose trust in it. And you won’t see that.

But they’ll only MOVE when they hit the Trust Thermocline. The point where their lack of trust in the product to meet their needs, and the emotional investment they’d made in it, have finally been outweighed by the physical and emotional effort required to abandon it.

At this point, I normally get asked something like:

“So if we undo the last few changes and drop the price, we get them back?”

And then I have to break the news that nope: that’s not how it works.

Because you’re past the Thermocline now. You can’t make them trust you again.

This is an even better article, it's about TikTok but applies to all platforms. Enshittification is 2023's word of the year

https://www.wired.com/story/tiktok-platforms-cory-doctorow/

quote:

Here is how platforms die: First, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves. Then, they die.

I call this enshittification, and it is a seemingly inevitable consequence arising from the combination of the ease of changing how a platform allocates value, combined with the nature of a "two-sided market," where a platform sits between buyers and sellers, hold each hostage to the other, raking off an ever-larger share of the value that passes between them.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Non Compos Mentis posted:

you guys wanna see something cool?

and by cool i mean poo poo

https://twitter.com/testanonytwit/status/1619148869652328448

e: booo it cuts off on the embed

How does the length of this tweet compare to the dong of a president's son?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

zedprime posted:

Gotta give credit to Musk. That long tweet is exactly as lovely as I imagined it was going to be.

someone should tweet at Elon 44 billion dollar symbols.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

explosivo posted:

expected the full version of this to be a colossal ascii art goatse, disappointing

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Someone make a giant tweet full of hundreds of mentions, that's gotta crash something right

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Musk's plan comes to light, turn the entire public into free qa so you don't have to pay testers

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-mastodon-bump-is-now-a-slump/

Mastodon sux?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

It was never going to be a direct replacement, so not suprising.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

fuckin' :lol:, incredibly rich coming from this dumbshit.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Tears In A Vial posted:

What does this look like on the timeline?

On the iPhone app, it is cropped with a link that you click on to expand it and see the whole message. However, clicking on the link directs you to the post on Twitter.com. So you are loading the post through the Twitter website through the Twitter app!

https://youtu.be/cRxoek0ln6Q

Yellow Ant fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 7, 2023

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

if you make the tweets longer you can put an ad between each one instead of every couple tweets

So few understand this

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1623014136258117633

lol this clown on the clown car

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
What a nothing statement.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

He was later quoted as saying, "as long as those differing views are ones I personally agree with"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

N. Senada posted:

What a nothing statement.

It’s a bland corporate mainstream PR-tested statement but uttered by someone who earnestly believes it will go down in the history books (like all his statements).

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

fuckin' :lol:, incredibly rich coming from this dumbshit.

this falls somewhere between painting with blood and bad taxidermy on the "first year art student" meter

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
no one ever considers the girth of a tweet

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oscar Wild posted:

After seeing his elden ring build I'm curious how Elon played Denton

Probably violent and brutal.
I tried to stealth, lockpick, hack, and non-lethal my way through it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

So glad the app that was created to showcase short quick bursts of thought now allows users to post entire manifestos. Things are looking up at Twitter thanks Elon!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So I can call fascist Nazi assholes "fascist Nazi assholes" without getting banned, now? Or are they still going to be hypocrites?
(I know the answer.)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Except in Germany, because Germany has laws against the type of speech that they're about to greenlight in the US

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

I’d wager the values being accepted are going to fall mostly into the “maybe vaccines are more dangerous than the diseases they claim to prevent” and “Hitler did have some good ideas actually” camps.

Anyone attempting to cast doubt on Tesla’s self-driving capabilities or Elmo’s management style are going to find themselves staring down a suspended account screen.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

https://twitter.com/TJMoe28/status/1623015038599430144

Oh yeah dude, totally, in fact I just looked it up and the definition of "conservative" is "someone open to new ideas"

gently caress off

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Why can't I have an open and frank discusion about how I am a raging bigot with leftists

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

says the dude who was fuckin grimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
'member all those books leftists took out of schools recently