Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Serephina posted:

It's also excruciatingly anime / sexualized prepubescent girls, incase anyone else downloads that demo without knowing. Hard pass.

Also nazism propaganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Stone shart

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

Parry systems are an interesting topic. Game devs love them because they force players to engage with enemy mechanics for zero effort on the dev side. But they can often feel like following a routine set of instructions before you get to play the game again and in the worst cases slow combat down.

To me the most memorable parry system is dark souls but it's entirely optional, super difficult, and turbo broken. Sekiro's parry system is good but it is the entire game, it's not very copyable. What are some of the other "model" parry systwms devs are thinking about when they add it to their games?

I'm a few pages late but DMC3's Royal Guard style is extremely cool. It's totally feasible to ignore it completely, but it's a character spec option built entirely for parry freaks; any attack or stage hazard etc can be partied and used to charge up very powerful attacks. Some of them require ungodly timing windows but it exists for the people who are into that

edit: Like you can fall in a pit of lava and then parry the pit of lava if you know what you're doing

goferchan fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 7, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phantom Brigade seems cool but holy poo poo does the demo run like an absolute rear end.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah Hogwarts has decent voice work lol

I don't know, some of those accents are so thick that even native speakers will need Subtitles.

Enjoying Forspoken so far, looks drat pretty.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Phantom Brigade seems cool but holy poo poo does the demo run like an absolute rear end.

I liked what I played of it to, but I am begging developers, PLEASE let us set graphics options before launching into your cold open tutorial.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jack Trades posted:

Is the demo /recent/ or the very same one that did the rounds yonks ago when the game first made it to the EGS? I ask because I DISTINCTLY remember IndiePride and a few others on YT doing playthroughs waaaaaaaaay back when and the content seemed identical.

What I'm really asking is, is the demo representative of all the work the game went through during EA on the EGS, or is it the same slice of gameplay from when it was first shown off?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I finished Half Life: Alyx.

:stare:

I had finally found freedom, I had come to terms with the fact there would never be a Half Life 3. Now after playing this, especially how it ended (how I remain unspoiled on that I have no idea) my terrible, loathsome hope has infected me yet again. VR, first person shooter, I don't care what, make a(nother) new Half Life game, Valve! :shepspends:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
not playing as many Steam Next Fest demos as I used to, owing to my backlog, but I tried a few thus far

Mika and the Witch's Mountain: Cute Kiki's Delivery Service-meets A Short Hike platformer set in what I think is a small open world, seems charming but I was turned off by jump being inexplicably mapped to the Y button, with no option to reassign controls. fortunately, it's still pretty early, I think

Planet of Lana: Very pretty and polished 2.5D cinematic platformer. Doesn't seem to be doing anything terribly novel for the genre, though the demo did hint at some interesting puzzle possibilities involving your companion creature, but I liked it a lot

The Last Case of Benedict Fox: Been looking forward to this one since it was first revealed at the Xbox not-E3 showcase last year - basically, it's a Lovecraft-inspired 2.5D Metroidvania with adventure game-style puzzles and some Souls influence in the combat. Unfortunately, while it has a ton of potential, the demo left me with mixed impressions = while the visuals are gorgeous, the game is very poorly optimized (including a delay of a few seconds when opening and closing the map), combat feels a bit awkward with a parry mechanic that's harder to pull off than it should be, and there's a very weird implementation of double-jumping (it not only consumes the game's equivalent of stamina, but you can only do so when there's an object for your spirit tentacle thing to grab onto). Additionally, the demo throws an overly large chunk of the map at you with what I felt to be insufficient indication of what you're supposed to do next. All that said, the demo does note that it gives you access to certain abilities earlier than you'd get them in the full game for demo purposes, so maybe it'll all cohere better with the proper Metroidvania flow of progression when the full game launches in a few months.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jerusalem posted:

I finished Half Life: Alyx.

:stare:

I had finally found freedom, I had come to terms with the fact there would never be a Half Life 3. Now after playing this, especially how it ended (how I remain unspoiled on that I have no idea) my terrible, loathsome hope has infected me yet again. VR, first person shooter, I don't care what, make a(nother) new Half Life game, Valve! :shepspends:

Check out the HL2 VR mod if you haven't yet, It's fantastic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

explosivo posted:

Check out the HL2 VR mod if you haven't yet, It's fantastic.

Oh poo poo, I'll look into that, thanks!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Jack Trades posted:

Also nazism propaganda

Don't really care about pedo game but that's just a sentai pose, especially with the text box.

Guess it could be a combined nazi-sentai reference though lol

ed: fingers of the girl on the left are really hosed up drat

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nazi-Senpai...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone tried the Darker and Darker demo? What makes the game "PvPvE"?

The trailer makes it look strictly PvE. Maybe friendly fire and you just gotta not kill each other while trying to survive?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone tried the Darker and Darker demo? What makes the game "PvPvE"?

The trailer makes it look strictly PvE. Maybe friendly fire and you just gotta not kill each other while trying to survive?

it's fantasy Tarkov

was all the streamer/tuber rage for a few weeks, dungeon backstabbing and head bashing for views etc

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Nazi-Senpai...

"Take this, Eva Braun-chan..."

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah it's pretty much Mordhau Tarkov, but clunkier. The combat mechanics are such that I died to the first mob or two every time for the first dozen games, but after you figure that out it gets surprisingly enjoyable with a group.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I am only peripherally aware of Tarkov's existence as a game, didn't even know it wasn't on Steam until I just went to go look up a video of that

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Yes, for a game I was very much looking forward to trying, this was one of the worst first impressions I could conceive of. It reminded me of the demo for The DioField Chronicle in how overused the chromatic aberration is and how poorly it ran considering what it looks like. I think the art style of Phantom Brigade is fantastic, but severely let down by its tech and UI. Dear god Phantom brigade is so fiddly feeling and hard to actually like... do what you want to do while seeing where enemies will be and what they'll be doing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was pretty excited for Phantom Brigade, but fiddly is pretty much the perfect description of it. The concept is cool and I felt like I had a decent grasp of it, but even after an hour or two I still felt I was fighting with their various systems. Still interested, just maybe less so.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmm, Phantom Brigade ran decently enough for me. Broken Arrow on the other hand? Like absolute poo poo.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
There's a demo for The Last Starship that's probably worth checking out if you like Rimworld/Dwarf Fortress style colony building stuff, but on a spaceship that can travel and do quests. From Introversion (Uplink, Darwinia, Prison Architect, DEFCON). I haven't checked out this demo, but I imagine it's the same as the playtest builds which I've been checking out and are pretty cool as an alpha/proof of concept if you're into this kind of game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I checked out the demo for Heistgeist, which is a deckbuilder (a la Slay the Spire) RPGish game (?) centered around heists, and looks to be more story-centric than infinitely playable. At least for the demo level, you have one person who does the standard deckbuilder play cards, do damage, don't get killed stuff, while the other character plays a different card-based hacking minigame, generally to open doors for the meatspace character, but also occasionally to remove encounters or reduce Alertness (I don't know what this does when it caps out, but I assume Not Good things).

Obviously I can't speak to how deep the mechanics are or how good the story is, but I think there's a lot of potential, especially if there are other "minigames" for various other parts of the heist (i.e., manipulating people, getaway driver, etc.). There will also probably be different themes for the combat character, as the one in the demo is labeled a "razorgirl deck," and has the general mechanic of wanting to go A -> B -> C in her cards to get additional effects.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Humble Choice February:

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Fallout 76 + Fallout 1
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
Othercide
Shady Part of Me
Scourgebringer
Fobia - St. Dinfna Hotel
Five Dates

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Kennel posted:

Five Dates

Weedle
May 31, 2006

thronebreaker rules if you liked magic the gathering (pc, 1997)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

code vein $9 or nioh 2 $30?

edit: looks like Nadir is out of EA today? sale on that too

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mescal posted:

edit: looks like Nadir is out of EA today? sale on that too

Code Vein has a demo that you could check out. Personally, I bounced off it hard; the movement and attacking did not feel good at all.

Nioh 2 is really good

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mescal posted:

Code Vein is very mediocre soulslike and Nioh 2 is the best game in the genre, don't @ me.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-very-positive-bundle-3
Build your own positive bundle on fanatical
FAR-Line Sails
Astronarch
Tower of time
Clustertruck
Cosmic star heroine
Save room
Nomad survival
Buddy sim 1984
Monstrum
Superbugs-Awaken
Nobodies
Adventures of chris
The corridor
Joggernauts
DIVEKICK

$1 for 1/5 for $2.99/$4.99 for 10

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Meet Your Maker is definitely getting more fun the more time I spend. At first you're just doing crude puzzles made by other people new to the game, and there's some clever gatchyas but nothing too crazy. Then once you start learning more and build more elaborate traps it's really fun. You can watch Replays of other Raiders raiding your base and it's so fun watching people figure your maze out as they die 3-5x in the span of 2 - 10 minutes.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what some people in the community can come up with for devious, bullshit traps.

My first base has had 22 Attempts and it's killed 29 times, giving it a Kill Ratio of 1.3
My second base, a Medium sized one now that I've got my bearings on the game more, has had 4 attempts and has killed 26 times already for a KR of 6.5 :black101:

You can also apply up to 2 of 4 Tags at the end of a Raid on someone's base, Fun, Brutal, Ingenious, and Artistic. Also fun seeing how people rate your maze afterwards.

Immensely cool concept for a game.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 7, 2023

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Sab669 posted:

Meet Your Maker is definitely getting more fun the more time I spend. At first you're just doing crude puzzles made by other people new to the game, and there's some clever gatchyas but nothing too crazy. Then once you start learning more and build more elaborate traps it's really fun. You can watch Replays of other Raiders raiding your base and it's so fun watching people figure your maze out as they die 3-5x in the span of 2 - 10 minutes.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what some people in the community can come up with for devious, bullshit traps.

My first base has had 22 Attempts and it's killed 29 times, giving it a Kill Ratio of 1.3
My second base, a Medium sized one now that I've got my bearings on the game more, has had 4 attempts and has killed 26 times already for a KR of 6.5 :black101:

You can also apply up to 2 of 4 Tags at the end of a Raid on someone's base, Fun, Brutal, Ingenious, and Artistic. Also fun seeing how people rate your maze afterwards.

Immensely cool concept for a game.

Seems like a game where Rimworld Killbox Makers can thrive, maybe.

Might give it a go before-or-after NeuroSquad demo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you like JRPGs at all $1 for Cosmic Star Heroine is a fantastic deal.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I Am Future Demo
This is marketed as a post-apocalypse "cozy survival game." They got the cozy part right but there's very little player agency, so it feels more like a puzzly-adventure game than a survival game.

What's there isn't terrible, but I think it needs a lot more work. With a release date of next month, I don't think it's going to get it. What's in right now has you completing some uninformative but generally eventually decipherable goals to progress form zone to zone, gaining access to basic equipment as you go. One zone gives you a hand so you can pick stuff up, the next gives you a rusty saw so you can break some things down, the next gives you a backpack and the one after that gives you a dubiously useful fishing pole. Stuff like that. Zones are pretty small so far. The game does have a day/night cycle with replenishing enemies but only some resources replenish - pushing you to keep advancing lest you exhaust your local resources.

The apocalypse was caused by a "rogue" comet. And the MC was a rich person who was going to escape earth with all the other rich people, but wouldn't you know it, was stopped by those dastardly poor people who were upset the rich people planned to leave them behind to die. So I doubt I'd enjoy the story much and the game play isn't engaging enough to get me to want to finish the demo.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Zereth posted:

See I'd be more interested in the "Total Overhaul" one except there's no way I'm manually downloading 419 mods

I am so late at the pace of this thread, but I would super recommend Open MW + all the tamriel rebuilt content + some of their recommended mods: https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/recommended-mods

Tamriel rebuilt + some of the other recommends expand the world so much it is pretty incredible.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

WarEternal posted:

Dungeon Drafters demo on steam Next Fest is pretty fun, the pixel art is good as hell. Feels like a ton of work went into the game.

Were you able to get gamepad controls to work? I wasn't able to figure out how to cast spells and it seemed flaky in general. Even with gamepad controls set from the start menu, all the tutorials still only had keyboard keybindings, which isn't a great sign usually.

I do enjoy how jumpy and upbeat all the sprites are.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 7, 2023

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Mescal posted:

code vein feels like dogshit to play, nioh 2 is a character action game masquerading as a souls-like for your first playthrough

get nioh 2

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Brocktoon posted:

Extremely happy and proud to share that after toiling in the video game mines for over a decade, my brother has struck out on his own and made the game he has been thinking about for years. Loosely inspired by Miasmata, CACHE GRABBERS is a relaxing, first-person cartography puzzle game, and its page just went up on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2258260/Cache_Grabbers/

Hey, that's me! I am said brother and am working hard on Cache Grabbers. The cool stuff you've said is greatly appreciated! I'd love to hear any feedback, or if you wanna play it I've got a Beta demo build that I can link you to if you DM me. Thanks, everyone!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I went to put Cache Grabbers on my wishlist but it's already there so that's done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hey folks, the game I spent the last three and a half years working on is done! It's called Waves of Steel, and it's a ridiculous build-your-own-warship arcade naval combat game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FDsHyXf7k0

It's on sale for $15 for the rest of this week!