Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

cheesetriangles posted:

A lot of awful anti elf racism getting posted. hosed up guys.

whos being anti elf racism, we have made our "pro" position very clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

ThaumPenguin posted:

That's a good point, I didn't realize there were real-world myths like that, but it sounds compelling. I take it the concept of the ouroborous, the dragon eating its own tail, comes from those myths? It certainly does tie itself very neatly with Alduin's duty of recycling the world into a new kalpa.
As far as I recall, the Dragon Cult ruled for thousands of years before the outbreak of the Dragon War. To me, that hints more towards Alduin stagnating. I know Paarthurnax directly mentions Alduin's abandonment of his kalpic duty, but it's in one of your later dialogues with him, so it's hard to track down a direct citation online.
Some interesting Parthuurnax tidbits about power from the tool I use, (https://content3.uesp.net/oblivion/cs/cslist.php?game=sr&formid=0x0003c57c)

0x0003c574 Dov wahlaan fah rel. We were made to dominate. The will to power is in our blood. You feel it in yourself, do you not?
0x0004591a Alduin always was pahlok - arrogant in his power. Uznahgar paar. He took domination as his birthright.
0x0005586f Dahmaan - remember, Alduin also follows his destiny, as he sees it.
0x0009c21a His doom was written when he claimed for himself the lordship that properly belongs to Bormahu - our father Akatosh.
0x0009c218 Indeed, you saw more clearly than I - certainly more clearly than Alduin. Rok funta koraav.
0x0009c219 You did what was necessary. Alduin had flown far from the path of right action in his pahlok - the arrogance of his power.

So, contradictory: According to Paarthurnax, Alduin saw it as his duty to dominate the world, not eat it. But he admits that Alduin's giving in to the urge to dominate was his downfall. Paarthurnax philosophically resists his own urge to dominate and winds up preventing the kalpic reset by helping the Dragonborn. If Alduin had resisted his urge to dominate and just ate the world already, he would have caused it.

ThaumPenguin posted:

e: The World-Eater is a natural part of Mundus, his duty God-given. Therefore the Divines would not send a Dragonborn to prevent the World-Eater in his duties. The task of the Last Dragonborn is not to save the world, but to destroy the current incarnation of Alduin, whose mind is too poisoned by dominion, so that he one day may return as World-Eater.

The Last Dragonborn, being mortal and hopelessly attached to the world-as-is, must never realize that this is the case. It would be bad for morale.
Consider that the Last Dragonborn is in fundamental opposition to himself. As Dragonborn, he carries an aspect of Akatosh, sure; but as Shezarrine he also carries an aspect of Lorkhan. His nature echoes higher dichotomies (Alduin/Paarthurnax, Auri-el/Lorkhan, Anu/Padomay). He is both mortal and divine. Basically, Skyrim (and the TES creation myth in general) is Gnostic as gently caress.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Akatosh has a long history of... disagreeing with himself

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ThaumPenguin posted:

e: The World-Eater is a natural part of Mundus, his duty God-given. Therefore the Divines would not send a Dragonborn to prevent the World-Eater in his duties. The task of the Last Dragonborn is not to save the world, but to destroy the current incarnation of Alduin, whose mind is too poisoned by dominion, so that he one day may return as World-Eater.

The Last Dragonborn, being mortal and hopelessly attached to the world-as-is, must never realize that this is the case. It would be bad for morale.

We are told this at some point in Skyrim. I think it might be in Sovngarde? The idea that, eventually, Alduin will return to end the kalpa. It's inevitable - but 4E 201 wasn't the appointed time

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah yeah whatever, pass the moon sugar, friend

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

VostokProgram posted:

We are told this at some point in Skyrim. I think it might be in Sovngarde? The idea that, eventually, Alduin will return to end the kalpa. It's inevitable - but 4E 201 wasn't the appointed time
Yeah, Arngeir says it after you come back from Sovngarde

MQ306ArngeirAlduin (0x000f1c78) Perhaps, perhaps not. Dragons are not like normal mortal creatures, and Alduin is unique even among dragonkind.
MQ306ArngeirAlduin (0x000f1c78) He may be permitted to return at the end of time to fulfill his destiny as the World-Eater.
MQ306ArngeirAlduin (0x000f1c78) But that is for the gods to decide. You have done your part.

I just hate it so bad because it's Bethesda just trying to avoid writing themselves into a corner, when they've already shown they can retcon whatever they want and just say, uhhh, an Aedra did it. It's like, you've done this momentous thing with serious consequences: this is The Last Kalpa, we are all playing for keeps now. And then the smartest guy in the game says, meh who knows. I feel like the main quest is so well written apart from this. It's unnecessary, it cheapens the impact of the ending, and it takes you out of the story.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
There's a lot of reasons, beyond cynical marketing and product releases, that the Elder Scrolls series has such incredible cultural staying power. The fact that the world has such a wealth of lore to speculate over but you can also completely ignore it to just kill everyone inside the cave and take all of their stuff ad nauseum if that's your jam is a big part of it.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
tbh I like that Nirn will restart again at some point, with echoes of the last dragonborn existing somewhere in the kalpic stew. Everything having a definite end sucks and feels like something blizzard entertainment would write.

NeurosisHead posted:

There's a lot of reasons, beyond cynical marketing and product releases, that the Elder Scrolls series has such incredible cultural staying power. The fact that the world has such a wealth of lore to speculate over but you can also completely ignore it to just kill everyone inside the cave and take all of their stuff ad nauseum if that's your jam is a big part of it.
Turns out todd's funky rube goldberg game systems are fun when backed up by a fantasy universe with roots deeper than comic books or babby's first D&D campaign.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

NeurosisHead posted:

This almost makes me wish I actually read the books instead of rapidly paging through them looking for skill increases.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's cool that all the weirdo lore is still there, even if you can play the game and take all the generic fantasy stuff at face value

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the generic fantasy stuff is what helps the lore go down better. The much maligned conflict between imperial and Stormcloak being a political-religious-civil war while the equivalent of Kalki decides to wake up early is pretty unique as far as western fantasy games go. A lot of other settings are flashy and over the top with their worlds essentially being paper thin. WoW arguments about who did war crimes is so loving banal in comparison.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like how open-ended the Elder Scrolls lore is.

Like you always have at least three interpretations sometimes totally contradictory for most of the mythology.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
lol i cant play arkham city anymore because after gfwl shut down I have to activate on steam the game again with the original key i used.. I dont even recall ever buying the game anywhere else but steam

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like how open-ended the Elder Scrolls lore is.

Like you always have at least three interpretations sometimes totally contradictory for most of the mythology.

very authentic to real life religious stuff.

Honest Thief posted:

lol i cant play arkham city anymore because after gfwl shut down I have to activate on steam the game again with the original key i used.. I dont even recall ever buying the game anywhere else but steam
Nah, Elder Scrolls has better lore than the superhero games.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
drat, this was the wrong thread lol

oh well, morrowind is pretty cool

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Cyrus the Restless' meeting with Vivec is a classic story of a human outwitting a god, and then you realise halfway though that Cyrus might as well be taking on aspects of said god?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

They totally should lean way more into the batshit what the gently caress feel of the worldbuilding though. Like, Oblivion had a few moments, Skyrim was closer in that tone, but both were far off Morrowind (imo)

Bethesda’s unwillingness to risk things and play it boring makes things much less interesting. Like, the Dragonborn never got anywhere close to Nerevar (personally ofc) in those terms, while arguably more important. Idk I would love for a total off the loving rails elder scrolls dealing actively in gameplay terms with the lore/plot
fuckery from that iceberg meme

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Choosing the more boring generic provinces as settings doesn't help. Easier to make the wacky stuff front and centre in Morrowind or Black Marsh than in Cyrodil (post-jungle retcon at least). I still suspect we're getting High Rock next which - while it still has plenty of weirdo poo poo - is probably the most generic of all? Castles and knights etc won't give as much leniency to get weird with it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
if i wanted to try daggerfall out do i just grab unity or that one's a mess?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

VostokProgram posted:

There's a lot of Dagoth Ur recently: https://youtu.be/jZSDJWXaEb0

I am giggling far too much at these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k378mHXHVPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw0ZVgfQS2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbp9iufuDUA

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DaysBefore posted:

Choosing the more boring generic provinces as settings doesn't help. Easier to make the wacky stuff front and centre in Morrowind or Black Marsh than in Cyrodil (post-jungle retcon at least). I still suspect we're getting High Rock next which - while it still has plenty of weirdo poo poo - is probably the most generic of all? Castles and knights etc won't give as much leniency to get weird with it.

The Ur-Tower, or Adamantine Tower, is the metaphysical lynchpin of all creation. It's the first real structure, built by the Aedra to have a place to sit and answer the first real question of "Mundus: What the hell?". It is the location from which Magnus and his followers screwed off. It's the place where Lorkhan's heart was cast down to the world. It's where all the rules of existence were codified. It is, in many ways, the single most important place in the entire setting. And if Bethesda couldn't do something interesting with it they are truly done. It's such a gimme. Daggerfall was doing a lot with little hardware, so they didn't go super hard into anything beyond background material. That gives them a pass for when they did it in that one.

Which is sort of the real knock against doing High Rock. They already did it. Granted it was nearly 30 years ago, but we had the big High Rock adventure. It was pretty rad for the time. Don't have wereboars, do you Morrowind? SUCK IT! Anyway I'd imagine they'd want to do some other part of the world that never got attention. I mean in a real game, the little poo poo ESO does doesn't count.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I have absolutely no confidence in the ability of Bethesda to convert the vague blurbs of lore into workable gameplay sets. Consistently in Skyrim, the more they try to do high concept stuff in the game, rather than in flavour text, the worse the results get.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

dead gay comedy forums posted:

They totally should lean way more into the batshit what the gently caress feel of the worldbuilding though. Like, Oblivion had a few moments, Skyrim was closer in that tone, but both were far off Morrowind (imo)

Bethesda’s unwillingness to risk things and play it boring makes things much less interesting. Like, the Dragonborn never got anywhere close to Nerevar (personally ofc) in those terms, while arguably more important. Idk I would love for a total off the loving rails elder scrolls dealing actively in gameplay terms with the lore/plot
fuckery from that iceberg meme

morrowind frontloaded the batshittery by launching you face first into a very unique fantasy world. Meanwhile you can go play skyrim while watching Vikings on your second monitor and never realise that Miraak has started the process of understanding CHIM.

steinrokkan posted:

I have absolutely no confidence in the ability of Bethesda to convert the vague blurbs of lore into workable gameplay sets. Consistently in Skyrim, the more they try to do high concept stuff in the game, rather than in flavour text, the worse the results get.

Probably because the game was made for the same machines as Oblivion lol.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, that's the problem, if everything that is going on in the game reads as generic, and you need to rely on your knowledge of super deep cuts of speculative lore to maybe divine some deeper meaning that is barely if at all supported by the text, is that really an effective portrayal of the supposedly intricate world building, or is it in fact just as shallow as it seems, and you are building it up in your head to line up with expectations from previous games? Because nothing in Skyrim is nearly as cool when it's actually happening as some of the wilder interpretations (which often times are longer and more detailed than all of the relevant text in the game) and most often it just sort of sputters and dies.

That's what I meant when I said I don't have faith in Bethesda, not whether they have enough polygons to render the spectacle (they do, and they did in Skyrim)

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 6, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
making something visually flashy etc also means you leave nothing to the imagination. Alduin's Wall for instance has Walk-Brass on it but you don't have someone doing a massive exposition dump snarkily about how this thing is from Daggerfall.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
He is even keen for us to learn how to mod morrowind :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBTjS8LVous

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

an actual frog posted:

He is even keen for us to learn how to mod morrowind :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBTjS8LVous

The Argonian Nerevarine got a fan animation version.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Honest Thief posted:

if i wanted to try daggerfall out do i just grab unity or that one's a mess?

The unity version is the good one, the original is the hot mess. If you want the release experience download unity and do the first couple fights without the 'right click to attack' option clicked on the launch screen.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
The GOG release should have DFU and the must have mods all bundled up. I played through when they first released it and had a great time.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I generally subscribe to the idea that Kirkbride huffs his own farts so hard that his stink grenades poisoned the minds of people who are really into the the lore, but Cyrus bluffing Vivec owns.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Kirkbride can produce some genuinely good writing when he's not indulging himself in buzzwords

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Liberally borrowing stuff from Glorantha helps

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Kirkbride's writing for videogames standards is very good. I feel it's a reasonable bet that a lot of nerds in the west wouldn't have any notion of eastern mysticism, aesthetics and syncretic literature if not for him and Ken Rolston turning on the weird for Morrowind.

However, very good for videogame standards isn't actually that much of a high bar when it comes to just writing period. I do agree with Theotus there, especially with stuff like c0da being a spectacular act of hilarious bullshit in doing authorial fiat to "everything's equally valid", as an act of love while also destroying the setting. lol and lmao

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Guildenstern Mother posted:

The unity version is the good one, the original is the hot mess. If you want the release experience download unity and do the first couple fights without the 'right click to attack' option clicked on the launch screen.

drat what they do originally, click and drag?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

drat what they do originally, click and drag?

Yep! And which way you did it resulted in different matching moves. Drag up and thrust, side to side to slash, drag down to chop. It was an excellent way to kill a mouse back in the day.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
funny how that never works as intended, instead of making combat more involved you just end up doing the same slashes over and over

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Honest Thief posted:

funny how that never works as intended, instead of making combat more involved you just end up doing the same slashes over and over

The sequel: "Always use best attack"

I think when I've replayed Morrowind recently I left that off and actually tried using the various attacks at all.

Daggerfall, well. I value my wrist too much for that.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Kirkbride's writing for videogames standards is very good. I feel it's a reasonable bet that a lot of nerds in the west wouldn't have any notion of eastern mysticism, aesthetics and syncretic literature if not for him and Ken Rolston turning on the weird for Morrowind.

However, very good for videogame standards isn't actually that much of a high bar when it comes to just writing period. I do agree with Theotus there, especially with stuff like c0da being a spectacular act of hilarious bullshit in doing authorial fiat to "everything's equally valid", as an act of love while also destroying the setting. lol and lmao

I mean videogames have other components apart from good writing, and as far as generic D&D+ fantasy stuff goes at least TES has things like cultures drifting away and changing over time.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Bruma mod for Skyrim is surprisingly good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
It's quite the tease.