Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Not life sized, but I 3D printed my very own teeny tiny B2-EMO to sit at my desk and look at me forlorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

twistedmentat posted:

In the backstory of Warhammer 40k, the Emperor, while he was unifying old earth under his leadership, he created super soldiers called Thunder Warriors. They were quick to create and there to simply be his legions to fight the various factions that controlled the hellscape that was Terra at the time. Though at the same time, he was collecting people with deeper knowlage of genetics so he could create something better and more stable to do to to the galaxy what he was currently doing to Terra, the Space Marines. When Earth was completely under the Emperors control, he assembled all his Thunder Warriors at a single location, and unleashed the Space Marines on them, slaughtering almost all of them. When someone said "hey what happened to the Thunder Warriors?" they'd get "oh they revolted and had to be put down".

I cannot help but thinking the Empire is planning on doing this to the Clones in the Bad Batch. The Empire gets their TK Troopers/Storm Troopers up to a point where they can fully take over from the Clone, and unlike the 40k Emperor, Papa Palpatine is probably going to have to make up a clone rebellion, because they're obviously building towards one, which i'm sure Rampart will not hesitate to just order the TK Troopers to just kill all the clones.
Some of the no-longer-cannon Star Wars videogames featured a clone rebellion being put down by the empire so the idea has been cannon before and I'm sure they'll do it again

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kamino_uprising

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://youtu.be/iy66w5h5mWA

new lofi star wars

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The soundtrack for Obi-Wan Kenobi: A Jedi's Return has been released (not to be confused with the soundtrack for Obi-Wan Kenobi)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Vinylshadow posted:

not to be confused

Too late.
What's "A Jedi's Return"?

EDIT: Googled it. They really released the soundtrack to a Making Of? Amazing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dave Syndrome posted:

Too late.
What's "A Jedi's Return"?

The third movie.
Not too be confused with the third episode

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

HootTheOwl posted:

The third movie.
Not too be confused with the third episode

Oh, so not RotS? (Not to be confused with tRoS)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

twistedmentat posted:

I cannot help but thinking the Empire is planning on doing this to the Clones in the Bad Batch. The Empire gets their TK Troopers/Storm Troopers up to a point where they can fully take over from the Clone, and unlike the 40k Emperor, Papa Palpatine is probably going to have to make up a clone rebellion, because they're obviously building towards one, which i'm sure Rampart will not hesitate to just order the TK Troopers to just kill all the clones.

Ah, so TK stands for Teamkillers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tangentially related to star wars TV but it always amazes and depresses me how quickly someone online can go from being innocuous to showing their whole rear end. The guy on youtube named Scoundrel's Cantina who was uploading the Andor monologues before Disney uploaded the official clips decided to make a post today screaming bloody murder about Wookieepedia adding a pronoun section to character bios and decided that was a step too far with Disney shoving the woke agenda down people's throats. So that's another channel blocked, drat the bigots.

It's just baffling to me how the same people who rave about how good Andor is turn around and then start ranting about the evils of wokeness without a hint of irony. It honestly makes me wonder how many of these bigots actually understood what Andor was going for or if they're just praising andor for being the "badass star wars for adults" surface level reading.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Isn't Wookiepedia a fan site lol

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Breast

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Tangentially related to star wars TV but it always amazes and depresses me how quickly someone online can go from being innocuous to showing their whole rear end. The guy on youtube named Scoundrel's Cantina who was uploading the Andor monologues before Disney uploaded the official clips decided to make a post today screaming bloody murder about Wookieepedia adding a pronoun section to character bios and decided that was a step too far with Disney shoving the woke agenda down people's throats. So that's another channel blocked, drat the bigots.

It's just baffling to me how the same people who rave about how good Andor is turn around and then start ranting about the evils of wokeness without a hint of irony. It honestly makes me wonder how many of these bigots actually understood what Andor was going for or if they're just praising andor for being the "badass star wars for adults" surface level reading.

Not Star Wars related, but I saw this happen with a guy who uploaded tons of Star Gate clips. Their channel was just tons of clips of the different Star Gate shows that I ended up watching a ton of randomly, and they seemed decent, shutting down shitheads in their comment sections.

Then I randomly saw them ranting about "retcons" for the character Bridget in a video about the fighting game Guilty Gear: Strive.
Bridget in the previous games was depicted as a feminine guy who cross-dressed, then Strive made Bridget's story mode all about realising she's transgender and coming out. This made a lot of chuds very angry and there's a ton of stupid poo poo that came out of it (like forged emails trying to make it look like the localisers "went rogue" or whatever), but that's getting a bit too off topic.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Arc Hammer posted:

I am sure a bunch of January 6th types feel like the show is speaking to them personally because they clearly aren't ones for self awareness to begin with.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Arc Hammer posted:

KurdtLives posted:

I am sure a bunch of January 6th types feel like the show is speaking to them personally because they clearly aren't ones for self awareness to begin with.

Something important to know about Star Wars is that at the end of the day EVERYONE thinks they're the rebels. Like I have the misfortune to know more than one person that's a mega conservative Trump lover "we need law and order I hate how immigrants and 'those people' make everything more expensive for us ugh I can't believe a gay person was in a movie why do they have to put politics in everything" level people that think Andor is one of the best TV shows ever made.

People who are like that that are massive Trek fans are the more baffling to me though lol

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Neo Rasa posted:

Something important to know about Star Wars is that at the end of the day EVERYONE thinks they're the rebels. Like I have the misfortune to know more than one person that's a mega conservative Trump lover "we need law and order I hate how immigrants and 'those people' make everything more expensive for us ugh I can't believe a gay person was in a movie why do they have to put politics in everything" level people that think Andor is one of the best TV shows ever made.

People who are like that that are massive Trek fans are the more baffling to me though lol

Not entirely true. Not everyone sees themselves as a rebel. There are many fascists who identify with the Empire and clamour for shows that make them look competent and menacing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I wish I could find the clip from Coupling where Tay Kolma's actor (who plays a Tory in the show) is talking about how because Tony Blair won he and the other conservatives are the rebels against the Labour Empire.

Weirdly that bit has been edited out of the version on Amazon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
In the early 2000s the GOP released a video at their convention that had Dems heads posted over Darth Vader and the Emperor and showed the Republicans as the Rebels. Because fighting for big business and overt racism is rebelling against politicians that are just for big business and slightly subtle racism.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah a lot of conservatives I know aren't fully conscious of their own medium racism, so they rationalize that the progressiveness of the franchise is just good conservatives vs. cartoonish Nazi's because who needs to have self-awareness or to take a step back and think about the world.
Also Voyager and Enterprise weren't great at being progressive (or much else).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's a long way, from there to here

(sorry I had to)

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Kesper North posted:

It's a long way, from there to here

(sorry I had to)

It's BEEN a long way
Enterprise has to moments and so did Voyager but Voyager was the most offensively bad Star Trek show. Ronald D. Moore was the greatest Star Trek writer ever, rose to being the 1A on DS9, when that ended went to Voyager and expected a slight demotion but he loved Trek too much to care. He left the entire franchise behind after only a month on Voyager, but at least we got his Battlestar Galactica partly just because he was like "Let me show you what Voyager should of been like."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A lot of Trek isn't strongly political though, or is political but in a pro-America way that is broadly acceptable to conservatives. Of the movies only 2 or 3 are really interested in political allegory: one is a broad environmental message, and one is about how America won the Cold War and should be magnanimous in victory, and one is an incomprehensible 9/11 Truther film. There isn't much there to object to.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A lot of Trek isn't strongly political though, or is political but in a pro-America way that is broadly acceptable to conservatives. Of the movies only 2 or 3 are really interested in political allegory: one is a broad environmental message, and one is about how America won the Cold War and should be magnanimous in victory, and one is an incomprehensible 9/11 Truther film. There isn't much there to object to.

IV, VI, and the JJ abrams Khan one?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
BSG had some incredible moments but great swathes of it sucked real bad

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

and one is an incomprehensible 9/11 Truther film
Hey, there's some good politics in Star Trekintodarkness. It's not a good movie, but it's got some good politics. It says in no uncertain terms that it is not okay to drone strike foreign countries, even if terrorists personally killed your father figure and you're very mad about it. That's a good message. At its core it's saying militarism is bad, and the desire to militarize things creates its own paranoid culture that makes violence more inevitable. That's also a good message.

If it builds that all on a foundation of "our militarists are secretly responsible for the major terrorist attack against us as part of their plot to promote militarism," well, what's the harm in a little 9/11 Trutherism for a good cause?

(There's obviously plenty wrong with it, and in any case all this ideology was a backdrop for a funny scene where Spock does the funny Khan shout instead of Kirk, which seems to be what the whole movie was actually built around, and that's pretty bad.)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
"Somehow, Khan has returned."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

"Somehow, Khan has returned."

Different universe. This one is younger.
Hotter.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not entirely true. Not everyone sees themselves as a rebel. There are many fascists who identify with the Empire and clamour for shows that make them look competent and menacing.

Yeah, it gets really annoying when someone gets insistent on the whole, "The Empire was right!" thing. No, they weren't, and you're being dumb.

Eiba posted:

Hey, there's some good politics in Star Trekintodarkness. It's not a good movie, but it's got some good politics. It says in no uncertain terms that it is not okay to drone strike foreign countries, even if terrorists personally killed your father figure and you're very mad about it. That's a good message. At its core it's saying militarism is bad, and the desire to militarize things creates its own paranoid culture that makes violence more inevitable. That's also a good message.

If it builds that all on a foundation of "our militarists are secretly responsible for the major terrorist attack against us as part of their plot to promote militarism," well, what's the harm in a little 9/11 Trutherism for a good cause?

(There's obviously plenty wrong with it, and in any case all this ideology was a backdrop for a funny scene where Spock does the funny Khan shout instead of Kirk, which seems to be what the whole movie was actually built around, and that's pretty bad.)

I like this. It pairs well with some posts I've seen around here about Star Trek '09, in showing JJ's ideology. The short version is that JJ is a very optimistic man and filmmaker, and his first Star Trek movie is basically dark, cold, scary sci-fi of the future coming face to face with bright, happy, optimistic sci-fi of the past, and the dark sci-fi eventually loses. It's why the Enterprise is shown as a literal "ship of lights" (which led to everyone complaining about lens flare), and why Nero's ship is all dark and freaky looking. And Nero also happens to be a canon obsessed nerd ("Don't tell me it didn't happen! I SAW IT HAPPEN!") While the Enterprise crew is all, "Looks like the timeline changed and things are different. Whatever, let's roll with it." It doesn't really work for the whole movie, because JJ is not a perfect filmmaker or anything, but overall it works. And why it's one of my favorite Trek movies. (JJ being a Star Wars fan and making people say, "Punch it!" helps, too.)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 7, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, it gets really annoying when someone gets insistent on the whole, "The Empire was right!" thing. No, they weren't, and you're being dumb.

I really like the angle that The Empire is The Republic but mask off, it's timely in all the best/worst ways

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

HootTheOwl posted:

Different universe. This one is younger.
Hotter.
:wrong:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
SPOILERS!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Prediction: in the season finale of the mandalorian he will fight a yuuzhan vong

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

BSG had some incredible moments but great swathes of it sucked real bad
The last season and change held up better than I remembered upon rewatch. It definitely peaked during "Exodus".

thrawn527 posted:

I like this. It pairs well with some posts I've seen around here about Star Trek '09, in showing JJ's ideology. The short version is that JJ is a very optimistic man and filmmaker, and his first Star Trek movie is basically dark, cold, scary sci-fi of the future coming face to face with bright, happy, optimistic sci-fi of the past, and the dark sci-fi eventually loses. It's why the Enterprise is shown as a literal "ship of lights" (which led to everyone complaining about lens flare), and why Nero's ship is all dark and freaky looking. And Nero also happens to be a canon obsessed nerd ("Don't tell me it didn't happen! I SAW IT HAPPEN!") While the Enterprise crew is all, "Looks like the timeline changed and things are different. Whatever, let's roll with it." It doesn't really work for the whole movie, because JJ is not a perfect filmmaker or anything, but overall it works. And why it's one of my favorite Trek movies. (JJ being a Star Wars fan and making people say, "Punch it!" helps, too.)
Trek '09 was fine for what it was and Beyond was cool and felt more like Star Trek, Into Darkness was a hot mess. Orci/Kurtzman love plot holes and Abrams is random as to whether he will overexplain or underexplain things happening (its annoying how people had trouble following what happened in those two movies in these forums because JJ was too ADHD to hold a shot or edit more clearly). JJ Warsifying Trek was also kind of annoying, while I don't mind trying to avoid staleness you don't want to loose what makes Trek Trek.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

KurdtLives posted:

but at least we got his Battlestar Galactica partly just because he was like "Let me show you what Voyager should of been like."

If the Adama maneuver means dropping a huge ship into a planet's atmosphere, what is the Janeway maneuver?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Animal-Mother posted:

If the Adama maneuver means dropping a huge ship into a planet's atmosphere, what is the Janeway maneuver?

Flying into a nebula to siphon all its coffee.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Animal-Mother posted:

She flew the ship between to binary suns the tidal forces ripped off some cloaked alien ships.

She also did something with the borg queen and time travel

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

Reset Button for all consequences, ship damage, supply loss, and any possible character development. I heard that since the writing was so wishy-washy for her character, Mulgrew assumed towards the end of the show that Janeway was slightly unhinged from her guilt at making the call to stay in the Delta Quadrant in the first episode.
Actually Season 1 Janeway Maneuver is micromanaging everyone on the bridge. But Season 1-7 Janeway Maneuver will never not involve 200% more technibabble than is remotely reasonable. At least Enterprise toned that down.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Parkingtigers posted:

Saw a bunch of those classic style carded Star Wars figures in town yesterday. They had a to of figures branded for the Mandalorian (obviously), and for Obi-Wan. In amongst them was one figure branded for Andor, and it was Val. I swear, they do the Andor show with the same amount of support as the others and I would break and buy a of them. Gimme a Brasso with Maarva's brick accessory, and Kino Loy with a swim float.

dr gorst with little headset that can emit extremely quiet audio

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i actually rather like those stories

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KurdtLives posted:

At least Enterprise toned that down.

They also toned down the lighting I couldnt see poo poo watching enterprise

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
LOL at Palpatine winning again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Right, so, Echo isn't making it out of this season alive, is he

Good on Papa Palpatine doin' what Papa Palpatine does best for his fledgling Empire