Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
BRB updating the Wikipedia page of famous dead monkeys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Patware posted:

lmfao why did ippo pick him up

Gotta go fast

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I have the same face as Ricardo right now, rip in pieces Wally

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Scallop Eyes posted:

I have the same face as Ricardo right now, rip in pieces Wally

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxJsL1RVrvE

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Wally already alluded to quitting boxing soon anyway so that was a death flag

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I thought this was an incredibly effective chapter, especially with the context from last week's inferred revelation that Wally was basically sacrificing himself to let Sendo see how Ricardo would counter the Smash. I don't like Wally that much as a character, but in retrospect, looking at the build to this fight not only as part of Ippo's journey back to the ring (?) but as Part 1 of the Sendo Fights Ricardo story, it's kind of clear why Morikawa chose him: he needed someone to be the sacrifice to the better characters arcs and didn't want to kill off anyone actually interesting.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
That story started around chapter 1381 Return Visit to Mexico so we were reading that fight for 30 chapters since May 17 (38 weeks).

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I will in no way defend the pacing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Good fight : )

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's up to you, Sendo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Great conclusion.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Bloodlust is stored in the sclera.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

https://hni-scantrad.com/lel/read/hajime-no-ippo/en-us/137/1410/page/1

morikawa painstakingly ensures that we do not see woli's face a single time the entire chapter. i think his eye is going to actually be caved in

I'm the "full color spread" where 6/7 characters are monochrome :rolleye:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 8, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So is the fight over over because I decided not to read any of it until it was over

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fabricated posted:

So is the fight over over because I decided not to read any of it until it was over

the bell has sounded, it's over

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ricardo going all Rosemary's Baby on Wally

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

jesus christ that was brutal. if he's not dead he's lost an eye or have a caved in ocular bone.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CharlestonJew posted:

the bell has sounded, it's over
I have read it and I'm pretty happy but I'd be even happier if he was dead in the next chapter

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I just can't imagine them having Ricardo have to bear accidentally killing someone in the ring. He's always been set up as an obstacle, not a villain. I imagine Wally's face has been peeled back from his skull and he'll just retire back to the jungle where his new looks will be accepted.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Flubby posted:

I just can't imagine them having Ricardo have to bear accidentally killing someone in the ring. He's always been set up as an obstacle, not a villain. I imagine Wally's face has been peeled back from his skull and he'll just retire back to the jungle where his new looks will be accepted.

Or maybe that's an opportunity to flesh out his character a bit more before Ippo fights him, as his character right now is just invincible punchman.

Has there been another fight in this series where a guy was full on knocked out on the way down and landed hard on their head like that?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I want to say Ippo in his last dozen fights or so

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It is just bonkers to me that all this buildup is not being done for a fight involving Ippo. It's extremely effective groundwork being laid for the most important fight that like the fifth supporting guy will have.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Larry Cum Free posted:

Or maybe that's an opportunity to flesh out his character a bit more before Ippo fights him, as his character right now is just invincible punchman.

Has there been another fight in this series where a guy was full on knocked out on the way down and landed hard on their head like that?

I think he's a bit more murderous than he's let on and this could be a door to show a more vicious side of his character as he is now getting spotlight as the final boss. The full page panel of the shine in his eyes and the grin on his face when he finally got to put Wally down was not just about his competitive spirit to me the way its been displayed with Ippo. It reminded me way more of a takamura shine of excitement in getting to unleash violence without restraint.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I think he's a bit more murderous than he's let on and this could be a door to show a more vicious side of his character as he is now getting spotlight as the final boss. The full page panel of the shine in his eyes and the grin on his face when he finally got to put Wally down was not just about his competitive spirit to me the way its been displayed with Ippo. It reminded me way more of a takamura shine of excitement in getting to unleash violence without restraint.

Yeah I got that too. Wasn't there a whole sequence in his fight with Date where he 'reverted back to his true form' which, instead of being a technical punch scientist was instead a violent brawler?

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013
Holy loving poo poo that was satisfying

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Guess we have to wait another whole year of chapters for Sendo to also get killed.
And then Vorg too? Before Ippo comes back

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sendo's going to win

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Surprise twist: the series ender is Ippo V Sendo: Round III :aaa:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

this is an extremely large possibility. just lol at miyata. seething.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I hope Ippo dies on the first page of the next chapter

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Takes No Damage posted:

I’d be ok with that and I’d be ok with the series ending as they touch gloves at the start of the fight

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That Works posted:

I’d be ok with that and I’d be ok with the series ending as they touch gloves at the start of the fight

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Flubby posted:

we already sorta know how ricardo would react. during the date fight, he explicitly acknowledges that he's likely to kill date, and presses on anyway because anything less would be a disservice to boxing.

mori might want to layer in that risk as a more meaningful idea in his head, but the currently established character of ricardo, while he isn't happy about the idea of crippling or killing an opponent, doesn't seem concerned with the risk the way someone like Ippo would be

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

The Notorious ZSB posted:

yeah. alf told us this before. ricardo acts like a gentleman but right below that surface is an incredibly vicious fighter

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

I hope Ippo dies on the first page of the next chapter

Ippo sacrifices his life to save Wally's.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sendo's going to win

Takes No Damage posted:

The best part of this would be Sendo getting on the mic after he beats Ricardo and calling out Ippo. Especially if Ippo is his second and is in the ring at the time.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Larry Cum Free posted:

The best part of this would be Sendo getting on the mic after he beats Ricardo and calling out Ippo. Especially if Ippo is his second and is in the ring at the time.

I'm saddened that I actually like this and it will never happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ippo dies to Ricardo and Takamura mysteriously gets a penis transplant shortly after