Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I watched about half of Jawnny's 2k23 video on WarGames and the second ring might as well not exist. Aside from the (admittedly cool) double springboard spot the AI just clusters up into one ring all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Drakkel posted:

So WWE 2k23 is coming soon which means we're in the part of the cycle where 2K posts a bunch of entrances and people are like "AH YEAH THEY FINALLY MADE IT GOOD" and then the actual game comes out and it's the same poo poo as always

https://youtu.be/T_Gk7P1fKlY

They didn’t even make the entrances good this time

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I actually saw a ton of posts on twitter losing it over how good this entrance was to them. They really liked that he was holding two titles.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Didn't they actually remove double titles in universe mode in 2k22?

I feel like I remember either that or a glitch with the double titles

Which is hysterical and sad. :lol:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Shard posted:

I actually saw a ton of posts on twitter losing it over how good this entrance was to them. They really liked that he was holding two titles.

very sad

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I watched the Newlegacy video and aside from the Wargames match it looks indistinguishable from 2k22 to me. What are the odds it'll come out and Universe Mode will still be basically nonfunctional, it'll still have the 100 custom image limit for no reason, the game will die a death if you download too many CAWs, etc etc etc.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

It blew my mind when I found out they shut down the servers to the older WWE 2k games pretty soon after the new game comes out.

Why would you ever give your money to them for bullshit like that

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The same reason people are still paying Bungie for Destiny 2 expansion packs that will be taken away from them within two years: We love shiny rectangles and are willing to put up with too much bullshit when they're the right rectangles.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

JUNGLE BOY posted:

It blew my mind when I found out they shut down the servers to the older WWE 2k games pretty soon after the new game comes out.

Why would you ever give your money to them for bullshit like that

Hey. Sometimes you just wanna pretend you're Otis and whoop a whole buncha butts. Specifically Riccochet. Lots of people are saying.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

CarlCX posted:

The same reason people are still paying Bungie for Destiny 2 expansion packs that will be taken away from them within two years: We love shiny rectangles and are willing to put up with too much bullshit when they're the right rectangles.

But Destiny 2 is a good and fun game

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

But this isn't... where's Heyman? Where's the Usos? The Leis? I don't even like WWE, and this is lame.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Fight Forever is gonna accidentally eat 2K's whole entire lunch by providing a simple barebones spiritual VPW 3 and withholding the kick in the balls that usually comes with these games and I'm right here for it. 2K looks as awful as the rest of the recent crop. It's weird because 12 - 14 weren't bad at all as the AKI-Methodone they ended up being.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

But Destiny 2 is a good and fun game

Unfortunately, by the standards of the genre the WWE games are the most fun 3D wrestling games without relying on emulation because there's only like two others and mdickie's games, while hilarious, still play even worse.

Dishwasher posted:

Fight Forever is gonna accidentally eat 2K's whole entire lunch by providing a simple barebones spiritual VPW 3 and withholding the kick in the balls that usually comes with these games and I'm right here for it.

Which is why we all desperately want this to be true.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
My hope was that Fire Pro Wrestling World would be a wild success and would lead to a new King of Colosseum. But alas.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate X looks different from how I remember it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

unimportantguy posted:

My hope was that Fire Pro Wrestling World would be a wild success and would lead to a new King of Colosseum. But alas.

That we got a second golden age of njpw that lasted from roughly 2013 to 2019 and not a single non mobile 3d Japanese wrestling game was a damned shame.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

CarlCX posted:

They haven't vaulted anything since the Year 2 campaign, aside from the seasonal content.

Speaking of which, I need a game to have a robust enough CAW and create-a-fed system that I can make Destiny into a wrestling promotion. If only they'd allow cool VFX for supers and finishers.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Bonk posted:

They haven't vaulted anything since the Year 2 campaign, aside from the seasonal content.

I hope this continues, but I do not have a great deal of faith.

unimportantguy posted:

Even as someone who's loved Fire Pro long enough to mod childhood consoles and import them, ecstatic though I was about Fire Pro World, I was kind of doubtful about its prospects. It's a 2D game with no licensed characters outside of Japan that launched in barebones early access mode, it was always going to be a really hard sell to the nominal wrestling games audience.

All of that being said: Where they really, really hosed it was their DLC model. Wrestler packs is totally reasonable, but $10-$20 for things like story mode and GM mode that should have been in the base game was ridiculous and trying to wring $20-30 apiece out of the playerbase for things like the ability to edit entrances or customizing parts was not only philosophically lovely, it hosed the creation community, the big reliable audience Fire Pro had going for it in the first place, by forcibly dividing it into the people who were or were not willing to shell out the price of another full game just for the ability to even download custom edits that were made using them.

Fire Pro was never going to be a massive success, but they really boned its one niche by trying to overmonetize it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

CarlCX posted:

They've said they don't have to anymore because file size bloat is much less of a problem since they changed the way content delivery works. A few years back they had everyone re-download the game at about half the file size when they changed all the lighting and re-did a bunch of stuff, so it's basically D3 now, or at least 2.5

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

CarlCX posted:

Even as someone who's loved Fire Pro long enough to mod childhood consoles and import them, ecstatic though I was about Fire Pro World, I was kind of doubtful about its prospects. It's a 2D game with no licensed characters outside of Japan that launched in barebones early access mode, it was always going to be a really hard sell to the nominal wrestling games audience.

All of that being said: Where they really, really hosed it was their DLC model. Wrestler packs is totally reasonable, but $10-$20 for things like story mode and GM mode that should have been in the base game was ridiculous and trying to wring $20-30 apiece out of the playerbase for things like the ability to edit entrances or customizing parts was not only philosophically lovely, it hosed the creation community, the big reliable audience Fire Pro had going for it in the first place, by forcibly dividing it into the people who were or were not willing to shell out the price of another full game just for the ability to even download custom edits that were made using them.

Fire Pro was never going to be a massive success, but they really boned its one niche by trying to overmonetize it.

Agreed. Charging that much just to be able to do custom edits was ridiculous.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/...ampaign=dlvr.it

You'll be able to chose what cut scenes you want to see in Universe Mode

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Didn't 2k14 have branching cutscenes and didn't 2k15 have storyline choices or something?

...what I'm getting at is that it's funny and sad how features get taken out and then put back in with "all-new" speak from publishers. :lol: :cry:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

CarlCX posted:

Did they ever add that a create-a-story mode with the option to import your own art assets?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Miching Mallecho posted:

Didn't 2k14 have branching cutscenes and didn't 2k15 have storyline choices or something?

...what I'm getting at is that it's funny and sad how features get taken out and then put back in with "all-new" speak from publishers. :lol: :cry:

no, universe cutscenes were all random and you're lucky if you even got some or ones that you wanted. this is letting you tell your own story in the sandbox mode. it will probably be broken and not work because that's just universe mode for the last few versions

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Miching Mallecho posted:

Yeah they had storylines you could use in Universe Mode but you had to unlock every single storyline one by one by playing the mode first and by 2k15 there were like 800 storylines so you'd have to play several YEARS of universe mode to unlock them all.

There's also Create-a-Story which was great but for some reason it never tied into Universe Mode and like every good mode they removed it and never brought it back.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Create-a-Story was a victim of the jump between the Xbox 360/PS3 generation to the Xbox One/PS4 generation with the unspoken understanding it would get added back in eventually and then it just never came back lol

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Saw a thing today that 2k23's Universe Mode will have cutscenes you can select to happen before/during/after matches which IS a step forward but then I think about the fact that division rankings, custom titles, and run-ins have all been broken for at least 3 or 4 games in a row without being addressed doesn't give me much confidence it'll actually work.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Any story that could be written for a wrestling game would pale in comparison to Chocolate Drop. The devs know that, so they never put it back.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Bonk posted:

Any story that could be written for a wrestling game would pale in comparison to Chocolate Drop. The devs know that, so they never put it back.

They can never aspire to the heights of Ghost Problems

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

someone at 2k saw all of the Bubsy-centric crimes i was committing with 2k14 and removed all the good features to try and stop me. someday i will find this individual and wreak my terrible vengeance upon them

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

John Dudebro posted:

someone at 2k saw all of the Bubsy-centric crimes i was committing with 2k14 and removed all the good features to try and stop me. someday i will find this individual and wreak my terrible vengeance upon them

What could pawsibly go wrong?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I've made my peace with most of the e-fedder friendly features being gone. I still dream of a game just for making feds. It'll never happen but I'll wait. In the meantime modded fire pro is good enough.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

IGgy IGsen posted:

I've made my peace with most of the e-fedder friendly features being gone. I still dream of a game just for making feds. It'll never happen but I'll wait. In the meantime modded fire pro is good enough.

If the AEW game is mod friendly it's gonna get cool and weird.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they won't let us have chocolate drop v.2

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIOrMtQM834

If you haven’t seen it

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76KBZWC9dqU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

CarlCX posted:

This sums it up for me perfectly. My interest in the game died when I found out I couldn't use the Jon Moxley I downloaded because I didn't buy the $30 update that his moves came from

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

At the very least some workshop creators like Avenger3 will make variations of CAWS that don't require DLC but that's not gonna be universal for every single CAW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

The janky ai offering moments like this always brings a smile to my face, even though I can't figure out all the characters to IRL counterparts