Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
But the White Whale is where Crusch becomes best secondary character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ninjewtsu posted:

It's probably just not for you. Its appeal is a combination of having a lot of interesting core mysteries combined with the main character going through a lot of trauma and the ongoing effects that has on his psychology, as well as how the difference in how he experiences reality vs how everyone else does changes his interpersonal relationships and how people see him. Its presentation and dialogue writing is very capital A Anime (in the sense that normies who don't watch much anime use the word) which is easily offputting.

I found the “core mysteries” interesting, and liked the “respawn to do change strategy and slowly uncover The Secret to updating the new spawn point”, but it seemed like there was a lot of fluff in between that core narrative loop.

Though, if it’s actually good but “not for me” good, I’ll keep watching until the end of S1. Expand your horizons and all that.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I found the “core mysteries” interesting, and liked the “respawn to do change strategy and slowly uncover The Secret to updating the new spawn point”, but it seemed like there was a lot of fluff in between that core narrative loop.

Though, if it’s actually good but “not for me” good, I’ll keep watching until the end of S1. Expand your horizons and all that.

Its a show that spends a decent amount of time setting up the characters, world and politics, especially in season 1 when there are still a lot of moving pieces in play that are meant to help shape Subarau as a character. It honestly didnt click for me until episode 14 or 15, which Im not sure is an indicator of a great show, but I still enjoy it and recommend it whenever I can.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah, a lot of the first season is spent setting stuff up, and the MC is an intolerable poo poo for a large portion of it. I enjoyed it; it's definitely flawed, but once it gets good it's pretty good.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

that "fluff" can be pretty interesting if you get into the psychology of the characters involved, but that involves quite a bit of set up (and being exaggerated cartoon people could very well fall flat anyway). the light novels are super long running and there's only 2 seasons of the show so while there's plenty of fascinating core plot stuff that happens, i'd be hesitant to recommend it on that alone as you're not really going to get resolutions for a bunch of it.

if you wanna see a guy gradually and occasionally dramatically break down due to constant exposure to extreme trauma though it's a pretty fun show

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Re:Zero is just kind of novel for being a fantasy isekai story that gives the bare minimum for world building and actual stakes for the main character compared to the usual power fantasies you get in the genre. It is not particular exceptionally beyond those relatively easy layups but it's still notable compared to much of its competition.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ninjewtsu posted:

that "fluff" can be pretty interesting if you get into the psychology of the characters involved, but that involves quite a bit of set up (and being exaggerated cartoon people could very well fall flat anyway). the light novels are super long running and there's only 2 seasons of the show so while there's plenty of fascinating core plot stuff that happens, i'd be hesitant to recommend it on that alone as you're not really going to get resolutions for a bunch of it.

if you wanna see a guy gradually and occasionally dramatically break down due to constant exposure to extreme trauma though it's a pretty fun show

See, that seems interesting, but why is it buffered with an onslaught of goofy-rear end “wacky harem protagonist” acting?

Like, I feel they should have grabbed the MC tone from Fate UBW or something instead of they wanted to go this route.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

It also aired when every isekai was a happy dream fantasy so re;zero was the one outliner where the main character actually suffers.

I love it though and yes I am a rem waifu card carrier

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

See, that seems interesting, but why is it buffered with an onslaught of goofy-rear end “wacky harem protagonist” acting?

Like, I feel they should have grabbed the MC tone from Fate UBW or something instead of they wanted to go this route.

Its not executed perfectly and definitely hard to notice early on but the harem thing in particular seems like its just riffing on the genre. I think it was intended to be a bit comedic which makes it a bit off-putting when everything else going on is so serious.

If this doesnt stick and you still want to try out another oddball isekai there is also Konosuba which goes in the total opposite direction. Its more of a crude humor mockery of the genre. The old thread title sums it up better than I ever could "D&D with a party of idiots".

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The tonal clash is why rezero works imo. It is a silly clown world full of silly clowns. I wouldn’t want it to like not be cartoonish that sounds unbearable.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
It has the major flaw of Subaru regularly being an enormous idiot in extremely obvious ways and leaving you, the viewer, to scream internally about how stupid he's being.

But some people find that a benefit or something iunno.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think I got it. Re:Zero is tonally inconsistent.

It’s trying to play both the “serious dark psychological fantasy” but also with some slapstick one-offs and drastic shifts in the cartoonyness of its animation style.

The show undermines its own development by throwing around tonal changes at comically bad times. One moment the hero is doing the Noble Sacrifice after a serious bloody fight, and instead of carrying that scene through, the writers insert a throwaway “but first, grab the girls curls and boing them, lol so wacky”, which completely deflates the gravitas of the scene. In another, the hero is doing a conversation to Discover the Serious Plot Secrets that could kill everyone and then falls out a window into a pile of poo poo.

That being said, I only have 15 episodes to go so I might as well finish it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

kater posted:

The tonal clash is why rezero works imo. It is a silly clown world full of silly clowns. I wouldn’t want it to like not be cartoonish that sounds unbearable.

You can do tonal shifts but need to decide on the “main” tone for the show. Made In Abyss has a disconnect between its tone and animation and plot and it works really well, because they hold that tone throughout major scenes and plot points, not insert throwaway gag comedy after each beat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

*looks towards camera*

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can do tonal shifts but need to decide on the “main” tone for the show. Made In Abyss has a disconnect between its tone and animation and plot and it works really well, because they hold that tone throughout major scenes and plot points, not insert throwaway gag comedy after each beat.

what did you do to get your redtext

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Starting to think re:zero is really good now for some reason.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Supremezero posted:

It has the major flaw of Subaru regularly being an enormous idiot in extremely obvious ways and leaving you, the viewer, to scream internally about how stupid he's being.

But some people find that a benefit or something iunno.

I think Subaru being a big idiot is the one of the more realistic things that some people like.

Like, sometimes I do wonder about the isekais where the MCs all have photographic memory and can construct farming equipment or make a gun because they took one college course or saw a youtube video from their past life.

Subaru constantly forgets things in the heat of the moment and has his emotions get the better of him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah that's what I like about re zero, Subaru is a normal guy with problems and imperfections, who didn't play the One Game He Reincarnated To for 12,000 hours and knows every line of dialogue or plot twist or whatever. He's just thrown into the wind like a leaf and while he's got some weird hangups he's way, way more relatable than 99% of isekai protags

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

idk i can count on one hand the number of shows i like that make you spend that much time in the one MC's head, its just not a narration style that translates well to anime imo. the bar you have to meet to make it work is like, Tatami Galaxy

this is the sticking point for modern isekai shows for me whereas it seems like the overpowered thing is it for everyone else

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah that's what I like about re zero, Subaru is a normal guy with problems and imperfections, who didn't play the One Game He Reincarnated To for 12,000 hours and knows every line of dialogue or plot twist or whatever. He's just thrown into the wind like a leaf and while he's got some weird hangups he's way, way more relatable than 99% of isekai protags

That's true, but even so it was a bit hard to bear with him around the mid-point of the first season. For a time I found it pretty difficult to keep watching. They also throw around a whole lot of terms and titles, and it can be hard to keep track of them all. Still, I liked it overall, it does some interesting things with the genre, world-building, and character development, and I'm glad I finished it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The "wackiness" of the Re:Zero world almost entirely comes from Subaru, though. (Puck's playful personality not withstanding.) Everyone else acts and reacts like a normal loving person, and I think that's the point. His hijinks are literally him just falling back on his otaku background as a means to cope with absolutely, bug-gently caress insane situations he finds himself in. I love him as a character because he's exactly how you'd imagine a well-meaning but emotionally stunted otaku with huge self-esteem issues would act.

A whole lot of people cringe at the scene where he's screaming at Emilia, but that is the realist poo poo in the world. That is the exact point he loving snaps and just dumps everything in a meagre attempt to salvage his own sanity and ego. He fucks up hard in that scene, and he knows it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

A whole lot of people cringe at the scene where he's screaming at Emilia, but that is the realist poo poo in the world. That is the exact point he loving snaps and just dumps everything in a meagre attempt to salvage his own sanity and ego. He fucks up hard in that scene, and he knows it.

That's the best scene in the show. I love the extra work they put into his face to make him look as gross and desperate as possible, and the dissonance with the ED creeping into the scene is such a great tone. Plus repeating the reflecting in each others' eyes imagery from the other time he made a huge rear end out of himself (publicly yelling "satella" at her in a busy street). You can just feel how revolting the show wants you to find him, love that poo poo

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

oh yea, even if its not your favorite cup of isekai, gonna give props to Subaru's VA, he really brings out the crazy when he needs to

i wish they would animate the re;zero IF 'what if...' stuff, where Subaru runs away or gives in during on the series' many turning points and what would have happened

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It would be have been ballsy if that blow up with Emilia was hands down the thing that killed their relationship permanently for the rest of the story.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 7, 2023

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
my favorite scene is when puck chops subaru's head off and the credits roll for 2 minutes

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
all the scenes where Subaru gets brutally or swiftly executed are good. I also like the parts where he cries

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It would be have been ballsy if that blow up with Emilia was hands down the thing that killed their relationship permanently for the rest of the story.

It killed it for like 12 episodes, that ain't nothing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

It killed it for like 12 episodes, that ain't nothing

I mean it's still an isekai and she's main girl so. But could you imagine the balls to make such a disgusting selfish tantrum like that and stick to it as a permanent "you hosed up and no amount of death and respawning mechanics is EVER going to fix that" conclusion.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean it's more the fact of him having some amount of personal reflection afterwards that leaves room open

the way subaru acted sucked but in the end it was something that primarily effected himself and that's why it was ultimately his problem to get over

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean it would have been unique but it would have been weird in a story about personal growth. i mean subaru could have grown for his own sake or smth but it would have been a bit of a downer still. maybe in like, a broader fantasy story where you got more of a bunch of different perspectives that kind of idea would work but rezeros pretty focused on subarus pov due to the ln format and such so

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i could see it in a story where he uses that experience to grow separately, and despite growing as a person isn't ever able to repair the relationship he torpedoed and needs to move on. that's how real life relationship disasters tend to work, but in re:zero it's a tough fit with how much of the story is centered around emilia outside of subaru - it's be effectively removing the character from the story, and uh there's a lot of reasons you can't continue re:zero's plot without emilia

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean you could continue the story with Emilia present and just make it perfectly clear that they're strictly interacting at a distance from now on rather than continuing a romantic lead pairing after a godawful incel rant. I don't know how well it would play with the audience and shippers but you could definitely do it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you could do it, but it would be a strictly different story in a way that's neither better or worse

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm just saying it would be ballsy to absolutely annihilate your main romance like that and stick to your guns. Whether or not it was better is beside the point, it's something I doubt has been seen in an isekai.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It would, indeed, be a bold and unusual move

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a lot of the older isekai are pretty melodramatic shoujo stuff so honestly i wouldn't be shocked if something like it has happened before. if you're scared of spoilers for 20+ year old isekai anime read no further

i think the rayearth manga did have a part where hikaru and one of her romantic interests had to battle with each other in a contest for ultimate god powers. dunbine had a weird thing where one of the main characters' girlfriend got shot in the head with an actual gun by her own mom and then in the ova where everyone... reincarnated...? show's reincarnation hooked up with her reincarnation instead of her actual boyfriend from the show. escaflowne had a whole beat where the girl initially thought she was in love with the blonde prince who reminded her of her sports captain but it turned out she actually liked the less handsome, more brash punk prince more.

the rayearth anime had the part where a guy who spent the past season and a half crushing on one of the main girls rescues her, she shouts "thank you, i love you...", he gets excited, and then she continues "... as one of my greatest friends!" and then he basically dies and never does anything notable in the rest of the show. honestly there's a lot of bizarre stuff you could point to wrt big romances across all the different versions of rayearth, there's also the whole rayearth ova that's an alternate universe reverse isekai where the characters who were their boyfriends in the show all try to brutally murder them in one on one combat after nuking tokyo

shokei shoujo is a more recent one where the central relationship is premised on the isekai girl knowing that her girlfriend's final objective is to murder her and she's ok with that

wings of rean has the central romance that doesn't exist for like 90% of the story, and then randomly ends with the heroine's former-wwii kamikaze pilot now-fantasy dimension warlord emperor who wants to destroy america sacrificing himself to save tokyo from a nuclear bomb and then both of the protags making out in the immediate aftermath only for the heroine to vanish into the aether as she gets dragged back into fantasy land and the main character just starts crying and they roll credits

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 7, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I also want to hop in and just say that Re:Zero's S2 opening, Long Song, is top 5 OPs of the last decade. And we only hear it like 3 loving times the whole season because they crammed so much content, they just skipped the OP/ED for 10 of the episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8X5hG51jbA

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Big Leg posted:

my favorite scene is when puck chops subaru's head off and the credits roll for 2 minutes

That is one of my favourite moments and episodes in the show. The music that plays over it while the snow slowly accumulates is just so well done.

I feel like Ive never actually asked this before but can you guys recommend me some anime from the late 80s and early 90s? Genre doesnt matter in this case. DBZ might be the only anime I have ever watched from that time period and I feel like Ive seen enough modern shows that it might be nice to watch some of the stuff that inspired it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

That is one of my favourite moments and episodes in the show. The music that plays over it while the snow slowly accumulates is just so well done.

I feel like Ive never actually asked this before but can you guys recommend me some anime from the late 80s and early 90s? Genre doesnt matter in this case. DBZ might be the only anime I have ever watched from that time period and I feel like Ive seen enough modern shows that it might be nice to watch some of the stuff that inspired it.

War in the Pocket. 6 episodes of Gundam's best.