Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vandar posted:

There's a character in the game named THE LOATHESOME DUNG EATER.

The TROUBLESOME CACA CHOMPER

The IRKSOME DOODOO NIBBLER

That character was genuinely unsettling but that name was a real choice

Also, it's weird seeing the discourse about the Harry Potter game around different corners of the internet. I wonder how the grand total sales are going to shake out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Elden Ring's second half was boring asf

It's the only Souls game I've ever beaten and not immediately started again after beating it. It was cool but it's just so much busywork that I don't ever want to do again and the exploration stuff definitely lost its luster after one playthrough

e: Dark Souls 3 is the only souls game I haven't beaten, I think, I'm not too sure about that because DS3 was so entirely forgettable that for a long time I thought I never played it past the first zone, until one time I looked up all the bosses on the Wiki and went "hm I'm pretty sure I remember all of these"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 7, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Manager Hoyden posted:

The TROUBLESOME CACA CHOMPER

The IRKSOME DOODOO NIBBLER

That character was genuinely unsettling but that name was a real choice

Also, it's weird seeing the discourse about the Harry Potter game around different corners of the internet. I wonder how the grand total sales are going to shake out

Do regular people know how repugnant Rowling is? I know, because she always gave me weird vibes and the books gave me a "teachers pet" vibe, so I was kind of glad for be further vindicated (she'd said weird or gross poo poo even before veering hard into Terfdom). Some of my acquaintances did the whole "girl who reads as a personality trait and calls bad politicians Voldemort" thing did a 180 on her because they were tuned into the discourse. But I'm not sure a lot of people know what a TERF is outside of the internet, and if they do, do they know Rowling is one? And that's assuming they disagree with her bile. And even then, their childhood nostalgia might win out.

In short, I'm not hopeful a boycott would actually mean a whole lot.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
There are probably hundreds of people who worked on the Harry Potter game who are fine people. But JK Rowling is still a total rear end in a top hat. And she writes inconsistent themes and characters.

either way im nit playing Harry Potter im playin Contra Hard Corps.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Elden Ring's second half was boring asf

People who don’t like the second half of soulsborne games don’t deserve the first half.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

I honestly expect it to sell pretty well. People who are tuned in enough to know they should :sever: from Harry Potter are the exception. That said, I also fully expect the game to turn out to be extra lovely regardless of anything else

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

galagazombie posted:

People who don’t like the second half of soulsborne games don’t deserve the first half.

They should prob stop making the second halves of their games boring asf then. Bloodborne managed to be fun the whole time, so did Sekiro.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I like games where it's entirely optional and maybe adds a certain kind of complexity for those who want it but can be totally ignored with no detriment. Reckoning: Kingdoms of Amalur loving nailed this and my unpopular opinion is that the world has yet to see an open world action RPG in a fantasy setting that usurps that game. We can split hairs about Witcher, but nothing CPRG does is really an `action` game in the "arcade combat" sense, IMO. Reckoning was that, and did it very well.

Didn't kingdoms of amalur get exiled from the internet when the Curt Schilling state funding stuff happened? That was his game wasn't it?

Quote-Unquote posted:

Low effort sequel to Bully that is set in a knock-off hogwarts called dogfarts and you can give all the nerd wizards magic wedgies

Bully was a great game and deserving of a sequel

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They should prob stop making the second halves of their games boring asf then. Bloodborne managed to be fun the whole time, so did Sekiro.

pretty sure bloodborne (sony) and sekiro (activision) had much bigger budgets than the usual bandai namco fare, which would explain why they feel more consistently polished

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disagree on both counts, honestly.

Edit: hrm, I think the parts that all sucked in Bloodborne might have been optional, so maybe not that.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ilmucche posted:

Bully was a great game and deserving of a sequel

Pretty sure a sequel to Bully is confirmed to be in the works.

Edit: Nevermind, it was cancelled.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Do regular people know how repugnant Rowling is?

No they don't. Full Stop.

Hell there was a dude in the PS5 thread who had no idea and was actually going to buy the game till her reputation came up and was like " oh drat I had no idea".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

itry posted:

Pretty sure a sequel to Bully is confirmed to be in the works.

Edit: Nevermind, it was cancelled.

Yeah it's been rumoured for years but I don't think there's ever been anything official

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Barudak posted:

Disagree on both counts, honestly.

Edit: hrm, I think the parts that all sucked in Bloodborne might have been optional, so maybe not that.

Yeah if you count Chalice Dungeons and poo poo like that it's anus.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Everyone is just 100% poised and primed by media to find a justified hate target for whatever reason their social media echo chamber desires, and video games are no exceptions.

I say hate games for how bad they are, not for the views of one of thousands of people getting paid for the video game. I haven't watched anything more than the initial trailer but it's not like Hogwarts Videogame is guaranteed to have all the insane author's views. It's more likely to be boring because it's designed by committee.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, is harry pooiter a good or a bad game then

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They should have made the harry potter game about an anime witch and wizard school, twitter would be going completely nuts for it

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

jokes posted:

It is a game, please ask if it is art.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

satanic splash-back posted:

It is a game, please ask if it is art.

ugh shut up about the "video games are/aren't art" bullshit

the question is if this video game is good art or bad art

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It looks boring as hell.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Please post a review after playing a few hours of the game, splash-back. Then we can know if it's a bad game art product or not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

It's a good game.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Disco Pope posted:

Do regular people know how repugnant Rowling is?

I have to wonder what tweets Samuel Clemens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, JR.R. Tolkien and Charles Dickens would have made in response to all of this controversy. As men who were "products of their time", would they support her or decry her?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 8, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

itry posted:

Please post a review after playing a few hours of the game, splash-back. Then we can know if it's a bad game art product or not.

I promise to maybe watch a few minutes of gameplay and post a few paragraphs

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
its good art because the textures are 4k and it has global illumination
next question

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I promise to maybe watch a few minutes of gameplay and post a few paragraphs

Good enough, I guess.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

jokes posted:

No because he is not a lego

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Rowling should be placed in a capsule and have her body broken down into an organic substance that can resurrect Ursula K Le Guin so we can have an actual good writer again instead of a worthless bag of poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

I have to wonder what tweets Samuel Clemens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, JR.R. Tolkien and Charles Dickens would have made in response to all of this controversy. As men who were "products of their time", would they support her or decry her?

It's easier to deal with that poo poo when the person is dead and not going around actively making people's lives worse.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Everyone is just 100% poised and primed by media to find a justified hate target for whatever reason their social media echo chamber desires, and video games are no exceptions.

I say hate games for how bad they are, not for the views of one of thousands of people getting paid for the video game. I haven't watched anything more than the initial trailer but it's not like Hogwarts Videogame is guaranteed to have all the insane author's views. It's more likely to be boring because it's designed by committee.

No people just don't want to support bigots you piece of poo poo. Even if hypothetically it was for internet cool points, you act like that's a loving bad thing. You are poo poo and can gently caress right off.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

No people just don't want to support bigots you piece of poo poo. Even if hypothetically it was for internet cool points, you act like that's a loving bad thing. You are poo poo and can gently caress right off.

lol what?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Normally I wouldn't be 100% poised and primed to find a justified hate target, but gosh darn it all this social media! I hope everyone finds me cool for attacking you though.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

I'm going to give an unpopular opinion of my own here and say gently caress this nonsense and that it's genuinely offensive that you'd assume that i've been "primed" by anything but my own life experiences. I hate her because the things she believes and actively acts as a forefront spokeswoman for hurts people around me, because i've lost friends because of bigoted monsters like her doing their utmost to champion causes to make the life of entirely innocent people impossible to live until they just checked out of life. Because I have to live every day knowing that life as a whole would be better if people like her would shut the hell up and fade away back to whatever poo poo-pit they originally spawned out of to plague the world with their awful and sometimes indirectly murderous behavior.

I say hate her for who she is and what she willingly, knowingly, and without any regret happily represents, and that you in particular are kind of a tool for thinking that everyone is so pluuuugged in maaan or whatever the gently caress that you assume that actual disgust with a genuinely awful human being must be the product of social media or whatever your excuse to not care is.

Or as someone else put it when responding to you

Duck and Cover posted:

I think there's a difference between not knowing and buying it, knowing and buying it anyway, and repeatedly trying to justify your lovely actions to the internet. Nobody expects you to do the research it's more don't support the super vocal piece of poo poo. Lots of people might not know but you sure as gently caress do, and here you are spending post after post trying to act like it's not even morally wrong. gently caress that and gently caress you and any other person who knows who can't even do the super difficult task of "not playing this particular videogame".

Ostracizing bigots shouldn't be considered politics. It is, but it shouldn't be.

Edit: Also, part of the (from what we know of back during development) original plot was making the anti-semitic pastiche the villains. Which is probably fair to say is in line with at least some of her views given the sorts she pals around with and works to push agendas for. Though I can't imagine they'd be crazy enough to keep that in after the backlash it received way back when. If they did then holy poo poo, what the gently caress Avalanche.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 8, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I know Rowling is a piece of poo poo, what did this videogame do to you? She got paid already whether I pirate the game or watch someone play it on youtube or not.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

I know Rowling is a piece of poo poo, what did this videogame do to you? She got paid already whether I pirate the game or not.

She's almost certainly getting royalties or profit shares off of it. Where you do think that money's going to go given what she's done with the money she made off of the series in the past? She uses her popularity and success with the franchise as a referendum to push her views intended to hurt others onto the world.

By all means, pirate the thing if you want, but don't pay a single loving cent for something like that. You're passively contributing to making the world a shittier place for some folks to live in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Archonex posted:

She's almost certainly getting royalties or profit shares off of it. Where you do think that money's going to go given what she's done with the money she made off of the series in the past? She uses her popularity and success with the franchise as a referendum to push her views intended to hurt others onto the world.

By all means, pirate the thing if you want, but don't pay a single loving cent for something like that. You're passively contributing to making the world a shittier place for some folks to live in.

I like your Harry Potter AV

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

This game is going to be bigger than Minecraft

Why just this past weekend I saw a ton of Harry Potter merch in the store and the game hasn't even been released yet!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Manager Hoyden posted:

This game is going to be bigger than Minecraft

Why just this past weekend I saw a ton of Harry Potter merch in the store and the game hasn't even been released yet!

Wow and they say original media is dead, this game hasn't even been released and people are excited about the lore!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Archonex posted:

even if she was paid a lump sum for hogwarts legacy and doesn't get royalties, you can bet that if that succeeds (and it looks like it will) then every publisher will be beating on the door begging for the rights to make the new harry potter battle royale and harry potter card game and harry potter kart racer, meaning more lump sums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it already succeeded, launch day sales are a huge portion of game revenue

still worth not giving money to rowling tho