Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey folks, the game I spent the last three and a half years working on is done! It's called Waves of Steel, and it's a ridiculous build-your-own-warship arcade naval combat game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FDsHyXf7k0

It's on sale for $15 for the rest of this week!
Holy Moses you’re the dude who made it? I didn’t know it was goon made. Great work! I’ll try it out sooner or later because it looks like my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Nancy posted:

sentai pose

I really want to emphasize this, when typing this out addressing non-Japanophile audience, nobody knows what that means. And no, don't tell me either, I don't want to know.

The same thing happened when I was discussing Hades during early access, I made a comment about how I was surprised that a character that was dismissive to the protag all of a sudden changed tack and wanted to bang. Some helpful poster replied with "Well of course, that's a well known anime trope called ____, it was obvious all along!" and... I don't know how to respond to that politely.

------------

edit:

Hey folks, the game I spent the last three and a half years working on is done! It's called Waves of Steel, and it's a ridiculous build-your-own-warship arcade naval combat game.

That game is not my jam unfortunately, but that is one heck of a sales pitch on the Steam Page; Kickflips? nice.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 7, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Serephina posted:

I really want to emphasize this, when typing this out addressing non-Japanophile audience, nobody knows what that means. And no, don't tell me either, I don't want to know.

The same thing happened when I was discussing Hades during early access, I made a comment about how I was surprised that a character that was dismissive to the protag all of a sudden changed tack and wanted to bang. Some helpful poster replied with "Well of course, that's a well known anime trope called ____, it was obvious all along!" and... I don't know how to respond to that politely.

sounds like a you problem op

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Registered here since 2005, doesnt know what sentai is? Is that really possible?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Serephina posted:

I’m old. I see poo poo like that and just assume, completely biased from exposure and experiences on The Internet, “This person holds views on Age-of-Consent laws.”

Like Bitcoiners. :aatrek:
:sickos:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it's power rangers. Sentai is power rangers.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

You can Google words and it'll tell you what they mean. Less effort than acting like your inability to learn is a point of pride

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Serephina posted:

I don't know how to respond to that politely.

"oh that's neat, thanks"

"i see, i wasnt familiar with that"

"thanks"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hentai pose

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

does anyone have that harry potter clip where the enemy just glitches/slides in front of your character and hits them? sorry it was a while back and i forgot who posted it

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

"oh that's neat, thanks"

"i see, i wasnt familiar with that"

"thanks"

I'm sympathetic to Serephina's OP, but this is still a good post.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m not googling the anime words, you can’t trick me.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Serephina posted:

Get used to our cyberpunk reality.

https://i.imgur.com/iRxEy3c.mp4
It's turned out really lame.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Serephina posted:

------------

edit:

That game is not my jam unfortunately, but that is one heck of a sales pitch on the Steam Page; Kickflips? nice.

a childe who didn't watch power rangers is a sad childe

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

how someone old enough to post in these forums and presumably had electricity growing up didn't even hear of power rangers is positively mind boggling

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I can say with 100% confidence that no american child who watched power rangers knew what sentai was or that they were watching it

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I’m not googling the anime words, you can’t trick me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

LLSix posted:

I'm sympathetic to Serephina's OP, but this is still a good post.

yeah like, i get a little annoyed when people post about stuff and act like everyone should know the very specific thing, but acting morally superior about not knowing the thing because Japan is just such a bad look

No Wave posted:

Registered here since 2005, doesnt know what sentai is? Is that really possible?

No Wave posted:

it's power rangers. Sentai is power rangers.

like i take as much issue with this - if you grew up with power rangers as a child, not only do they not stop and say "this is based on super sentai, which is part of the tokusatsu genre", most people who grew up with power rangers did not keep watching it and probably forgot a lot about it even if they were super huge fans as a child, don't be an elitist poo poo because someone doesn't know your niche interest

come the gently caress on

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

yeah like, i get a little annoyed when people post about stuff and act like everyone should know the very specific thing, but acting morally superior about not knowing the thing because Japan is just such a bad look

like i take as much issue with this - if you grew up with power rangers as a child, not only do they not stop and say "this is based on super sentai, which is part of the tokusatsu genre", most people who grew up with power rangers did not keep watching it and probably forgot a lot about it even if they were super huge fans as a child, don't be an elitist poo poo because someone doesn't know your niche interest

come the gently caress on
You don't get it. In 2005 all anyone talked about here was power rangers, pants making GBS threads, and ecto cooler.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Not knowing specific anime tropes is fine but the concept of "two characters constantly bicker and talk poo poo until they smooch in a heated moment" is an extremely common theme that has been in movies for a hundred years and books for even longer.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

imagine having the internet right there at your fingertips and completely making GBS threads yourself because you don't understand a word

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

No Wave posted:

You don't get it. In 2005 all anyone talked about here was power rangers, pants making GBS threads, and ecto cooler.

they might just have been around the pants making GBS threads threads!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Pwnstar posted:

Not knowing specific anime tropes is fine but the concept of "two characters constantly bicker and talk poo poo until they smooch in a heated moment" is an extremely common theme that has been in movies for a hundred years and books for even longer.

What are you, my wife?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Merely google the word one letter off from hentai (on your employer’s network)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Googling duck videos but my finger slips and hits the key one letter over.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I would love it if we could bring the conversation back to videogames at some point. Actually wasn't there some little tactics game that was a power rangers knockoff? Chroma Squad? Was that any good?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HopperUK posted:

I would love it if we could bring the conversation back to videogames at some point. Actually wasn't there some little tactics game that was a power rangers knockoff? Chroma Squad? Was that any good?

It was alright

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, Chroma Squad is a good time. Fun combat, good music and self-aware humor that doesn't suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm5AJLD-1yg

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there a list of what demos are worth checking out during Next Fest / additionally Steam Deck friendly?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

HopperUK posted:

Almost every night I play an hr or so of elden ring, usually beating a miniboss or cave dungeon or two. This is my second playthrough, my first was dex based and now I'm running a sword of night and flame/int base and it's pretty fun though it's a lot more spatial positioning than I normally like. The wind up takes forever to trigger.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Almost every night I play an hr or so of elden ring, usually beating a miniboss or cave dungeon or two. This is my second playthrough, my first was dex based and now I'm running a sword of night and flame/int base and it's pretty fun though it's a lot more spatial positioning than I normally like. The wind up takes forever to trigger.

More difficult or just more to think about during the fight?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harlock posted:

Is there a list of what demos are worth checking out during Next Fest / additionally Steam Deck friendly?
7th Guest usually does huge :effortless:posts about a bunch of the games that get demos in these events, just gotta wait for them to play them.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

HopperUK posted:

More difficult or just more to think about during the fight?

More to think about really. Since I'm playing a wimpy sorcerer guy I can't poise through hits so the smallest thing will knock me out of my wind-up. It's not difficult yet, though finding windows might get tough with some of the more energetic bosses toward the end. I'm up to the end of Volcano and starting the capital right now.

It helps that when it hits it hits hard.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Harlock posted:

I haven't really gotten to play a lot of demos for Next Fest, though there's a lot that looks interesting. I guess I'll review the one that I did play. I can list the others that looked interesting to me if people want though.

The Ouroboros King is a new addition to the storied "what if we took chess and made a different game out of it" subgenre. It's more of a puzzler with chess rules that lets you build up a selection of customizable pieces along with a collection of items over the course of a run, with the ability to modify how much the odds are stacked against you. It's probably not winning any game of the year awards, but if you wanted a less RNG version of Pawnbarian or less drawn out version of Chess Evolved Online, it's worth looking into.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

7th Guest usually does huge :effortless:posts about a bunch of the games that get demos in these events, just gotta wait for them to play them.
yeah i haven't been able to go crazy yet because of work. i did play a couple of demos since yesterday though:

Scene Investigators

Given that the game has been in production for a couple of years now, I'm a bit concerned that the only screenshots on the store page are of the demo itself. The KS does promise keys in May though.

This is by the dev of Painscreek Killings, a mystery walking simulator that I thought was pretty good until the weird chase scene at the end, because it just let you roam and break into buildings and figure things out yourself. Scene Investigators looks to slide right into the "Deduction" sub-genre of mystery games by giving you a crime scene and asking you questions about it. Your only interactions are to zoom in and pick up things to examine close-up (and then put back down). That's it. So it all comes down to your observation skills and the clues you find.

It's PROMISING, but not perfect. The demo locked off certain doors, which, is kind of weird for an investigation? You CAN theoretically deduce and get all the answers right, but it does feel like you have to do some stretching and leaping in your mind to get to where the devs are, which probably would have had less of a gap if you could go into those rooms.

Shadows of Doubt

Folks, we've got an immersive sim on our hands. An immersive sim with procgen, so... it's a real rollercoaster ride of ups and downs. Two of the three words, very exciting. Detective + ImmSim. Yes, very good. Third word, procgen? I have concerns.

You take on cases as a private investigator and go around hunting down leads, finding clues, and amassing a very cluttered mental pinboard (yes you can get pepe silva up in here, like the show on tv). Because it's an immsim that means you have a lot of freedom in how you do this. You can lockpick doors and shut off security systems, enter ventilation systems, break windows and jump in, or just wait until someone opens a locked door, run in and punch people until they're knocked out and you can explore in peace. There's computers with passcodes, safes with keypads, sticky notes everywhere, emails to read. It's got all the stuff you expect. It also looks like there will be augments/upgrades in the full game (I couldn't figure out how to install them in the clinic when I tried it in the demo).

HOWEVER, all that cool stuff aside, I've got issues with the proc gen. NPCs will often say the same exact poo poo to you no matter what you ask them, and their dialog hasn't been fully proofread. I encountered two separate workstations in the same building that had identically-written emails from differently-named spouses. The voxel look of the game means that NPCs don't look super distinct from each other. And we're at the surface level right now... what concerns me is that there are supposed to be procedurally-generated cases in the full game (and a sandbox mode). Granted, you can put together a Cluedo randomizer without much difficulty these days so creating standard murder investigations to solve is not like a crazy concept. But if the NPCs don't have any flavor to them, then that bodes poorly for any flavor text that I would expect from a murder mystery. It's not just about whodunnit, you gotta get to know the players involved! What their deal is! What they do in secret! Their communications with each other!

At the very least the demo case is hand-crafted, and I would assume that there will be a number of hand-crafted cases in the game as well, so if they have a decent level of quality to them, then I think this is worth a recommendation regardless of the issues I had.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

HopperUK posted:

Surely you meant Cruelty Squad, OP. Play that as well. It’s really really good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

buglord posted:

Surely you meant Cruelty Squad, OP. Play that as well. It’s really really good.

I would, but I literally have visual impairments that I think will make it even harder to look at than it is for most people.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FDsHyXf7k0

bought a copy because a friend sent me a screenshot of not!Char and his crazy ride

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

You can Google words and it'll tell you what they mean. Less effort than acting like your inability to learn is a point of pride

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All according to sentai (sentai means power rangers)