Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

MrYenko posted:

Ya the stock helicopters are all perfectly flyable, but the default control settings are pretty much what you’d design if you wanted to steer people away from ever flying them. Literally everything needs to be bound or adjusted.

Yeah the way they have them setup is mindbogling to me.

I had purchased Cowansim 206B3 and could not for the life of me get the trim to work. I knew Force Trim wasn't enabled yet due to sim limitations but couldn't believe that regular trim didn't work.

It wasn't till I dug into the controls that I saw MSFS has helo trim assignments as "cyclic lateral/longitude" instead of the normal nose up/down etc like on a fixed wing.

FWIW, X-Plane has the trim controls same across all aircraft. No clue why Asobo broke it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Yeah just bind Cyclic Trim to a hat switch and make sure your stick axis are set to Cyclic instead of Aileron/Elevator.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I spent like half an hour trying to land the Bell on the helipad that's in front of the Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai. Came close, but couldn't do it.

I tried using the special helicopter gamepad config for my xbox gamepad, but it didn't seem to work.

But I love flying the Bell over southern california at dusk in VR.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

I spent like half an hour trying to land the Bell on the helipad that's in front of the Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai. Came close, but couldn't do it.

Pff I've done it in the little yellow ultralight :cmon:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Doesn’t count if you add 60 kts of wind.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Happy Working Title Day

quote:

General Bug Fixes

Fixed unflyable helicopters when user had the legacy flight model realism settings (gyroscope) set to less than 100%
Fixed control loss of Pitch axis on helicopters when anti stall assist is “on”
Repaired snow covering 100% of airport tarmac & roads
[NavData] Fixed DeleteNavAtAirport that was removing VOR, NDB and waypoints everytime
Fixed secondary aerials sometimes overridden by Bing aerial on terrain with photogrammetry
Fixed terrain level of detail issue on Xbox
GNS 430W / GNS 530W

The simulator’s Garmin GNS 430W and GNS 530W have been upgraded to bring them much more closely in-line with their real-world counterparts:

Comprehensive visual overhaul for accurate font, symbology, look, operation, and feel
Advanced flight plan support, including support for complex departure, arrival, and approach procedures (arcs, holds, procedure turns, etc), with correct real-unit limitations (no radius-to-fix, heading, or some intercept legs)
Full RNAV support and simulation, with support for LPV, LP, LNAV/VNAV, and +V vertical guidance during approaches
GPS satellite and SBAS simulation, including orbital mechanics-based real satellite positions and accurate SBAS coverage areas, GPS status page
VNAV profile calculator page and associated reminders/alerts
Support for missed approaches and missed approach holds
Full specification-accurate ADS-B based Traffic Avoidance System
More accurate map symbology, procedure previews
Keyboard entry mode for waypoints, navaids, and direct-tos
Numerous customization options found on the real unit, such as metric/imperial units settings, map data fields settings
Satellite weather overlay support (NEXRAD)
These units have been added to the following aircraft in AAU1:

C172 Classic
Cap 10
DA-40 TDI
DV-20
L-39 (Athena, Blue Ice, Pipsqueak, Robin 1, Sarance)
P-51D (Wee Willy, Lady B, Strega, Miss America)
T-6 (Almost Perfect, Baby Boomer)
Cessna Citation CJ4 & Avionics

The Cessna Citation CJ4 avionics have been heavily upgraded to bring an authentic CJ4 avionics experience:

Comprehensive visual overhaul for accurate font, symbology, look, operation, and feel
Independent MFD and FMS operation
Advanced flight plan support, including arcs, radius-to-fix, intercepts, hold, procedure turns, missed approaches, and custom waypoint scratchpad entry
Coupled VNAV with editable constraints, flight path angles, vertical path smoothing, and VNAV-invalidation conditions
Advanced autopilot, including armable lateral and vertical modes as well as complex combined-armed modes - Full specification-accurate TCAS II traffic system
Cabin pressurization and complete Crew Alerting System
FMS performance calculations for takeoff and landing speeds
Integrated dual engine FADEC systems with N1 mode indications and accurate N1 targets
Independent display options and state-saving
Enhanced FMS Text MFD display modes
Keyboard entry mode for FMS data entry
AHRS alignment and startup sequence
Improved flight model:
Improvements to ground and crosswind handing during the takeoff and landing phases
Improvements to flight control performance accuracy, smoothness, and handling
Improvements to fuel consumption accuracy
Improvements to handling while in ground effect
Improved engine and interior sound effects
Garmin G3000 & Garmin G5000 Avionics Suites

Comprehensive visual overhaul for accurate font, symbology, look, operation, and feel, including Garmin Touch Controller (GTC) visuals that are faithful to the real unit complete with UI animations
Advanced flight plan support, including arcs, radius-to-fix, intercepts, holds, procedure turns, and missed approaches
Support for custom waypoints, including lat/lon, point/bearing/distance, and present position
Two (aircraft-dependent) styles of coupled VNAV:
Simple VNAV: Descent path VNAV only, always targets bottom-most altitude constraint
Advanced VNAV: Climb constraint and descent path VNAV, vertical path smoothing through varied constraint types, editable constraints, and flight path angles
Independent PFD and GTC options
PFDs and MFDs with full split-pane support
Support for the full set of context-dependent GTC knob controls
GPS satellite and SBAS simulation, including real orbital mechanics-based satellite positions, accurate SBAS coverage areas, and GPS status page
Comprehensive traffic system implementations, including (aircraft-dependent) spec-compliant Garmin TIS, TAS, and TCAS-II
Support for multiple layout styles, including horizontal or vertical GTCs, screen-pane options, numbers of screens, and more
Support for custom V-speed bugs, SVT, angle of attack indicator, HSI moving map, timers, minimums, and bearing pointers
A multitude of customization options, including measurement units, all saved per screen and/or aircraft
AHRS alignment and startup sequence
JavaScript plugin support for loading:
Engine Instruments and Systems (EIS) displays
Custom PFD or MFD display panes (full- or half-screen)
Custom GTC navigation, icons, and pages
Aircraft systems simulation and instrument styling
Daher TBM 930

Support and wiring for the new Garmin G3000
Support for fully coupled Basic VNAV, as found in the real aircraft
Customized and highly accurate EIS
Systems synoptic pages
Customized electrical modeling
Support for opening exterior cockpit and cabin doors
Cessna Citation Longitude

Support and wiring for the new Garmin G5000
Support for fully coupled Advanced VNAV, as found in the real aircraft
Flight model improvements:
Better feeling of direct control
Highly accurate performance numbers
Revised fuel burns
Improved ground and crosswind handling
More accurate float during the landing phase
Dual engine FADEC with accurate N1 targets, modes, and thresholds
Fully featured autothrottle system with correct AT modes/functionality and communication to and from the FMS
Custom Longitude systems synoptics pages
Customized and highly accurate Longitude EIS
Full suite of accurate CAS messages
Takeoff and Landing Data (TOLD) support with FMS takeoff and landing performance calculations
Modeled systems based on manufacturer feedback and documentation:
Bleed air system, including pressure and temperature simulations, feedback between pneumatically fed systems, and starters
Hydraulic system, including fluid-based pressures sim with realistic hydraulic accumulator behavior and system knock-on effects from hydraulically powered systems as well as full PTCU simulation
Environmental control system with cabin/cockpit air mass simulations and sounds
Automated brake system with anti-skid, wheel-up spin inhibition, and brake temperature simulations
Electrical system, including generator bus connection logic and automatic on-ground bus tie logic
Speedbrake and ground spoiler control system with automated ground spoilers and speedbrake auto-stow logic, and corrected spoiler panel behavior
Fuel system with automated fuel pump logic and temperature simulations
Cabin pressurization system fed from the bleed air system with correct climb and descent schedules, and controller modes
Anti-ice system fed from the bleed air system, with temperature simulation and engine load efficiency decreases (N1, N2, fuel flow)
Exterior lighting systems with automatic light logic, improved light levels and locations
Pre-flight system auto-tests simulation
LS8-18 and DG1001

Corrected instrument names on instrument panels and boot screens
Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue where the sim would allow an APU or engine bleed air start under the incorrect conditions
G1000 NXi:
Fixed incorrect text label in PFD arrival selection page
Fixed flight plan clearing when loading a VTF as the next leg
Fixed wind direction being shown in degrees true rather than magnetic
Fixed GPS WP distance showing 0 on a random direct-to

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

X-Plane 12 Users: Is anyone else having CTD's when trying to use replay mode?

I recently picked up the Thranda U206 Stationair and their C337F Skymaster. Having a blast with both. I just wish I could watch my landing replays!!! :argh:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB0ilSrz3kc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
is the muzak really necessary

e: The texturing work is very impressive though, I couldn't even begin to imagine how to go about pulling off a project like that. Would have been a nicer video if the work on display was allowed to speak for itself is all.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 6, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder if it'll be out by 2025.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Looks gorgeous, cannot wait until it's out. The amount of work that's gone into a free addon is insane. I'd be perfectly happy if they just released a beta right now, even if it doesn't have the bells and whistles yet. Just want to fly this beast

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Speaking of chungus planes, they're gonna put out the An-225 at the end of the month as a classic plane DLC.

I haven't bought any of those yet but I'm definitely going to now. Hopefully those planes are moddable and someone adds deep engine management.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
All of the previous famous flyers/local legends have been encrypted, so I don't think that'll change for the AN-225

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Wasn’t there talk of asobo opening up their encryption a bit more to allow some level of modding? Regardless, considering how well Inibuilds did with the A310 I have faith in how they’ll handle the 225. It might not be as deep as their airbus, and a bit gimmicky, but it’s a very cool addition. From the videos I’ve seen of it, it is an absolute beast to fly

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PMDG 737-900 dropped: https://pmdg.com/pmdg-737-900-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

I'm a little surprised it's only $49.99 whereas the -700 and -800 are $69.99. Introductory price?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Steadiman posted:

Wasn’t there talk of asobo opening up their encryption a bit more to allow some level of modding? Regardless, considering how well Inibuilds did with the A310 I have faith in how they’ll handle the 225. It might not be as deep as their airbus, and a bit gimmicky, but it’s a very cool addition. From the videos I’ve seen of it, it is an absolute beast to fly

Oh yeah if it's inibuilds then hopefully no modding would even be needed.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

PMDG 737-900 dropped: https://pmdg.com/pmdg-737-900-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

I'm a little surprised it's only $49.99 whereas the -700 and -800 are $69.99. Introductory price?

Just guessing, but it could be because the -700 and -800 include passenger, cargo, and BBJ variants. The -900 is just two very slightly different regular passenger variants. They're also kind of rare IRL so realism nerds who want to replicate actual routes will be less interested, same reason the -600 is cheap.

Theris fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 8, 2023

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Steadiman posted:

What they did was decrypt some of the files on the Premium/Deluxe edition airplanes so they could be edited, but all the marketplace content is still locked down.

That said, the encryption scheme has been cracked and all of that stuff is being pirated, so Asobo is mostly just pissing people off at this point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Edit;. Wrong thread

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Theris posted:

Just guessing, but it could be because the -700 and -800 include passenger, cargo, and BBJ variants. The -900 is just two very slightly different regular passenger variants. They're also kind of rare IRL so realism nerds who want to replicate actual routes will be less interested, same reason the -600 is cheap.

Got it. I'm just content to fly and have grown to like the -900 having sat in the back of a ton of them in the last couple years (:rip: Mad Dogs), so it seems like a win-win that it's cheap compared to the -800.

e- I remember the days of FS2004 when there were a ton of add-ons/mods and they were mostly free.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 8, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

Got it. I'm just content to fly and have grown to like the -900 having sat in the back of a ton of them in the last couple years (:rip: Mad Dogs), so it seems like a win-win that it's cheap compared to the -800.

e- I remember the days of FS2004 when there were a ton of add-ons/mods and they were mostly free.

Yes. The non functioning switches, wrong labels, and flawed procedures.

There were some awesome ones, but they did often only use an extremely cluttered 2D cockpit and barebones 3D one. I remember the FS2004 era as buggy and struggling to find the gold nuggets in the doodoo.

Making proper ones is hard work. There’s lots of good material out there that is free. But they often look like they were made by part time hobbyists…

…because they are.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I swore I'd not spend money on WWII fighters in FS2020, but I recently came into a little unexpected cash. So, I picked up the P-40E and the P-38 (after a shitshow of an experience buying through the marketplace, but I digress). Both are actually a hoot to fly even though there's no fighting to be done. I just flew the P-38 from Michigan to Alabama in a couple hours at 30,000 ft and it was pretty awesome. If they're on sale and you want something heavy and analog to blast around in, give them a go. They're a lot of fun.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Is there any good helicopter tutorial for flying with an Xbox controller?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
how much of a meme are full chair builds like this?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

how much of a meme are full chair builds like this?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’d much rather get something like this that’s modular:
https://www.monstertechusa.com/product/mts-fighter/

I think they’re pretty neat as sort of a dedicated space for sim if you have the room and funds.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

xgalaxy posted:

I’d much rather get something like this that’s modular:
https://www.monstertechusa.com/product/mts-fighter/

I think they’re pretty neat as sort of a dedicated space for sim if you have the room and funds.

Yeah i might be in the wrong thread sorry

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Yeah i might be in the wrong thread sorry

What's the right thread?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Yeah this thread and the PC sim racing threads are pretty much the place to go for "expensive sim poo poo"

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Yooper posted:

What's the right thread?

I want to make a battletech pod for playing mechwarrior online and I wanted to ask about sticks and poo poo. also for War Thunder

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I want to make a battletech pod for playing mechwarrior online and I wanted to ask about sticks and poo poo. also for War Thunder

Yah, this is the right place.

Ask away!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Yooper posted:

Yah, this is the right place.

Ask away!

um

Do you have general info for me? I was told sticks are terrible for MWO and war thunder.

but im a big fan of immersion

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 18, 2023

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

but im a big fan of immersion

I've not tried either with a joystick, but foot pedals, throttle, and a joystick sounds pretty sweet for MWO. Add a VR headset and gently caress yah, you're a mechwarrior.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

um

Do you have general info for me? I was told sticks are terrible for MWO and war thunder.

Sticks aren't really necessary for War Thunder's Arcade and Realistic modes beyond "sticks are fun" (which is a legit enough reason; video games are supposed to be fun), but sticks are great for the Simulation mode, which is more of a "sim-lite" mode designed for sticks.

Disclaimer: I haven't played WT in like 5 years and some of the above terms may no longer exist.

There are several "boutique" companies that make superb quality sticks, throttles and pedals, and you can't really go wrong with any of them. VKB's Gladiator NXT line offers excellent bang for the buck, and it is a common enough brand that most cockpit setups will offer a mount for their products. I can't speak personally for Virpil, but they're also a popular option, and they sell a sick-looking throttle that I keep having to stop myself from buying, because I love spending money but am too tired to actually play.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

That would be A Mistake, as MWO literally ruins your mech's performance if you use a joystick.

Ask about this in the actual MWO thread to learn more!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Shine posted:

Disclaimer: I haven't played WT in like 5 years and some of the above terms may no longer exist.

I relapsed into WT lately and it's shocking how little has changed (to the game modes, there are of course new vehicles out the rear end)

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Yep I still play WT regularly. Arcade and Realistic game modes are dominated by mouse & keyboard users as they play out more like a shooter than a flight sim.

Sim mode definitely shines with a joystick setup and is a ton of fun. I hate what a lot of the game itself has turned into these days with the grind and repair cost economy but it's still a blast to get into a big furball in a lobby full of low BR planes. If you don't care about progressing past WWII then it's still a pretty good time.

https://giant.gfycat.com/DeepPerfectGelada.mp4

:thumbsup:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kesper North posted:

That would be A Mistake, as MWO literally ruins your mech's performance if you use a joystick.

Ask about this in the actual MWO thread to learn more!

Im fine with a keyboard too honestly.

How about Mech 2/3/4/5? The single player stuff should be ok with a joyetick, no?

Something like this works: https://mechwarrior.com/mechcon/about/super-pods

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I took another flight yesterday in a full-sized A320 sim with a real pilot in the co-pilot seat. The place I go to usually does flights for people who receive them as gifts, so the staff is happy to have someone with some sim experience. I already went there a few times and despite the fact it's not a full motion sim, it's a crazy readjustment to do all the things you're used to not on a screen.

Yesterday the plan was more ambitious - instead of flying A to B, we did an evaluation flight based on the procedure used by Wizz Air to test candidates. Took off from Gatwick in the dark, 400ft visibility, no FD or AP allowed. After take off, you're required to keep the nose at a specific angle, while maintaining a specified VS, then doing the after take-of attack angle reduction. This is horrible, as my brain was still adjusting to the cabin and instruments, and you have to do the throttle/joystick/PFD/cockpit cleanup plus controlling your vectors.

Next step is stabilized flight at 5000 ft and 320 kt, tolerance of +/-200 ft (busted almost immediately but by a few feet; later on as I got more tired, maintaining alt was super difficult during the maneuvers). Next step is controlled ascent, +1000 vs, controlled descent -1000 ft, then standard left and right turns, where you have to keep the plane at a 25 degree angle (I think, the degree values became hazy since there was so much number involved later on) , stopping the nose from dropping and maintaining speed which keeps dropping due to drag. The Airbus system does a fair bit of heavy lifting here by correcting the pitch angle, which it doesn't on the next exercise - an orbit at a 45 degree bank angle. I found this the most difficult thing of the day, because the amount of different vectors you have to work on is both confusing and overloading.

This concluded the evaluation part, and the instructor suggested we practice manual holds. I rarely use holds when simming at home, not to mention doing them by hand. Yesterday I had to do the whole thing by hand, using a chrono and practicing different ways of entering the hold from different angles, including a parallel and teardrop entry. Adding and subtracting angles while your maintaining level flight is something else. Finally went back to Gatwick and shot a basic CAT I ILS barely above minima. 2.5 hours flight time. After walking out of the sim, I felt I've used parts of my brain I probably did not have or never used before, because I found walking straight kinda difficult for the first 20 minutes.

If you've simmed but you've never done any real flying or certifications, I really recommend shelling out a bit of cash for an hour-long flight in a full sim. It's something else. I'm not looking to become a pilot or anything, but having a dude tell you all the real procedure and being able to physically plop the no smoking sign (and flying, that part is cool too) is amazing.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
That’s cool! The auto trim system on the A320 really helps for hand flying. Did they let you use the auto throttles?

One of my favorite activities when I have 20 minutes to burn is doing touch and go circuits with an airliner.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Absolutely no autothrottle or any AP for 2.5 hrs straight. Definitely my record!